Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Gauntlgrym and Realms Interconnectivity (spoilers)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ecaporaso Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 17:22:37
My favorite moments in Forgotten Realms books occur when when there are novel interactions between characters which were developed in different books/series and/or by different authors. Even references to major powers in the land (as occurs in many books with regard to Elminster, for example) gives me a twinge of excitement and reminds me how rewarding it is to have read enough Forgotten Realms books to have a relatively comprehensive understanding of its history/celebrities/ETC. All that being said, I am about a third of the way through Gauntlgrym by Salvatore...

My inner nerd is practically shivering with excitement at what seems to be a developing point of interface between the heroes of Mithril Hall and Szass Tam of Thay. I'll admit I'm slightly resentful of the Szass Tam character being handed over to Salvatore, as it is to Richard Lee Byer's masterful trilogy that I attribute my renewed interest in Thay/Szass Tam in general [prior to Haunted Lands, I more or less regarded Thay as a bottomless reservoir of antagonist for Aglarondan heroes]. Nonetheless...

I am really excited to see what happens.

29   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ayrik Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 11:03:15
Actually, I wasn't as impressed by the Dream Vestige. Just another Crimson Cloud variant to me (ie: nasty undead fog which somehow feeds off your life force).
Dennis Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 10:28:37
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I don't think RAS would ever make Drizzt fight Tam. Besides, I heard Drizzt usually leaves wizard opponents for his wizard/priest allies to fight. So why would the dark elf be stupid to face Tam now? He slew a thousand orcs. Big deal. Could he vanquish Tam's MILLIONS OF UNDEAD---which (thanks to Xingax's ceaseless experiments) include intelligent ones? He's fast and strong. But he's not immune to feeling tired, while the undead certainly don't tire.

I thought that Xingax and many of his special minions were killed around 1385?

He likely left behind many more special minions though. It is also likely that Tam has promoted many powerful red wizards by this time. His own collection of Zulkirs.

In all honesty, I am more pepped for the introduction of more Shadovar troops. The next book Neverwinter wood might focus more on that aspect of the northern invasion. Alengi and co were more minor characters in Gauntlgrym, and given Dahlia's history with Alegni, and Drizzt's with Barrabus/Entreri, I am looking forward more to that.

The dozens of Red Wizards who "assisted" the twisted demonic fetus most likely continue its incredible experiments.

Introduction of more Shade troops? Hah! I'd devour that book forthwith and ignore the fact that Drizzt is there.
Dennis Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 10:22:25
quote:
Originally posted by Ecaporaso

quote:

quote:

I don't think RAS would ever make Drizzt fight Tam. Besides, I heard Drizzt usually leaves wizard opponents for his wizard/priest allies to fight. So why would the dark elf be stupid to face Tam now? He slew a thousand orcs. Big deal. Could he vanquish Tam's MILLIONS OF UNDEAD---which (thanks to Xingax's ceaseless experiments) include intelligent ones? He's fast and strong. But he's not immune to feeling tired, while the undead certainly don't tire.

Speaking of Xingax and the menagerie of undead critters wreaking havok in Thay...

Does anyone recall that 'fog' creature that caused so much devastation in the 2nd(?) book of the haunted lands trilogy. I forget what it was called, but surely someone here knows.

Are there any stats on it?

I can never forget it because it's one of the many fascinating things in the series, not to mention the cause of Bareris's "assumed" death. It's called DREAM VESTIGE.
Ecaporaso Posted - 29 Jan 2011 : 04:41:33
quote:

quote:

Speaking of Xingax and the menagerie of undead critters wreaking havok in Thay...

Does anyone recall that 'fog' creature that caused so much devastation in the 2nd(?) book of the haunted lands trilogy. I forget what it was called, but surely someone here knows.

Are there any stats on it?
Firestorm Posted - 28 Jan 2011 : 00:46:38
quote:

quote:

He likely left behind many more special minions though. It is also likely that Tam has promoted many powerful red wizards by this time. His own collection of Zulkirs.

In all honesty, I am more pepped for the introduction of more Shadovar troops. The next book Neverwinter wood might focus more on that aspect of the northern invasion. Alengi and co were more minor characters in Gauntlgrym, and given Dahlia's history with Alegni, and Drizzt's with Barrabus/Entreri, I am looking forward more to that.
The Red Walker Posted - 27 Jan 2011 : 23:18:05
quote:

Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 27 Jan 2011 : 20:08:43
quote:

Indeed. I will have to check out that campaign guide. When will it be coming out?
Look for it around GenCon time (August).

Cheers
Firestorm Posted - 27 Jan 2011 : 18:38:54
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

This is a great scroll that transcends the all-too-common "Drizzt could beat XXX? Yes/No" meme. Carry on!

