Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Favorite Realms Product

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Artemas Entreri Posted - 19 Oct 2012 : 17:57:22
Hello scribes! What are your top 3 favorite Forgotten Realms products of all time? This can include: novels, game supplements, video/pc games, etc.

Mine would have to be the Forgotten Realms Atlas (Fonstead), the Forgotten Realms "Adventures" game supplement, and of course the Old Gray Box.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
chibi_grazzt Posted - 28 Jan 2016 : 14:01:41
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
The Grand History of the Realms
Faiths and Pantheons

Khaelieth Posted - 06 Dec 2015 : 11:13:57
FRCS 3rd edition
GHoftR
Baldur's Gate 2
Drustan Dwnhaedan Posted - 05 Dec 2015 : 18:11:30
1: Three-way tie between Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities
2: The Finder's Stone trilogy novels.
3: Another tie, between the Songs and Swords novels and The Seven Sisters sourcebook.
Gyor Posted - 12 Nov 2015 : 18:02:28
1 Can I count Faiths and Avatars, Powers and Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities as a single one.

2 3.5 campaign guide.

3 Grand History of the Realms

4 Evermeet
froglegg Posted - 06 Nov 2015 : 00:12:34
quote:
Originally posted by froglegg

Good question!

1. The Old Grey Box.
2. FR5 The Savage Frontier.
3. FR1 Waterdeep and the North.

That's my top three in order.

John

As you can see above I changed my mind.

John
froglegg Posted - 05 Nov 2015 : 23:59:05
For me.

1.The Old Grey Box.
2.FR5 The Savage Frontier.
3.FR6 Dreams of The Red Wizards.

All very good stuff!

John
The Madmage Posted - 30 Nov 2013 : 02:22:20
1) Grand History of the Realms
2) Faiths and Avatars
3) Cloak and Dagger (might have been #2 but I didn't like the Manshoon Wars).
SirUrza Posted - 19 Nov 2013 : 17:03:30
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I stopped keeping boxed sets in the boxes when I was a teenager because of my dad's second wife -- she was really down on D&D. I quickly discovered that a hardbound book with a plain brown wrapper, or stuff hidden inside a folder (like you'd use at school) would all escape her notice -- even when school was out!

Sadly I don't have the cards or the maps, so you're a few steps ahead of me. :)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Nov 2013 : 19:17:07
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

my favorite is simple - the first Undermountain boxed set, which is what originally got me to switch from GH to FR.

Yes, great fun. This is one of the box sets I've not gotten my hands on. I've bought the books individually but haven't seen the complete box in ages.

Because of the way things played out when I lost all my stuff in the fire, I do have the books from both Undermountain boxed sets -- and two complete sets of the maps and cardstock sheets. By chance, my collection of maps and cardstock sheets was in a different location than the books, so the books went up in smoke, and the maps and such were safe elsewhere.

I stopped keeping boxed sets in the boxes when I was a teenager because of my dad's second wife -- she was really down on D&D. I quickly discovered that a hardbound book with a plain brown wrapper, or stuff hidden inside a folder (like you'd use at school) would all escape her notice -- even when school was out!
SirUrza Posted - 18 Nov 2013 : 19:00:02
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

my favorite is simple - the first Undermountain boxed set, which is what originally got me to switch from GH to FR.

Yes, great fun. This is one of the box sets I've not gotten my hands on. I've bought the books individually but haven't seen the complete box in ages.
The Masked Mage Posted - 18 Nov 2013 : 06:46:59
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Nov 2013 : 17:32:51
My all-time fave Realms products:

Volo's Guide to Waterdeep
Volo's Guide to All Things Magical
Forgotten Realms Adventures
Cloak & Dagger
and the divine trilogy of Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities.

The 1E and 2E FRCS boxes rank up there, too, as does the City of Splendors boxed set and Ruins of Undermountain.
SirUrza Posted - 15 Nov 2013 : 16:58:56
Forgotten Realms Campaign Box
The North
Forgotten Realms Adventures
Alaundo Posted - 15 Nov 2013 : 09:20:24
Well met

Hmmm, this is a tough one. Some are very well thumbed and have very profound impacts. If I had to narrow it to three, which is no easy feat, i'd choose (in no particular order):

Volo's Guide to Waterdeep
FR Campaign Box (2nd edition)
The North (box set)
Forgotten Realms Atlas
Silver Marches
Lost Empires of Faerūn

That's three, right?
froglegg Posted - 15 Nov 2013 : 00:23:15
Good question!

1. The Old Grey Box.
2. FR5 The Savage Frontier.
3. FR1 Waterdeep and the North.

That's my top three in order.

John
Sylrae Posted - 04 Jun 2013 : 06:39:57
Hmm.

Many of the things listed were fantastic books. This is difficult.

1 - FRCS 3e.
2 - Realms Atlas Software.
3 - Waterdeep - City of Splendors 3e.

