Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Ed Greenwood from Greenwood's Grotto

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
questing gm Posted - 05 Nov 2023 : 14:05:37
Since starting up his own Discord server (https://discord.onl/greenwoods-grotto/), Ed Greenwood has been answering Realms-related questions in the #q4ed channel. Although it's free to join the Discord and view his answers, but I believe it requires a subscription to Ed's Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/EdGreenwood) to be given access to ask him questions there.

So since his answers are free to view by anyone on his Discord and for the benefit of those who are not on Discord, I'm starting and updating my compilation of his answers in this scroll. I'll leave it to the wisdom of moderating scribes if anything should be changed or removed.

I won't be able to put down everything (I already have 300+ answered questions to put down), so consider updates here will be intermittent, and will take a while before it catches up to the latest questions answered. (Or just join the Discord if you want the latest )

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 20 Sep 2024 : 17:08:55
quote:
Originally posted by questing gm

On Illithid tadpole implanted inside a Phaerimm

Melody — 09/17/2024 3:47 AM

@Ed Greenwood What happens if an Illithid tadpole is implanted inside a Phaerimm?

Ed Greenwood — 09/17/2024 3:58 AM

A new monster, that I'll have a Realms video about some time early in 2025, I hope!

If you stuff and chicken into a duck and stuff that into a young tender phaerimm, and then bake it in an oven, its a new dish called a Phaerducken.

BEWARE: Eating Phaerducken has been known to result in sudden death in a variety of explosive, implosive, and disintegratory methods.
questing gm Posted - 19 Sep 2024 : 02:45:58
On the Qartan Hills on the Almraiven Peninsula

Juniper Churlgo — 09/04/2024 12:27 AM

Question for Ed and Steven: Lands of Intrigue - the Qartan Hills on the Almraiven Peninsula - never on any of the maps and literally no info on where they are. Help placing them on a map?

<https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1072136642162343986/1280564915626840084/1000.png?ex=66ec5103&is=66eaff83&hm=92b6f9249de62af87f590a988190c30740dc69557e645eabd0529e004483c501&>

Ed Greenwood — 09/17/2024 1:25 PM

Sure. The Qartan Hills are a north-south line (not a clump) of low hills that begin in the forest just south of the monastery of St. Alban and curve southeast, emerging from the southeasternmost tip of the forest to form the eastern boundary of the Spider Swamp. They pass west of Almraiven, the trade-road cleaving them with no trouble at all, to end at their southernmost reach at a point that would be midway along a diagonal line drawn on the maps between the seminary of St. Ihrvyn and Almraiven.
questing gm Posted - 19 Sep 2024 : 02:25:52
On the avowed of Candlekeep getting a stipend

Zonesylvania — 09/14/2024 5:12 AM

Dear Saer @Ed Greenwood ! do the avowed of Candlekeep get something like a small stipend of spending money besides room, board, and access to the texts based on their rank? I assume wizards and clerics also have access to the necessary materials for arcane research at need here, but I'm not sure if a stipend would contraindicate what it says about the Avowed not being permitted to hoard worldly possessions. Thankee very much!

Ed Greenwood — 09/17/2024 1:24 PM

No, the Avowed are monks largely sequestered from the outside world: they have nothing to spend money on! So, no stipend. If they’re sent forth to do something, Candlekeep gives them all the funds they need. And wizards and clerics only have access to tomes, chapbooks, scrolls, and other written records at Candlekeep if they pay the admittance price of a new tome for the collection, thanks to that price, the costs of the journey, the close supervision of the monks (so, no experimental spellcastings) and the fees charged for copying, plus the sheer daunting breadth of the collection so long searches may be necessary, it’s not where most such folk in the Realms would ever think of heading to do research.
questing gm Posted - 19 Sep 2024 : 02:21:00
On Illithid tadpole implanted inside a Phaerimm

Melody — 09/17/2024 3:47 AM

@Ed Greenwood What happens if an Illithid tadpole is implanted inside a Phaerimm?

