Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The City of Splendors

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
yargarth Posted - 11 Jan 2008 : 05:40:06
When I first heard they where writing a series of books about the "Cities" I was eccentric. We always hear about the heroes. The cities that they where in were always just the Great Waterdeep or the Sketchy Luskan. I was really hoping these books would make each city unique and give them flavor instead of just saying they where great or a bad place to be. After reading The City of Splendors I was disappointed. Did anyone else feel this way afterwards? And please tell me someone else despised the ending as mush as i did.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SirUrza Posted - 11 Jan 2008 : 19:00:42
Oh, I didn't mean to imply I didn't like it, just disappointed.

With 4E my hopes for a Silverymoon book styled after Evermeet/Cormyr is doomed. :)
Jorkens Posted - 11 Jan 2008 : 17:18:00
The only book in the series I actualy finished was The City of Splendors and I liked it. I did try a couple of the others, but gave up quickly.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 11 Jan 2008 : 15:36:22
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
The City of Splendors, for example, was never intended to be like Evermeet -- so it's wrong to be mad that it wasn't. If it had tried to be like Evermeet and failed, then that would be another story.

Agreed, and I was actually happy that the novel tried to be "just a story set in Waterdeep" and not Waterdhavian historical fiction.

I've read all the Cities novels except for City of Ravens, and the only one that disappointed me was Jewel of Turmish. Just imagine: a novel in a series about cities that takes place mostly in the wilderness.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 11 Jan 2008 : 15:34:05
quote:
Originally posted by yargarth

When I first heard they where writing a series of books about the "Cities" I was eccentric.

You were "eccentric"? I just thought that was funny, sorry.

quote:
After reading The City of Splendors I was disappointed. Did anyone else feel this way afterwards? And please tell me someone else despised the ending as mush as i did.

I thought the ending was effective precisely because it was so disturbing to me. Also, I don't know if you felt that this particular novel was saying that Waterdeep is "good or bad", but I didn't get that impression, myself.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Jan 2008 : 13:58:52
And you know, I'm not really sure it's fair to judge a book by your own preconceived notions, rather that what the book is and aimed to be. The City of Splendors, for example, was never intended to be like Evermeet -- so it's wrong to be mad that it wasn't. If it had tried to be like Evermeet and failed, then that would be another story.
Nimriel Posted - 11 Jan 2008 : 12:32:24
I liked City of Splendors, but han't gotten hold of City of Ravens or had the time to read any other book in the series.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Jan 2008 : 11:12:01
I've only read two of the Cities books (The City of Splendors and The City of Ravens), but I enjoyed both of them.
SirUrza Posted - 11 Jan 2008 : 07:26:18
The problem with City of Splendors IMHO is that most of us wanted a Evermeet/Cormyr style novel from it and we ended up getting a story set in Waterdeep. The whole cities series is just a disappointed and a missed opportunity IMHO.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000