Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Breaking in

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Fordy Posted - 05 Dec 2008 : 16:43:24
Hi all. I'm new here, so apologies in advance if this has been covered previously and answered at length. I've already broached this over at the Worlds of D&D site, but i've consequently had little joy, so I thought I'd try my hand here.

I'm an unagented novelist, and a long time fan of the FR universe and D&D as a whole. For almost as long, I've wanted to break through the seemingly impregnable barrier that stands in the way of me submitting fiction proposals, of any length, to WotC, and it's growing increasingly frustrating. Yes, I know WotC's book department does not accept unsolicited submissions. Yes, I also know they had something of a manuscript/author cull recently which will make it harder than ever. The problem is there seems to be no window for new talent to shine through, and it's been around four years since they last held an open call (I believe that was for the Maiden of Pain).

To get to the point, I wondered if there was anyone in the know who might be able to help me out with help and advice, or perhaps even a contact, where I could submit short fiction, novel proposals or anything else that might get me on the ladder.

I know about the Once Upon a Time forums on the WotC boards, and these are not a showcase for new talent. I also know that Dragon magazine was at one time advertising for short stories, but this was soon closed as an avenue for fiction submissions.

All I want to know is whether anyone knows of any route, no matter how circuitious, that one might follow to the doorstep of WotC's novel department without being an already bestselling novelist or WotC game designer.

Your help is much appreciated guys.

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hawkytom Posted - 11 Dec 2008 : 00:15:18
quote:
Originally posted by Fordy

I guess the easy answer is because I'm a fan of the setting and have been for years. I'm also a novelist who likes the idea of creating characters and plot in a shared world - my current novel, The Dragons of Lencia is set in Joe Dever's world of Maganamund, and obviously my Warhammer fiction is set in that particular milieu. That's not to say I haven't created anything off my own back. I currenty have an original novel I'm touting to publishers, and another in the works.

I think the bottom line is; I know I could do a good job for Wizards, and as a novelist, and fan of D&D, writing FR fiction is an avenue I would kick myself for not pursuing. It's just frustrating that there seems no way for me currently to break in.

Hey Fordy! Great job on your novel Dragons of Lencia, I'm a proud owner and look forward to the next installment!
As you can probably tell from my signature, I'm quite familiar with Joe Dever's work and also your new Maganamund novel.

I wish you the best of luck with breaking into realms fiction, I'll keep my eyes open for your name on realms fiction!
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 07 Dec 2008 : 23:49:13
Hmm. You sound like the sort of writer I'd like to work with.

Keep watching and waiting, I guess, is the best answer to your questions. An opportunity can and will arise . . . just don't stop writing other stuff in the meantime.

Also, it's entirely possible you might be able to sneak into an anthology one of these days. I know a few people who have done it that way. It may not be a full-blown novel, but it's a foot in the door. RLB's advice is really good: get well recognized for your writing elsewhere, and more doors (while not necessarily being opened) will at least be unlocked.

Cheers
Fordy Posted - 07 Dec 2008 : 01:03:11
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

P.S. I hope that doesn't sound like discouragement--I sincerely wish you all the good fortune in the world, and would love to count you among our little hard-luck band of adventurers. I'm just curious!

Oh, and don't worry about that. If I was worried about discouragement I wouldn't be considering a career as a novelist - let alone a tie-in novelist
Fordy Posted - 07 Dec 2008 : 01:00:34
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

And on that point, my big question: Why?

Why are you intent on writing for WotC, in particular?

I know love of the setting goes a long way, and having on-going stories about characters you really like makes you want to come back, but really, writing in the Realms is like writing any other fantasy . . . only with the added onus of only publishing at their schedule, and limiting your stories to what they're looking for.

Also, critics will pan you because of the color of your book jacket (as it were) and you'll get no respect for your hard work.

If you've already published outside, why not continue with that?

Has the Realms got something for you that you couldn't find elsewhere?

I guess the easy answer is because I'm a fan of the setting and have been for years. I'm also a novelist who likes the idea of creating characters and plot in a shared world - my current novel, The Dragons of Lencia is set in Joe Dever's world of Maganamund, and obviously my Warhammer fiction is set in that particular milieu. That's not to say I haven't created anything off my own back. I currenty have an original novel I'm touting to publishers, and another in the works.

I think the bottom line is; I know I could do a good job for Wizards, and as a novelist, and fan of D&D, writing FR fiction is an avenue I would kick myself for not pursuing. It's just frustrating that there seems no way for me currently to break in.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 06 Dec 2008 : 22:35:48
I "broke in" to WotC through the Maiden open call. It was mostly luck and perseverence at that point: I didn't win Maiden, but my proposal pleased them enough that they asked for a submission for a Fighters novel and voila! Ghostwalker.

Almost exact same story with James P. Davis, but his GW submission ended up being rewritten into Bloodwalk. (Yay Ghostwalkers!)

I currently know of no real avenue for breaking into WotC. Their book department has been slashed heavily, and their publication schedule shows it. The best thing you can do is achieve independent publishing credits elsewhere, and keep querying if you're really into the Realms. Things can and will change in the future, and you've just got to be patient and wait for that to happen. In the meantime, keep building those publishing credits and building your readership.

And on that point, my big question: Why?

Why are you intent on writing for WotC, in particular?

I know love of the setting goes a long way, and having on-going stories about characters you really like makes you want to come back, but really, writing in the Realms is like writing any other fantasy . . . only with the added onus of only publishing at their schedule, and limiting your stories to what they're looking for.

Also, critics will pan you because of the color of your book jacket (as it were) and you'll get no respect for your hard work.

