Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Saying goodbye to my FR novel collection

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
wnlindsey Posted - 05 Nov 2008 : 21:09:44
Hi All,

I am selling my entire collection of FR books (44 in all).
Most have never been read and the few that have are in near mint condition. The wife says they must go, so, they must go.
Lot includes the rare crucible:trial of cyric the mad edition.

Here

Item number: 150308149681

Mod Edit: Shortened URL.
27   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ranger_of_the_unicorn_run Posted - 11 Dec 2008 : 21:52:10
Y'know, it's kinda sad that your wife is saying you have to get rid of those. Between my dad and me, there are about twice as many Forgotten Realms novels alone, and that doesn't include Dragonlance or the shelves upon shelves of graphic novels my dad owns. 44 books really doesn't take up a lot of space, nor would they take that long to read. I just don't get it.
rockyoumonkeys Posted - 11 Dec 2008 : 16:42:27
quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus
Anyway what's so rare about your Crucible: ToCtM?

maybe not "rare" so much as "uncommon". It's way harder to find than the older version.
rockyoumonkeys Posted - 11 Dec 2008 : 16:41:07
My book collection is going to create a problem like that one day. I just have too many. But I just can't see a scenario where a significant other could come up with a convincing reason to get rid of them completely. If space is a problem, there's other ways to store them.

Fortunately, books are really the only thing I collect compulsively.
Tyranthraxus Posted - 01 Dec 2008 : 23:40:27
It's a shame... Thank god I'm single. I'd rather quit smoking (or at least consider it) then sell my books, comics, RPG stuff or Star Wars collection. Luckily most of my gf's didn't mind my obsession *ahum*... hobby

Anyway what's so rare about your Crucible: ToCtM?
Brynweir Posted - 01 Dec 2008 : 23:27:41
quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

quote:
Originally posted by danbuter

From what I've seen, when one person in a relationship starts making demands like making their SO throw out the things they love, the person just wants out of the relationship, but doesn't have the guts to say it.

Or they want to control things in the relationship. Which is true, most of the time.

Or they're so insecure as to their own worth that they have to test their value against they're SO's possessions. It's possibly just a quest for reassurance... (gods I love all these little peeks into the human psyche - and yes, J, B would so do something like that )

Since it came up, I have to second the fact that women are not the only ones who do such odd and selfish things.

And let it be known that my husband has way more games and toys than any one person possibly should (and I'm certain some of you will argue that there's no such limit)and I have already agreed that should he pass away before I do, I will make certain to keep his collection for our children and not get rid of them. Many of them are out of print and irreplaceable.... and worth a LOT of money to collectors, but I owuld never even think of seeling them.

Back to the original topic- I also wish that these were up individually and not as a single lot.
The Sage Posted - 01 Dec 2008 : 23:02:00
Heh. That kinda reminds me of something I once read about Charles Darwin before he entered marriage. He wrote a list of "pros" and "cons" about the pending union, and tried to determine how the marriage would ultimately affect his lifestyle. Among the "cons" column he wrote, "less money for books."
dwarvenranger Posted - 01 Dec 2008 : 20:44:31
The ex went before the books did. If she didn't like how much I read she shouldn't have married me in the first place. Now I'm a happy bachelor with a yard and a dog, and my books.
Snotlord Posted - 24 Nov 2008 : 22:50:40
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's technically our computer room, but it's mostly my room.

*looks around*
eh... I am happy the Snotlady is kindred spirits of Mrs Hamster.
Laerrigan Posted - 24 Nov 2008 : 21:01:50
Well, Rinonalyrna appears to have efficiently covered my wryly-smiling protest to the overwhelmingly male viewpoint here (call me a strange breed of hypocrite if you will for always playing the opposite gender in RP) I'd have to agree with most everything said, by her and others. For my own part (since we're all sharing relational stuff surrounding this subject), my husband and I make a point of making room for each other and our individual quirks out of mutual respect/delight (two dragons equally possessive over a combined hoard, lol). That said, though, I don't know the individuals or full circumstances involved in the topic-starting situation (I love how discussions bloom, here ), so I really can't comment on that.
storrs19 Posted - 15 Nov 2008 : 13:44:23
Gee, that is sad. I'm kind of glad I live alone. That way I can start filling up the fifth bookshelf I just purchased a few days ago. I have never sold or given away any book I ever got. I have my own library on a myriad of subjects. Not meaning any offense just stating how I feel. Good luck with the sale.
Hawkins Posted - 10 Nov 2008 : 20:29:29
Lol. Just looked at the "Similar items from all eBay sellers" bit that eBay tacked onto the top of the listing:
quote:

Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms: Campaign Setting US $13.99
Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting US $40.00
Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms Player's Guide 4.0 US $17.95
Drakul Posted - 10 Nov 2008 : 18:49:21
quote:

From what I've seen, when one person in a relationship starts making demands like making their SO throw out the things they love, the person just wants out of the relationship, but doesn't have the guts to say it.

Or they want to control things in the relationship. Which is true, most of the time.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 10 Nov 2008 : 18:31:13
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion
-I don't know if it's anger...sadness...jealousy...a mixture of all of those, but whatever it is, but I got this really weird/bad feeling inside when I read that, whatever it's origin. You certainly don't need my permission, but if I ever became like that, go right ahead and kick my ass to the ground and dump me. I'd deserve it. I wanted to mention that, but I forgot, but then going back onto the computer, I saw it again, and was reminded.

