Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Drizzt Do'Urden

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Drummer Boy Posted - 15 Oct 2002 : 04:57:26
I would like to start a new topic all about Drizzt and the novels he is in. Anyway, what novels is he in? I have the Dark Elf Trilogy and the Icewind Dale trilogy, but other than that, I don't know what books to read about him in. To me Drizzt is the perfect hero. Instead of just bowing down to the the evil culture from which he was born, he rises up to become on of the few, if any, drow who is not evil. And you can't say he doesn't look cool with his twin scimitars and dark cloak.
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Drummer Boy Posted - 24 Jan 2003 : 04:39:19
I'm pretty sure it's pronounced "Dritst." It's a bit hard to pronounce, but according to my BG manual, that is the correct pronunciation.
Phineas of Oghma Posted - 23 Jan 2003 : 21:46:28
First post at Candlekeep. Wheee!

I do a lot of my own novel --> 3rd Edition conversions. I'm a huge fan of the setting and the game. . . and our ebony-skinned hero, Drizzt.

Drizzt's levels are broken down thusly: Fighter 10/Barbarian 1/Ranger 5. As posted earlier by Feanor_Karnil, a 5th level Ranger gets to toy with a single divine spell a day (and only because of a Wisdom score >11). It would be pretty neat if R.A. let Drizzt throw an Entangle spell once in a while.

I am more inclined to take issue with Guenhwyvar's 3E stats. That bite does more than 1d6+3! 1d6+3 might drop an average orc. How many throats have been torn out by one well-timed bite from our beloved panther?

Stepping off the rules for a moment, can anyone confirm or deny the actual pronunciation of Drizzt's name? I heard someone call him "Drizzit" the other day, but I thought that was just one of R.A.'s jokes. I've always called him "Drist."
Drizzt Posted - 22 Jan 2003 : 22:15:13
Well he might not have spells, because I don't remember in any of the books Montolio casting any spells. As for Mielikki not giving him any,that is if she does it for him being odd, she gives Pikel his Druidic spells, why would she not give Mooshie or Drizzt theirs? Pikel is a Druid, even more odd than Drizzt being a drow ranger,i mean for gosh sakes, Pikel is a dwarf.
AraznBlair Posted - 14 Jan 2003 : 21:38:04
Thats true Feanor_Karnil, Drizzt is a 5th level Ranger in the 3rd Edition. I keep forgetting about the reclassification of his levels from 2nd to 3rd. But if you read the novels I think the Core books have underestimated his levels. If you read the adventures he has gone through since becoming a Ranger in Moshies (sp?) Grove he should be a lot higher than 5th even under the 3E rules. But heh I could be wronge since I'm not all that familiar with 3E.
Feanor_Karnil Posted - 13 Jan 2003 : 19:07:34
A ranger starts casting spells at level four. Drizzt is a level 5 ranger, so I believe he has Detect Evil or some protection spell.

I have looked up Drizzt's stats in the FRCS and he does have at least one spell, I believe that it is detect animals or plants.
Drummer Boy Posted - 11 Jan 2003 : 19:37:47
quote:
Originally posted by AraznBlair

I have always wondered why he never casts any spells. I remember in one of the books when the group rescued Wulfgar from Ertu and he lost Geun he cast animal friendship on a seal. Other than that I do not remember him casting anything. Has he?

I don't think I know of any other time he has used one of his ranger spells. However, he does use some of his skills as a ranger by tracking, and one time he shared a cave with a hibernating bear (and lived to tell about it!).
Ranaghar Tsaran Posted - 10 Jan 2003 : 21:42:21
maybe Mielikki didn't give him any ranger spells...maybe he never wanted to use magic...who knows? As a drow I always wanted to use magic, but my matron have sent me to Melee-Magthere...
AraznBlair Posted - 10 Jan 2003 : 19:58:55
I have always wondered why he never casts any spells. I remember in one of the books when the group rescued Wulfgar from Ertu and he lost Geun he cast animal friendship on a seal. Other than that I do not remember him casting anything. Has he?
Feanor_Karnil Posted - 10 Jan 2003 : 18:58:59
I believe Drizzt is better without his cleric spells it shows that he isn't immortal. I also think that he is one of those rangers not reliant on his spells which I think is better off.
Kitira Gildragon Posted - 10 Jan 2003 : 16:31:35
Yup! See? (Sorry for the short post here)
Drummer Boy Posted - 10 Jan 2003 : 14:49:13
quote:
Originally posted by Kitira Gildragon

