Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Why no more setting logo on the books?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ozreth Posted - 20 Oct 2010 : 07:36:33
Does anybody know the official word on why they decided to take the FR logo off of the new books? Just ordered the new Salvatore book and am disappointed in the lack of logo. Its a small thing I know, but still disheartening. It just looks ugly and uninspired.
29   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ayrik Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 21:33:37
quote:
rockyoumonkeys

The thing that concerned me (and which I'm still not convinced isn't happening) was the possibility that they were trying to consolidate the actual unique worlds, and turn them all into one big setting.
Wizards has already pushed 4E Forgotten Realms, Dark Sun, and Eberron settings - the internet speculation (and criticism) is rampant about other pre-4E settings being officially released or supported. WotC might (or might never) license certain "non-core" settings to third-parties, like they've done before. The new settings are "consolidated" to some extent, but also "streamlined" - from what I've seen, Wizards's idea is to emphasize ease of use (especially for new DMs/players) of self-contained standalone setting products. The only official comments I'm aware of have all been reassurances that DMs could import or use existing lore about their settings without difficulty.

FR is a brand, and though I don't know how it's faring now I think it's safe to say it peaked in the late 1990's and has been on the decline since; it seems to me that more people are aware of the Realms through novels and computer games than through D&D game products.
rockyoumonkeys Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 21:00:41
The thing that concerned me (and which I'm still not convinced isn't happening) was the possibility that they were trying to consolidate the actual unique worlds, and turn them all into one big setting.
Dennis Posted - 03 Dec 2010 : 01:39:10
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I don't see a difference in the overall "look" between Blackstaff Tower and Circle of Skulls. They may have used a different artist for the main image, but that's nothing new since publishers will use a different artist many times on a series like this (look at Harpers).

Strange, the cover of CoS I saw in our bookstores have the D&D logo. Dunno, that one in Amazon might be a sample cover only.
The Red Walker Posted - 02 Dec 2010 : 13:49:20
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

No logo? Tiny logo? Meep! Holy missing runes, Bat-Man! This does not bode well.... What's next? Elminster Meets Soth? Strahd In Korvaire? Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to Greyhawk?

Nah....what's next is people with busy lives, skimming over the bookstore in the five free minutes we have free , not seeing any new Forgotten Realms novels and going home disappointed....or gasp! .....with some other product.

I know that's why I finally grabbed a Dresden Files novel and have been buying and reading those and others while gauntylgrym still sits in the store.

Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 02 Dec 2010 : 13:44:26
I don't see a difference in the overall "look" between Blackstaff Tower and Circle of Skulls. They may have used a different artist for the main image, but that's nothing new since publishers will use a different artist many times on a series like this (look at Harpers).
Dennis Posted - 02 Dec 2010 : 09:34:59
quote:

Originally posted by jornan

I'm ok with a revamp of the packaging and the look, but to do it mid series just looks stupid and confusing on a shelf. Like why change the the look and format for the last book (circle of skulls) in the Ed Presents waterdeep series? The first five all look the same and then the last one is of the new format...

I'm inclined to agree, jornan. If WotC had long ago planned to change the logo, they should have started it at the very first book of the series, Blackstaff Tower.
jornan Posted - 02 Dec 2010 : 04:20:18
If WotC are going for a more marketable format for their various lines they certainly are making it less confusing for readers. I wouldn't even know where to begin if I was just starting to read the FRs.

As for the stone of Tymora, each book has a completely diffrent look, logo, and art direction. One can hardly tell they even belong together when all three are lined up on a shelf.

I'm ok with a revamp of the packaging and the look, but to do it mid series just looks stupid and confusing on a shelf. Like why change the the look and format for the last book (circle of skulls) in the Ed Presents waterdeep series? The first five all look the same and then the last one is of the new format...perhaps that parallels the fact the first five books were really enjoyable and wel written and book six was well...not so much.
The Sage Posted - 30 Nov 2010 : 23:54:24
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

No logo? Tiny logo? Meep! Holy missing runes, Bat-Man! This does not bode well.... What's next? Elminster Meets Soth? Strahd In Korvaire? Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to Greyhawk?

Strahd in Khorvaire? Hmmm. I'm thinking he might find his home in Karrnath. Or maybe that would be Soth?
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 30 Nov 2010 : 22:46:59
Kentinal Posted - 30 Nov 2010 : 22:38:50
Err, unless my image viewer needs update, I did not see an image of the spine.

In part of the 4th Edition, or combining BD&D and AD&D into a single game, was that all game worlds are part of all other game worlds. As such it clearly could be that marketing indeed did focus on the D&D Brand with the hoe of game settings crossovers. Hey after you purchased it, the chances are good you will use it.
Sandro Posted - 30 Nov 2010 : 19:08:35
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:

quote:

The newest book by Geno Salvatore, The Sentinels, has the Dungeons & Dragons logo on it, but nowhere do I find Forgotten Realms on the cover or spine.

[url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/0786955058/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books]He's right[/url]

He's right regarding the fact that I'm right.

They're both right, regarding Alisttair's being right.
Alisttair Posted - 30 Nov 2010 : 16:52:06
quote:

quote:

The newest book by Geno Salvatore, The Sentinels, has the Dungeons & Dragons logo on it, but nowhere do I find Forgotten Realms on the cover or spine.

