Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 90s or 00s

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
swifty Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 21:58:25
just wondering what peoples thought were on which decade was better for the quality of the novels that came out.id have to give the 00s the edge.the brilliant scions of arrabar trilogy by thomas reid and the essential cities series.and the emergence of paul kemp to boot.although i do believe that the drizzt novels were far stronger in the 90s.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Caolin Posted - 04 Mar 2011 : 21:17:23
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Thanks for the kind word, GMW. I would love to write something that focus on dwarves. In practical terms, however, the "bearded women" notion is one of the main deterrents to a focus on FR dwarves in novels.

Elves are slender, graceful, beautiful, eternally young. Dwarves don't fit the widely accepted image of beauty. That matters, perhaps more that it should.

A while back, I read an article about the making of the movie "Avatar." Early concepts for the Na'vi race were more...alien. It was decided that one of the criteria for Na'vi design had to be a positive response to the question, "Would I hit that?"

Trust me, I would love to write about a dwarven warrior who was more Sean Connery than comic relief. For that matter, the typical dwarven characters of honor and valor and sheer physical hardiness provide a solid foundation for a male protagonist, physical appear aside. But few readers want to envision short, stout, bearded women for 326 pages, no matter HOW handy they are with a battle axe.

It really saddens me to read this. Even though I understand the reality of what the marketers say. There is a reason I will never be able to watch Avatar all the way through. It is very obvious that they played to the lowest common denominator in their projected viewing audience. It's sad when artists are forced to lower their standards to reach those who can't understand. They should be aspiring to higher standards so as to challenge their audience and raise the collective understanding. So there is my rant.

As for a story about a female dwarf protagonist, I feel that if the story is well written it could be about slime mold and people would read it. I am sure if you wrote it Elaine, it would be an amazing story indeed. But, I think the desire is there for a dwarf centric novel. If only WoTC would see it.
Dennis Posted - 03 Mar 2011 : 06:00:12
quote:
Originally posted by GMWestermeyer

I wish Lynn Abbey had written more, but she has a lot of other work to keep her busy.

Agreed. I thoroughly enjoyed her The Simbul's Gift.

quote:
Originally posted by GMWestermeyer
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis
I received not a few recommendations to read Ring of Winter. I read the blurb and some reviews; I wasn't interested at all. And what's with the ridiculous talking wombats, anyway?

(all IMO though that should be obvious)

Ring of Winter is a good novel but not a good FR novel. I'm a big fan of the lost worlds/exploratory fiction idea (I'm active in Space:1889 fandom), and this is a fine example. It would have worked extremely well set in Masque of the Red Death with Cimber travelling to a lost island. Actually, very little would have been needed to change it to that setting.

As an FR novel it has the wrong feel, it is sort of anachornistic though since it is in an imaginary time and place that isn't quite the right word.

Anyway, I really like the novel, just an off feel for FR.

I sampled the first chapter. Nah, too bland for my taste. I moved on after those excruciatingly boring first few pages.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 02 Mar 2011 : 17:23:43
Thanks for the kind word, GMW. I would love to write something that focus on dwarves. In practical terms, however, the "bearded women" notion is one of the main deterrents to a focus on FR dwarves in novels.

Elves are slender, graceful, beautiful, eternally young. Dwarves don't fit the widely accepted image of beauty. That matters, perhaps more that it should.

A while back, I read an article about the making of the movie "Avatar." Early concepts for the Na'vi race were more...alien. It was decided that one of the criteria for Na'vi design had to be a positive response to the question, "Would I hit that?"

Trust me, I would love to write about a dwarven warrior who was more Sean Connery than comic relief. For that matter, the typical dwarven characters of honor and valor and sheer physical hardiness provide a solid foundation for a male protagonist, physical appear aside. But few readers want to envision short, stout, bearded women for 326 pages, no matter HOW handy they are with a battle axe.

GMWestermeyer Posted - 02 Mar 2011 : 05:16:55

I guess the 90s though I tend to think in terms of authors, not decades. I thought Elaine Cunningham was the best FR writer followed by Jeff Grubb. I wish Lynn Abbey had written more, but she has a lot of other work to keep her busy. But Rich Baker's Last Mythal books really blew me away and those are 00s I believe. After Elaine he is the best writer for FR elves.

