Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What Realms novels do you read again and again?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Red Walker Posted - 25 Aug 2010 : 20:59:31
I was curious about other scribes Realms reading habits. I was looking at my "to read" stack and noticed Elaine's Song and Sword(along with a note to read her short stories as well) novels coming up very soon(for their third read by me)...

What Realms novels do you eo=ither find yourself reading again or wish you had time to???
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dart Ambermoon Posted - 25 Oct 2010 : 23:16:43
Most of them, except for a few I really dislike get a second and maybe even third reading, since Iīm an avid rereader. But then there are those to read again and again. Elaineīs (except for the Drow ones), Edīs, Grubb and Novakīs I can read again and again and again. Oh, and Mel Odomīs Rising Tide trilogy never gets old for me. Iīll also re-read the original Moonshae and Avatar series, just because they were the first FR novels I read and I have a soft spot for going down memory lane while reading them.
Hellblazer Posted - 25 Oct 2010 : 18:20:16
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

quote:
Originally posted by Hellblazer

I wouldn't mind reading the Homeland again since I'm in love with drows and underdark.(Is there any FR novel that contains some stuff from Underdark and Drows ?)

Yes, there are the War of the Spiderqueen 6-book series, The Lady Penitent trilogy and Elaine wrote a drow-series as well. Salvatore wrote more drow stuff too.

Thanks a lot for the information.I'll check them out when I'm done with the spine of the world.
Alisttair Posted - 25 Oct 2010 : 18:14:04
I have read The Legacy twice (first book I read and then re-read it when I went through all the Drizzt novels in order). Shadows of the Avatar I have read twice, and I think I read Elminster: The Making of a Mage 3 times (which I will re-read AGAIN once I read The Annotated Elminster).
skychrome Posted - 25 Oct 2010 : 17:38:52
quote:
Originally posted by Hellblazer

I wouldn't mind reading the Homeland again since I'm in love with drows and underdark.(Is there any FR novel that contains some stuff from Underdark and Drows ?)

Yes, there are the War of the Spiderqueen 6-book series, The Lady Penitent trilogy and Elaine wrote a drow-series as well. Salvatore wrote more drow stuff too.
Hellblazer Posted - 25 Oct 2010 : 02:30:40
I wouldn't mind reading the Homeland again since I'm in love with drows and underdark.(Is there any FR novel that contains some stuff from Underdark and Drows ?)I'm pretty new to the realms.Joined the Forgotten Realms with Homeland and I'm gonna start reading The Spine of the World.Loving the series so far :)
Dennis Posted - 24 Oct 2010 : 04:55:46
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Bulging brimming brains, yeah. I sold my TV years ago to make a lot more room (and time) for books and other stuff.

It takes a lot longer to forget the best books entirely (which ironically means they don't need to be reread). While the rest of the books just sort of fade and forget themselves without any conscious effort (unless they are in fact so utterly terrible they cannot possibly be forgotten).

The books I love are impossible to forget. Not only because I reread them, but also because of how intense I feel for them. I even memorize certain lines.

And those horrible ones (okay, I won't mention titles) - well, two things: I could never forget them for their insult to literature; but sometimes my mind unconsciously wants to purge itself of 'cobwebs' that I completely forget them, except their titles.
althen artren Posted - 24 Oct 2010 : 02:39:52
To me, Evermeet was a hard read. Hard to keep track of all the elven
families and who was related to who, and just didn't seemed paced well.
Allways wanted to read Sword and Song, just have never
come across copies around here.
Ayrik Posted - 24 Oct 2010 : 02:23:17
Bulging brimming brains, yeah. I sold my TV years ago to make a lot more room (and time) for books and other stuff.

It takes a lot longer to forget the best books entirely (which ironically means they don't need to be reread). While the rest of the books just sort of fade and forget themselves without any conscious effort (unless they are in fact so utterly terrible they cannot possibly be forgotten).
Dennis Posted - 24 Oct 2010 : 02:07:24
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

I'm not in the habit of rereading anything I can still remember. I have reread books that "seem familiar" because I'd forgotten that I'd read them 10-20 years ago.

I used to carefully note which books are good, excellent, poor. Now I just don't bother wasting my time if it's still a lemon after 50 pages. There's always time for another good book, even if you have to write it yourself. So many other books - in the realms, out of the realms, in different worlds and entirely different genres.

Well, I think all, or most of us have that as one of the reasons we bother to re-read a novel at all. Our brain can store and retain so few bits of information (it automatically reboots) that we need to re-stuff it with the lost data.

Ayrik Posted - 24 Oct 2010 : 01:25:57
I'm not in the habit of rereading anything I can still remember. I have reread books that "seem familiar" because I'd forgotten that I'd read them 10-20 years ago.