Honorable Mentions: Magic of Faerun, Races of Faerun, 2e Waterdeep Set, Elves of Cormanthor, Underdark, Drow of the Underdark, Menzoberranzan 4e, Menzoberranzan 2e.
Captain Grafalcon Posted - 31 May 2013 : 15:34:37
Your choices are the same for me rangerstranger, but the Forgotten Realms Atlas software is fantastic too.
rangerstranger Posted - 31 May 2013 : 13:42:54
1. Baldur's Gate Trilogy
2. The Ruins of Zhentil Keep Box
3. Forgotten Realms Adventures book

Also the Volo's guide series are really close here
Plaguescarred Posted - 17 May 2013 : 04:14:03
Gold & Glory is also one of my favorite FR supplement. Love Power Groups!
Plaguescarred Posted - 12 May 2013 : 06:21:08
The North and Cloak & Daggers too. Love these!
Renin Posted - 11 May 2013 : 15:39:36
Just to chime in:

'Ruins of Myth Drannor', 'Elves of Evermeet', 'Cormanthyr', and 'Faiths & Avatars'.

)(Yup, elves are my favorite race, stemming from reading 'Sword of Shannara at a young age, and I love the huge, sprawling chaotic viewing of the pantheon of the Realms.)
Ze Posted - 11 May 2013 : 12:12:07
#1 - Cloak & Dagger. Just wow.
#2 - FRCS 3e - although a lot had to be left out, that was a great job putting it all together.
#3 - the City of Splendors boxed set (although I am convinced that if Eric Boyd had not been hindered by the page count, the 3e Waterdeep:CoS could have been at least at the same level as the 2e boxed set).
Plaguescarred Posted - 11 May 2013 : 03:21:34
I always liked the Volos guides andf they are among my favorite Realmsbooks.
Arivia Posted - 20 Mar 2013 : 22:11:02
For supplements? Magic of Faerun and Silver Marches. As someone pretty new to the Realms with 3e, those supplements really sold me on the setting as something amazing and new I had to get into.

Death of the Dragon is probably my favourite novel, just as amazing too.
Kno Posted - 20 Mar 2013 : 13:06:23
Between Forgotten Realms Atlas and Realmspace
NetDiver Posted - 19 Mar 2013 : 18:44:09
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

I would definitely recommend someone READ this series versus listening to it. I lost count of how many times I stopped mid-paragraph to piece something together. This would be a little more difficult while driving and messing with your car stereo.

I'll second this. But then again, I prefer reading books. Steven Erikson unfolds the story of the Malazan Empire and his world little by little. He also demands a bit more from his readers than your average fantasy writer as the cast is huge and Erikson isn't afraid to kill off notable characters in the story. Erikson's story reads a bit like a mix of Glen Cook's Chronicles of the Black Company and George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. While Malazan Empire books aren't exactly Realms related, there's a lot of inspiration and story ideas to be had from this series.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 18 Mar 2013 : 22:18:31
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

I've listened to "Gardens of the Moon" (the first book) and I found it..well, it was all right I guess but nothing awesome. These books really demand your complete attention so I find them best to read. They are kind of hard to explain, but I'd rather listen to this amazing and amazingly complex series than not having experienced it at all :)

I would definitely recommend someone READ this series versus listening to it. I lost count of how many times I stopped mid-paragraph to piece something together. This would be a little more difficult while driving and messing with your car stereo.
Caladan Brood Posted - 18 Mar 2013 : 21:44:40
I've listened to "Gardens of the Moon" (the first book) and I found it..well, it was all right I guess but nothing awesome. These books really demand your complete attention so I find them best to read. They are kind of hard to explain, but I'd rather listen to this amazing and amazingly complex series than not having experienced it at all :)
9thChapter Posted - 18 Mar 2013 : 18:26:34
Is the Malazan series worth the listen on audiobook too? Might supplement the thickness in page flipping with commute time audio.
NetDiver Posted - 18 Mar 2013 : 18:21:24
Well I've only dipped my hands in the Forgotten Realms lore only with 3rd edition books, so I'm going to say the Underdark for 3rd edition in the first place. In my mind the most interesting piece of Forgotten Realms. So vast and rich spinner of adventure ideas that you could easily run entire campaigns down there.

At second place, Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting also for 3rd edition. Very comprehensive and one of the best "setting guides" I read. Full of information and gives you tons of ideas.

For the third place, I would say Lost Empires of Faerūn even if I haven't read it fully. For the feel of history it evokes.

I did play and DM AD&D 2nd edition but never got around to actually play or get anything from Forgotten Realms. The setting didn't interest me at the time, mostly because I was quite young. Bashing orcs, goblins, kobolts and looting their stuff was enough for me at the time Luckily older Realms material is coming more readily available through digital downloads

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000