Ed Greenwood — 09/17/2024 3:58 AM

A new monster, that I'll have a Realms video about some time early in 2025, I hope!
questing gm Posted - 15 Sep 2024 : 04:40:24
On kiira for entry into Candlekeep

Zonesylvania — 09/13/2024 5:04 AM

Dear Saer @Ed Greenwood ! would a kiira be an acceptable offering to the Avowed for entry into Candlekeep, provided of course it had information that they wanted?

Ed Greenwood — 09/13/2024 6:55 AM

Oh, yes indeed.
questing gm Posted - 15 Sep 2024 : 04:37:02
On humans becoming a patron for a devil

stormer454 — 09/09/2024 1:13 PM

Slightly odd question for sir @Ed Greenwood but can a human (possibly a player character) become a patron for a devil??? Rather than the usual "the other way around" that's normally seen?

Ed Greenwood — 09/13/2024 1:49 AM

Possible but highly unlikely. The human would have to have something to offer the devil, AND be willing to brave the dangers (of the devil just taking what it wants). The human needs to be Larloch level, or insane, or both. ;}
questing gm Posted - 14 Sep 2024 : 06:21:30
On recharging magic items

Genghis Sean — 09/12/2024 5:28 AM

Hello @Ed Greenwood , I hope you are doing well! How difficult is it to recharge magic items in the Realms? I see enchant an item is 6th level, takes days to cast, and has a chance of ruining the magic item; while dweomerflow is only 4th level, is cast relatively quickly, and has zero chance of ruining the item. Is dweomerflow significantly rarer to find or is it just that easy and risk free to recharge items? How much would a wizard charge to recharge an item?

Ed Greenwood — 09/12/2024 8:37 AM

Enchant an item is a difficult spell because it’s imbuing an item with magic for the first time (i.e. creating the capacity to store a spell and/or “hold” a dweomer). Dweomerflow is only for charging items, or transferring charges (siphoning from an item). Recharging is usually easier than charging for the first time. Dweomerflow is a much newer spell (there were centuries in the Realms when it didn’t exist yet, and so was unavailable). When it comes to recharging items, the demand has always outstripped the supply. Wizards and temples are busy. As for how much a wizard might charge, it depends. Like some real-world writers, the rate depends on who’s asking (friend? Family member? Someone the mage owes a debt or favour to? A rival, or someone they dislike?) and how much they want to do it.enjoy the work: some high prices are charged to discourage folk asking. However, a base of 100 gp/day of work, or per act of charging if it’s fast, plus the cost of the spells used as charges, should be a good base guide.
questing gm Posted - 14 Sep 2024 : 02:46:09
On Alaphondar Emmarask in his youth

Melody #127872; — 09/12/2024 5:11 AM

@Ed Greenwood What did Alaphondar Emmarask look like in his youth?

Ed Greenwood — 09/12/2024 8:18 AM

He was very thin, stood 6 feet tall, and had brown hair (and starting at age 17, a neatly-trimmed, pointed beard, but never a moustache). He dressed in garments of a single hue, mainly dark colours, and was quiet in his speech and subdued in his movements (not loud, extroverted, or flamboyant). He has always favoured soft-soled boots and shoes (slippers indoors).
questing gm Posted - 11 Sep 2024 : 03:17:04
On tears in the weave or decaying mythals affecting divine casters

Doc Webb — 08/29/2024 8:57 PM

@Ed Greenwood Hello sir! I hope you’re rested and recovered. When you have a moment, would you be willing to share your insight on whether tears in the weave or decaying mythals (like the tear by the Court of the White Bull in Waterdeep or the enlargement mythal by Wolfhill House in the Mere of Dead Men) affect divine casters, or just arcane? How about divine magic in an antimagic field/cone?

I’m a lore-first, mechanics-distant-second sort of person, so I don’t care about “class balance” in my game — I’d like to better reflect the magical and divine realities of your world.

Thanks so much!