Well, I can't say I see you acting like that, to be honest, so no worries there.

quote:

I agree*--if nothing else, it's bound to cause resentment.

*Of course, in some cases it may be for the best--for example, if the "things that were loved" by the other party were, say, illegal drugs.
Alisttair Posted - 10 Nov 2008 : 17:00:58
quote:

This idea scares me a little
Lord Karsus Posted - 10 Nov 2008 : 06:05:25
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

See in my case, well over a year ago, I experienced the opposite problem.* The boyfriend I had at the time thought my love of fantasy in general (among other things) was childish. He actually was into all that (including some D&D) when he was younger, but he had grown out of it and obviously thought everyone else should too.

I was just a little peeved about the direction this thread was going in, because I'm experienced enough to know that men can be as selfish as anything.

*Well, sort of. No one ever actually demanded that I give up this hobby or any tangible items related to it (and I wouldn't do such in any case), but I still had to listen to annoying criticism.

-I don't know if it's anger...sadness...jealousy...a mixture of all of those, but whatever it is, but I got this really weird/bad feeling inside when I read that, whatever it's origin. You certainly don't need my permission, but if I ever became like that, go right ahead and kick my ass to the ground and dump me. I'd deserve it. I wanted to mention that, but I forgot, but then going back onto the computer, I saw it again, and was reminded.

-So, yeah...

-Going crazy...
danbuter Posted - 07 Nov 2008 : 23:43:47
The Sage Posted - 07 Nov 2008 : 23:14:20
quote:

... that men can be as selfish as anything.
This is probably the first time I've used this phrasing online before, but... QFT!
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 07 Nov 2008 : 17:18:54
See in my case, well over a year ago, I experienced the opposite problem.* The boyfriend I had at the time thought my love of fantasy in general (among other things) was childish. He actually was into all that (including some D&D) when he was younger, but he had grown out of it and obviously thought everyone else should too.

I was just a little peeved about the direction this thread was going in, because I'm experienced enough to know that men can be as selfish as anything.

*Well, sort of. No one ever actually demanded that I give up this hobby or any tangible items related to it (and I wouldn't do such in any case), but I still had to listen to annoying criticism.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Nov 2008 : 15:54:38
quote:

quote:
By the Gods, I'll never understand women that do stupid things like that.

Well, let's not pretend that men could never possibly be selfish about things, either. Just for the record, this forum isn't an all-boys club.

Indeed. Both genders have their quirks and bits of oddness. Stereotypes are certainly not universal, but they had to come from somewhere.
The Red Walker Posted - 06 Nov 2008 : 15:19:30
quote:

quote:

Well, let's not pretend that men could never possibly be selfish about things, either. Just for the record, this forum isn't an all-boys club.

Well ya canna spell Women with out men....
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 06 Nov 2008 : 14:50:10
quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Nov 2008 : 06:46:17
quote:

You got yourself a good woman, Wooly. My wife is almost the same as yours. Though, she would allow me to have these display things in the livingroom and allow me to have a room of my own for all my hobby type things. Why can't all women be like that?? LOL

Oh, I can display things in the living room -- just not all that much. But like I said, my collection is now much smaller, and I'm simply not inclined to display it in the living room. Besides, it makes more sense to keep it in the room where I spend most of my free time.
Drakul Posted - 06 Nov 2008 : 01:41:10
You got yourself a good woman, Wooly. My wife is almost the same as yours. Though, she would allow me to have these display things in the livingroom and allow me to have a room of my own for all my hobby type things. Why can't all women be like that?? LOL
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Nov 2008 : 01:07:17
I wish it wasn't going in one big lot... There are some novels I still need to replace that I'd happily bid on, if they were being sold by themselves.

And I'm glad my wife isn't the type to make a demand like that. She knew from our first real date that my books and toys were important to me, and never tried to make an issue of it -- even when I lost it all and was faced with trying to replace a collection I'd spent years amassing.

She's even happy to let me have my own room for my books and toys. It's technically our computer room, but it's mostly my room.

The only real limitation (other than having to budget) that she's put on me is that I can't have too many toys in the living room, as I did in my old apartment (there really wasn't any better place for them, in that tiny dwelling!). But that's okay, because I now have a lot less toys and no inclination to decorate the rest of the house with them.
Drakul Posted - 05 Nov 2008 : 23:59:43
quote:
Originally posted by wnlindsey

Hi All,

I am selling my entire collection of FR books (44 in all).
Most have never been read and the few that have are in near mint condition. The wife says they must go, so, they must go.
Lot includes the rare crucible:trial of cyric the mad edition.

Here

Item number: 150308149681

Mod Edit: Shortened URL.

Sounds like my mother tellin my father 'its the bike or her' which caused their divorce. Even though, my mother was the catalyst that caused the divorce. By the Gods, I'll never understand women that do stupid things like that. I mean, for real, its not like we doin the books or whatever.
The Sage Posted - 05 Nov 2008 : 23:31:23
Wow. I think this would be one time where I didn't listen to the wife.

Though, the Lady K enjoys my FR novel library as much as I do, so I doubt I'd ever have to worry about this type of situation occuring.
Fillow Posted - 05 Nov 2008 : 21:16:25
, what a pity !

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000