Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Seeking a new read.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
TheGato Posted - 11 Jan 2011 : 20:05:44
Greetings Candlekeep members.

I've been a long time member, although my presence and discussion is rare at best.

To the point.
I just finished the The Twilight War series (VERY good BTW! Thank you Paul S. Kemp!) and am seeking a new read.
The thing is, I have no idea what to get my eager paws on.
So I thought asking the knowledgeable members of the Keep would be a great place to start.

I have read quite a bit of the Realms. I've greatly enjoyed the works of Elaine Cunningham, Paul S. Kemp, Primarily, the masterful Erik Scott de Bie, and other greats. Primarily, I tend to gravitate towards stories that focus on a roguish character. All of the Rogue series was great!

What would you wonderful folks here at the Keep suggest for a next read? In or out of the Realms.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ecaporaso Posted - 26 Jan 2011 : 03:35:22
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Ecaporaso

Here are some of my favorite "outside the realms" selections:

If you want something intellectually stimulating/super-fun: "Cryptonomicon" or "Snow Crash" by Neil Stephenson (historical fiction and science fiction respectively)

If you want suspense/thriller - Any "Jack Reacher" novel by Lee Child (just google jack reacher, there's a ton, all good)

If you want hard scifi - "A Deepness in the Sky" by Vernor Vinge

If you want to become a better human - "Of Human Bondage" or "The Razors Edge" by Somerset Maugham (one of my favorite authors)

I don't know what I'd do without books... :)

Snow Crash was too weird for me. And I have issues with the nature of the virus in that book.

I know other people have liked it, but it's not one I would recommend.

--* SEMI-SPOILER *--

While I agree that the notion of a 'phonetic' or 'meme' virus was far-fetched, I thought the world Stephenson painted more than made up for it. I mean the opening scene was about the trials and tribulations of an uber-hardcore katana-wielding pizza delivery boy, of all things. I was immedietely sold. And the Raven character was so awesome!
Dennis Posted - 23 Jan 2011 : 16:32:34
Let's just say we have our "own" categorization of weirdness.
Lady Fellshot Posted - 23 Jan 2011 : 16:12:34
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Fellshot

quote:

quote:

Snow Crash was too weird for me.

All of Neal Stephenson's books are weird. And some people like weird stuff.

When it comes to weird, I prefer Jeff Vandermeer.

I rarely read weird books, myself. And there's a certain level of weirdness I can tolerate. Stephenson's weirdness is just okay. Though I recall some books, mostly the combined genre sci-fi-and-GLBT, that are so insanely weird I'm positive the authors must be mad.

Odd, because that doesn't seem like it would be "weird." But then maybe it's my love of narrative theory talking.
Lady Fellshot Posted - 23 Jan 2011 : 16:08:07
quote:

TheGato, I also recommend The Child Thief by Brom. It's a dark version of Peter Pan. Truly poetic in a wicked and twisted way.

Seconded although it's very much less about Wendy and more about defining "manhood" and the achievement thereof. I've also been flipping through Plucked and despite all the reviews saying "darker Velveteen Rabbit" it looks more like an even darker redux of Petroushka.
Dennis Posted - 23 Jan 2011 : 16:03:45
TheGato, I also recommend The Child Thief by Brom. It's a dark version of Peter Pan. Truly poetic in a wicked and twisted way.
Dennis Posted - 23 Jan 2011 : 16:00:59
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Fellshot

quote:

quote:

I rarely read weird books, myself. And there's a certain level of weirdness I can tolerate. Stephenson's weirdness is just okay. Though I recall some books, mostly the combined genre sci-fi-and-GLBT, that are so insanely weird I'm positive the authors must be mad.
Lady Fellshot Posted - 23 Jan 2011 : 15:47:13
There's also all kinds of really good anthologies around, if you like short stories. I've been digging most of Steampunk edited by Ann and Jeff Vandermeer.
Lady Fellshot Posted - 23 Jan 2011 : 15:43:26
quote:

quote:

The Sage Posted - 23 Jan 2011 : 15:14:30
quote:

Snow Crash was too weird for me. And I have issues with the nature of the virus in that book.
I often recommend people who are new to Stephenson's works, to read his other books first. Leave Snow Crash until the very end. At least then, you'll know what to expect when you come to this "complicated" work.
Dennis Posted - 23 Jan 2011 : 14:41:15
quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Jan 2011 : 14:10:30
quote:
Originally posted by Ecaporaso