Ed Greenwood — 09/09/2024 4:53 AM

Rifts and tears in the Weave, nodes of strength in the Weave due to the proximity of the Athora or something similar, decaying mythals, and yes, anti-magic fields all affect divine spells as well as arcane ones. Exactly HOW they affect a particular spell, spells, or combination of spells is an “it depends” situation. In other words, life is an ongoing experiment, and the DM will determine what happens on a case-by-case basis. Which can be affected by why and how the deity granted the spell, and its precise nature; if they were intending that this mortal be able to use this spell to get past this particular problem, it will work better than if a generic “flame strike” or whatever was granted.
questing gm Posted - 11 Sep 2024 : 03:11:03
On foundational document for Waterdeep

Dudeling — 08/29/2024 9:39 AM

Hey there @Ed Greenwood, does Waterdeep have any sort of foundational docunent, a constitution per se, or is everything contained in the code legal, or does everyone in government just have a general agreement enforced by force of personality?

Ed Greenwood — 09/09/2024 4:48 AM

Waterdeep has no written constitution, but it does have more than just the Code Legal: it has centuries of case law precedents, written down and indexed at the Palace so they can be looked up (relatively) quickly, and there are other written documents that establish Waterdeep’s authority: every tax bill, every building permit, every deed of ownership to property in the city, and every charter entered into between Waterdeep and a guild, a coster or other trading company, an adventuring band, and so on. Force of personality doesn’t go far, these days, because for every beloved Piergeiron, there’s a Dagult Neverember.
questing gm Posted - 10 Sep 2024 : 08:25:01
On anything left out from Ecology of the Beholder

George Krashos — 09/07/2024 1:05 PM

Hi Ed. Just doing some FR reminiscing and re-read your "Ecology of the Beholder" article from Dragon #76. I was wondering whether you can recall what Realmslore was stripped out of it for publication. I can't forgive Roger Moore for that one ... #128521;

Ed Greenwood — 09/08/2024 9:27 AM

No, I didn’t put any variants into that piece. What did get lost is a brief “you can use beholder spittle for this, tears for that, blood for that third thing” alchemy rundown, and then sixteen notorious active beholders, their approximate lair locations, and most importantly what their known schemes/aims/cabals were, and what their secret ones were.
questing gm Posted - 10 Sep 2024 : 08:18:08
On Cormyrean name that starts with Q

Jeremy Grenemyer — 09/06/2024 3:53 AM

Hello Ed from still-too-hot California. #129397;

Ed, my list of Cormyrean first names is large, but it doesn't contain a single name (male or female) that begins with the letter Q.

Might you know some Cormyrean names (even those no longer in regular/popular use) that begin with Q?

Thank you, as always. #128578;

Ed Greenwood — 09/08/2024 6:25 AM

Am rushing to the hospital to pick a lady up, so can't check my files for an hour or two, but: Qedron (pronounced "KED-ron" or "Kwedron" both correct) is by far the most popular male name, and Qara (again, "CAR-rah" or "Kwarr-rah both correct) the most popular female name.

Brian Cortijo — 09/08/2024 6:51 AM

Other Cormyrean Q - names: Qorluth, Qorn, and Quence for males, and Qemmethe, Qesmra, Quasryl, Quendara, Quessae, and Quilarra, for females (these from emails between Ed and Tom Costa many, many, many-moons ago).

Ed Greenwood — 09/08/2024 10:00 AM

Okay, in addition to those Brian has shared, here are ten more Q female names, and ten more Q male names:

Female:

Qaye (“Kaye”), Qelarra (“Kel-LAR-ah”), Qindra (“KIN-drah”), Qlarra (“Clarr-ah”), Qorla (“CORE-lah”), Qorra (“CORE-ah”), Queltress (pronounced both “Kweltress” and “Cooltress” both correct), Quethmra (“K-WETH-mrah”), Qyllara (“KILL-ah-rah,” and usually shortened to “Killah” in everyday speech), Qyzele (“KYE-zell”)

Male:

Qabran (“KAH-bran”), Qandor (“KONN-dor”), Qavran (“KAV-ran”), Qazast (“CAZZ-ast”), Qeldur (“KELL-durr”), Qeltarn (“KELL-tar”), Qelver (“KELL-vur”), Qinder (“KIN-dur”), Qorlath (“CORE=lath”), Qurvar (“CURR-var”)
questing gm Posted - 08 Sep 2024 : 05:21:27
On Volo meeting Myrmeen Lhal

Joe Chang — 09/04/2024 10:48 AM

Hi @Ed Greenwood have the Calishite expatriates Volo and Myrmeen Lhal ever crossed paths?