If you've already published outside, why not continue with that?

Has the Realms got something for you that you couldn't find elsewhere?

Cheers

P.S. I hope that doesn't sound like discouragement--I sincerely wish you all the good fortune in the world, and would love to count you among our little hard-luck band of adventurers. I'm just curious!
ElaineCunningham Posted - 06 Dec 2008 : 21:37:14
quote:
What WotC really needs in a Black Library-style annual open call for short story proposals. BL have found several talented new authors with their Warhammer competitions (which I've won twice now) and it would certainly do Wizards no harm.

As you may be aware, WotC laid off several employees last week. This followed rather closely on the heels of draconian staff reductions in late summer. At present, the editorial staff is limited and stretched. At a time when they are reducing the number of books on the publishing schedule, it seems unlikely that they have the resources to do an open call.

The last open call brought quite a few new writers into WotC. Building any one of them into an FR "name brand" writer requires, at minimum, one book a year. If WotC does only one or two books each month, the publishing slots fill up very quickly. And many of these assignments are made in-house, going to current and former game designers and editors. (In fact, getting a job as a WotC game designer might be one of the best ways to break into fiction.... )

The unpleasant fact is that many, many more people are interested in writing for the Realms than Wizards has openings. WotC can fill these openings without going too far afield, and the Maiden of Pain contest yielded a talent pool that isn't likely to dry up any time soon.

But. Some authors do move on. Jeff Grubb is busy elsewhere, Troy Denning is focusing on Star Wars, and so on. Editorial direction changes. It's a frustrating situation, certainly, but I don't think it's a hopeless one.

By all means send a query. In the meanwhile, keep writing creator-owned fiction. Honing your craft and racking up publishing credentials may help your cause, and they will certainly help your overall career.

Good luck to you!

best,
ec
Fordy Posted - 06 Dec 2008 : 00:26:13
I have queried one of the Eberron fiction editors but with little success (I obtained a polite response but hold out little hope for anything to come from it). Since I have no point of contact via e-mail for anyone else specifically that deals with FR fiction, then I guess a snail mail query addressed to the commissioning editor might be the next best option. Thanks.
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 05 Dec 2008 : 23:43:46
I don't have unlimited faith that my advice is good because I broke in with WotC a number of years ago, and things change. But I was able to break in because, as Rin suggests, I was already a professionally published fiction writer. I queried a WotC fiction editor with a letter than made it clear I had professional credentials and was familiar with D&D. He invited me to submit a story to one of the Realms of anthologies and things built from there.
So, Fordy, if you're already a pro and haven't tried querying, I suggest that you do it. If you have already tried, then I don't know/
Arion Elenim Posted - 05 Dec 2008 : 20:33:06
And don't forget to publish some tidbits here at Candlekeep!!!! :)
Fordy Posted - 05 Dec 2008 : 19:13:22
I already have broken into the field, albeit in a limited capacity. I currently have a fantasy novel on limited edition release (mainstream release comes next year). I've had a short story published by The Black Library and have another on the way next year.

The problem is there is no avenue of approach for writers, even published ones, without an agent. WotC has no slush pile and has become something of a closed shop in recent years to new authors, which is frustrating and disappointing all at once :(
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 05 Dec 2008 : 18:25:26
You could always try getting stuff published in other fantasy magazines/venues. You don't necessarily have to break into the field via WotC if you want to write WotC novels, and having published stories under your belt will most likely help you get more contracts (from WotC and other companies) in the future.
Fordy Posted - 05 Dec 2008 : 17:55:01
I did enquire on the WotC Dragon boards, and was told that DRAGON is no longer accepting fiction. The problem with blindly submitting fiction is that when you write a Forgotten Realms-specific piece it makes it unsuitable for submission elsewhere.

What WotC really needs in a Black Library-style annual open call for short story proposals. BL have found several talented new authors with their Warhammer competitions (which I've won twice now) and it would certainly do Wizards no harm.
Lord Karsus Posted - 05 Dec 2008 : 17:35:01
-Are you sure that DRAGON no longer accepts literature? Or, have they simply taken down the "call to arms", but haven't changed policies? In either case, I don't think it hurts to give it a shot. WotC does not own your intellectual property until you physically (or electronically, whichever, I don't know) sign it over to them, so sending a quick script to them can, at worst, garner an actual rejection letter (as opposed to silence, which is the more likely response), and, at best, an opportunity to be published and have WotC's eyes "opened"- though, again, this doesn't necessarily mean anything, when other established WotC authors haven't been able to "find work" with them.
Fordy Posted - 05 Dec 2008 : 17:24:53
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-Apparently (though I was unable to find the supporting evidence) DRAGON is looking for short story submissions, and they do accept unsolicited material, which they consider for "publishing", so that might be your best bet, the only real alternative that could in theory have something come from it.

Yes, as I mentioned, Dragon soon closed this avenue for reasons best known to themselves. There was a separate page on the Dragon Submission Guidelines section of the WotC website but it was removed soon after author John Scalzi lambasted their policy of buying rights exclusively, for what he considered very little return. Whether this is mere coincidence I don't know.
Lord Karsus Posted - 05 Dec 2008 : 17:16:05
-As you alluded to, there really isn't anything you can do. Even established authors (Kameron Franklin, the winner of the Open Call contest) have been unable to "penetrate" the WotC barrier that you mention.

-An alternative might be to submit literature to online DRAGON magazine. Apparently (though I was unable to find the supporting evidence) DRAGON is looking for short story submissions, and they do accept unsolicited material, which they consider for "publishing", so that might be your best bet, the only real alternative that could in theory have something come from it.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000