Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Cityscape review please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dargoth Posted - 04 Nov 2006 : 23:11:33

Apparently Cityscape is out in some stores and I was wondering if any scribes are going to rush out and buy it and if so I have a question

Would Cityscape add anything to a campaign using the 3ed City of Splendors or is just a "How to build a city for your campaign" type book

Thanks in advance
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Keravin Posted - 13 Nov 2006 : 13:50:55
I found it primarily is a build your own city book. I bought it for use in my Ptolus game and about a third of the book could find use there, but realistically the only thing I can guarantee use is a couple of feats (which in itself is unusual as I tend to avoid feats).
Kuje Posted - 10 Nov 2006 : 21:43:49
Cityworks and A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe
Reefy Posted - 10 Nov 2006 : 20:56:32
What third party books on the topic are there, and which would any scribes recommend?
Kuje Posted - 10 Nov 2006 : 00:33:17
quote:
Originally posted by Kalin Agrivar

I'v only seen the table of contents, it looked ok...

how is it in comparison to the other "terrain" books, Frostburn, Stormwrack and Sandstorm?

Myself, I'd get more use out of the terrain books then I would out of this book.
Kuje Posted - 10 Nov 2006 : 00:32:32
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

It doesnt seem to be getting very good reviews from those who have it at enworld and over at WOTC.......

I grabbed my copy today and well, after browsing through it, I thought it could have been a bit better. However, combined with the 3rd party city books, not counting Monte's city, but books on city info and how to run cities, it compliments them.

What do you think about my original question

"Would Cityscape add anything to a campaign using the 3ed City of Splendors or is just a "How to build a city for your campaign" type book?"

I'd say it's useful for both but there's some parts that seem lacking, which 3rd party books cover in better detail. I'd like to see more details on tax collection, better details on the different humanoid districts, etc. I'd have preferred that the 20 pages of feats/spells/etc was cut down and used for something else or the page count could have been increased because there are a lot of sections that could have been expanded.
Dargoth Posted - 10 Nov 2006 : 00:25:32
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

It doesnt seem to be getting very good reviews from those who have it at enworld and over at WOTC.......

I grabbed my copy today and well, after browsing through it, I thought it could have been a bit better. However, combined with the 3rd party city books, not counting Monte's city, but books on city info and how to run cities, it compliments them.

What do you think about my original question

"Would Cityscape add anything to a campaign using the 3ed City of Splendors or is just a "How to build a city for your campaign" type book?"
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 10 Nov 2006 : 00:17:23
I'v only seen the table of contents, it looked ok...

how is it in comparison to the other "terrain" books, Frostburn, Stormwrack and Sandstorm?
Kuje Posted - 10 Nov 2006 : 00:02:24
quote:

Dargoth Posted - 09 Nov 2006 : 23:30:00
VonRaventheDaring Posted - 08 Nov 2006 : 16:05:14
I haven't seen it yet but i have to say i am interested in this book.
EytanBernstein Posted - 07 Nov 2006 : 21:07:07
quote:

Apparently Cityscape is out in some stores and I was wondering if any scribes are going to rush out and buy it and if so I have a question

Would Cityscape add anything to a campaign using the 3ed City of Splendors or is just a "How to build a city for your campaign" type book

Thanks in advance

I can't give a full review as that wouldn't be professional (and I don't have time), but I do believe that this book would be of significant use in the Realms. The designers did an excellent job with what I feel is an extremely difficult subject.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000