Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Suggested Order for a brand new FR reader

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
midnight09 Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 09:05:41
Hey all!

I'm sure this has been asked a bunch, but ever since I played a few PC RPG's based in the Forgotten Realms world (mainly Bioware games like Baldur's Gate 2). After years of putting it off, I've decided to jump in.

For a person who has no real prior knowledge of the universe, it's a big intimidating to jump into a world with what seems like hundreds of novels. What are some suggestions on where to begin?

My initial thoughts are to hit the various RA Salvatore books since I've heard time and time again he's put out some of the best work. Based on some quick wikipedia research, I came up with this order based on publishing dates.

Icewind Dale Trilogy
Dark Elf Trilogy
Legacy of the Drow
Paths of Darkness
The Cleric Quintet
Hunter's Blade Trilogy
The Sellswords
Transitions
Neverwinter

Based on this I have a few questions.

1.) Is that a good order? Can I just run through the Salvatore novels from beginning to present, or are there other books/series that I should supplement in between?

2.) I saw there is a series called War of the Spider Queen. How does that fit in?

3.) Assuming I get through the Salvatore books and War of the Spider Queen, any thoughts on where to go after that?

Thanks!!
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
swifty Posted - 31 Dec 2010 : 19:57:32
i would suggest the dark elf trilogy and the cities series.
Ayrik Posted - 31 Dec 2010 : 05:00:49
quote:
Wooly Rupert
Nobody but myself, skychrome, and idilippy.
And Sage, and THO. Oops.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 Dec 2010 : 04:25:16
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Nobody's mentioned the Finder's Stone trilogy (Azure Bonds, Wyvern's Spur, Song of the Saurials)

Nobody but myself, skychrome, and idilippy.
Ayrik Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 23:23:39
Nobody's mentioned the Finder's Stone trilogy (Azure Bonds, Wyvern's Spur, Song of the Saurials) - I'd even suggest reading them before the Icewind Dale trilogy (unless you just can't wait to be a Drizzt fan).

I'd also recommend the Lost Gods books (Finder's Bane, Fistandantilus Reborn, and Tymora's Luck in any order), the Haunted Lands trilogy (Unclean, Undead, Unholy) and - after you've read the Erevis Cale trilogy - the Twilight War trilogy (Shadowbred, Shadowstorm, Shadowrealm).
Elfinblade Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 23:09:49
Although this has been covered before, i can never shy away from sponsoring really good books.
Read the Erevis Cale books, The Cormyr series, Evermeet, Arilyn and Danilos books, and the Elminster series
idilippy Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 21:42:48
Cormyr: A Novel has to be on that list at some point, and I'd definitely read Paul S Kemp's Erevis Cale trilogy, either the Icewind Dale trilogy or the Dark Elf trilogy by Salvatore, the Finder's Stone trilogy by Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb, and at least Elfshadow and Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham. After that you can start to pick and choose what parts of Faerun you like and authors you prefer and go on from there. Also, you should read something by Ed Greenwood, either his Elminster series, the Spellfire books, or the Knights of Myth Drannor.
michaelramm Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 17:32:01
I started just like you did...playing Icewind Dale II on PC, then jumping into the Icewind Dale books...that was many moons ago.

Just this year, I returned to the Forgotten Realms and read the Dark Elf Trilogy, which gave me a better overview of Drizzt. I LOVED the Dark Elf trilogy a lot. The middle book, Exile, was the weakest of the three. Then I was FINALLY able to get a hold of The Erevis Cale Trilogy...WOW! Paul Kemp is a great writer and Erevis is more kick@$$ than Drizzt is (in my limited knowledge of him).

Just last night, I picked up the Twilight War trilogy by Kemp and Legacy of the Drow by Salvatore to continue my adventures with Cale and Drizzt. I am going to re-read Icewind Dale since it has been more than 5 years since I read it before I start Legacy.

I am having a hard to time finding the Sembia series that introduces Cale in my local stores so I guess I will have to head to the internet to find them.

