Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Gauntlgrym and All Things Drizzt Interview at WotC

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 02 Dec 2010 : 00:57:10
Well met,

Just popping in to toss out a link to an interview I did with R.A. Salvatore about his latest novel Gauntlgrym, and his plans for the future.

http://community.wizards.com/bookclub/blog/2010/12/01/scimitars_high!_r.a._salvatore_on_gauntlgrym

Enjoy!

Cheers
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zireael Posted - 31 Dec 2010 : 08:59:52
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

quote:
Erik Scott de Bie

???????????????: A new book I'm writing for WotC, about _________ doing __________ to __________ in ___________, along with __________ and _________ and tie-in subplot _____________. There. That's all the detail I can share! :)
Thanx a lot, Erik

I LOLed when I saw this and then ROTFL. G-d, that's funny!
Ayrik Posted - 31 Dec 2010 : 01:47:16
quote:
Erik Scott de Bie

???????????????: A new book I'm writing for WotC, about _________ doing __________ to __________ in ___________, along with __________ and _________ and tie-in subplot _____________. There. That's all the detail I can share! :)
Thanx a lot, Erik
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 23:51:10
Being "lost all over again" is, I think, valid. If you find a lost city and don't tell anyone the location, then you get yourself killed, then the city is still lost.

Who's to say for sure that those adventurers really DID find it, anyway? Maybe they were deceived, or stumbled through portals, etc. Or maybe in your game they are the only ones who really know where to find it? Quest idea!!!

Cheers
Markustay Posted - 28 Dec 2010 : 21:22:45
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

RAS does know that Gautlgrym was discovered way back in 1e, right?

Bruenor could have saved himself a whole lot of time looking if he had just stopped and asked somebody.

So did Bruenor and Drizzt get there and find that it had become the hottest night-spot in the North? They must have been pissed they weren't invited to the party.

And of course I will buy this - I buy ALL of RAS's FR novels.

Huh?

Typical Markustay post.

Cheers

'Tis why I avoid the novel threads, my friend.

And it was discovered, as per Savage Frontier, with a return trip planned. However, in the 2e The North boxed set, it states that none of those adventurers were ever heard from again (thus, making it 'lost' all over again).

And this entire line of thought (along with my recent re-readings of all the 'old stuff') has given rise to another question I need to ask Ed: Why doesn't ANYONE in the Realms EVER write anything down? No-one EVER thought to make a map of anything? Why are Dwarves so figgin' STUPID?

Random Dwarf codger at an Inn: "Aye... me people built MANY a fine fortress and city, all over the North."

Young Adventurer: "Where are they all? I thought your people only had a few holds left?"

Random dwarf: "Well... that's a funny thing... whenever we went out a'huntin', or for battle... we couldn't find our ways back."

Adventurer: "Didn't you guys carry a map?"

Dwarf: "A....... Map"? <look of confusion on his face>

And now, I will go back in my hole - ado.
Tren of Twilight Tower Posted - 22 Dec 2010 : 06:07:10
Note to myself: I shall devise a spell that should help me kick my own bottom for not coming to this forum section more often...

Thanks for the original information, Erik, as well as for what has been posted directly above. I loved Downshadow and am looking forward to snatching Shadowbane novel from local book store.

And there better be nobody to delay me from getting this novel or toad population will see sudden increase in numbers.

Cheers,
Tren
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 18 Dec 2010 : 19:01:05
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Eh? Amazon, CK, and the internet say little about Shadowbane - where might I learn anything about it? I still haven't picked up my copy of Ghostwalker nor read any other works by ESdB ...

[Edit: Interesting that we've both recently read books by China Miéville and Neil Gaimon, lol]

Just stay tuned, Arik--there will be more teasers about it elsewhere closer to the release date (September).

Shadowbane follows up on Downshadow, continuing several of the plotlines introduced in that novel.

Here's my already released teaser:

Luskan.

Only a lunatic would break *into* the filthiest, deadliest, worst city in the Realms.

But when the woman who gave him back his life is taken into that awful place, Shadowbane will get her out.

Come plague, come demons, come treachery, he'll get her out . . .

Even if he has to kill every wretched son of a dog in that whole stinking city.

Cheers
BEAST Posted - 18 Dec 2010 : 17:20:30
quote:

Bruenor could have saved himself a whole lot of time looking if he had just stopped and asked somebody.