Ed Greenwood — 09/05/2024 2:29 AM

Oh, yes. And Volo survived. ;} Details later; that's a NDA-dodging story.
questing gm Posted - 08 Sep 2024 : 05:18:36
On schooling of youngsters in Waterdeep

Oakthorne — 08/29/2024 2:43 PM

Hey @Ed Greenwood - what does the schooling of youngsters look like in Waterdeep? I know that the nobility frequently employ tutors and send their scions off to "finishing" schools (usually more to socialize them with other nobles than actually learn), but what about other folk? Is there a presumed education required in the law, or more catch-as-catch-can?

Ed Greenwood — 09/04/2024 8:47 AM

Everyone tries to afford tutors (apprenticeships for "handwork"=trades, whose grandparents/aunts/uncles provide evening schooling), and if you're a guild member, you can afford tutors, but shared with the kids of fellow guild members, in small classes.
questing gm Posted - 25 Aug 2024 : 10:12:26
On names of two streets in Suzail

Juniper Churlgo — 08/21/2024 1:55 AM

do these two streets in Suzail have names?

<https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1072136642162343986/1275513674152284243/Screenshot_2024-08-20_at_1.53.51_PM_2.png?ex=66cc18ed&is=66cac76d&hm=e8d058b21e6dd6e941b11506666c66750ffc389cb3b97e84ae9c98465a99ffe8&>

Ed Greenwood — 08/22/2024 12:55 AM

Sure. Minstrels' Ride is the curving one, and Dunstan's Way is the straight one.
questing gm Posted - 25 Aug 2024 : 10:09:51
On Strahd visited Cormyr

Joe Chang — 08/20/2024 1:22 PM

Hi @Ed Greenwood , in your 2016 short story "Travel Talk: Ravenloft" , Volo, on hearing the name of Strahd von Zarovich, had this reaction:
quote:
I would ordinarily have thanked the fellow and assured him I would be delighted to accept the invitation, but some confused memory of hearing bad things about the name “Strahd,” long ago in a tavern in Suzail, made me say, “Oh, that Strahd! I would love to, but fear I findc myself in an urgently pressing hurry to be elsewhere

Has D&D's most infamous vampire visited Cormyr?

Ed Greenwood — 08/21/2024 1:33 AM

He has indeed. Marsember, Suzail, Athkatla, and Baldur's Gate, among other places.
questing gm Posted - 21 Aug 2024 : 04:58:11
On Bane's schemes involving Sembia, the ruins of Myth Drannor, or the Dalelands

Relaxo — 08/16/2024 1:11 AM

Dear @Ed Greenwood,

First, I want to thank you on behalf of myself and my DM for the incredible setting of the Forgotten Realms.

I have a question regarding the influence of Bane, the god of tyranny, in Sembia, Myth Drannor, and the Dales. As I plan to create character an orc barbarian follower of Bane, I’m particularly interested in any potential plot hooks or story elements that connect to his agenda in these regions.

What schemes or activities might Bane's followers be involved in within Sembia, the ruins of Myth Drannor, or the surrounding Dalelands? Any insights or ideas you could share would greatly help me develop a rich backstory for my character.

Ed Greenwood — 08/19/2024 4:26 AM

You’re very welcome! Realms forever!

