Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Players Guide to Faerun

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lord Rad Posted - 28 Jun 2003 : 19:29:09
I hear this is due to release in March 2004 and is to be a 192 page hardcover to contain updated D&D3.5 edition material much of what is contained in the first couple of chapters of the FRCS.

Hmmmmmmm, useful or not? Anyone else have any additional information or views? Obviously ill be buying it but as to its usefulness, im not sure.... id prefer it to be more fluffy than crunchy and be more first-person formatted, much like the old Players Guide to the Forgotten Realms product in places.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
zemd Posted - 10 Jul 2003 : 10:04:41
I'm really disapointed. I really thought it was a real player's handbook. It could also very useful for DMs. After all, it's always great to make unique NPCs (even if it's a VERY long job!)
Mournblade Posted - 02 Jul 2003 : 18:27:02
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I like a healthy debate as well as the next guy, Mournblade. Don't let that pesky magic ring of yours stop you from telling me how wrong I am ...

-- George Krashos

Draws Sword of Bean counter slaying
George Krashos Posted - 02 Jul 2003 : 05:16:23
I like a healthy debate as well as the next guy, Mournblade. Don't let that pesky magic ring of yours stop you from telling me how wrong I am ...

-- George Krashos
Bookwyrm Posted - 01 Jul 2003 : 23:19:21
Bookwyrm, standing next to Mournblade, feels some of the effects of his ring's magical field, at least enough not to chime in and fill up this scroll with things that have already been said. Instead, he simply nods to Mr. Krashos
branmakmuffin Posted - 01 Jul 2003 : 23:03:59
George Krashos:
quote:
<snip> But then again, how can we say no to more and updated prestige classes .....

Indeed, the meat of any good D&D game.
Mournblade Posted - 01 Jul 2003 : 21:51:06
Mournblade is kept in check by his ring of Rant Replulsion
George Krashos Posted - 01 Jul 2003 : 09:28:15
This product is a total misnomer. It won't be a "Player's Guide" at all. It's just going to update sepcific FR game mechanics to 3.5 and solidify the ties between the Epic Level handbook (which I never intend to purchase) and the FR world.

One of the reasons put forward as to why FR products have benn lore-light and game mechanics-heavy in 3E is that DMs want lore, players want game stuff. As players usually outnumber DMs, then sales suffer. My feel is that if they want to cater to FR players they should provide a sourcebook which will indeed enhance playing a character in the Realms. A book that talks about customs, languages, dress, laws, codes of behaviour, organisations to join (other than the big power players in the Realms - I'm thinking stuff for caravan guards, out and out adventurers, merchant cabals, etc.), means of travel, etc. etc. In other words, something a player would buy to make his warrior born in Innarlith, different from the warrior he played last game who happened to hail from Hommlet. But then again, how can we say no to more and updated prestige classes .....

-- George Krashos
The Sage Posted - 29 Jun 2003 : 13:35:07
I think you'll probably find that a lot of the scribes opinions expressed in this scroll will be towards more fluff than crunch. The 2e Player's Guide to the Forgotten Realms was one of the best introductory modules for the setting, and the fact that it was first-person was also fun. But given the tendancy that most of the 3e FR material is mostly based more on crunch, I can't see this tome being that much different.

As you say, I will probably purchase a copy myself, but as to it's usefulness, well, I will probably use a wait-and-see approach, determining the overall effectiveness of the revision and how I am going to incorporate the changes into my campaigns. But that is just because like many here, I prefer more fluff, than crunch.

Here's a small take on the project by Richard Baker, along with some opinions of FR gamers.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000