Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 FRPG 4ed - Now with more Crunch

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ranak Posted - 14 Sep 2008 : 06:21:50
Just picked up the FR Players Guide 4ed at my local Borders. LOTS of crunch.

Purple skinned Genasai with lightening cracking over their skin - Cool! (Please read that with sarcasm)

Aside from tons of Paragon paths and feats, there are a few Realms specific rituals and 50 pages of "backgrounds" information that duplicates a lot of the information in the Campaign Guide on the various regions.

Strangely, after killing off all of the Chosen, they included "Chosen" as an Epic Destiny.

Genasai and Warlocks seem to be favored, Warlocks even pop up on Evermeet

Paragon Paths:

Anarch of Shyr
Coronal Guard
Darkwalkner
Doomguide
Drow Wanderer
Eartheart Defender
Elemental Tempest
Evermeet Warlock
Ghost of Eventide
Heartwarder
High Forest Scout
Impilturan Demon Demonslayer
Morninglord
Purple Dragon Knight
Silverstar
Simbarch of Aglarond
Spellguard Wizard
Spellscarred Savant
Steelsky Liberator
Sword Coast Corsair
Umbriri
Wandering Swordmage
War Wizard of Cormyr
Whirlwind Genasai
Wildfire Genasai

This book is a complete waste of money for Realms lore, but if you want greater choices for your character's "powers" then this is a great expansion.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kiaransalyn Posted - 19 Aug 2009 : 09:13:55
quote:
Originally posted by Ranak

They switched to a thinner paper, even though it is the same 160 page length as some 3E books, it feels and looks incredibly thin.

Damn! So you can't even use it as emergency toilet paper.
Brimstone Posted - 19 Aug 2009 : 03:34:04
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

So since the last post, EytanBernstein said that the Bladesinger will be out soon for 4e. Well, we've already had our Arcane Powers book come out and there won't be another one til 2010. So what gives?

As a side note, in the Monster Manual 2, there is an eladrin bladesinger featured so I hope that wasn't what he was mentioning.

Diffan, you may want to ask Eytan on this scroll.
Diffan Posted - 19 Aug 2009 : 03:13:08
So since the last post, EytanBernstein said that the Bladesinger will be out soon for 4e. Well, we've already had our Arcane Powers book come out and there won't be another one til 2010. So what gives?

As a side note, in the Monster Manual 2, there is an eladrin bladesinger featured so I hope that wasn't what he was mentioning.

Alisttair Posted - 30 Sep 2008 : 11:32:56
It's the new "Coke"
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 29 Sep 2008 : 23:55:43
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Which -- kits or PrCs?

Both, I think. But that's just how I see it. Just to be clear, I was using the term "equivalent" loosely, if that makes any sense.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 29 Sep 2008 : 02:56:46
I'd say that it's closer to a kit than a prestige class.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Sep 2008 : 00:15:07
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

PPs are not PrCs...

Have I ever mentioned here how much I LOVE the term "PP"?

Anyway, it's true that PPs (*snicker*!) and EDs aren't technically classes, but they kind of act as a 4E equivalent of the old prestige classes (and kits, for that matter).

Which -- kits or PrCs? Kits were essentially bolt-ons, while PrCs were actual class variants.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 28 Sep 2008 : 23:11:03
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

PPs are not PrCs...

Have I ever mentioned here how much I LOVE the term "PP"?

Anyway, it's true that PPs (*snicker*!) and EDs aren't technically classes, but they kind of act as a 4E equivalent of the old prestige classes (and kits, for that matter).
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 26 Sep 2008 : 23:48:09
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

[quote]
On a sidenote, regarding the new Paragon Paths a.k.a. "prestige classes" ... are those 6 things and the name all that you get along the 10 levels then? HD/level based normal stuff aside?

We're mainly using them as role-playing concepts. But in terms of stats and powers and so on, I guess. Of course, in 4E, everything's kind of interconnected so you can't necessarily predict how different powers and feats and so on are going to interact with one another unless you sit down to do "builds" or whatever (which isn't really my groups cuppa). So I suppose it's possible there's more than meets the eye in terms of what "you get" when you choose a Paragon Path.

Skeptic Posted - 26 Sep 2008 : 23:34:14
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan
On a sidenote, regarding the new Paragon Paths a.k.a. "prestige classes" ... are those 6 things and the name all that you get along the 10 levels then? HD/level based normal stuff aside?

PPs are not PrCs, there are add-ons, not class replacement.

Same goes for Epic Destinies.

Zanan Posted - 26 Sep 2008 : 23:08:12
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

There will be a bladesinger soon enough. I promise :)

Oh yes. All that was needed! Another go at the old D&D Elven Fighter/Mage concept. One swordmage is not enough ... given that loads of other stuff will remain uncovered. Of course, they'd done that to death with classes and prestige classes in 3E, no wonder it will be done in 4E too.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Sep 2008 : 05:08:25
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:
Paragon Paths:

Silverstar

Is this a class for the tel'Teukiira? Silverstar is an alternate name for their group, so I wondered.....

Steven

Unfortunately no. These are followers of Selūne.

And it's a name that dates back at least as far as early 3E material. One of my Lords of Waterdeep (Terielle Nashirn, the werecat thief-turned-priestess of Selūne, covered in the Candlekeep Compendium, Volume V) is a member of this PrC. As I recall, it appeared in Dragon first, and then in the PGtF.
The Sage Posted - 20 Sep 2008 : 01:46:55
quote:
Originally posted by Pandora

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Iliphar1

I had a look at the 4th edition CS.
After reading it, it convinced me not to change to 4th edition. That is just ridiculous, what has happened with the realms???

Can anybody explain me, what they are doing to my beloved realms???