If you want something intellectually stimulating/super-fun: "Cryptonomicon" or "Snow Crash" by Neil Stephenson (historical fiction and science fiction respectively)

If you want suspense/thriller - Any "Jack Reacher" novel by Lee Child (just google jack reacher, there's a ton, all good)

If you want to become a better human - "Of Human Bondage" or "The Razors Edge" by Somerset Maugham (one of my favorite authors)

I know other people have liked it, but it's not one I would recommend.
Ecaporaso Posted - 23 Jan 2011 : 12:01:49

swifty Posted - 22 Jan 2011 : 10:59:26
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Of the Gaiman books I've read, my favorite was The Graveyard Book. I always like to recommend that one in particular because I believe it was marketed as Young Adult, which might lead some people to pass it up.

That's a possibility. Though, I read it with Narnra, and she's six-and-a-bit, and she thoroughly enjoyed it.

wow.lucky for you sage.i have to read enid blyton books with my seven year old.they were great as kids but its a real struggle for me to stay interested now.i might try and convert him to paul kemp.actually.better not.dont want him having nightmares of the plane of shadow.
The Sage Posted - 22 Jan 2011 : 00:56:01
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Of the Gaiman books I've read, my favorite was The Graveyard Book. I always like to recommend that one in particular because I believe it was marketed as Young Adult, which might lead some people to pass it up.

That's a possibility. Though, I read it with Narnra, and she's six-and-a-bit, and she thoroughly enjoyed it.
Dennis Posted - 21 Jan 2011 : 17:55:26
Yes, 'tis for YA. amazon.com states: Reading level: Ages 9-12. 'Tis an allegory of childhood. Two of my students quite enjoyed reading it. But I don't yet have that gotta-have-it feeling, so...
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 21 Jan 2011 : 17:36:27
Dennis Posted - 21 Jan 2011 : 10:14:38
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

On the other hand Rothufuss' novel seemed unfinished.

It is. It’s the first book in the trilogy, in the first place.

quote:

You picked by far the worst of Kay's books. Tough most of them are very low magic and comparing to the Way of Kings, they contain ''filler''. It's almost historical fiction with rare fantastical elements, sometimes I find that annoying too.

Unfortunately, I have no plan yet to read his other books, in the same way I’m avoiding Christie Golden’s WoW novels. Her Arthas novel was so brilliantly written that after reading I threw it without hesitation.

quote:

I second Mieville (particularly Perdido and the Scar, Kraken starts slow but turns crazy) and Gaiman (read only the Sandman, Neverwhere and a half of American Gods).

I like his Stardust. ‘Tis fraught with fairy tale twists. I remember reading it in one sitting.

I have one more recommendation: Janny Wurts. Without a doubt a master of her craft! Her Light and Shadows and The Cycle of Fire series are excellent! She also co-wrote with Feist the Empire Saga.
Quale Posted - 21 Jan 2011 : 09:39:26
I don't think there was much filler, the main guy's childhood flashbacks maybe. The book leaves enough mystery for me to continue reading for a few more. The same way I don't want asoiaf to resolve. On the other hand Rothufuss' novel seemed unfinished.

You picked by far the worst of Kay's books. Tough most of them are very low magic and comparing to the Way of Kings, they contain ''filler''. It's almost historical fiction with rare fantastical elements, sometimes I find that annoying too.

I second Mieville (particularly Perdido and the Scar, Kraken starts slow but turns crazy) and Gaiman (read only the Sandman, Neverwhere and a half of American Gods).
Dennis Posted - 21 Jan 2011 : 01:19:41
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TheGato

Although, in between my last post and today I decided to go with The First Law: Book One, The Blade Itself, By Joe Abercrombie.

Has anyone read that yet?

it's probably my favourite series in the last couple of years, the fifth book was released recently

other similar authors recommended

GRRM
Paul Kearney
R Scott Bakker (first two in Prince of Nothing at least)

I second Locke Lamora (and the first half of Red Seas Under Red Skies is good)

maybe also

Patrick Rothfuss
Daniel Abraham
Steven Erikson (first 4-5) and IC Esselmont (Stonewielder particularly)
Brandon Sanderson (The Way of Kings, Mistborn is decent too)
Guy Kay (Under Heaven, but it's oriental)

legendary rogues beside the Grey Mouser are Cugel the Claver (Vance) and Jack of Shadows (Zelazny)

I like Sanderson's works, too. But The Way of Kings tends to be boring. While I love "fat" fiction, I must say Sanderson used a lot of fillers in that book---irrelevant descriptions. He said it's the first of what he plans to be a ten-part series. Heh, I'm not so sure if I'd bother reading the next book.