So did Bruenor and Drizzt get there and find that it had become the hottest night-spot in the North? They must have been pissed they weren't invited to the party.

Preposterousness! Facetiousness! Licentiousness. No, wait...

I asked THO about Ed's take on Gauntlgrym to help with all of this, and she explained recently.

The site that was located in 1E was "Gauntulgrym", which was only a more recently-built overcity.

But the characters in this novel discovered "Gauntlgrym", which was the older, original dwarven fortress beneath.

(This reconciles the lore a bit, but there are still inconsistencies to be worked out regarding the history of Illusk, the Hosttower of the Arcane, etc.)

Methinks that when human adventurers claimed to have found Gauntulgrym, and proclaimed that dwarves had actually built the city for humans, there was probably a bit of showboating and chest-thumping involved, and the dwarves of the North probably would not have been too happy with that. They probably still held out hope/faith that the real Gauntlgrym would be re-discovered some day, so as to put this human impostor to shame.

Jarlaxle even tells Bruenor at one point in the novel that they will be voyaging to "the real Gauntlgrym!"

p.s.: Since Gauntlgrym is located atop a volcano, yeah, I'd say that Bruenor found it to be a pretty durn hot spot, alright.

p.p.s.: BTW, the mountain/hill in which this volcano manifests itself is called Mount Hotenow. Get it? If 'tweren't hot afore, it's sure hot...uh...now?
Ayrik Posted - 18 Dec 2010 : 08:25:19
Eh? Amazon, CK, and the internet say little about Shadowbane - where might I learn anything about it? I still haven't picked up my copy of Ghostwalker nor read any other works by ESdB ...

[Edit: Interesting that we've both recently read books by China Miéville and Neil Gaimon, lol]
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 18 Dec 2010 : 07:03:11
quote:
Originally posted by Elsenrail

When will you interview yourself, Erik? ;) You know, I'm talking of "Shadowbane". It's listed on amazon. :) Plenty of good stuff coming in 2011. :)
Yep, I noticed that the other day as well. Here's some linkitude: http://www.amazon.com/Shadowbane-Forgotten-Erik-Scott-Bie/dp/0786958553

I suspect you'll be seeing an interview from me nearer to the actual release date. Also I hope to write a companion story, which I've done with all my previous FR novels. Since the companion pieces are written substantially AFTER the novel in question, they're a fun sort of "second visit" for me, and give me the chance to provide a little extra insight and some teasers.

I also have plans to interview Elaine about The Serpent's Daughter, Christopher Rowe about Sandstorm, and I'm hoping to steal an hour of Paul's time to talk about Godborn. And a few more things on the bookclub as well . . . busy busy!

Cheers
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 18 Dec 2010 : 06:58:04
quote:

Huh?

Typical Markustay post.

Cheers
Brimstone Posted - 18 Dec 2010 : 04:14:54
Ask somebody?!?! Bah!!!!
Markustay Posted - 18 Dec 2010 : 03:14:43

Elsenrail Posted - 16 Dec 2010 : 18:58:29
Nice interview. :)

When will you interview yourself, Erik? ;) You know, I'm talking of "Shadowbane". It's listed on amazon. :) Plenty of good stuff coming in 2011. :)
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 12 Dec 2010 : 18:22:24
Well, as RLB said (rather eloquently), we play with the cards we're dealt. Not everyone is going to like every change, and not everyone SHOULD like every change. If we didn't think anything was broken, there'd be nothing for us to write about fixing, would there?

What we should do is focus on the potential for great stories, and in the 4e FR novels I've read so far, the authors have done exactly that.

So read and write on, good friends!

Cheers
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 11 Dec 2010 : 09:01:47
As a reader, I for one would have preferred the changes had been kept to a minimum. The Realms are starting to look like a disaster-of-the-week setting....
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 10 Dec 2010 : 02:02:52
Good interview, Erik, thanks!
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 09 Dec 2010 : 22:46:25
I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that most if not all of us novelists who worked in the old Realms and are now working in the new have a similar attitude about the changes. There are some we look at and say, "These hold the potential for some really good stories." And there are some we look at and say, "I wish these hadn't changed in the way they did." Then we try to write books that focus on the former rather than the latter.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 09 Dec 2010 : 21:28:19
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I noticed you didn't ask.....and he offered , which implies a bit of strong feeling...maybe or not
That seems like pretty powerful scrutiny between the lines. I wouldn't speculate one way or the other.

quote:
Have you read the novel yet? If so, care to share anything from how it differs from prior D novels or not? Or just general thoughts about it. Here or PM is fine..or if youd rather not, that's cool too!