I used to carefully note which books are good, excellent, poor. Now I just don't bother wasting my time if it's still a lemon after 50 pages. There's always time for another good book, even if you have to write it yourself. So many other books - in the realms, out of the realms, in different worlds and entirely different genres.
Ananta Posted - 06 Oct 2010 : 15:44:31
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:
Originally posted by Ananta

I keep re-reading R.A. Salvatore's, Elaine Cunningham's and Ed Greenwood's books.

However, I'm currently expanding my author base of FR novels, so I might find quite a few authors whose books I'll re-read.

The biggest problem for me is that I'm from Finland. Most books are never translated into Finnish, and thus are extremely hard to find and read. I've tried to find some torrents and stuff for the books, but reading from computer screen just isn't for me (sure, I'll download them and read them if there's absolutely no other way... But even torrents of some books are hard, if not impossible, to find). I prefer to read books while lying on my bed D: Also most online bookstores in Finland don't sell books written in English... And I haven't found any good e-stores that sell books and ship them to Finland :(

Try http://www.adlibris.com/fi/ The best internet book store I've found, at least the Norwegian version. Many Realms novels are out of pring, but they have a pretty good selection and they dont demand credit cards.

That's a great site. It has Finnish version too, and with fast browse through I found quite a lot of books I haven't found from other finnish book stores.

Just ordered the whole Erevis Cale Trilogy and Elminster's Daughter books. Wasn't expensive either, 25€ total with shippings and all.

Thanks for the tip. It'll provide me with a lot of reading this winter. :D
Jorkens Posted - 06 Oct 2010 : 10:00:58
quote:
Originally posted by Ananta

I keep re-reading R.A. Salvatore's, Elaine Cunningham's and Ed Greenwood's books.

However, I'm currently expanding my author base of FR novels, so I might find quite a few authors whose books I'll re-read.

The biggest problem for me is that I'm from Finland. Most books are never translated into Finnish, and thus are extremely hard to find and read. I've tried to find some torrents and stuff for the books, but reading from computer screen just isn't for me (sure, I'll download them and read them if there's absolutely no other way... But even torrents of some books are hard, if not impossible, to find). I prefer to read books while lying on my bed D: Also most online bookstores in Finland don't sell books written in English... And I haven't found any good e-stores that sell books and ship them to Finland :(

Try http://www.adlibris.com/fi/ The best internet book store I've found, at least the Norwegian version. Many Realms novels are out of pring, but they have a pretty good selection and they dont demand credit cards.
Ananta Posted - 06 Oct 2010 : 02:12:49

The Sage Posted - 18 Sep 2010 : 02:10:02
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

Mrs. Cunningham's books on Arilyn and Danilo, as well as Evermeet are all books I've read over and over again, including her short stories in Realms of Valor, Realms of Infamy and Realms of Mysteries. Also, Erik Scott de Bie's novels and stories are always something that I thoroughly enjoy.

I'm actually rereading those books right now.

As am I. Again, referencing all the musical Realmslore I may have missed during earlier readings.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Sep 2010 : 00:13:04
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

Mrs. Cunningham's books on Arilyn and Danilo, as well as Evermeet are all books I've read over and over again, including her short stories in Realms of Valor, Realms of Infamy and Realms of Mysteries. Also, Erik Scott de Bie's novels and stories are always something that I thoroughly enjoy.

I'm actually rereading those books right now.
Dennis Posted - 17 Sep 2010 : 23:15:02

Though I am a fan of Elaine's, I still can't motivate or force myself to read her books that feature to horrendous details the stinking, haughty elves, save the drow of course.

Penknight Posted - 11 Sep 2010 : 00:04:15
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 10 Sep 2010 : 23:38:55
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

Elaine's (Song and Sword, the Liriel trilogy, Evermeet), Homeland, WotSQ, Blackstaff, Empyrean Odyssey last book (the one with Pharaun in it)...

I'd second that list, except for the last two, as I have not yet read those. however, I would add ANY of the first six Drizzy books, The Year of Rouge Dragons trilogy, and anything by Ed to that list!!
Dennis Posted - 09 Sep 2010 : 21:24:20

I read pretty fast, a habit I developed during my years as an editor. But I don't read or re-read lightning fast the books that I want to relish. The only FR novels I remember reading as fast as blinking are Tantras, Whisper of Waves, Lies of Light, Pools of Darkness, and Baldur's Gate. And of course, I don't like them.

idilippy Posted - 09 Sep 2010 : 02:31:57
Well, I re-read a lot because I read fast, a realms trilogy would last me about a day and a half, and am perpetually short of money to buy brand new books. Because of that when I used to have extra time I would go back and read over a book I've already read since outside of sports I don't watch much TV or play and time consuming MMORPGs.
A Publishing Lackey Posted - 09 Sep 2010 : 02:08:15
I work in publishing, and probably read six or seven hundred books in a given year, some of them in rough draft. (Yes, I read fast - - I HAVE to. Yes, I often read four full-length novels in a day.)
Yet I do re-read a few books; about a dozen lifelong favorites that I dip into every few years, and about eight to twelve books a year that I want to slow down and enjoy. Realms novels don't often make that list, being as they tend to be lightweight genre fantasy, but anything by Ed or Elaine is worth a second look (yes, even their flawed books), and I now read every Kemp, Schend, and de Bie very closely. Several later Kemps and all of the recent de Bies have gone on my re-read pile.
Welcome aboard, good talespinners!
Dennis Posted - 09 Sep 2010 : 02:02:42