*******SPOILER*******
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Other than my true love (snicker) [j/k], Soulafein is a character from BG2. When you are stuck in the Drow City, you must go in under the guise of a Drow and retrieve some dragon eggs to leave the underground. There you serve a Drow female name Phaere. She's rather cruel and makes it known that doesn't like you or Soulafein. You run several missions for her, but the feeling that leaks through Soulafein is that he doesn't like doing these evil deeds. Eventually you find out that Soulafein and Phaere used to be lovers and her mother took Phaere and killed the bond the two shared by hardening Phaere. She even threatens to have Soulafein killed. Oh, BTW, she sends YOU to do it. If you don't kill him, he'll give you his piwafwi which you show her as proof and admits that Lloth holds no sway over his heart. In the end he flees the city, but not before giving you a way to strike back at the "Despana b****" (as he calls her).
I'm surprised the name's not mentioned in the BG books... it should be! Does this help drummerboy?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Spoiler(Again)!!!!!!!!!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Actually I think he is in the books, but I just forgot about him since it's been so long since I've read them. Isn't he the drow warrior the heroes meet after they talk to the dragon?
Kitira Gildragon Posted - 09 Jan 2003 : 16:42:03
*******SPOILER*******
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Other than my true love (snicker) [j/k], Soulafein is a character from BG2. When you are stuck in the Drow City, you must go in under the guise of a Drow and retrieve some dragon eggs to leave the underground. There you serve a Drow female name Phaere. She's rather cruel and makes it known that doesn't like you or Soulafein. You run several missions for her, but the feeling that leaks through Soulafein is that he doesn't like doing these evil deeds. Eventually you find out that Soulafein and Phaere used to be lovers and her mother took Phaere and killed the bond the two shared by hardening Phaere. She even threatens to have Soulafein killed. Oh, BTW, she sends YOU to do it. If you don't kill him, he'll give you his piwafwi which you show her as proof and admits that Lloth holds no sway over his heart. In the end he flees the city, but not before giving you a way to strike back at the "Despana b****" (as he calls her).
I'm surprised the name's not mentioned in the BG books... it should be! Does this help drummerboy?
Drummer Boy Posted - 09 Jan 2003 : 05:42:00
quote:
Originally posted by Kitira Gildragon

quote:
Originally posted by drummerboy465

... Instead of just bowing down to the the evil culture from which he was born, he rises up to become on of the few, if any, drow who is not evil. And you can't say he doesn't look cool with his twin scimitars and dark cloak.

I'd just like to point out that Soulafein from BG2 was good as well. Just my two cp. No offense

No offense taken. Who is Soulafein though? I think he must be a character only in the game because I've read the BG books and don't recall that name.
Kitira Gildragon Posted - 08 Jan 2003 : 16:57:28
quote:
Originally posted by drummerboy465

... Instead of just bowing down to the the evil culture from which he was born, he rises up to become on of the few, if any, drow who is not evil. And you can't say he doesn't look cool with his twin scimitars and dark cloak.

I'd just like to point out that Soulafein from BG2 was good as well. Just my two cp. No offense
vlad tepes Posted - 08 Jan 2003 : 14:56:11
I have read the most recent of the Drizzt books The Thousand Orcs and it is wonderful book.
Drizzt Posted - 04 Jan 2003 : 04:45:34
I don't think R. A. Salvatore wanted to put the ranger spells in Drizzt's reutine because think of all of that extra stuff he would have to put in...The casting, the effects, and all of that other stuff. Ohh well...The books are about as good as they can get anyways, so no reason to think of stuff that hasn't happened in the past books.

quote:

Drizzt Do Urden Posted - 04 Jan 2003 : 00:20:16
Actually I havn't read all about the famous Drow called Drizzt, but I like him, he is one
of my favorite fantasy characters. One of the things about him he is a Outcast and I think everone is feeling sometimes outcast (someone more than others)that is why I like him.
kellinjar Posted - 03 Jan 2003 : 19:53:12
I may bea bit off as its been awhile since I've read any drizzt books I should do that again, but if montolio was a ranger according to 3rd ed rules, he doesn't get cure blindess, at least its not on the rangers spell listing (page 167-168 phb). As to why drizzt never uses his rangers spells, I'm not sure, perhaps he's not granted any, he is a fairly unconventional character.
Drizzt Posted - 03 Jan 2003 : 04:05:22
(((SPOILERS))) Can someone tell me why Drizzt don't ever use his Ranger(cleric) spells?
People get hurt all the time and he could heal them, such as Elefayn,
in the Sea of Swords© when Drizzt stabbed her cause he didn't know who she was, he could have healed her.
Or when Regis got hit in the arm with that durned Goblin Arrow. I would figure that when montolio taught Drizzt how to be a ranger, he would have taugh him how to use his ranger spells. Although, i may be wrong, Montolio might have not known his self, after all he could have healed hisself when he went blind.
Thanks
Drizzt Posted - 26 Dec 2002 : 19:16:02
The novels that have so far been released are awesome. They have enough action, adventure, and every thing else that needs to be in a good book. You can find them at your local Hastings© in the Sci-Fi section...they also have all of your gaming needs. IF you want to visit my site about Drizzt, then click http://www.twinscimitars.freeservers.com
Drummer Boy Posted - 19 Oct 2002 : 01:23:08
I would like to read all of the books about Drizzt I can, but I'm just worried that I don't have enough time to read all those!
lowtech Posted - 16 Oct 2002 : 14:21:48
Thanks for the heads up, Darwin.

I need to start saving my money for all these new books!
Darwin Tenderfoot Posted - 16 Oct 2002 : 04:07:21
ArcticKnight thank you for listing all the books Drizzt and Guen are in. Because I did not know exactly what order all the books went in. I also like Drizzt the best out of any hero in Forgotten Realms. R.A. Salvatore did a great job on Drizzt, and those fight scenes are amazing. I am going to start buying every Forgotten Realms book I can. My brother already is collecting Dragonlance. I also thought that I would mention that Artemis Enteri is my favorite villian also. He's just so villany, he always has some plan.
Might I add that there is a short story on Enteri on this very sight.

Darwin
ArcticKnight Posted - 15 Oct 2002 : 11:56:59
ahh the Drizzt books , wonderful series!!!

The DarkElf Trilogy
Homeland
Exile
Sojourn

The Icewind Dale Trilogy
The Crystal Shard
Streams of Silver
The Halflings Gem

Legacy of the Drow Series
The Legacy
Starless Night
Siege of Darkness
Passage to Dawn

Paths of Darkness series
The Silent Blade
Spine of the World
The Servent of the Shard
Sea of Swords

The Hunters Blades Trilogy
The Thousand Orcs
The Lone Drow
The Two Swords

he is also in
Realms of Valor
Realms of the Underdark
Guen is in
Realms of Magic
Ditalidas Posted - 15 Oct 2002 : 11:35:59
I have read the Dark Elf Trilogy, the Icewind Dale Trilogy, Legacy of the Drow and some of the loose novels as The Silent Blade and The Spine of the World. The last one fits in the sequel, but mainly covers Wulfgar's story when he is separated from the party.
I understand from Drizzt (see under Products and Novels the thread 'Can't wait till Wednesday') that there is a new trilogy on its way named 'The Thousand Orcs'. I did not know it was coming and have no idea what its contents is. Maybe Drizzt can fill us in on that a little more when he has the books.

I just want to add that I loved to read the books mentioned above. After Lord of the Rings they were my first books I read in English. It was sometimes difficult, but I learned a lot of them. Nevertheless I read them in one breath, loving almost every page of them.

heh.. I suddenly realize I'm not completely honest with you. Before I read Lord of the Rings I read the book The Vampire Lestad by Anna Rise... in English... but that's besides the point.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000