Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 FR in recent Dragon magazines?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
martynq Posted - 16 Apr 2004 : 10:09:04
It may just be my imagination, but I don't remember there being many FR articles in the more recent Dragon magazines. Firstly, am I right in this (or just overly paranoid/suspicious), and secondly anyone aware that this is some sort of policy decision?

Martyn

N.B. This is pure speculation on my part, but I'd like to know I am wrong (before I start to create a rumour with no basis!).
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Capn Charlie Posted - 07 Dec 2004 : 15:03:45
I have gotten a lot of play out of Dragon. While at fisrt glance it may seem to be for players, many of those kind of articles are instead for CHARACTERS, a definite difference. My players tend to play one character for, well, years. I as DM need to be constantly be making new ones, so I can use all of the nifty new ideas and character options I can get. Which I also enjoy just reading.

And for every FR fan you showed me, I could probably find one that despises the realms. That's the nature of things, I supose, the magazine is for the game in general, not a single setting.
Alaundo Posted - 07 Dec 2004 : 14:32:55
Well met

Thank ye, Elf_Friend, for bringing this scroll over to the library. 'tis indeed splendid news
Mystery_Man Posted - 07 Dec 2004 : 13:57:38
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Well, I've added my 2 cp as well. I think we may see a turnaround with Erik at the helm - his predecessor was most disinterested in any FR content for DRAGON. Adios to him I say.

-- George Krashos

Erik Mona is all about Greyhawk so I doubt it. I do not buy Dragon and haven't for about 2 years. Mostly because I'm a DM and most Dragon content is for players and lately it has become really what most say "tongue in cheek" as Eberron magazine.

I do buy Dungeon, and I did post a question to Erik on his Dungeon mag boards reagarding when we would see more FR adventures and he graciously answered here. It seems we're going to see a few more in the future by Eric Boyd and Skip Williams.
SiriusBlack Posted - 05 Dec 2004 : 17:42:33
The contents for Dragon #327 have been posted and include the following:

quote:

The Silverfish
by Richard Lee Byers
Richard Lee Byers, author of several Forgotten Realms novels, presents a stirring short story involving characters from The Rite, second book in the Year of the Rogue Dragons series.

SiriusBlack Posted - 04 Dec 2004 : 14:47:28
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
It shouldn't surprise anyone here that this is about the tenth forum thread that I've seen dealing with this subject topic. It appears as though Mr. Mona is really making the rounds with this...

But, he still has not come here...

I told you scribes that some of you were too caustic.
The Sage Posted - 04 Dec 2004 : 06:47:39
quote:

Well, I've added my 2 cp as well. I think we may see a turnaround with Erik at the helm - his predecessor was most disinterested in any FR content for DRAGON. Adios to him I say.

-- George Krashos

I certainly hope so . I'm beginning to miss my monthly dose of Dragon. I mean, it's only been a six months since I cancelled my subscription, but still, if more FR content (and it should be noted here that I'm talking about Realms-specific fluff, and not just stats as has been heavily illustrated in the past) were to be included, I'd consider re-newing my subscription just on that basis alone.
George Krashos Posted - 04 Dec 2004 : 04:17:12

-- George Krashos
The Sage Posted - 04 Dec 2004 : 02:10:28
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

For those interested, the Editor in Chief for Dragon Magazine is asking "Why don't you buy Dragon Magazine?" in the following ENWorld thread:

ENWorld thread

Any FR fans who aren't buying it because of a lack of Realms material can give input.

Ive done my part...... Why havent the rest of you Scribes gone over there and pushed the FR cause!

*Casts Mystic Lash*

Indeed. Consider it done .

It shouldn't surprise anyone here that this is about the tenth forum thread that I've seen dealing with this subject topic. It appears as though Mr. Mona is really making the rounds with this...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Dec 2004 : 22:58:16
I'm going over to toss in my two cents right now...
Dargoth Posted - 03 Dec 2004 : 22:25:43
quote:

For those interested, the Editor in Chief for Dragon Magazine is asking "Why don't you buy Dragon Magazine?" in the following ENWorld thread:

ENWorld thread

Any FR fans who aren't buying it because of a lack of Realms material can give input.

Ive done my part...... Why havent the rest of you Scribes gone over there and pushed the FR cause!