I would suggest you perform a search of Candlekeep for scrolls specifically dedicated to elaborate 4e FR chatter.

Off topic, but maybe a good suggestion: It might be worth to sum up the changes of:
a) 3e -> 4e and
b) 3e FR -> 4e FR and maybe even ...
c) 3e -> Pathfinder.
in one thread (each a separate topic) and stick that somewhere for easy referencing. Obviously the changes have been too big to describe in detail. This needs to be done by someone who has some experience in both systems and is able to describe it without judging it and obviously it needs to be locked to prevent it becoming yet another system discussion.

I have thought about this. But it's just finding the time to sit down and sift through all the various scrolls in an attempt to collect all the significant info. I don't have the time at the moment, unfortunately.
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 19 Sep 2008 : 22:20:54
quote:

Wow, that“s very good!!!

Thanks, Eytan!

Only one question? It“s Realms related, or Core related? (ok, in 4th Edition this don“t matter much, but I want to know, anyway)
Pandora Posted - 19 Sep 2008 : 18:58:59
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

After reading it, it convinced me not to change to 4th edition. That is just ridiculous, what has happened with the realms???

I would suggest you perform a search of Candlekeep for scrolls specifically dedicated to elaborate 4e FR chatter.

Off topic, but maybe a good suggestion: It might be worth to sum up the changes of:
a) 3e -> 4e and
b) 3e FR -> 4e FR and maybe even ...
c) 3e -> Pathfinder.
in one thread (each a separate topic) and stick that somewhere for easy referencing. Obviously the changes have been too big to describe in detail. This needs to be done by someone who has some experience in both systems and is able to describe it without judging it and obviously it needs to be locked to prevent it becoming yet another system discussion.
The Sage Posted - 19 Sep 2008 : 17:04:53
quote:

StarBog Posted - 19 Sep 2008 : 15:58:01
That would be a long, long story, Iliphar1, and probably one not worth dredging up again, for the sake of the sanity and tempers of most of us (including yourself). I'm sure there are plenty of relevant scolls here at Candlekeep that you can refight the great 4e battle over and over again if you so wish.
Iliphar1 Posted - 19 Sep 2008 : 15:34:00

Alisttair Posted - 18 Sep 2008 : 16:05:48
quote:

quote:

quote:

Is this tease of yours full of NDA???

I say no more :)

Tease
EytanBernstein Posted - 18 Sep 2008 : 15:30:20
quote:

quote:

I say no more :)
Alisttair Posted - 18 Sep 2008 : 15:25:00
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:
Paragon Paths:

Silverstar

Is this a class for the tel'Teukiira? Silverstar is an alternate name for their group, so I wondered.....

Steven

Unfortunately no. These are followers of Selūne.
Steven Schend Posted - 18 Sep 2008 : 14:34:30
quote:
Paragon Paths:

Silverstar

Steven
Alisttair Posted - 18 Sep 2008 : 14:09:48
On topic of the book being all crunch, I think that was a good move in that by having most of the fluff in one book and one book all crunch, those who just want the fluff need not buy the Crunch book (and thus can't complain as much as if say the FRCG comprised of everything in both books and held all those pages)....its some nice crunch though...Cap'n Crunch
Alisttair Posted - 18 Sep 2008 : 14:06:48
quote:

Christopher_Rowe Posted - 17 Sep 2008 : 18:19:31
My copy just showed up!
EytanBernstein Posted - 17 Sep 2008 : 18:16:06
Ranak Posted - 17 Sep 2008 : 18:14:11
Bladesinger is absent all together in 4e - as it stands now there are no official rules for it.

If you want an official Bladesinger paragon path for the Swordmage, I would lobby for a DnD Insider article on the subject.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'm certainly no expert on the 4e rules, but going by what Rich has said - that the Swordmage was developed from Bladesinger traditions - I don't see a whole lot being different between the two, except for the singing and that one needs to be an Elf.

I'm thinking it will be something along the lines of racial 'Substitution Levels', similar to what we got in some 3e splatbooks. Not that that is a bad thing - I'm a huge fan of sub.-levels.

So is the Bladesinger going to be a Full Class, a Paragon Path for Swordmage, or a multiclass type like Spellscarred (or even a new Aegis Feature of the Swordmage)???

Alisttair Posted - 17 Sep 2008 : 14:04:06
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'm certainly no expert on the 4e rules, but going by what Rich has said - that the Swordmage was developed from Bladesinger traditions - I don't see a whole lot being different between the two, except for the singing and that one needs to be an Elf.

I'm thinking it will be something along the lines of racial 'Substitution Levels', similar to what we got in some 3e splatbooks. Not that that is a bad thing - I'm a huge fan of sub.-levels.

So is the Bladesinger going to be a Full Class, a Paragon Path for Swordmage, or a multiclass type like Spellscarred (or even a new Aegis Feature of the Swordmage)???
Ranak Posted - 17 Sep 2008 : 06:14:17
Yes, I may have been overly critical of the almanac :-)

...but this would have been a lot better presented I think in the previous books.

quote:
Originally posted by scererar

quote:

The first 150 pages are full of white space, then they cram 10 different topics on the last two pages that have nothing to do with one another.

Are you talking about chapter 6, the Almanac? This is intended to be very brief summaries of basic facts. It would indeed be various topics that would not have anything to do with one another Additionally it is about 12 pages.

scererar Posted - 17 Sep 2008 : 04:58:44
quote:

The first 150 pages are full of white space, then they cram 10 different topics on the last two pages that have nothing to do with one another.

Are you talking about chapter 6, the Almanac? This is intended to be very brief summaries of basic facts. It would indeed be various topics that would not have anything to do with one another Additionally it is about 12 pages.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000