Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Returned Abeir Novels?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alisttair Posted - 10 Mar 2009 : 17:05:05

Does anyone know if there are any novels planned or currently being written that will be taking place in Returned Abeir?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dennis Posted - 17 Feb 2011 : 21:19:06

I wouldn't be surprised if the first novel to feature this uncharted territory would again have the ubiquitous Drizzt.
Dark Wizard Posted - 16 Feb 2011 : 03:53:25
I wouldn't mind novels set in Abeir proper.
Dennis Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 05:34:16

Indeed, I know. I think it's not that much of a spoiler if I say Angul found a new wielder.

I recall a line about that silly sword that reminded me why I dislike most of powerful or sentient/quasi sentient swords---it was something like "Angul has duties to perform in Faerun's defense." Why can't Raidon have a scythe or a rake for a change?
Caolin Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 02:44:40
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:

I don't like Returned Abeir, but I don't dislike it either. So I will read a novel set in it depending on who the characters are. I'm not a fan of Kiril Duskmourn. She and her ridiculous sword, Angul, bored me in Darkvision. If she'll be featured in a Returned Abeir novel as a main character, I'm going to pass.

You haven't read much of the 4E fiction have you? Check out Plague of Spells.

I read a lot of 4E fiction. I'm not one of the haters. I also read, and in fact, like Plague of Spells, and that's because of Japheth and the Lord of Bats.

I brought it up because you mentioned Kiril and Angul. I won't spoil it for those who haven't read Plague of Spells, but since you read the novel you will know what I am speaking of.
The Red Walker Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 02:44:36
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

quote:

I don't like Returned Abeir, but I don't dislike it either. So I will read a novel set in it depending on who the characters are. I'm not a fan of Kiril Duskmourn. She and her ridiculous sword, Angul, bored me in Darkvision. If she'll be featured in a Returned Abeir novel as a main character, I'm going to pass.

Oh yeah, if your looking for Cthulu fan-fic, set in the realms...you cant afford to miss that one

It's more than that. Cordell's "Aboleth Sovereignty" novels provide a further firm foundation for the future of aboleth activity in the 4e Realms.

Doesn't seem like Much more than that, except reminiscent of V motherships ...but either way it's Another neg for me, but glad it's interesting to someone.
Dennis Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 01:19:31
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:

quote:

I think he skipped a lot of novels

As I noted in the past, just those elfy, Manshoony [with the exception of Shandril saga and ELMINSTER MUST DIE], and knighty ones.
Dennis Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 01:15:51
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh yeah, if your looking for Cthulu fan-fic, set in the realms...you cant afford to miss that one

It's more than that. Cordell's "Aboleth Sovereignty" novels provide a further firm foundation for the future of aboleth activity in the 4e Realms.

Agreed.

The rise of the Abolethic Sovereignty was one of things I had looked forward to before reading the trilogy. The more evil organizations in the Realms, the better.
Dennis Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 01:12:33
quote:

quote:

I read a lot of 4E fiction. I'm not one of the haters. I also read, and in fact, like Plague of Spells, and that's because of Japheth and the Lord of Bats.
The Sage Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 00:27:37
quote:

quote:

quote:

The Red Walker Posted - 14 Feb 2011 : 21:20:30
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

The two novels that will bring me into the 4e novel line are Godborn and Serpent's Daughter. If I like those, I may consider reading some of the other 4e Realms novels written by some of my favorite Realms authors. Right now I am enjoying being subscribed to the Pathfinder Tales line. So far those novels have enchanted me in the same way that the Realms novels used to.

thanks for the reminder....I need to move Winter Witch to the top of my "to buy" list!
The Red Walker Posted - 14 Feb 2011 : 21:19:24
quote:

quote:

