Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Realms of the Dragons Dec 04

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Zacas Posted - 06 Nov 2003 : 18:59:41
Oooohhhh... just saw this being listed in the new Best of the Realms anthology and now i'm curious... hehe... dun suppose any of the famous authors that occasionally decide to drop by the famous halls of this glorious library... (hmm... stop the suckup noises :P) can give a few details maybe?
22   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sarelle Posted - 06 Aug 2004 : 18:38:26
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

ARHHH! How could I forgot Zip! And her deepdragon boyfriend!

It would seem that the draconic bodies are piling up. I'm. . . I'm . . . ::sob::

"Out! Out, damned spot!"

BADD might have to pay you a visit! All those poor dragons...

Okay, I'll stop the guilt-tripping! It's just that I'm so good at it ever since my mother said "This injection won't hurt AT ALL!"

Your secret is safe with me, Ms. Cunningham!
Murray Leeder Posted - 06 Aug 2004 : 16:55:20
I killed off the very first dragon I wrote (excluding some juvenalia), the white dragon Glaze in Plague of Ice. But if want to see a story where the dragons really get the last laugh, I recommend checking out "Wyrm Food" in this anthology: http://www.silverlakepublishing.com/catalog/frwaw.html. I actually wrote it last year with the Realms of the Dragons anthology (at that point just a name, something on the horizon that I might able to participate in) in mind. But ultimately I thought, why not try to place it somewhere else and write something more Realms-specific instead? But I am quite fond of it, just about my own stab at (pretty grim) humour. It's also a mammoth homage to Iron Chef.

My Realms of the Dragons II story, "The Strength of the Jester," claims another one, in, I think, the most satisfying action sequence I've written yet.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Aug 2004 : 15:26:13
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

May be we should set the people from BADD on Rich!

(Bothered About Disposable Dragons not the pack of religious fanatics)

That reminds me... Quite some time ago, back in the days when 2nd edition was still new and shiny, someone wrote a letter to Dragon Magazine. They were complaining about the painting by Larry Elmore in that book, the first full page of artwork, right after the table of contents.

If you're not familiar with the pic, it's a "group photo"-type shot. Several adventurers are standing under a tree. Hanging from a limb of the tree is a very small dragon that they obviously just killed.

The complaining person was saying "I can't believe you condone the killing of baby dragons!"

The somewhat flip response was along the lines of "But that's the only time it's easy to kill them!"
ElaineCunningham Posted - 06 Aug 2004 : 14:44:15
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle
{Oh and two - three if you count both of Zip's heads - dragons die in Daughter of the Drow, fighting each other)[/size=1]

ARHHH! How could I forgot Zip! And her deepdragon boyfriend!

It would seem that the draconic bodies are piling up. I'm. . . I'm . . . ::sob::

"Out! Out, damned spot!"
ElaineCunningham Posted - 06 Aug 2004 : 14:40:39
quote:

Not that I would dare to disagree with an FR author, much less the wonderful lady Cunningham, but you mentioned that you killed only 2 dragons - Evermeet: Island of Elves had the poor creatures drop like flies. But in those cases, they were all killed by feats of High Magic, or other dragons.

D'oh! ::slaps forehead:: I forgot about that. You might say that I didn't exactly kill those dragons, but simply reported their deaths.

Either way, would you do me a favor: if you run into my son Andrew, could you refrain from mentioning this bit of Realmslore?
Dargoth Posted - 06 Aug 2004 : 12:49:34
quote:

What about the Rage? I'd assume that a fair few get lumped in that. (Oh and two - three if you count both of Zip's heads - dragons die in Daughter of the Drow, fighting each other)

Hmmm Rich Byers may have more, The Styx Dragon, The Black Dragon in the town at the start (or was it 2 Black Dragons) and a Dracolich

May be we should set the people from BADD on Rich!

(Bothered About Disposable Dragons not the pack of religious fanatics)
Sarelle Posted - 06 Aug 2004 : 12:15:53
What about the Rage? I'd assume that a fair few get lumped in that. (Oh and two - three if you count both of Zip's heads - dragons die in Daughter of the Drow, fighting each other)
Dargoth Posted - 06 Aug 2004 : 11:55:33
I think Outside of ECs novel Evermeet (When the elves slaughter most of the dragons in a Dragon rage) Ed Greenwoods got the next Highest Dragon body count in single novel, 2 Dracoliches a Black Dragon in Spellfire
Sarelle Posted - 06 Aug 2004 : 11:40:36
Not that I would dare to disagree with an FR author, much less the wonderful lady Cunningham, but you mentioned that you killed only 2 dragons - Evermeet: Island of Elves had the poor creatures drop like flies. But in those cases, they were all killed by feats of High Magic, or other dragons.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 06 Aug 2004 : 03:46:16
Several authors from the upcoming anthology (not to mention Realms of the Dragons II, coming in May 2005 and featuring new FR writers) have shared some thoughts about dragons in fiction. Here's the link: www.dnddragonsblog.blogspot.com
DDH_101 Posted - 06 Aug 2004 : 00:05:25
All I know is that in Realms of the Dragons that there will be a story by Paul S. Kemp about Furlinastis, the shadow dragon in the Erevis Cale trilogy. He mentioned that inside the "Dawn of Night" thread when I asked him about Kesson Rel and the debt that Furlinastis had paid back to Erevis and his companions.
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 05 Aug 2004 : 21:02:59
My story in the anthology is called "The Prisoner of Hulburg." It stars Will and Pavel from the trilogy, serves as a bridge between Books One and Two, resolves a leftover subplot from The Rage, and answers some questions that hardcore FR fans may have concerning the Rage currently under way.
SiriusBlack Posted - 05 Aug 2004 : 18:50:16
quote:
Originally posted by dbassingthwaite

