Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 30 Years of Dungeons & Dragons

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 22 May 2004 : 01:01:47
Wow! I just picked up the latest Dragon magazine - a special anniversary issue celebrating 30 Years of D&D...

Without further ado, let me comment what I think is the best issue Dragon has put out in years:

1. 16-page article, "A Retrospective of the Best Game in History," by Mat Smith. It takes us through the creation, development and evolution of the game from 1974 to 2004. Great stuff, loaded with insider information and comments from everyone that were once involved in the industry (including a sidebar from Ed on how the Realms were born).

2. Last page of the article highlighted above gives us a preview of a brand new "Basic Game" set that will be released in September. It will be a modern version of the 1983 Basic Set also known as the good old "Red Box." The set will include 16 fully painted miniatures, map tiles, character cards, dice, a "Quick-Start Rulebook", an "Adventure Book" and an "Expanded Rulebook." Other than the fact that this scares me to death that this is so soon after the release of 3.5 (could it be heralding the arrival of the 4th edition already?), the product looks promising...

3. The last page also gives us a preview of a 352-page collector's book that celebrates the history of D&D, with a foreword by VIN DIESEL!! The book will be filled with sidebars and anecdotes from a "wide variety of personalities and celebrities, including novelists, musicians, Hollywood writers, actors, and directors, and more." Now I can really hope that Vin might one day commit to a FR movie!

4. An article describing how to play any of the five types of metallic dragons. Not just a few rules thrown haphazardly: each type of Dragon has its own 20-level Core Class progression!! (i.e. you can now play a BrassDragon6/Bard4... )

5. An article detailing how to foster dragons, including a new "Dragon Cohort [General]" feat...

6. "New in Town", a fantastic FR short story by Richard Lee Byers set in Calaunt and starring [drumrolls...] an AVARIEL!!

7. Elminster's Guide to Realms by Ed takes us to "The Roaring Dragon House", a rowdy establishment located "a mile and a half outside Waterdeep." There you will discover the Realms' version of mud-wrestling!

8. More Eberron stuff, if you're into that... (skipped the section )

I recommend this issue...

PDK
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SiriusBlack Posted - 21 Aug 2004 : 19:42:19
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=3858560

oops, knew i forgot something.

I'm getting a page not found return on that link. No worries, I'll do a search on the site a bit later and see if I can find the clips. Thanks.
Bakra Posted - 21 Aug 2004 : 18:39:30
http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=3858560

oops, knew i forgot something.
SiriusBlack Posted - 20 Aug 2004 : 18:11:28
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

The NPR website also has a few audio clips too.

Do you have a link to the page with the audio clips?
Bakra Posted - 20 Aug 2004 : 17:58:03
The NPR website also has a few audio clips too.
SiriusBlack Posted - 19 Aug 2004 : 17:28:26
GamingReport has some news about the NPR show featuring D&D's anniversary.
SiriusBlack Posted - 09 Aug 2004 : 04:37:14
quote:
Originally posted by Talwyn

Any further news on that interview Sirius?

None that I've come across. If I find anything, I'll post it here.
Talwyn Posted - 09 Aug 2004 : 04:35:39
Any further news on that interview Sirius?
SiriusBlack Posted - 07 Aug 2004 : 13:45:25
quote:
Originally posted by Talwyn

That sounds like it'd be a good interview to tune into. I wonder if it will be streamed?

No idea if that will take place. Hopefully, if it does, ENWorld or another site will give a heads up.
Talwyn Posted - 07 Aug 2004 : 12:24:48
That sounds like it'd be a good interview to tune into. I wonder if it will be streamed?
SiriusBlack Posted - 05 Aug 2004 : 17:23:05
ENWorld has some news today regarding this anniversary

quote:

EN World member morgue reports that BBC Radio 4 has recorded a documentary on Dungeons & Dragons to mark the game’s 30th anniversary. The programme is to contain interviews with author China Mieville and Games Workshop co-founders Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson and is currently scheduled for broadcast on August 21st, 2004 at 3:30 pm GMT.

SiriusBlack Posted - 28 May 2004 : 18:21:36
Has anyone else read Mike Mearls' article,Kingdoms: The Ways Dragons Rule within this issue of Dragon Magazine?

I just finished reading it and found it very well written. I think it makes a fine companion piece to Draconomicon.
SiriusBlack Posted - 27 May 2004 : 18:15:55
quote:
Originally posted by Urlithani
I think it's really cool that Vin Diesel wrote the forward. I am gonna show it to my friends when I get the book and say, "Vin Diesel plays D&D too! Now do you understand just how COOL I am??"

For those interested, Sci Fi Wire has an article which discusses Diesel being a D&D fan.
SiriusBlack Posted - 24 May 2004 : 22:00:37
quote:
Originally posted by Lashan

I read a post or entry from someone involved with WOTC recently that said the average age of DnD players is in the 30's.