Followers of Bane will always be trying to support candidates for local “strongman” (tyrant) rulers, especially “puppets” the clergy of Bane control (through magic, blackmail, or training and physical/financial support). So they could be working to further such ends in all of the Dales and in Sembia. The reverses and failures of recent centuries have taught followers of the Lord of Darkness the folly of backing just one local tyrant; they will typically work to advance three separate individuals, so if one falls or fails, another can serve Bane from a local seat of power instead.

In the ruins of Myth Drannor, followers of Bane will be trying just to stay alive, what with all the alert, ready-for-war elves rebuilding, and supported by on-site baelnorn. These elves have no love for non-elves of any sort, and unless they can prove themselves as allies (such as Harpers bringing needed supplies or requested intel) they will be attacked and slain or driven out.
questing gm Posted - 21 Aug 2024 : 04:51:53
On infernal/cosmic laws to sell someone else’s soul without their knowledge/consent

Spellslamzer — 08/16/2024 2:43 AM

Hello @Ed Greenwood. I noticed in Waterdeep Dragon Heist, the Cassalanters are trying to buy back their children’s souls from Asmodeus. But I’m curious as to how they were able to sell their children’s souls. What infernal/cosmic laws allow a person to sell someone else’s soul without their knowledge/consent? And under what circumstances is one able to sell another’s soul? Also, is such a contract still valid if a signatory, such as a young child, is unable to comprehend the terms of the contract, and how are the Cassalanters able to send their “innocent” sacrificial victims to the Hells without them signing a contract? Does the same also go for infernal weapons that send their victims to the Hells, like a narzugon’s or a fire hellion’s?

Ed Greenwood — 08/19/2024 4:18 AM

One of the laws enacted by Asmodeus since becoming ruler of the Hells enables parents to sell the souls of their children, infants and the yet unborn, to “Princes of the Nine Hells” (in practise, to the ruler of one of the Nine Hells, or their immediate family such as consorts and children).

Anyone who has had “sex capable of producing offspring” (i.e. intercourse, with or without impregnation) with another being is no longer a child whose soul can be sold by parents (or slavers deemed guardians, such as an orphan enslaved by a ruler of the Nine Hells); such “mature” individuals can only sell their own souls. This applies to children too young to actually bear or father children, so long as they can perform the sexual act, willingly or otherwise.

Trickery in obtaining a signed contract (and it must be signed in the blood, tears, or spittle of the soul-seller; twisting a verbal promise is NOT obtaining a contract) usually makes the contract invalid; the intent of the soul-seller at the time of signing (not later, when regret is usual) is paramount.

“Sending” souls (beings) to the Hells through sacrifice isn’t a matter of contracts, but is a matter of infernal powers being enacted on the victims thanks to magical preparations (i.e. the ritual of sacrifice being performed on an infernal talisman or “dark consecrated”/profaned altar or spot, or the enchantment on the infernal weapon). In such cases, there’s no binding and no contract, just a plane shift that can go awry (i.e. to the wrong planar destination, or an unintended locale in the Hells), or be disrupted by the right magical pre-preparations on the sacrifice, or protective items borne by the sacrifice, or disrupting third-party magic.
questing gm Posted - 21 Aug 2024 : 04:45:39
On gemstones associated with adamantite deposits

Zonesylvania — 08/16/2024 1:23 AM

Dear Saer @Ed Greenwood ! What gemstones, and in what quantity can be found associated with adamantite deposits? thankee!

Ed Greenwood — 08/19/2024 4:03 AM

Adamantite veins seldom have abundant gemstone lodes found with them, but in (and under) the southernwest reaches of Faerûn, “fists” and even caverns of garnets and spinels have recently been found, whereas in the northeast, moonstone and carnelians have recently been found along the edges of adamantite veins.
questing gm Posted - 21 Aug 2024 : 03:32:20
On renowned 15th century adventuring chefs

Juniper Churlgo — 08/17/2024 12:32 PM

Hey Ed. are there any renowned 15th century adventuring chefs in the realms?