Hmmm. Too bad the Realms has prodcued a good dwarven writer yet. At least, that i am aware of. I wish the dwarves had had a someone like Elaine writing novels about them back in the day. :)

quote:
I received not a few recommendations to read Ring of Winter. I read the blurb and some reviews; I wasn't interested at all. And what's with the ridiculous talking wombats, anyway?

(all IMO though that should be obvious)

Ring of Winter is a good novel but not a good FR novel. I'm a big fan of the lost worlds/exploratory fiction idea (I'm active in Space:1889 fandom), and this is a fine example. It would have worked extremely well set in Masque of the Red Death with Cimber travelling to a lost island. Actually, very little would have been needed to change it to that setting.

As an FR novel it has the wrong feel, it is sort of anachornistic though since it is in an imaginary time and place that isn't quite the right word.

Anyway, I really like the novel, just an off feel for FR.

Quale Posted - 17 Feb 2011 : 22:43:16
Overall I think the quality increased in the 00's, still a couple of novels from the 90's are my favorite.
Ayrik Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 07:02:09
quote:
Caolin

Honestly in order it's the 80's, 90's, and the 00's for me. But I wouldn't say that the novels got worse. I think the luster and shine just slowly wears off as I get older. Plus with all of the edition madness mucking up the novels, it's kind of hard to maintain that original love I had for the Realms.
Right on the money. Sturgeon's Law applies as usual, in the early days much of the fiction was comparatively unsophisticated, in recent times it's oversophisticated; some novels manage to transcend the others regardless of the decade in which they're written.
The Sage Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 06:37:26
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

So field a Cryx army. Steam-powered undead! Iron liches are, in particular, an interesting idea to me.
Hmmmm. I've been thinking of Cryx. Or Menoth, for that matter. But as you and I have discussed elsewhere... Iron liches are indeed an attractive option!
quote:
And then we can continue our occasional "my faction is better than yours!" sniping. At least until you admit that I'm right, just like I am with the FedSuns.
Sorry friend. My respect for the Greater Humanity of the Capellan Confederation knows no bounds.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 06:04:28
*in best Mod voice* Can we please get back to the topic? *snickers* Speaking of- it's hard for me to say. There were novels out of each decade that I loved, but overall, I'd have to say my favorites were from the 90's.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 04:53:26
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

quote:

And I was reading White Dwarf during that timeframe, at least off and on -- and it was solid GW content by that time.

I still read White Dwarf, actually. Even though I preferred it when the magazine featured extensive gaming content, it's still a quality publication for all-things-Games Workshop.

My interest in things GW dwindled a long time ago. I've still got a few of the minis and my Space Wolf Codexes, but that's about it. I actually dumped most of the minis I had and used that money/store credit to get Warmachine stuff.

I really have to rejuvenate my interest in WARMACHINE. I don't bother with WH or WH40K as much as I used to. And by that, I mean I'm not purchasing any new miniatures. My armies for both settings are largely complete, and I'm satisfied with them. I just don't have any motivation at the moment, to start a new army -- unless a new series of Necrons are released.

So field a Cryx army. Steam-powered undead! Iron liches are, in particular, an interesting idea to me.

And then we can continue our occasional "my faction is better than yours!" sniping. At least until you admit that I'm right, just like I am with the FedSuns.
The Sage Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 04:26:35
quote:

quote:

quote:

And I was reading White Dwarf during that timeframe, at least off and on -- and it was solid GW content by that time.

I still read White Dwarf, actually. Even though I preferred it when the magazine featured extensive gaming content, it's still a quality publication for all-things-Games Workshop.

My interest in things GW dwindled a long time ago. I've still got a few of the minis and my Space Wolf Codexes, but that's about it. I actually dumped most of the minis I had and used that money/store credit to get Warmachine stuff.