I wouldn't believe Amazon - they probably picked the date up at some possibly very early date and their system is feeding off it automatically. Wizards.com has October in their catalogue.

I'd actually believe the marketing information that shows on the Wizards site - if the book was out this month, they'd likely be making more of a fuss about it (and almost certainly trying to get it available for the audience at GenCon).

Of course, I could be wrong.

Don

I'd agree with you having had fantasy release dates in the past from Amazon (The upcoming George R.R. Martin was my favorite so far). However, I noticed a something else. WOTC has this novel as an October release which means mid-September it could come available if it follows the release pattern of recently released FR novels.

With that line of thinking, Mistress of the Night, out in September according to WOTC should be possibly available in a week or so. However, in going to AdAll, I see that more than a couple of vendors are now listing Mistress of the Night as coming out in December and others are still saying September. Anyone know if Mistress' original release date was December and some sights are just slow in updating? Or has there been some possible shuffling of the WOTC novel release schedule?
dbassingthwaite Posted - 05 Aug 2004 : 17:51:32
I wouldn't believe Amazon - they probably picked the date up at some possibly very early date and their system is feeding off it automatically. Wizards.com has October in their catalogue.

I'd actually believe the marketing information that shows on the Wizards site - if the book was out this month, they'd likely be making more of a fuss about it (and almost certainly trying to get it available for the audience at GenCon).

Of course, I could be wrong.

Don
SiriusBlack Posted - 05 Aug 2004 : 16:46:43
Well, my Amazon Plog just informed me that this anthology has been released and will ship within 2-3 days.

I knew that the anthology had been pushed up, but I'm still surprised at this news as I thought we had another month even with WOTC's early release on many paperback novels factored in.
Edward Bolme Posted - 12 Nov 2003 : 20:51:13
Please hold no expectations about my story; I guarantee you that it will be very different from other stories in the collection. I'd rather you approached it with an open mind.
George Krashos Posted - 11 Nov 2003 : 11:56:12
And please Edward give the dragon a draconic sounding name ala the many and various Wyrms of the North articles (the one in Dragon #245 - Lhammaruntosz, actually has a little spiel on dragon names in FR ...). So please give it a name and then feel free to give it a cognomen like "Blackclaw" or "Acidhorns", etc. Looking forward to it. Care to give us any hints as to which fetid bog of the Realms is going to house your black dragon?

-- George Krashos
The Cardinal Posted - 10 Nov 2003 : 17:01:53
If this is true then I am eager to see it's release!
And to you Edward Bolme, I wish you Luck and wisdom for your story and eagerly await that one more than any other in the book, since we ALL know that BLACK Dragons are the BEST of ALL Dragon Kind
Lord Rad Posted - 10 Nov 2003 : 16:55:36
quote:
Originally posted by Edward Bolme

Yes, it'll be a collection of dragon-themed stories. My understanding is that there will be no more than one story covering a dragon of a specific color. I've got the one for the black dragon.

Wow, this sounds like its gonna be one hell of an anthology! Looks like youve got one of the best (and most challenging) one allocated to you there Edward
Edward Bolme Posted - 10 Nov 2003 : 16:39:58
Yes, it'll be a collection of dragon-themed stories. My understanding is that there will be no more than one story covering a dragon of a specific color. I've got the one for the black dragon.
KlarthAilerion Posted - 07 Nov 2003 : 03:17:10
I'm sure that Realms of the Dragons will be similar to what has been done with Realms of the Deep and Realms of Shadow... a collection of similar-themed short stories to help flesh out the characters, settings, and plot lines of the upcoming Trilogy.
Lord Rad Posted - 06 Nov 2003 : 23:40:05
Hmmmm its a long way off til this is released so I doubt we'll get any information on it. Its down as part of the next Realms event of the Year of Rogue Dragons, so I guess it is likely to contain short stories stemming from book 1 of the trilogy out in Q1\Q2 of 2004.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000