Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 3rd edition FR maps

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Elfinblade Posted - 25 Jan 2004 : 05:21:40
I bought the 3rd edition campaign book a while back, and in it was THE most amazing poster sized map of faerun evvah! but alas, i have misplaced it, and cant find it! how/where can i get a new one? without buying a new campaign book obviously. i really need a new and updated map now, since my 2nd edition maps are getting quite..er.. ripped to shreds, due to heavy use over the years..
22   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lord Rad Posted - 03 Apr 2004 : 09:49:16
quote:
Originally posted by the psychotic seaotter

Bookwyrm: Contact wotc Customer support. Tell them that your map was missing and they will send you a new one. They did that for my Rokugan map After I politely complained that the map tore when I was opening it.

Hope it helps.

Yeah, tell them you need about a dozen too. I could to with one framed on my wall to aid with my campaign
the psychotic seaotter Posted - 03 Apr 2004 : 05:17:35
Bookwyrm: Contact wotc Customer support. Tell them that your map was missing and they will send you a new one. They did that for my Rokugan map After I politely complained that the map tore when I was opening it.

Hope it helps.
The Sage Posted - 25 Feb 2004 : 02:32:46
Yes, minor changes to geography and land type seem to be the whole of it. If you look over the 2e maps that came with the revised ol'greybox, and compare it with the map available in the 3e FRCS, you'll also notice that some of the coastline, and areas around bodies of water have been refined, and in some cases reshaped.

There are other minor changes, like with forestry types between both editions, and some plains/grasslands terrain, but that's pretty much it.
Narv Posted - 23 Feb 2004 : 19:31:53
I've just got in from work and had a quick look at the Thunderpeak area, and things have moved a bit :)

Thunderstone seems to have moved into the mountains a bit....minor changes I think rather than wholesale geographical movements :)
Bookwyrm Posted - 23 Feb 2004 : 17:27:23
I don't have much to compare, but from the way other people talk about it here, everything's mostly the same. Some things have jumped around in spatial relation, while landmarks have also changed or been created by in-story events. If you're just talking about land, I don't believe there's any difference.
Narv Posted - 23 Feb 2004 : 15:04:36
How much difference is there between the 3/3.5E FR and the 2E FR in terms of geography? I have the FRIA and use it alot for my 3E campaign, its nice to be able to print out maps to write on....

Can't wait for the 3.5 FRIA to come out, if it ever does :)
The Sage Posted - 03 Feb 2004 : 14:07:53
Again you are right. I guess everyone just assumes that all FR players would have gone over to the new 3e system, although as you say...that is not always the case. I'll try to be more careful in future...
kahonen Posted - 02 Feb 2004 : 12:47:33
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

You are right of course kahonen, thanks for catching me on that...

I'd hate you to think I'm trying to catch you out on things like this. It's really not the case.

It's just that of late, many of the posts appear to forget how many people use the forums but haven't upgraded from 2nd Edition. Don't get me wrong, I fully understand the reasons behind this and it's entirely justified.

I just like to redress the balance when I can
The Sage Posted - 01 Feb 2004 : 12:39:18
You are right of course kahonen, thanks for catching me on that...

Anyway, I'd already pretty match updated most of the maps. I tried using all the references that I could find (in the novels, and from sourcebooks) to create the most accurate maps I possibly could. Still, it would be nice to see an IA that is new and updated for 3e FR.
kahonen Posted - 01 Feb 2004 : 11:32:02
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

'Some of the maps...' Try nearly all of them. Most of the maps/charts contained within the Atlas are out of date in some regard or another...

I think it's woth pointing out, Sage, that the maps in the Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas (FRIA) are only out of date if you are trying to use them with 3rd Edition (or 3.5 of course).

Many people using Candlekeep are still using 2nd Edition and it's misleading for them to read this thread and get the wrong impression. My personal opinion is that the FRIA is the best investment I've made for D&D.

You should also bear in mind that the maps in the FRIA can be modified very easily. You can export a map or do a screen capture and then use any drawing package to change it as you wish. Not ideal, I know, but a lot easier that drawing maps from scratch.

There are some real bargains to be had for the FRIA if you shop around (Ebay etc). Just because you're using 3 or 3.5E don't write the software off as unusable.
Lord Rad Posted - 01 Feb 2004 : 10:16:54
quote:
Originally posted by Edain Shadowstar

The poster map really is a must have item, I know I love mine (I had it framed). I think they should consider redoing the Interactive Atlas, that was a pretty neat toy, though some of the maps are out of date (I think).

Check this scroll out, Edain...... there was mention from ProFantasy of a 3.5 version of the FR Interactive Atlas being developed
Edain Shadowstar Posted - 31 Jan 2004 : 21:43:05
Okay, but they shoudl still make a new one (or patch the old one).
The Sage Posted - 31 Jan 2004 : 06:30:53
'Some of the maps...' Try nearly all of them. Most of the maps/charts contained within the Atlas are out of date in some regard or another...

I never framed my poster map, although my second copy has been properly pressed (to remove ripples and the like) and coated in special sheeting in order to maintain it's near-original colour and quality...
Edain Shadowstar Posted - 31 Jan 2004 : 04:34:31
The poster map really is a must have item, I know I love mine (I had it framed). I think they should consider redoing the Interactive Atlas, that was a pretty neat toy, though some of the maps are out of date (I think).
The Sage Posted - 29 Jan 2004 : 08:51:54
I assume that would be included in the price of the actual FRCS. What this means is, you'll probably have to pruchase a copy.
Elfinblade Posted - 28 Jan 2004 : 17:55:20
The updated poster sized map in the FRCS book.
The Sage Posted - 26 Jan 2004 : 14:11:39
Is what 'buyable'...?

Are you talking about the FRCS, the Dragon issues I mentioned, or the Perilous Gateways column I was talking about?.
Elfinblade Posted - 26 Jan 2004 : 10:51:23
ok, but lets stick to the pont here.. is it buyable?
The Sage Posted - 25 Jan 2004 : 14:41:43
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

What? I've never seen an FRCS copy with a poster map! Was this some limited edition, or have I been stiffed!

::growl:: Dragons don't like being stiffed. And this dragon likes his maps!

Yeah all FRCS releases (of which im aware of two) contained the poster map. The second release map was also smartened to to contain a border and FR logo.

Of which, I have a copy of each...

Elfinblade, I know it's not as good, but the four issues of Dragon Magazine that offered a four-part poster map of the Realms may still be easy to purchase, or at least available somewhere on the internet (to buy of course). I can't remember the issues numbers though - Faraer will probably have those.

Other than that, you may try the Perilous Gateways column on the FR site. Those article always have small maps of the many different regions on the Realms, taken directly from the FRCS, and it's accompanying poster map.
Bookwyrm Posted - 25 Jan 2004 : 12:29:52
::GROWL::

Excuse me. I need to disintegrate something . . . .
Lord Rad Posted - 25 Jan 2004 : 10:25:11
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

What? I've never seen an FRCS copy with a poster map! Was this some limited edition, or have I been stiffed!

Yeah all FRCS releases (of which im aware of two) contained the poster map. The second release map was also smartened to to contain a border and FR logo.
Bookwyrm Posted - 25 Jan 2004 : 07:52:56

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000