Ed Greenwood — 08/19/2024 3:59 AM

Yes. The half-elf Maerend Skeldragon is a puckish, pretty, slender and agile blond explorer and sometime caravan and valuable-cargo guard who has been a member of the defunct Valade’s Shields adventuring band (out of Morvar) and the still-operating, on-again-off-again Telmark’s Stalwarts adventuring band, based in Suldolphor. Maerend has explored the Tashalar, Luiren, Estagund, Durpar, Var the Golden, Thommar, Ulgarth and a little of Chondath and of the Yehimal highlands and ranges east of Ulgarth—and along the way, cooked using the edible and herb-seasoning plants, flowers, and wildlife of the lands he was traveling through. His favourite supper of those he’s concocted is roast hraztam (“Ulgarth gopher”), which he stuffed with shallots, dulthunn (broadleaf local spinach), roast chestnuts, and his own concoction of seasonings.
questing gm Posted - 16 Aug 2024 : 12:04:19
On Thaldigar's Tower

Ir'revrykal — 08/12/2024 9:28 PM

Hello! Hope you are doing well, Ed. What is the canon status of Thaldigar's Tower?

Ed Greenwood — 08/14/2024 6:50 AM

Alive and well. If I write something, it's canon. ;}
questing gm Posted - 16 Aug 2024 : 12:01:30
On cancelled novels

FatherFantastix — 08/12/2024 3:03 PM

Hi @Ed Greenwood, do you think there is any chance fans of the Realms could get a peek of the cancelled novels now that WOTC no longer publishes? Reclamation, Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, Death Comes Easy, Rise of the Blade, Pride of the Lion, Neverwinter Nights, The Shores of Dusk, Murder at Ravens Bluff, perhaps you’d know who to ask or how to call a moot of the authors and publish an anthology? I feel like there could be kickstarter potential there!

Ed Greenwood — 08/14/2024 6:47 AM

Sorry, Hasbro owns the rights to all of those books, not the authors; when we write them, they're "work for hire." So we can't Kickstart them. Rise of the Blade was a fan novel, never a TSR or WotC book, Reclamation was never finished, Shores of Dusk was contractually torpedoed, Pride of the Lion was never written...sorry.
questing gm Posted - 14 Aug 2024 : 11:34:41
On the Minstrelwish clan

Joe Chang — 07/30/2024 3:01 PM

Patreon suggestion @Ed Greenwood : the most fascinating family could be the far-flung Minstrelwish clan. How did the Spellplague era affect them and what are they up to now?

Ed Greenwood — 08/12/2024 7:17 AM

Heh. Already on it! Expect a Minstrelwish video in the fullness of time. :}
questing gm Posted - 14 Aug 2024 : 10:58:32
On Ormpetarr in Sespech post Spellplague

cl0ro — 08/11/2024 9:40 PM

Hi @Ed Greenwood I've been interested in the lands far from the Sword Coast for a while now, particularly the Vilhon Reach and the city of Ormpetarr in Sespech. I was able to find very little about the current situation of the city after the Spellplague and I was curious to know if it is still inhabited or reduced to a pile of ruins.

How is it politically? What factions are there? Are there still any effects of the Spellplague? Is the Order of Blue Fire still present?

Ed Greenwood — 08/11/2024 10:00 PM

Ormpetarr is very much inhabited, with a population in late 1499 DR of over 48,000, mainly humans. It is a busy port and shipyards (specializing in cargo barges and small “river boats”), banking area, warehouse center for caravans, and a center for production of jams, jellies, pastes, and the turning of raw bolt textiles into garments.

A few ruins remain, blocks of rubble here and there in the city that are home to the poorest citizens, but most damage has been swept away long ago and new buildings erected. The Order of Blue Fire is still dominant in local politics as the balancing force that keeps rival powerful resident merchants (self-styled “barons”) from each other’s throats (they all sponsor gangs that clash often, and also have large forces of liveried employees conducting their business).