[url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/0786955058/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books]He's right[/url]

He's right regarding the fact that I'm right.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 30 Nov 2010 : 15:40:06
quote:

Alisttair Posted - 30 Nov 2010 : 14:28:27
The Sage Posted - 21 Oct 2010 : 10:11:08
quote:
Originally posted by Sandro

quote:
Originally posted by dennis

And I wonder why they didn't do that to the hardbound.

So far MtG has not yet suffered from the change of logo. I'm not sure with Eb though. It's been more than a year since I last bought an Eb novel.

Same reason they didn't do it for The Ghost King.

Incidentally, are Eberron novels still even a thing? I never got the impression they were particularly significant...

It's the same for EBERRON novels as well -- D&D brand on the front, EB brand on the spine.
Sandro Posted - 21 Oct 2010 : 10:00:51
quote:

So far MtG has not yet suffered from the change of logo. I'm not sure with Eb though. It's been more than a year since I last bought an Eb novel.

Same reason they didn't do it for The Ghost King.

Incidentally, are Eberron novels still even a thing? I never got the impression they were particularly significant...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Oct 2010 : 02:33:42
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

This decision underlies everything that's been done with the Realms in the last few years, which can't be understood without bearing it in mind.

I'd strike the last five words of the quoted sentence.
Dennis Posted - 21 Oct 2010 : 02:28:52
quote:

quote:

quote:

It does bear noting that it has been getting progressively smaller ever since first edition, but it is odd that the D&D logo is given more prevalence than the FR one.

Marketing's the only answer. Most probably to lure the readers of other worlds under D&D (MTG, Eb, DL, Rv...) And I'm expecting the same thing will happen to the logos of those other worlds/branches anytime soon.

Aye, the paperback of Dragons of the Hourglass Mage is much the same. Not a poor marketing ploy, I suppose, but a part of me still likes having two thirds of the spine taken up by an absolutely massive FR logo. It looks ever so nice on a bookshelf...

Faraer Posted - 20 Oct 2010 : 16:27:50
Because of the recession, a few years ago Wizards consolidated itself to 'two core brands', D&D and Magic. It's trying to foster D&D fans, who ideally run short-term campaigns in the company's latest setting then buy the next, over Realms fans who only buy from a subset of D&D-related output.

This decision underlies everything that's been done with the Realms in the last few years, which can't be understood without bearing it in mind.
Brimstone Posted - 20 Oct 2010 : 15:06:20
I guess WotC is more interested in building the D&D Brand...
The Red Walker Posted - 20 Oct 2010 : 15:00:15
If they were worried about "branding" keeping different groups from buying it, they wouldnt have welded a bigger D&D logo onto it.

I'm not sure why the decision was made to minimize Forgotten Realms was made, but what shared world novles line(published by WOTC) has sold more than FR??? It seems like a try to shift the brand...who knows...I just know I dont like it.
Sandro Posted - 20 Oct 2010 : 09:08:07
quote:

quote:

It does bear noting that it has been getting progressively smaller ever since first edition, but it is odd that the D&D logo is given more prevalence than the FR one.

Marketing's the only answer. Most probably to lure the readers of other worlds under D&D (MTG, Eb, DL, Rv...) And I'm expecting the same thing will happen to the logos of those other worlds/branches anytime soon.

Aye, the paperback of Dragons of the Hourglass Mage is much the same. Not a poor marketing ploy, I suppose, but a part of me still likes having two thirds of the spine taken up by an absolutely massive FR logo. It looks ever so nice on a bookshelf...
Dennis Posted - 20 Oct 2010 : 09:00:48
quote:

Dennis Posted - 20 Oct 2010 : 08:55:30
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Ozreth

quote:

Hmmm. I thought the logo had simply been relegated to the spine of each new FR novel... while the D&D brand adorned the front cover.

Ah this could be true, guess I'll have to wait for the book to arrive and see : )
Well that's how it's been with the most recent releases, like Elminster Must Die and The Ghost King paperback.

Indeed.

Though I prefer to also see the logo in the cover. Non-FR fans (but undoubtedly D&D fans) will still buy the novels even with the FR logo in the cover, since the overarching logo of D&D is much too obvious.
Sandro Posted - 20 Oct 2010 : 08:54:06
Both Gauntlgrym and Elminster Must Die feature a banner across the top of the cover saying "Dungeons and Dragons," below which is written "Forgotten Realms". The spine features the 3rd edition FR logo, though it is very small, and a much larger D&D logo at the bottom.

The Sage Posted - 20 Oct 2010 : 08:34:17
quote:
Originally posted by Ozreth

quote:

Hmmm. I thought the logo had simply been relegated to the spine of each new FR novel... while the D&D brand adorned the front cover.

Ah this could be true, guess I'll have to wait for the book to arrive and see : )
Well that's how it's been with the most recent releases, like Elminster Must Die and The Ghost King paperback.
Ozreth Posted - 20 Oct 2010 : 08:23:02
quote:

Ah this could be true, guess I'll have to wait for the book to arrive and see : ) Looking forward to it none the less. Also ordered the annotated Elminster along with it as I have never read an elminster book.
Pazuzu Posted - 20 Oct 2010 : 08:20:33
The only thing I could think of, is because the want even non-FR fans to buy the book :-)
The Sage Posted - 20 Oct 2010 : 08:09:46

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000