I wanted to add two things:

1) If you're liking the Thay connection in RAS's novels, I highly recommend checking out the forthcoming Neverwinter Campaign Guide. (Y'all knew the shameless plug was coming--but seriously, there's a tie there.)

2) Szass Tam is definitely an *end of all things* sort of foe. He's a threat I could see my current 4e FR party facing (they're all 8th level at the moment, but I'm the sort of DM who thinks ahead).

Cheers

Indeed. I will have to check out that campaign guide. When will it be coming out?
Firestorm Posted - 27 Jan 2011 : 18:38:08
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sadly, the only real realm scene thus far we got to see huge showdown between high powered magic vs Shadow weave users was when Khelben Blacktaff, Alustriel Silverhand, Storm Silverhand, Dove Falchonhand, Laeral Silverhand decided to infiltrate the Shade enclave. And they pretty much got their butts kicked by Telamont Tanthul and the princes in combat near the shadow Mythallar. Amazingly, Telamont Tanthul was the only guy we have ever seen block Silver fire(With a shadow spell shield). Poor Alustriel was cleaved a foot and a half from collarbone to chest by Aglarel Tanthul before her contingency magic teleported her away.

God I loved that fight sequence, even if all they did was crack the Mythallar and run. 5 Chosen of Mystra and they had to run.

I also like that scene. I think the Chosen would have suffered more had Telamont not been been busy controlling the mythallar during the fight. Or you could say there would have been a significant difference had Elminster been there.

Or the Simbul or Rivalen (Who was dead at this point) haha. I also loved the scene where Rivalen and a few other princes went to shadowdale and Storm shot off silverfire at a shadovar for the first time. Opps, tear into hell.

He was not dead. Towards the end of The Siege, before Vangey could destroy him, he had teleported to safety. Or rather, his remaining body parts had vanished before Vangey could get his hand on them. I quoted that scene before, somewhere in these hallowed halls.

I do recall hearing that hypothetical, but later hearing another hypothetical explaination involving his ressurection or his shadow self.
Dennis Posted - 26 Jan 2011 : 23:55:46

Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 26 Jan 2011 : 23:19:19
This is a great scroll that transcends the all-too-common "Drizzt could beat XXX? Yes/No" meme. Carry on!

I wanted to add two things:

1) If you're liking the Thay connection in RAS's novels, I highly recommend checking out the forthcoming Neverwinter Campaign Guide. (Y'all knew the shameless plug was coming--but seriously, there's a tie there.)

2) Szass Tam is definitely an *end of all things* sort of foe. He's a threat I could see my current 4e FR party facing (they're all 8th level at the moment, but I'm the sort of DM who thinks ahead).

Cheers
Dennis Posted - 26 Jan 2011 : 22:34:24
quote:

quote:

quote:

Sadly, the only real realm scene thus far we got to see huge showdown between high powered magic vs Shadow weave users was when Khelben Blacktaff, Alustriel Silverhand, Storm Silverhand, Dove Falchonhand, Laeral Silverhand decided to infiltrate the Shade enclave. And they pretty much got their butts kicked by Telamont Tanthul and the princes in combat near the shadow Mythallar. Amazingly, Telamont Tanthul was the only guy we have ever seen block Silver fire(With a shadow spell shield). Poor Alustriel was cleaved a foot and a half from collarbone to chest by Aglarel Tanthul before her contingency magic teleported her away.

God I loved that fight sequence, even if all they did was crack the Mythallar and run. 5 Chosen of Mystra and they had to run.

I also like that scene. I think the Chosen would have suffered more had Telamont not been been busy controlling the mythallar during the fight. Or you could say there would have been a significant difference had Elminster been there.

Or the Simbul or Rivalen (Who was dead at this point) haha. I also loved the scene where Rivalen and a few other princes went to shadowdale and Storm shot off silverfire at a shadovar for the first time. Opps, tear into hell.

He was not dead. Towards the end of The Siege, before Vangey could destroy him, he had teleported to safety. Or rather, his remaining body parts had vanished before Vangey could get his hand on them. I quoted that scene before, somewhere in these hallowed halls.
Dennis Posted - 26 Jan 2011 : 22:29:40

And the Shadovar are equally overpowerful...or they would have been easily defeated.
The Red Walker Posted - 26 Jan 2011 : 20:08:26
quote:

quote:

Nah. By the time most of that went down, Gareth and Co were about Drizzt level. At least if you go by the old sourcebooks lol.