Life is too short, and there are a lot to read, so I never reread a novel more than twice, except Unholy, Shadowrealm, and The Siege (and some non-FR, too) which I read thrice.

idilippy Posted - 08 Sep 2010 : 18:57:38
I re-read almost every book I read, but there are a few series I've read many, many times. The Erevis Cale trilogy has been read 3 or 4 times I believe, I've lost count of my re-reads of the War of the Spider Queen series, though not all have been full re-reads, some have just included a few of the books. The Icewind Dale trilogy, my gateway drug into the Realms novels and D&D in general after playing Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 when they came out, has been heavily worn from re-reads, as are a few of my Elminster books. Elminster in Hell I especially remember enjoying multiple times, I loved reading all the different memories he had accumulated over the many years. The Cleric Quintet and the Servant of the Shard are two of my favorite works from RAS and I've read them both repeatedly along with the Homeland trilogy which I really enjoyed. I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple but these are the ones that stick out in my memory.
GRYPHON Posted - 08 Sep 2010 : 11:11:25
Evermeet and anything about elves and the fey'ri...
Quale Posted - 08 Sep 2010 : 10:56:36
I've considered to reread Evermeet, life's too short.
Dennis Posted - 07 Sep 2010 : 19:53:26
quote:
Originally posted by drkissinger1

quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Richard's The Haunted Lands trilogy and The Captive Flame (and I'm pretty sure same with books 2 and 3 of The Brotherhood of the Griffon when they're released), Paul's The Twilight War trilogy, Troy's The Return of the Archwizards trilogy, and Clayton's The Netheril trilogy.

I was about to say, while I actually didn't find Return of the Archwizards to be very good (I think long scenes of magical combat tend to bore me), my absolute favorites are:

Waterdeep by Troy Denning
Crucible: the Trial of Cyric the Mad by Troy Denning
with an honorable mention to James Lowder for Prince of Lies

I had been slogging through the otherwise boring Avatar trilogy to get a better sense of the characters Kelemvor and Cyric, when Waterdeep suddenly turned up the quality tenfold. Crucible absolutely floored me. The character of Malik is very reminiscent of a haplessly-evil ibn Fadlan. It's impossible not to love the truth-telling Seraph of Lies.

It's the return of the denizens of Netheril, the Empire of Magic, so expect a lot of magical battles of grand proportion. You cannot expect the shades to fight the magically potent phaerimm by throwing kitchen knives at them.

Waterdeep plain bored me. I didn't finish it; I stopped at page 60. And don't intend to resume reading it.

Crucible is nice, but haven't reread it. Cyric is too crazy to like or even try not to dislike. There are demented villains out there, but no one, thank Ed or WotC, is as ridiculously mad as Cyric. I'd be happy if Shar eats him for dinner.

Aulduron Posted - 07 Sep 2010 : 19:26:27
I read most books over and over. If I don't read a series all at once, I have to re-read them each time a new book comes out. Recently, I've read the Last Mythal, Rogue Dragons, the Lireal Banre series, Twilight War, Haunted Lands, Lady Penitent, The Wizards, War of the Spider Queen, Evermeet, and the latest Drizzt books several times.

Ionik Knight Posted - 07 Sep 2010 : 14:07:09
I'm planning on running down copies of Elaine's various elf books and reading them for lore purposes. Plus I really enjoyed the Starlight and Shadows series.
ajfurst Posted - 07 Sep 2010 : 13:52:57
My re-reads are generally older Realms novels -

The Crystal Shard
Novak and Grubb - all the Alias / Finder stories
Pools of Radiance

Most of the time I'd rather by reading something new, but when I'm stressed reading an old favourite is very relaxing - no need to think, just the comfortingly familiar.
A Gavel Posted - 30 Aug 2010 : 16:06:33
For me, it's Ed's Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy, El in Hell, and Stormlight. Not so often: City of Splendors by Ed and Elaine, and Elfshadow by Elaine. Just promoted onto the re-read list: City of the Dead by Rosemary Jones, Downshadow by Erik Scott de Bie, and Elminster Must Die! by Ed.
Consistently, the novels with most depth, layered meanings, and the ability to please me with elements I hadn't noticed - - or appreciated in a previous reading - - are Ed Greenwood's. Whereas an RAS or Denning book, to pick two examples, are far more straight-ahead, in-your-face action narrative. Less depth, more fast action narrative. Which for me means less enticement to reread. However, YMMV, of course.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000