I only read one book by Guy Gavriel Kay, and didn't bother reading his other works, despite the many positive reviews by common readers and critics. His The Summer Tree was like a sleeping pill.

I second Patrick Rothfuss, though---absolutely one of those who are rising to greatness.
The Sage Posted - 21 Jan 2011 : 01:00:05
I'll also recommend just about everything by Neil Gaiman... including his comics and various graphic novels. Of special note are American Gods, The Sandman, and Fragile Things.

Also, China Miéville, who has quickly become a master of speculative fiction. His latest work, Kraken, is a work you would not normally expect to find coming from such an author. A truly unexpectedly welcome read.
Quale Posted - 20 Jan 2011 : 20:54:54
quote:
Originally posted by TheGato

Although, in between my last post and today I decided to go with The First Law: Book One, The Blade Itself, By Joe Abercrombie.

Has anyone read that yet?

it's probably my favourite series in the last couple of years, the fifth book was released recently

other similar authors recommended

GRRM
Paul Kearney
R Scott Bakker (first two in Prince of Nothing at least)

I second Locke Lamora (and the first half of Red Seas Under Red Skies is good)

maybe also

Patrick Rothfuss
Daniel Abraham
Steven Erikson (first 4-5) and IC Esselmont (Stonewielder particularly)
Brandon Sanderson (The Way of Kings, Mistborn is decent too)
Guy Kay (Under Heaven, but it's oriental)

legendary rogues beside the Grey Mouser are Cugel the Claver (Vance) and Jack of Shadows (Zelazny)
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 20 Jan 2011 : 00:14:03
Ah! Well, I hope you enjoy it! There are some really good pieces in there.
Dennis Posted - 20 Jan 2011 : 00:12:35
No, Chris. That and some other new stories you mentioned are enough to make me want to read that anthology.
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 19 Jan 2011 : 23:46:55
quote:

New Majipoor story? Hmm...

Did I spell it wrong, maybe?

--cvr

Dennis Posted - 19 Jan 2011 : 22:43:07
New Majipoor story? Hmm...
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 19 Jan 2011 : 22:35:23
I've really been enjoying the anthology Swords & Dark Magic edited by Jonathan Strahan and Lou Anders. It's available in a nice trade from HarperCollins' Eos sf/fantasy imprint and it seems like I heard Subterranean will be doing it up as one of their nice limited editions if they haven't already.

It's subtitled "The New Sword & Sorcery" and has pieces by lots of folks mentioned in this thread so far. I've got a minute so I'll go ahead and list the authors: Joe Abercrombie, CJ Cherryh, Glen Cook (new Black Company story), James Enge, Steven Erikson, Greg Keyes, Caitlin R. Kiernan, Tim Lebbon, Tanith Lee, Scott Lynch, Michael Moorcock (new Elric novella), Garth Nix, KJ Parker, Michael Shea, Robert Silverberg (new Majipoor story), Bill Willingham, and Gene Wolfe.

Anyway, worth an interlibrary loan at the very least if you can't get it otherwise. Lots of interesting stuff here that, taken altogether, provides a nice snapshot of the current state of play of sword & sorcery (outside gaming and other tie-in fiction, anyway).

Cheers,

Christopher
Dennis Posted - 19 Jan 2011 : 22:12:42
I recommend The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb; Sword of the Apocalypse by David Liss; Assassin's Creed: Renaissance and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood by Oliver Bowden, even if you don't play the game.
Lady Fellshot Posted - 19 Jan 2011 : 07:17:40
I second the Jim C. Hines recommendation. Red Hood's Revenge is excellent and the Goblin books are awesome as well.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 19 Jan 2011 : 06:55:48
I can recommend without reservation Scott Lynch's Lies of Locke Lamora. I was much pleased by that book, and it's very picaresque (i.e. rogue who wins with his wits).

Also, I never pass up the chance to recommend either Paul Kemp (whom it sounds like you've read) and Jim Hines, who's just awesome.

Cheers
Dennis Posted - 19 Jan 2011 : 01:06:00
I've already mentioned Raymond E. Feist's novels, but his works almost always provide a balanced exposure of rogues/fighters and magicians. The ones that focus more on the former are Jimmy The Hand, The King's Buccaneer, and the Conclave of Shadows trilogy.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000