Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Crusade - Explains much about Alusair

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Red Walker Posted - 10 Oct 2008 : 13:28:17
I got alot of background on Alusair that explained for me why she "is the way she is"

I did not know that after she "ran away" she fell in love with a young priest, who then was killed by bounty hunters trying to return her to Cormyr for the reward offered by Azoun. It is a wonder she ever forgave him and came home.

As far as her bedding different men all the time(and thus being compared to her father) that appears now not to be the product of an insatiable libido, but a fear of getting to close and falling in love with another man. After all the first time she really is in love , he is killed by bounty hunters after her. That would scare anyone away from true intimacy.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Red Walker Posted - 14 Oct 2008 : 13:32:38
quote:
Originally posted by JamesLowder

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I got alot of background on Alusair that explained for me why she "is the way she is"

Ed Greenwood and Jeff Grubb were both very generous with information on Alusair when I was putting together Crusade. I was very interested in getting the character right, so I talked to them as much as they could bear.

Cheers,
Jim Lowder

Good work James, I know it must seems like eons ago, but I think you got her right!
JamesLowder Posted - 14 Oct 2008 : 06:21:40
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Ed Greenwood and Jeff Grubb were both very generous with information on Alusair when I was putting together Crusade. I was very interested in getting the character right, so I talked to them as much as they could bear.

Cheers,
Jim Lowder
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 10 Oct 2008 : 16:15:36
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Well, it's still possible that she also enjoys lovemaking with lots of different men.

True. She's an Obarskyr, and they are a randy bunch. There's prolly at least a trace of Obarskyr blood in most Cormyrian families.

LOL, true, although I just applied the principle of parsimony, to be honest--she beds many men and (according to everything I've read about her), she seems to enjoy it. Over time, I've gotten the idea that her idea of love and intimacy doesn't need to include monogamy.
The Hooded One Posted - 10 Oct 2008 : 16:12:15
Wooly, that's an untold tale that a particular writer was going to tell, and so it was put under NDA. Said writer is no longer alive, so I will nudge Ed into seeing if he can tell that story now - - and he will embark on the infinitely longer and more difficult taks of getting the tale presented to us all, in the new WotC publishing landscape.
And yes, Red Walker, Jim Lowder's CRUSADE showed us crucial things about how Alusair became the way she is. The best way to understand her is to read Ed's Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy, then Crusade, and then "The Long Road Home" story at the end of Ed's BEST OF THE REALMS Volume II short story collection.
However, it's not JUST that she fears falling in love again, and so being hurt again. Rino is right: she enjoys lovemaking. Moreover, she wants to be accepted as "one of the boys" and do all the adventuring stuff her gender and royal heritage kept her from doing when she was young, AND she's desperate to have friends she can trust. Especially among the noble families, who as far as she can (rightly) tell, tend to hate the Obarskyrs. so if she can co-opt the younger generation of males (her generation) into being her personal friends, she can help the realm, "build a better Cormyr," and personally feel a lot happier. (This isn't just my reading, by the way; it comes from many discussions with Ed. Who thinks about all of this stuff, time and time again.)
love to all,
THO
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 10 Oct 2008 : 16:10:53
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The one thing that always bugged me about Crusade and Alusair's later depictions was her nickname. The dwarves had given her mithril armor and called her the Mithril Princess. So how did she go from Mithril to Steel (as in, the Steel Regent)?

More about her strength of personality. I think maybe the 'beauty' of the princess may have been stripped from her public image after the death of Azoun IV.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Oct 2008 : 16:06:31
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Well, it's still possible that she also enjoys lovemaking with lots of different men.

True. She's an Obarskyr, and they are a randy bunch. There's prolly at least a trace of Obarskyr blood in most Cormyrian families.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Oct 2008 : 16:05:02
The one thing that always bugged me about Crusade and Alusair's later depictions was her nickname. The dwarves had given her mithril armor and called her the Mithril Princess. So how did she go from Mithril to Steel (as in, the Steel Regent)?
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 10 Oct 2008 : 15:53:19

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000