*Casts Mystic Lash*
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 03 Dec 2004 : 20:43:00
Hmm... is that so? Oh well then, I cannot wait to see anything FR make it to the pages of Dungeon then... Come to think of it, nice FR adventures would be nice (we already have tons of 3.0/3.5 supplements for the crunch...)
Faraer Posted - 03 Dec 2004 : 20:34:55
The 'new' Dragon was originally pitched as 'the magazine for players'; now Erik Mona has revised that to 'for everyone who plays D&D, who just happen to be mostly players'. Either way, new Realms content will mostly be in Dungeon, and Erik has said he's lining up some substantial articles by Ed. Though Erik wrote for Faiths and Pantheons, his D&D enthusiasm is for the World of Greyhawk, and I'm chatting with him on the wizards and paizo boards about his ideas for what adventures in the two worlds should be.
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 03 Dec 2004 : 20:01:08
Ok. I've given Dragon a big chance now, waiting for months to see if the situation would be rectified. Alas, the last issue (that I flipped through today at my local gaming store) is still a disappointment, and all traces of the Realms seem to have disappeared from its pages for good... The magazine has no longer any appeal for me. I don't care about D&D Mini strategies and advertisement for D&D Core material. It is sad that Dragon has dropped the Realms ball after such a long history of contribution...
SiriusBlack Posted - 03 Dec 2004 : 17:54:56

ENWorld thread

George Krashos Posted - 21 Aug 2004 : 13:57:05
It was very interesting to read this interview - especially viz a viz FR content in the form of articles from Ed. I find it VERY hard to believe that Ed hadn't replied to a Dragon query for FR articles, and considering how many editor changes the mag has seen of late, I would say that the ball is squarely in Dragon's court re how much FR content they want in their publication.

-- George Krashos
SiriusBlack Posted - 16 Aug 2004 : 20:23:12
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
It's kind of funny that he also said that WOTC reads every article and gives it's okay, thus making it 100% official material. :)

I wouldn't expect him to say anything else but that.
Kuje Posted - 16 Aug 2004 : 17:29:11
quote:

Silven Crossroads has an interview with Dragon's Editor-in-Chief. FR content and EG articles in future Dragons are discussed in this interview.

It's kind of funny that he also said that WOTC reads every article and gives it's okay, thus making it 100% official material. :)
SiriusBlack Posted - 16 Aug 2004 : 15:00:19
Silven Crossroads has an interview with Dragon's Editor-in-Chief. FR content and EG articles in future Dragons are discussed in this interview.
SiriusBlack Posted - 02 Jun 2004 : 04:55:21
quote:
We're not interested in articles for a particular campaign world right now.

Thanks!

Matthew Sernett
Editor-in-Chief
Dragon

Unless it's Eberron I guess.
George Krashos Posted - 02 Jun 2004 : 04:50:48
I wonder how much more FR content we'll see in the "new" Dragon. I had a realmslore-heavy article rejected last year on the basis that it was just that: realmslore heavy. To see whether the "new" Dragon was past all that I sent them an e-query regarding re-submitting the article. I got this response:

Hi George,

Please check out our new writers' guidelines (attached to this email and
soon to be at www.paizo.com/dragon. The new guidelines present a number of
new options for articles and describe the new editorial direction of the
magazine. The guidelines should give you a better understanding of what
we're looking for and how to get your articles accepted.

We're not interested in articles for a particular campaign world right now.

Thanks!

Matthew Sernett
Editor-in-Chief
Dragon

So it looks like I'll still be buying 4-5 issues a year, if that. Oh, and won't be getting published again, ever.

-- George Krashos
SiriusBlack Posted - 02 Jun 2004 : 03:06:19
Someone over at ENWorld has posted the contents of Dragon #321. Below are the FR articles within it:

Faiths of Faerun - Arvoreen's Keepers: Looking Out for the Little Guy. Info on this halfling diety, plus 2 related prestige classes: Arvoreen's Keeper for spellcasters, and Arvoreen's Warder.

