Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Books featuring Manshoon

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Josh82 Posted - 01 Jul 2009 : 16:06:42
I've been reading a lot of references about Manshoon Wars but I can't find any books specifically about them. I'm not talking about those source books or whatever they are called but actual novels, if any exist. Any help is appreciated.

ps.. I tried searching here and on Google but didn't find anything but a reference to cloak and dagger which looks like one of those guides people use for playing the game.

12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
swifty Posted - 02 Jul 2009 : 22:44:31
manshoon also appears in shadows of doom.book one of the shadow of the avatar.was he in the avatar trilogy itself.
Auzoros Posted - 02 Jul 2009 : 14:54:23
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Most of the novels and short stories written by Ed feature Manshoon to some degree -- the most notable being "Shandril's Saga" and, more recently, the "Knights of Myth Drannor" trilogy [which happens to include one of my favourite Manshoon appearances, along with Elminster and Khelben].

Thanks again Sage It's time to give eBay another visit
The Sage Posted - 02 Jul 2009 : 14:20:06
quote:
Originally posted by Mark o Bello

Pardon my ignorance, but can anyone list for me the novels that Manshoon appears in? I have been away from the Realms for a very long time and have only renewed my passion in the last 18 months. Spellfire is one, yes?

Correct.

Most of the novels and short stories written by Ed feature Manshoon to some degree -- the most notable being "Shandril's Saga" and, more recently, the "Knights of Myth Drannor" trilogy [which happens to include one of my favourite Manshoon appearances, along with Elminster and Khelben].
Auzoros Posted - 02 Jul 2009 : 14:17:14
quote:
Originally posted by Josh82

It just seems like instead of writing books about the really really really cool stuff that happened before the spell plague they are starting books off 100 years later and I'm just stuck reading boring books with little references to the stuff I want to read about. I want to read a book about Ilsevele and Myth Drannor, or Rhymanthiin or what old Elminster is up to. Is this stuff coming or did they scratch it off their lists to write stuff about this strange (and boring) future FR world?

Josh82, you ask a very good question. I too now wonder if pre-spellplague stories will ever again be written? I for one certainly hope so!
Auzoros Posted - 02 Jul 2009 : 14:08:31
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Yes, welcome!
And as one of Ed Greenwood's players and confidants, I would be (ahem) less than surprised to see some more about Manshoon in some future published Realmslore. More than one such source, even . . .
I don't know how I know that, you understand. I just do ...

love,
THO

My goodness, I almost choked on my coffee when I read that! Thank you for the heads up dear Lady. That is very exciting news

Pardon my ignorance, but can anyone list for me the novels that Manshoon appears in? I have been away from the Realms for a very long time and have only renewed my passion in the last 18 months. Spellfire is one, yes?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Jul 2009 : 07:21:11
quote:
Originally posted by Josh82

My main problem is that in the Grand History of the Realms there is so many interesting things that I can't find any books about. Is 90% of the stuff in the book just made up to fill in the blank space or is every listing a fact from a novel?

A lot of stuff comes from various sourcebooks. Most of the novels in the Realms were set between about 1356-1375, at least until the Sellplague. Even in that timeframe, a lot of what went on wasn't in novels.
Josh82 Posted - 02 Jul 2009 : 07:18:05
Thanks for the info and the welcome guys. I have been reading FR for years but it can be somewhat confusing at times. I've finished off the selection at Barnes & Noble a long time ago and I've been ordering the older books from Amazon. I'm staying currently with the new books but I swear I must be missing a whole lot.

I've been using this page as a guide (http://www.o-love.net/realms/fr_books.html) to find new books and I've read about 80-90% of them. My main problem is that in the Grand History of the Realms there is so many interesting things that I can't find any books about. Is 90% of the stuff in the book just made up to fill in the blank space or is every listing a fact from a novel?

It just seems like instead of writing books about the really really really cool stuff that happened before the spell plague they are starting books off 100 years later and I'm just stuck reading boring books with little references to the stuff I want to read about. I want to read a book about Ilsevele and Myth Drannor, or Rhymanthiin or what old Elminster is up to. Is this stuff coming or did they scratch it off their lists to write stuff about this strange (and boring) future FR world?

I'm not all complains though, I'm 1/2 way through this Corsair book and its pretty good. I'm also 1/2 through that last Nights of Myth Drannor book which I gave up to read this other one. If I have to read another "For the good of Cormyr" I think I'd shoot myself. That book consists of more stupid quotes than any book I've ever read. No offense to the author or anything but I'm a paying customer so I have to right to rant. I'll end my rant now since its not on topic.
The Sage Posted - 02 Jul 2009 : 01:37:04
quote:

Yes, welcome!
And as one of Ed Greenwood's players and confidants, I would be (ahem) less than surprised to see some more about Manshoon in some future published Realmslore. More than one such source, even . . .

love,
THO

Oooh! I'm positively intrigued. I've longed for more Manshoon lore.
Dart Ambermoon Posted - 01 Jul 2009 : 23:44:38
quote:

Yes, welcome!

love,
THO

Indeed? Well Dear Lady Hooded...oh Impish Empress...that is what I´d call sowing the seeds of hope.
There has sadly never been enough limelight on the Machiavellian puppetmaster of the Zhentarim...although his appearance in Ed´s last novel was mighty fine...especially his musings on adventurers.
The Hooded One Posted - 01 Jul 2009 : 17:36:13
Yes, welcome!

love,
THO
Auzoros Posted - 01 Jul 2009 : 17:27:04
I agree Sage. Manshoon is such an iconic villian in the Realms. It really is a shame that his story was never told in the novels. And the Manshoon Wars offer so much to explore.

Btw, welcome to Candlekeep Josh82.
The Sage Posted - 01 Jul 2009 : 16:18:59
There aren't any novels which feature the Manshoon Wars as a plot. Steven Schend has long lamented this point. And myself, Wooly, Steven, and a number of other scribes have often speculated on the possible content of such a series [since I suspect the character of Manshoon, and by extension the Manshoon Wars, would require more than just a single trilogy to explore].

Cloak & Dagger pretty much covers all we officially we know about the Manshoon Wars. It was never intended to be fully fleshed out in 3e. Which is unfortunate, because it was one of the more intriguing plot-lines from 2e that I would've loved to have seen carried on into the future Realmslore.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000