I've read *part* of it, but haven't had time to read the whole thing. It does seem rather free of a lot of built-up issues from the past, though it's clearly strong on the character evolution end.

Cheers
The Red Walker Posted - 03 Dec 2010 : 16:29:21
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Thanks all--I'm glad you enjoy!

quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

Question, I haven't read Gauntlgrym yet (though it is on my shelf waiting for me) are there any spoilers in the interview I should avoid?
The short answer (already given) is *yes*. That said, I don't think any of the spoilers are particularly big. I purposefully stayed away from that.

The spoilers in the interview are, basically:

1) The book takes place over a long period of time in the 4e FR.

2) Most of the Companions of the Hall are not kicking around in Gauntlgrym, for one reason or another. (The article is not specific about anyone in particular.) It's down to Bruenor and Drizzt.

3) There's a female character named Dahlia who is important to Drizzt's story. Also a fighting man called Barrabus.

4) The novel deals with Bruenor discovering, at long last, the fabled city of Gauntlgrym.

Those seem pretty minor to me, and #4 is heavily implied by the title of the novel.

quote:

Good interview with some interesting points!

One that stood out for me, and shows why, In the minds of WOTC the spellplague had to happen :

"Well, I'm hoping that the lack of civilization in such vast reaches of the Realms will create inspiration for new and dangerous adventures. The Realms had become a bit too domesticated with so many novels and products and maps and such. Not any more!"

if an author who's style has has never held strictly to "canon" and books that the realms musy fit around, rather than fit into the realms (and happens to be the biggest seller too boot!) , believes that....then it didnt mater what most anyone else thought...it was going to happen. I am long past caring enough to argue that old battle, but I find it impossible to believe the there wasn't enough room for his stories!
Yeah, the "Old Guard Realmsian" discussion. Reading between the lines, I think Bob is calling out what he sees as the strength of the transition (that it's a whole new, less civilized world) without going into what he doesn't like about it (besides noting the time jump as a stumbling block). He is giving a classy, professional, and rather candid answer. (Notice I didn't ask him directly what his least favorite thing about writing the novel was--he filled that in on his own initiative.)

He's a good guy, that Bob Salvatore. If you ever get the chance to have a drink with him, I strongly recommend it.

Cheers

I noticed you didn't ask.....and he offered , which implies a bit of strong feeling...maybe or not

Have you read the novel yet? If so, care to share anything from how it differs from prior D novels or not? Or just general thoughts about it. Here or PM is fine..or if youd rather not, that's cool too!
The Red Walker Posted - 03 Dec 2010 : 16:26:37
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:

One that stood out for me, and shows why, In the minds of WOTC the spellplague had to happen :

"Well, I'm hoping that the lack of civilization in such vast reaches of the Realms will create inspiration for new and dangerous adventures. The Realms had become a bit too domesticated with so many novels and products and maps and such. Not any more!"

if an author who's style has has never held strictly to "canon" and books that the realms musy fit around, rather than fit into the realms (and happens to be the biggest seller too boot!) , believes that....then it didnt mater what most anyone else thought...it was going to happen. I am long past caring enough to argue that old battle, but I find it impossible to believe the there wasn't enough room for his stories!

Especially when he said the time jump was his least favorite thing about writing the novel. Maybe hes just being a team guy when he said that bit?

I don't know what was really going on in Bob's head when he wrote that, but remember that he also wrote:
quote:
I was a young father of young children when I started writing Drizzt; now I have a grandson. I look at him and wish that I had the same patience and understanding, and just the ability to let go of the little things, with my own kids that I have now with my grandson.

Maybe he's just practicing being accepting and rolling with it (the Spellplague, the time jump, the darkening of the Realms, etc.)?

That's the way I took it...and how I have tried to take it.
BEAST Posted - 03 Dec 2010 : 16:08:14
quote:

Especially when he said the time jump was his least favorite thing about writing the novel. Maybe hes just being a team guy when he said that bit?