I also want to read the War of the Spider Queen series as I love the Drow society and want to learn more about it.
The Sage Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 15:33:38
I've seen no better answer than this from The Hooded One, one of the players in Ed's campaign:-
quote:
. . . I would recommend the following books to get a grounding in the breadth of FR fiction:
Ed Greenwood: Spellfire, Elminster: The Making Of A Mage, Elminster's Daughter, Swords of Eveningstar
Ed Greenwood & Jeff Grubb: Cormyr A Novel
Ed Greenwood & Elaine Cunningham: City of Splendors
Jeff Grubb & Kate Novak: Azure Bonds
Elaine Cunningham: Elfshadow, Evermeet
Bob (R.A.) Salvatore: Homeland
lots o' folks: Halls of Stormweather

Then I'd stop, take a breather, and consider Paul Kemp's Erevis Cale trilogy and Blackstaff by Steven Schend. Then back to Elaine . . .

Then I'd take stock of who I liked, of the above titles, and go from there in reading their other works, each series in order of course (we scribes can help).
Swords of Eveningstar would be my first choice for a first novel, with Spellfire close behind.
skychrome Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 15:28:28
The thread which Wooly mentions above gives you a good empirical overview on what people think about starting to read realms novels. I strongly recommend you to browse through it.

Apart from that I would also recommend Elaine Cunningham's Songs & Swords series as best starting point or the Finder's Stone Trilogy by Jeff Grubb and Kate Nowak, which is unfortunately out of print but can be bought without problems on the internet.

Regarding Salvatore: I got extremely bored by his ever repeating style after one or two books. Most people here like his books though.

War of the Spiderqueen is a very good series too in my opinion, but maybe not the best starting point.

If you want to read Paul S. Kemp and his Erevis Cale stories (which are my favorites) you might want to start with Halls of Stormweather, then Shadow's Wittness and then the Erevis Cale trilogy.

Try to pick up some single books too. I recommend City of Ravens and The Black Bouquet.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 15:11:52
Though we never quite reached a consensus, this is a topic that was discussed at length in the Experienced help for recommending FR Novels thread. Perusing that scroll may be helpful for you.

My personal recommendations are the books by Elaine Cunningham, and if you can find them, the Finder's Stone trilogy by Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb.
The Red Walker Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 12:47:35
quote:
Originally posted by midnight09

Hey all!

I'm sure this has been asked a bunch, but ever since I played a few PC RPG's based in the Forgotten Realms world (mainly Bioware games like Baldur's Gate 2). After years of putting it off, I've decided to jump in.

For a person who has no real prior knowledge of the universe, it's a big intimidating to jump into a world with what seems like hundreds of novels. What are some suggestions on where to begin?

My initial thoughts are to hit the various RA Salvatore books since I've heard time and time again he's put out some of the best work. Based on some quick wikipedia research, I came up with this order based on publishing dates.

Icewind Dale Trilogy
Dark Elf Trilogy
Legacy of the Drow
Paths of Darkness
The Cleric Quintet
Hunter's Blade Trilogy
The Sellswords
Transitions
Neverwinter

Based on this I have a few questions.

1.) Is that a good order? Can I just run through the Salvatore novels from beginning to present, or are there other books/series that I should supplement in between?

2.) I saw there is a series called War of the Spider Queen. How does that fit in?

3.) Assuming I get through the Salvatore books and War of the Spider Queen, any thoughts on where to go after that?

Thanks!!

Knowing what I do now after reading all FR novels except about 5, I would suggest starting with the Song and Swords series by Elaine Cunningham.
Her characters and their relationships are just fabulous.

Or the Erevis Cale books, two trilogies plus a few other appearances (easily googled)by Paul S. Kemp.
In my opinion, Paul has the best mix of character development and well done action.

Salvatore is your go to guy for fighting and Drizzt.

Erik Scott de Bie does the best fighting in my opinion (Ghostwalker which is also darker than the average realms tale.) he also excels with his humor and blurring the whole good vs evil thing (Depths of Madness and Downshadow)

There are lots of other reads , but that my short list .....today

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000