So Ormpetarr has no formal government, giving hired adventurers and mercenaries a lot of “keep order in the streets by the sword and threat” power, and no less than six residents who will all claim to be “THE Lord Baron of Ormpetarr.” Only three have enough power and influence that anyone beyond the ranks of those they directly pay would agree: Bantavvur Halath, a handsome and very wealthy textiles merchant who fancies himself a genius and irresistible lover who will “inevitably” rise to rule much of Toril; Mandor Marspur, a darkly handsome, sardonic and jaded swindler who deals in potions, poisons, wines, spirits, and perfumes, and heads a gang of sly and acrobatic local thieves, the Smiling Ones; and Thaela Thonturr, “the Bright Lady,” a charming and affable networker and rich investor who firmly believes a city is strong if many small business folk are profiting all at once, and tries to make them all business partners trading busily with each other.
questing gm Posted - 14 Aug 2024 : 10:54:20
On the hill east of the Dessarin River and Sumber Hills

Reedhalloran Duskfellow — 07/30/2024 8:12 AM

Dear Saer @Ed Greenwood, Does this hill east of the Dessarin River and Sumber Hills have a name and/or any lore associated with it? A new player has decided it is important to their character and I would love to integrate some original lore into their backstory if possible! Many thanks in advance.

<https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1072136642162343986/1267635824598581339/Screenshot_2024-07-29_at_5.09.53_PM.png?ex=66bd47dc&is=66bbf65c&hm=6a142632577e71024e3fbc6d37373eac5ae7802582c0ea5a474cddaa73cc1100&>

Ed Greenwood — 08/11/2024 9:37 PM

That "lone" hill has gone by many names over the years (the elves, dwarves, and just about everyone else has had a go at naming it, as "their own" landmark), but the most widely-known name now is Stag Head Tor. Old Sword Coast North legends say that a gigantic stag with HUGE antlers often stood atop it on bright moonlit nights, using it as a lookout to survey the lands around; inevitably, tales arose that the stag was a god, or “the Ghost Stag.” The hill has a rock core but sides of earth, and its very landmark status have made it attractive as a place to cache (bury) valuables, so there are also (many) treasure tales, including at least one “intelligent sword lies hidden here, awaiting the return of the one who buried it,” and may be able to emit a ghostly “spy,” adding to tales of the hill being haunted
questing gm Posted - 14 Aug 2024 : 10:20:55
On backstreet access to both the Font of Knowledge and the Hall of Justice

Doc Webb — 07/22/2024 11:26 PM

@Ed Greenwood Happy belated, sir! A quick Waterdhavian street name question, if I may: does this lane/alley have a name? It looks like it provides backstreet access to both the Font of Knowledge and the Hall of Justice, so we've nicknamed it "Truth's Cut", but I'd love to know if it has an actual name. It intersects with Bazaar Street at the same corner as Aka Way and has its western terminus on Swords Street cattycorner to Blackstaff Tower. I initially thought it was just the westward continuation of Bazaar Street, but I've since learned that Bazaar Street apparently wraps north at the west end of the Market until it ends at its intersection with Trader's Way. Any insight would be much appreciated, as our clerically-inclined party uses it fairly often while in the Deep. Thanks so much!

Edit: I just learned that Steven Schend has said that the Oghmanytes are petitioning the city to dub it "the Lore Walk"

<https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1072136642162343986/1264966798303039508/Screenshot_2024-07-22_at_10.52.55_AM.png?ex=66bccca2&is=66bb7b22&hm=537ab6a138f3ec8544f52f664fcafac964c6b77a8c5e8d7cd6be38a56fa0833f&>

Ed Greenwood — 08/11/2024 9:22 PM

Bazaar Street does indeed curve north at the west end of the Market, and the “mystery street” left unlabeled in the published maps is: Veltarn Street. However, to Waterdhavians old and young, it’s better known as “Just Wisdom Lane.”
questing gm Posted - 14 Aug 2024 : 10:14:14
On undead rust monsters

Melody — 08/10/2024 4:40 AM

@Ed Greenwood Are there such a thing as undead rust monsters? If so, do they differ significantly from their living counterparts?