In any case, you are right, and eventually some of the greater good powers will band together. Problem is, there are other problems at large with superpowers around as well. Such as the Shadovar(Who in my opinion, are a much greater threat than Tam and Thay)

quote:

Now this is a fight I would love to see. As far as villains go, I find Szass Tam to be more charismatic (than the Shadovar). Plus, I find that characters who utilize the shadow weave often seem arbitrarily over powered... I'd like to see them smacked around by some 'conventional' magic users.

quote:

Luckily the chosen are all overpowerful super-hero types....or they would have all died
Firestorm Posted - 26 Jan 2011 : 18:49:22
quote:

quote:

Or the Simbul or Rivalen(Who was dead at this point) haha. I also loved the scene where Rivalen and a few other princes went to shadowdale and Storm shot off silverfire at a shadovar for the first time. Opps, tear into hell.
Dennis Posted - 26 Jan 2011 : 10:25:16
quote:

Firestorm Posted - 26 Jan 2011 : 09:19:28
quote:

Nah. By the time most of that went down, Gareth and Co were about Drizzt level. At least if you go by the old sourcebooks lol.

In any case, you are right, and eventually some of the greater good powers will band together. Problem is, there are other problems at large with superpowers around as well. Such as the Shadovar(Who in my opinion, are a much greater threat than Tam and Thay)
[/quote]

Now this is a fight I would love to see. As far as villains go, I find Szass Tam to be more charismatic (than the Shadovar). Plus, I find that characters who utilize the shadow weave often seem arbitrarily over powered... I'd like to see them smacked around by some 'conventional' magic users.
[/quote]

Ecaporaso Posted - 26 Jan 2011 : 02:14:58
[/quote]

[/quote]

Firestorm Posted - 26 Jan 2011 : 00:08:02
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:

Short of several powerful mages banding together to fight him(Which already happened at the end of Unholy, and he wiped the floor with them), nobody is going to mess with him. Think of the time Entreri fought that battle mage Merle Pariso in Silent blade and Jarlaxle had Raiguy and Kimmuriel save him. That is an example of a warrior vs a fairly powerful spellcaster heads up. Among other things, Tam's wizardry would be near impossible for most mages in the realm to disenchant/dispel his protective wards or contingencies.

The one good thing is, characters this powerful rarely do anything themselves and go out of their way to avoid others that powerful(Thay and Tam and Aglarond and Alarssa Silverhand the Simbul were at war almost permanently, yet never met on the field of battle). They are busy elsewhere and have lackey's like his pet Liches to work for him.

The thing is, Tam's lackeys keep creating these dang Dread Rings all over, an undead things keep coming out. For a time, adventurers may be content just to clean up after Tam. Drizzt reveled in the mindless activity. But eventually, people are gonna get sick of Tam's messes, and people are gonna want to go to the source.

I'm not saying that they should do so recklessly, or even soon. But if Gareth's gang could work up the courage to go off and face Zhengyi and Orcus, then it would seem that somewhere out there, somebody else would find the courage to go off to Thay and face down this here meanie. As I recall, Gareth & Co. were not such epic characters themselves before all that went down, either.

The Red Walker Posted - 26 Jan 2011 : 00:07:35
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

quote:
Originally posted by jornan

Which book was Pristoleph referenced in?

bloodwalk i think.

He appeared in the watercourse trilogy
BEAST Posted - 25 Jan 2011 : 23:32:24
quote:

Short of several powerful mages banding together to fight him(Which already happened at the end of Unholy, and he wiped the floor with them), nobody is going to mess with him. Think of the time Entreri fought that battle mage Merle Pariso in Silent blade and Jarlaxle had Raiguy and Kimmuriel save him. That is an example of a warrior vs a fairly powerful spellcaster heads up. Among other things, Tam's wizardry would be near impossible for most mages in the realm to disenchant/dispel his protective wards or contingencies.

The one good thing is, characters this powerful rarely do anything themselves and go out of their way to avoid others that powerful(Thay and Tam and Aglarond and Alarssa Silverhand the Simbul were at war almost permanently, yet never met on the field of battle). They are busy elsewhere and have lackey's like his pet Liches to work for him.

The thing is, Tam's lackeys keep creating these dang Dread Rings all over, an undead things keep coming out. For a time, adventurers may be content just to clean up after Tam. Drizzt reveled in the mindless activity. But eventually, people are gonna get sick of Tam's messes, and people are gonna want to go to the source.

I'm not saying that they should do so recklessly, or even soon. But if Gareth's gang could work up the courage to go off and face Zhengyi and Orcus, then it would seem that somewhere out there, somebody else would find the courage to go off to Thay and face down this here meanie. As I recall, Gareth & Co. were not such epic characters themselves before all that went down, either.
swifty Posted - 25 Jan 2011 : 22:04:17
quote:
Originally posted by jornan

bloodwalk i think.
Firestorm Posted - 25 Jan 2011 : 08:02:12
quote:
Originally posted by Drizztsmanchild

Lol..I'm sorry...I don't mean in a realistic fight.. Tam would probably destroy the entirety of all of RAS characters.. However plot armor is some powerful stuff. If Drizzt were to go up against Ao himself right now with how popular and being a cash cow for Wotc....my money would be on Drizzt.