I don't know what was really going on in Bob's head when he wrote that, but remember that he also wrote:
quote:
I was a young father of young children when I started writing Drizzt; now I have a grandson. I look at him and wish that I had the same patience and understanding, and just the ability to let go of the little things, with my own kids that I have now with my grandson.

Maybe he's just practicing being accepting and rolling with it (the Spellplague, the time jump, the darkening of the Realms, etc.)?
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 03 Dec 2010 : 15:09:12
Thanks all--I'm glad you enjoy!

quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

Question, I haven't read Gauntlgrym yet (though it is on my shelf waiting for me) are there any spoilers in the interview I should avoid?
The short answer (already given) is *yes*. That said, I don't think any of the spoilers are particularly big. I purposefully stayed away from that.

The spoilers in the interview are, basically:

1) The book takes place over a long period of time in the 4e FR.

2) Most of the Companions of the Hall are not kicking around in Gauntlgrym, for one reason or another. (The article is not specific about anyone in particular.) It's down to Bruenor and Drizzt.

3) There's a female character named Dahlia who is important to Drizzt's story. Also a fighting man called Barrabus.

4) The novel deals with Bruenor discovering, at long last, the fabled city of Gauntlgrym.

Those seem pretty minor to me, and #4 is heavily implied by the title of the novel.

quote:

Yeah, the "Old Guard Realmsian" discussion. Reading between the lines, I think Bob is calling out what he sees as the strength of the transition (that it's a whole new, less civilized world) without going into what he doesn't like about it (besides noting the time jump as a stumbling block). He is giving a classy, professional, and rather candid answer. (Notice I didn't ask him directly what his least favorite thing about writing the novel was--he filled that in on his own initiative.)

He's a good guy, that Bob Salvatore. If you ever get the chance to have a drink with him, I strongly recommend it.

Cheers
The Red Walker Posted - 03 Dec 2010 : 14:22:32
Almost forgot..

Erik...

I know how you feel about R A and how he is one of your bigger inspirations to write...great job keeping it a professional tight interview without any drooling what so ever Good work!
The Red Walker Posted - 03 Dec 2010 : 14:13:24

Havent read it yet....probably will, but hardcover arent exactly in my budget right now!....i did notice the eBook is only like $9.99...but if I have all the other in hardback, I hate to switch now.
Howfully we see some more discussion about it here at the 'keep and I am inspired to rush out and forgo a week of lunch $
Marc Posted - 03 Dec 2010 : 12:58:36
The game looks like Icewind Dale, I can't wait http://www.reckoningthegame.com/#explore/3/Agarth%20%E2%80%93%20Fateweaver
Zireael Posted - 03 Dec 2010 : 07:46:56
quote:
Originally posted by Sandro

Yes, the interview assumes that the reader has read Gauntlgrym and is familiar with the events and characters presented, and so numerous plot points are "spoiled".

Incidentally, this...
quote:
A: Drizzt and Dahlia will buy a farm outside of Waterdeep and settle down. They will have seven children, half of whom will follow Lolth and cause much misery for the other half. Elminster will come over for cookies and milk often. So will Frodo Baggins, who will convince Drizzt to go to the west with him. On the way, however, they will be captured by a bounty hunter named Jango, but will escape to a desert planet, where they will help a young would-be king named Paul overcome some witches, or something.

... is probably the funniest thing I've ever read.

ROTFL
Elfinblade Posted - 02 Dec 2010 : 20:26:01
Thanks Erik. Very insightful, and quite amusing
Alisttair Posted - 02 Dec 2010 : 18:00:21
Thanks for sharing Erik. Great interview.
Sith_Lord_Drizzt Posted - 02 Dec 2010 : 16:32:59
Excellent interview Erik! Explains a lot about Drizzt's transition.
Sandro Posted - 02 Dec 2010 : 04:27:01
Yes, the interview assumes that the reader has read Gauntlgrym and is familiar with the events and characters presented, and so numerous plot points are "spoiled".

Incidentally, this...
quote:
A: Drizzt and Dahlia will buy a farm outside of Waterdeep and settle down. They will have seven children, half of whom will follow Lolth and cause much misery for the other half. Elminster will come over for cookies and milk often. So will Frodo Baggins, who will convince Drizzt to go to the west with him. On the way, however, they will be captured by a bounty hunter named Jango, but will escape to a desert planet, where they will help a young would-be king named Paul overcome some witches, or something.

... is probably the funniest thing I've ever read.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000