Ed Greenwood — 08/10/2024 8:22 AM

Heh. There are indeed, and they were put into the game by Len Lakofka or Jim Ward YEARS ago. They become rotten, and over time innards mummify and wear or fall off, then hide, so they end up skeletal in a very "slow-motion" process. Their rusting abilities fade over time, and in A FEW cases change into other abilities (new attacks). I had some of them in Undermountain, but so much of my UM lore never made it into print (they were on lower levels).
questing gm Posted - 14 Aug 2024 : 10:06:53
On Eilistraee's focus post Second Sundering

Ninjanurse29 — 08/09/2024 7:25 AM

@Ed Greenwood prior to the Second Sundering, Eilistraee seemed most focused on female drow and limited male power and influence in her faith. However, post Second Sundering Eilistraee has gone all out gender and racial equality, and seemingly broadening her focus on non-drow races. Is there a reason for this? Has Eilistraee realized something that she didn't know before the Second Sundering?

Ed Greenwood — 08/10/2024 8:17 AM

Yes. Eilistraee has realized that the future safety and survival of the drow, at least on the surface, depends on their acceptance by other races, and daily working with other races (and this is also the only way, over time, to dilute the influence and power of Lolth over the drow). And through Qilué, Eilistraee was able to "see" and mind-read some "just plain folks" outside of Mystra and Azuth's influence (that is, outside of the Chosen), and see that attitudes could be changed, and that deep down halflings and humans and others felt and experienced and thought in the same ways that elves did, so drow were not as "apart" as Lolth always tried to make them. And when she found that mortals of other races were worshipping her, she felt a loving duty to "be there" for them, and that meant reaching out beyond drow. So she has. Much to Lolth's fury.
questing gm Posted - 14 Aug 2024 : 10:02:23
On ratio of common people

mournblade94 — 08/09/2024 4:19 AM

@ed Greenwood I'm wondering about the common people of the realms. Is there a ratio of common people with no class levels and no gift.

I tend to think adventurers are rare compared to the population at large.

Many thanks!

Ed Greenwood — 08/10/2024 8:09 AM

You're right. Adventurers as a profession are a small fraction of skilled folk who know they have a Gift and somehow develop it, and they in turn are a small fraction of those who have the Gift. Mystra has been working hard, using humanity mainly as the other races have their own deities she works with, down the generations so that the Gift (innate talent to work arcane magic) spreads, but those who have it are still a tiny part of the overall population, and many don't know they have a Gift. Some fear trying to do anything with it, many have a "wild talent" (they can do just one thing, and stick to it, and it may be minor or passive like knowing direction or time until sunrise or sunset, or sensing magic or poison...or they don't develop their talent at all until moments of great danger, grief, or anger when it explodes out of them, surprising them). I've answered this several times down the years, and during that time, the Realms has seen some major magical outbursts and events, but I'd still say we're looking at 6 percent of the pop at most that have a Gift, only 4 percent who have any inkling they have it, about 1 percent who do anything at all to use it or develop it, and less than half of that 1 percent "train up" or dare to go adventuring. (Unless you consider marching to war or working on a merchant caravan as adventuring.)
questing gm Posted - 14 Aug 2024 : 08:47:20
On paying a battlemage bodyguard

Savn — 08/03/2024 8:57 AM

@Ed Greenwood How much might a competant, and more importantly trusted battlemage bodyguard to a wealthy merchant, or noble be paid? Would it be in the form of coin, gifts, living expences, or a combination of all three? How well would someone like that live?

Ed Greenwood — 08/10/2024 7:47 AM

That varies widely with every employer and employee. Sane employers pay their bodyguards so well that they'll never be tempted to doublecross them/accept bribes to turn on them or leave them undefended "just for a juicy moment." How well they'll live depends on the wealth of the merchant, AND how much they want to "show off" that particular bodyguard. Living expenses/board/room are always covered, including a spending allowance (a "per diem" to us), but salaries and gifts vary. Cormyrean "house wizards" are paid staff, for instance, whereas a battlemage bodyguard in Westgate or Athkatla will be a highly paid "personal service" employee.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000