Elminster's Guide to the Realms - Nurneene's Marvelous Masks. An interesting shoppe in Waterdeep.

hammer of Moradin Posted - 20 Apr 2004 : 22:53:54
My only problem with the year of subscriptions was in receiving Dungeon and Dragon at least a week after the newsstand received theirs. That happens with almost all subscriptions, however. I always found FR articles too few anyway, even adventures in Dungeon. I have Dragon going back to #89, I think, and Dungeon to #9. Most of these I bought in store when they came out. I even had to replace some early Dungeon's when I thought I lost them in a move(I found them later). They are always a good source of material, FR or otherwise. Of course there are problems from time to time...
martynq Posted - 19 Apr 2004 : 10:19:53
I stopped subscribing when there were a whole load of problems when Paizo took over. Fortunately I was in the end reimbursed for the issues they were unable to send over to the U.K. and I managed to get the issues I missed from a games-shop here. This shop now sends me the magazine every month... costs me a little more due to postage but at least I get it.

My intention is generally to get Dungeon whenever it has Realms related info in it, but I seem to have failed a lot recently since it is hard to find out what is in it in enough time to order a copy.

Martyn
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Apr 2004 : 17:33:33
I'm exactly the opposite, Sarta... I only pick up Dungeon if there's a Realms adventure in it, and I've not been too hot about staying on top of those.

Dragon, on the other hand... I started with issue 163, and I've gotten every issue since. I also back-tracked some, getting everything back to 148, and about a dozen issues older than that. And then I got the CD-ROM archive, so I've effectively got them all.
Sarta Posted - 17 Apr 2004 : 12:51:28
There was an article I've meant to find from a few issues back regarding Set and Seth. Otherwise, I've never really collected Dragon. I found that around 90 percent of the stuff inside was not useful for me as a DM. The FR stuff is definitely appealing, but hasn't been worth buying a subscription. I would like to get my hands on one of the cd versions of the earlier Dragons though so that I could cut and paste the fluff that would be of interest.

I've collected Dungeon on the other hand, since issue 12. Even when I would never use any of the written encounters, I can find a tactic, plot idea, npc, map, or something of use. It has been a far better value.

Sarta
Lady Kazandra Posted - 17 Apr 2004 : 10:40:01
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Though my subscription lapsed long ago, I never had any problems when I was subscribed...

I have to agree. My subscription has been problem-free for the entire three-years that I've been collecting Dragon magazine.
George Krashos Posted - 17 Apr 2004 : 09:26:54
Thanks for the info on FR content in recent Dragon magazines as they all seem to have been in plastic sleeves with other stuff in there - thus making it impossible for me to thumb through them to check for FR articles. And I thought I may have missed out on FR articles in Dragon. As if.

-- George Krashos
SiriusBlack Posted - 17 Apr 2004 : 06:04:44
The Postal System destroy something? Color me stunned.

The June issue of Dragon magazine will feature a Realms piece. Richard Lee Byers has a short story in there featuring one of the characters from his new trilogy.

Kuje Posted - 17 Apr 2004 : 03:50:28
quote:

Wooly + Kuje: I also had no problems with my subscription before letting it end a couple of years ago or thereabouts. Since then, I've seen way too many posts on various message boards from people having problems with subcriptions like Arivia. I believe it's mainly people overseas, but I've also seen Continental U.S. folks have problems. But, the kicker for me was some of the stories about customer service or lack thereof from the publisher when consumers tried to find remedies. I just don't want to deal with having a subscription to a magazine that has this many problems with getting issues to people.

That being said, if someone feels differently and wants to subscribe to Eberron magazine, I mean Dragon magazine; fly and be free. Just let the buyer beware.

Ah, well as I said I've never had those problems and i've been getting it through three companies. TSR/WOTC/PAIZO..... Maybe that is because i've had a subscrip way back when TSR was in biz, I don't know. And when WOTC had it they always helped me when I needed a new one because the US's postal service destroyed it.....
SiriusBlack Posted - 17 Apr 2004 : 03:31:39
Thanks again Arivia for your congrats and friendly manner whenever we converse.

Wooly + Kuje: I also had no problems with my subscription before letting it end a couple of years ago or thereabouts. Since then, I've seen way too many posts on various message boards from people having problems with subcriptions like Arivia. I believe it's mainly people overseas, but I've also seen Continental U.S. folks have problems. But, the kicker for me was some of the stories about customer service or lack thereof from the publisher when consumers tried to find remedies. I just don't want to deal with having a subscription to a magazine that has this many problems with getting issues to people.

That being said, if someone feels differently and wants to subscribe to Eberron magazine, I mean Dragon magazine; fly and be free. Just let the buyer beware.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000