Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Reading order, any stupid mistakes?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hydr0x Posted - 20 May 2009 : 15:27:11
So, after having read most of the Drizzt books, having stopped reading FR (university taking up too much time) and finally continuing with the Finder's Stone trilogy I had to work out a reading order. Here's what I came up with, I'm currently reading Elminster: The Making of a Mage. Wanted to start with that trilogy because it's such a nice collector's edition and a fascinating character.

What I'm looking for here is feedback about any possible problems with this order, especially stories referencing other ones a lot and characters introduced somewhere else.

I'm also still confused about the Harpers and Songs & Swords. I know Songs & Swords 1-4 are Harpers 2,8,13 and 16. So would I be better off just ignoring the Songs & Swords series and just reading all Harpers in their order? I know they are mostly not really connected but I just can't find a reasons to read Harpers 8 before reading 3-7 ;)

Also, with The Harpers, can I read Crown of Fire as part of Shandril's Saga without having read Harpers 1-8 first? I already ordered a used edition of Crown of Fire which was part of The Harpers.

(Finder's Stone)
Elminster 1-3
The Cleric Quintet (which I haven't read yet)
Shadows of Avatar Series
Spellfire
Silverfall
Elminster 4+5
Once Around the Realms
The Harpers 1-16 (incl. Songs & Swords)
Hand of Fire (aka Shandril's Saga III)
(Lost Gods 2+3 ??)
Sembia: Gateway to the Realms Series
Cormyr Saga
The Last Mythal Series
... (no real use yet posting the rest)

Is there anything not on the list that "should" be read before any of these?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 May 2009 : 23:15:08
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

But its really not important, just the role of Bane and such, it should be little problem reading the individual series out of the chronological order. I would just go along read them as I felt like it.

Ditto that. The Realms books tell enough stories that you can generally read one series without any knowledge at all of another.

That said, here's a good chronological listing:
O Love's Novels Timeline
Jorkens Posted - 20 May 2009 : 22:01:40
Crown of Fire takes place before the Time of Trouble and therefore before Shadow. I cant remmember if the last book is before or after.

But its really not important, just the role of Bane and such, it should be little problem reading the individual series out of the chronological order. I would just go along read them as I felt like it.
hydr0x Posted - 20 May 2009 : 20:28:43
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens
Spellfire should go before Shadow of the Avatar.

Good to know, what about the other parts of Shandril's Saga, should I read them before Shadow of the Avatar too?

Thanks for both of your helpful replies.
Jorkens Posted - 20 May 2009 : 18:50:54
Not my speciality, but Crown of Fire can be read without reading any other Harper books. Spellfire should go before Shadow of the Avatar. The Harper series are The Harper books I would just read in order. There are probably some things that were effected by the Time of Troubles, but generally I would just read them as you see fit.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 20 May 2009 : 15:40:32
Hmmm... I'd probably 'bump' Elaine's stories up before Spellfire (easily done since the Harpers series does not have to be read all at once or in order, except for Elaine's). Spellfire I'd drop lower (should be read with Hand of Fire and Crown of Fire). And give a big boost to the Cormyr Saga!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000