Hawkins Posted - 14 Feb 2011 : 21:01:31
The two novels that will bring me into the 4e novel line are Godborn and Serpent's Daughter. If I like those, I may consider reading some of the other 4e Realms novels written by some of my favorite Realms authors. Right now I am enjoying being subscribed to the Pathfinder Tales line. So far those novels have enchanted me in the same way that the Realms novels used to.
Alisttair Posted - 14 Feb 2011 : 18:42:20
quote:

quote:

I think he skipped a lot of novels
Caolin Posted - 14 Feb 2011 : 18:09:09
quote:

Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 14 Feb 2011 : 05:38:32
On one hand I think it would be better if the novel focused on new characters native to Abier, though I can see the advantage of having a Faerunian around as the fish out of water so we can learn more about the culture of the place. I think the best compromise there is to have a Faerunian, but not have them be the main character. Have them be the Watson to the Abeirnian's Holmes.
Dennis Posted - 14 Feb 2011 : 05:20:06

Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Feb 2011 : 04:12:36
I might be willing to read a novel set in Returned Abeir.
Blueblade Posted - 14 Feb 2011 : 01:27:55
Which would make Ed the best person to write novels set in Returned Abeir, being as he created all of it. Yep, even Gontal, the bit that wouldn't fit in the 4e Realms Campaign Guide, that ended up on the WotC website as a Bruce Cordell article. Ed's creation. Reading his Backdrop: Tarmalune article left me itching to read about all of the Dusk Ports and the Sword Lands.
Ed would be my first choice for the scribe of this part of the Realms. Let Ed show the way, then let others (like the superb Elaine Cunningham) step in, bring us new characters, and tell their tales.
Yessss...
BB
Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 13 Feb 2011 : 23:10:06
I would be very interested in reading about Returned Abier. In my opinion it's probably the best thing about 4e realms, and I find it to be an extremely interesting concept.
TulkaS- Posted - 13 Feb 2011 : 23:05:05
quote:
Originally posted by Tarrok of Halruaa

You might be right about Bruce Cordell being best placed to write a set of Returned Abeir novels. As for Kiril Duskmourn, she went missing in the Vilhorn wilds, when I was talking about Returned Abeir I meant the whole continent that replaced Maztica in the Trackless Sea rather than the pieces of Abeir that landed on Faerun itself (which are covered in part in novel series like the Brotherhood of the Griffon).

I think that when she went in vilhon wilds she made a trade and she opened a portal to Returned by giving angul to a guardian ! I was referring to that part , or so i recall in my memory !
Tarrok of Halruaa Posted - 13 Feb 2011 : 21:36:50
You might be right about Bruce Cordell being best placed to write a set of Returned Abeir novels. As for Kiril Duskmourn, she went missing in the Vilhorn wilds, when I was talking about Returned Abeir I meant the whole continent that replaced Maztica in the Trackless Sea rather than the pieces of Abeir that landed on Faerun itself (which are covered in part in novel series like the Brotherhood of the Griffon).
TulkaS- Posted - 13 Feb 2011 : 21:14:33
I think that as it was mentioned in this topic bruce cordell is the most likely to undertake the project not only because he 's already written the short story ''wondering stones '' but also because one of his major characters Kiril Duskmourn is currently missing in returned-abeir .... Furthermore in the books it is implied that the reason she went to this journey was so important that she left behind Angul to achieve it .... and we all know how she felt about the sword !
What say you ? Isn't that interesting ?
Tarrok of Halruaa Posted - 13 Feb 2011 : 18:01:52
Well, "Wandering Stones" in Realms of the Dead (published last year) is a story by Bruce R Cordell set in Returned Abeir.

I think that one set of Realms novels set on the newly returned continent would be a good addition to the series. Even better would be a set of novels that focus not just on the problems caused by Returned Abeir arriving on Toril but also on what happens to Maztica now that it is part of Abeir...
The Red Walker Posted - 13 Mar 2009 : 12:20:22
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Besides, it's not cross-pollination unless it produces a new, distinct setting (from the resulting seeds).