I do not think it is feasible. Ruining his plans is perhaps the only thing I see.
Unless Jarlaxle can somehow use his skills of intrigue to force the Princes of Shade into combat with Tam:) Even then, only The most high or Rivalen could go toe to toe with him :P

Oh god, I would love to see that fight haha.
Drizztsmanchild Posted - 25 Jan 2011 : 07:57:50
Lol..I'm sorry...I don't mean in a realistic fight.. Tam would probably destroy the entirety of all of RAS characters.. However plot armor is some powerful stuff. If Drizzt were to go up against Ao himself right now with how popular and being a cash cow for Wotc....my money would be on Drizzt.
Firestorm Posted - 25 Jan 2011 : 07:33:04
quote:
Originally posted by Drizztsmanchild

Firestorm: You believe that if Drizzt( With the plot armor he has right now) wouldn't have a chance against Tam?

I don't think he would have a prayer in hell, and I doubt Salvatore would bother pitting him against him.

Szass Tam is more powerful than anything yet seen as an opponent in the Drizzt novels.

Szass Tam is not going to spare the time to hunt down 1 renegade who is messing up his minor plans in a remote area and Tam is actually not the vengeful sort. His plans are on a much larger global scale. That is the sort of thing he will send his minions to do. Szass Tam is much stronger than your typical very powerful archmage like Gromph. Tam was Epic level 100 years ago, and has only gotten more powerful since. He is the sort I just cannot see a warrior surviving against if he decided to focus on eliminating a warrior(Which is not his style anyways). In the book, it said it best. Jarlaxle did not know too much about the archlich of Thay, but from the little he did know, he figured they were better off facing the primordial, a creature of godlike power.

The mages generally seen in Salvatore novels are mere evokers. Szass Tam is not merely another lightning bolt and Fireball wizard with Stoneskin There is just too much to an archlich necromancer of his power for a fighter to face even with all the elements in your favor. Too many contingency spells(Spells triggered by situations) and quickened spells(Spells he can cast instantly with only a gesture trigger). This is a character who can stop time for everyone but himself, cast prismatic sprays with a wave of his hand, Elemental swarm(Summons multiple elementals for him) and will be automatically teleported away if you do manage to hit him through his prismatic wall after his ghostform wears off(While in ghostform, he would be immune to physical attacks, but still able to cast anything he wants). Some of his weaker spells would include spells like contagion, which will give you, well, any disease he wants you to have. Enfeeblement(Which will cut your physical attributes down to those of an old man, Mass fire shield(All allies in a chosen area get it. Meaning any damage you do to them mirrors on your own body) Acid fog(Surrounding him Not to mention his items. Picture Jarlaxle with twice as many magical items twice as powerful as those he currently has and in charge of not just Bregan Daerth, but a Nation of followers. Tam has a ring of 3 wishes on his person at all time(Wish is the most powerful spell known to the realms, which can do virtually anything you want) , Bracers of armor which effectively give him permanent stoneskin, he has rings of spell storing(Further adding to his quickened arsenal) and Even if defeated(Which would immediately teleport him away via contingency), this is not some lich who will have a phylactery that is easy to find. You can't kill him.

Drizztsmanchild Posted - 25 Jan 2011 : 05:44:21
Firestorm: You believe that if Drizzt( With the plot armor he has right now) wouldn't have a chance against Tam?
jornan Posted - 25 Jan 2011 : 02:07:05
Firestorm Posted - 25 Jan 2011 : 00:27:21
quote:

My favorite moments in Forgotten Realms books occur when when there are novel interactions between characters which were developed in different books/series and/or by different authors. Even references to major powers in the land (as occurs in many books with regard to Elminster, for example) gives me a twinge of excitement and reminds me how rewarding it is to have read enough Forgotten Realms books to have a relatively comprehensive understanding of its history/celebrities/ETC. All that being said, I am about a third of the way through Gauntlgrym by Salvatore...

My inner nerd is practically shivering with excitement at what seems to be a developing point of interface between the heroes of Mithril Hall and Szass Tam of Thay. I'll admit I'm slightly resentful of the Szass Tam character being handed over to Salvatore, as it is to Richard Lee Byer's masterful trilogy that I attribute my renewed interest in Thay/Szass Tam in general [prior to Haunted Lands, I more or less regarded Thay as a bottomless reservoir of antagonist for Aglarondan heroes]. Nonetheless...

I am really excited to see what happens.

Why? The likelyhood that any of the characters will fight with Tam is next to none. This is just a small corner of the world in his grand plans. The direct attention of Szass Tam towards any of the characters(Assuming he decided to eliminate them personally) would be a death sentence to them. None of them would have the slightest chance against him.

Personally, I love that some of the better known baddies are being introduced into the series in Cameos.
swifty Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 22:37:54
i know what you mean.even little things like pristoleph getting a mention in one of the wizards novels.i love that inter-connectivity.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000