I really have to rejuvenate my interest in WARMACHINE. I don't bother with WH or WH40K as much as I used to. And by that, I mean I'm not purchasing any new miniatures. My armies for both settings are largely complete, and I'm satisfied with them. I just don't have any motivation at the moment, to start a new army -- unless a new series of Necrons are released.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 03:31:30
quote:

quote:

The Sage Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 00:26:03
quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Feb 2011 : 22:59:09
swifty Posted - 14 Feb 2011 : 22:37:39
quote:
Originally posted by Tarrok of Halruaa

Do you mean White Dwarf, Swifty? That used to cover a whole range of different RPG products before it became exclusively Warhammer focused...

no.it no longer exists.they used to sell it in wh smith back about 94-95.only lasted a couple of years.
Tarrok of Halruaa Posted - 14 Feb 2011 : 19:14:00
Do you mean White Dwarf, Swifty? That used to cover a whole range of different RPG products before it became exclusively Warhammer focused...
swifty Posted - 02 Feb 2011 : 11:03:00
i remember a magazine around the early to mid 90s that was very similar to dragon.they used to do book reviews.i remember war in tethyr getting 2 out of 10.i bought it regardless and they were generous with their score.anyone know the name of the mag.might have been uk only.
Dennis Posted - 02 Feb 2011 : 05:38:03
quote:

I'd still recommend a reading of every novel published... at least once, if you're able.

I would DIE of sheer boredom if I read ALL Drizzt novels.
The Sage Posted - 02 Feb 2011 : 05:21:15
quote:

quote:

quote:

I can't recall a Harpers novel that I like. Red Magic would have been one, had the Harpers been other than those in that book! A ridiculous centaur, a stupid druid, and a garish, annoying sorceress---what a trio! Maligor should have transmuted them into roaches.

You never read Ring of Winter or Masquerade, I'm guessing. I'd mention Elaine's books, but I'm thinking you may not be that fond of elves...

Really? Ring of Winter is a particular favourite among many scribes here at Candlekeep -- myself included.

Regardless, I'd still recommend a reading of every novel published... at least once, if you're able. It's worth making your own opinions about particular novels, than basing your decision on what others have to say about them.
Dennis Posted - 02 Feb 2011 : 04:44:29
quote:

quote:

I can't recall a Harpers novel that I like. Red Magic would have been one, had the Harpers been other than those in that book! A ridiculous centaur, a stupid druid, and a garish, annoying sorceress---what a trio! Maligor should have transmuted them into roaches.

You never read Ring of Winter or Masquerade, I'm guessing. I'd mention Elaine's books, but I'm thinking you may not be that fond of elves...

Oh, you're right about the elves. I guess almost all scribes here at the Keep know of my undying love for those small creatures. I tend to profess my love for them at any opportunity I've got. Just like this very moment!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Feb 2011 : 04:22:31
quote:

The Sage Posted - 02 Feb 2011 : 02:33:19
Yeah, about the "Monsters" series? That warranted a hearty laugh indeed.
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 02 Feb 2011 : 01:37:03
Sage, I liked your comment better before you corrected the typo!

Cheers,

Christopher
Dennis Posted - 02 Feb 2011 : 01:28:25

The Sage Posted - 02 Feb 2011 : 00:28:27
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by swifty

for me the novels really dipped in the late 90s.idont think they dipped that much in the 00s.i mean the harpers went on far too long and does anyone remember the truly awful nobles series.

I would have liked more Harpers books, myself. Granted, there were some less-than-wonderful offerings in that series, but some of my faves also come from that run.

Actually, I've often thought that the "Harpers" novels could have naturally progressed into a series about the Harper Schism, and the eventual creation of the Moonstars. With, perhaps, a "Moonstars" novel series following later, in a similar style to the "Harpers" series.
Dennis Posted - 01 Feb 2011 : 23:47:42
quote:

for me the novels really dipped in the late 90s.idont think they dipped that much in the 00s.i mean the harpers went on far too long and does anyone remember the truly awful nobles series.

I've not read all the novels in The Nobles series. But I had fun reading The Simbul's Gift.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Feb 2011 : 23:17:08
quote:

I would have liked more Harpers books, myself. Granted, there were some less-than-wonderful offerings in that series, but some of my faves also come from that run.
swifty Posted - 01 Feb 2011 : 22:40:03
Caolin Posted - 01 Feb 2011 : 08:09:45
Honestly in order it's the 80's, 90's, and the 00's for me. But I wouldn't say that the novels got worse. I think the luster and shine just slowly wears off as I get older. Plus with all of the edition madness mucking up the novels, it's kind of hard to maintain that original love I had for the Realms.
GRYPHON Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 15:26:50
90's...
Alisttair Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 14:36:21
Pretty even keel for me.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000