Anyway, yeah, I prefer "Abeir" to simply be part of the planet's name...

Looks like a distinct, new setting to me
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 13 Mar 2009 : 01:02:03
Besides, it's not cross-pollination unless it produces a new, distinct setting (from the resulting seeds).

Anyway, yeah, I prefer "Abeir" to simply be part of the planet's name...
The Sage Posted - 12 Mar 2009 : 23:38:12
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-There does seem to be alot of cross pollination going on lately. But what should we expect when alot of the new desingers cut their teeth on Eberron, and most of the Realms designers(Those that matter that is.) work for Paizo or somewhere else now.
"Cross-pollination" between campaign settings isn't really anything new, though. Thanks to the Great Wheel cosmology and Phlogiston, we often found setting-specific elements, like kender, in other settings, like the Realms for example.
The Red Walker Posted - 12 Mar 2009 : 23:00:27
I have thoght long and hard about this subject. I have decided that I will have nothing to do with "returned abeir". How can it have returned when it never was? If they want to be intellectualy honest and call it Invented-Abeir or borrowed from another wizards property and called Abeir then maybe I might.
As much as it pains me, I will not be reading any abeer novels or aboleth novels. I don't care who writes them. If Ed himself penned it and It was offers to me by a unclothed THO, I am still not interested. I will support Ed through his other good novels series even though they are not in my beloved realms that exists in by bookshelf and will only contai. A handful of non-abeer , non-aboleth 4e stuff.
I hope those who want to enjoy them, but it just isn't my bag baby!
And I am sure if I miss something truly amazing , the good scribe here will spread the word for all to hear!

Ed: so
Brimstone Posted - 12 Mar 2009 : 22:35:43
-I like Eberron when its in Eberron. What happens in Eberron stays in Eberron, what happens in the Realms affects the Multiverse.

-There does seem to be alot of cross pollination going on lately. But what should we expect when alot of the new desingers cut their teeth on Eberron, and most of the Realms designers(Those that matter that is.) work for Paizo or somewhere else now.

-On topic I kinda like the concept of Returned Abeir, but its to foreign a realms concept to me. If Ed, Steven, Elaine, or Rich Baker (Who must be stopped!) was to write a novel in Abeir or Returned Abeir I would read it. Just my two coppers.

BRIMSTONE
The Sage Posted - 12 Mar 2009 : 15:16:12
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

<snip> *'Abeir' is some kind of continent/landmass/moon/planet/demiplane/plane that, in the past, somehow "latched" on to 'Toril', joining the two as 'Abeir-Toril'. The denizens of 'Abeir', Aberrations, including the dreaded 'Aboleth Soverignty', attempted to colonize 'Toril' during this time. At some point, around -31,000 DR, a group of deities pooled together and "flung" 'Abeir' away. <snip>

It's my personal opinion, but this whole thing just annoys me due to its 'similarity' to Eberron's Xoriat.

Xoriat...is that new to Eberron or was always there? (pardon my lack of knowledge of things Eberrish)

No, the plane of Xoriat has been there since the "official" beginning of the setting. Back from the publication of the EBCS in '04. Check the EBERRON sub-site at WotC for more.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Mar 2009 : 14:50:05
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

<snip> *'Abeir' is some kind of continent/landmass/moon/planet/demiplane/plane that, in the past, somehow "latched" on to 'Toril', joining the two as 'Abeir-Toril'. The denizens of 'Abeir', Aberrations, including the dreaded 'Aboleth Soverignty', attempted to colonize 'Toril' during this time. At some point, around -31,000 DR, a group of deities pooled together and "flung" 'Abeir' away. <snip>

It's my personal opinion, but this whole thing just annoys me due to its 'similarity' to Eberron's Xoriat.

It annoys me because before they came up with this idea, Abeir was a part of Toril's name, added simply to move the planet's entry to the front of the list in the Old Grey Box.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000