The editorial column for Dragon # 320 had Matthew Sernett stating "the age of the average D&D player is closer to thirty than thirteen."

quote:

They are trying to branch out into a younger audience to ensure DnD continues in the next generation. I think Vin Diesel is a good choice for yanking in cool factor with the kids.

I like Vin Diesel. However, it's going to take much more than a celebrity endorsing the game. The ADHD nature of society, especially the youth, would counter any celebrity endoresment.

quote:

I also think that this same source mentioned that Eberron is more geared towards the younger crowd. Could be wrong on the last part, though. Perhaps it was an editorial in Dungeon or Dragon magazine?

The same article states that Eberron introduces many new elements to the game. I'm very curious to see if this is more than just hype.
Lashan Posted - 24 May 2004 : 21:40:50
I read a post or entry from someone involved with WOTC recently that said the average age of DnD players is in the 30's. They are trying to branch out into a younger audience to ensure DnD continues in the next generation. I think Vin Diesel is a good choice for yanking in cool factor with the kids. I also think that this same source mentioned that Eberron is more geared towards the younger crowd. Could be wrong on the last part, though. Perhaps it was an editorial in Dungeon or Dragon magazine?
Capn Charlie Posted - 24 May 2004 : 06:31:29
quote:
Originally posted by Chyron
Well, I think Mr. Diesel is ok and all, but the whole concept of a planet populated by a species that can survive and propagate solely by eating themselves (until the occasional group of space refugees happens along) is a bit far fetched.

LIke I said, a very DnD feel.
Chyron Posted - 24 May 2004 : 05:40:58
quote:
Originally posted by Capn Charlie

Reefy, I suggest watching the movie Pitch Black. It is actually quite good, and has what I think is a very "dnd feel" to it.

Well, I think Mr. Diesel is ok and all, but the whole concept of a planet populated by a species that can survive and propagate solely by eating themselves (until the occasional group of space refugees happens along) is a bit far fetched.
quote:

I just wonder how many gamers are still in the closet...

I remember guys a bit like Mr. Diesel when I was in high school. But they were usually on the football team and preferred to harass and beat up gamers rather than join them for sessions.

By the way anyone know the full title and release date of the collectors book?
Capn Charlie Posted - 24 May 2004 : 05:05:52
Reefy, I suggest watching the movie Pitch Black. It is actually quite good, and has what I think is a very "dnd feel" to it.

I actually went running around telling all my buds that he "came out" on Conan O'Brian. Even started a thread about it over at wizards. Best part was his gaming group: Policemen, Bouncers, firemen.

Either he games with the village people, or he chucks his dice with some tough 'ol boys. I think something like that is great for breaking dnd out of the nerdly stereotypes we are mired in.

I just wonder how many gamers are still in the closet...
Darth KTrava Posted - 24 May 2004 : 01:37:15
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Im really looking forward to picking this issue up, and cant wait for the 30th Anniversary book too

I knew quite some time ago that Vin Diesel (aka Mark Vincent) was a big D&D gamer. I've always liked him anyway from Pitch Black, Fast and Furious, xXx and since finding out about his D&D roots, he ranks up there with the best of 'em

I've not seen any of his movies but I do think it's cool that he's publicly admitted to being a gamer. Which is way better than the 'coming out of the closet' yawners.....

The Sage Posted - 22 May 2004 : 15:13:34
I would have to agree .

I'm glad I've deleted my Wizards.com Message Boards account, there's nothing left for me over there.
Bookwyrm Posted - 22 May 2004 : 11:08:20
No indeed! Such people are quickly introduced to the business end of Alaundo's staff.
Capn Charlie Posted - 22 May 2004 : 11:00:12
More perverse than something from Ravenloft? Wow, if there is any better way to tell a guy he's a good dm, I can't think of it.

Seriously, I would love to see a section regarding mining all manner of non realms settings for usable material.

I have seen a lot of things, from some spells in Dark Sun to about 1 1/2 scads of those regional Greyhawk feats. I also distinctly remembering liking something from the Dragonlance setting book. I belive that the key to a living campaign setting is adaptability, and growth. There is nothing I can see but good for the Realms coming from converting some other settings' nicest things.

Only trouble I see is the copyright problems. Likely it will just be a matter of not posting, say a PrC, with changes, but just detailing the changes, and why. LIke not posting what the 10 level chart looks like, but just saying to replace the abilities at 3, 5, and 7th levels with abilitie's x, y, and z. Because they have a more realms feel.

Well, that and it will generate even more illogical hatred for the Realms among fans of whose material, we.. uhh, liberate. But then again I have gotten used to FR fans being second class citizens over at the WotC boards, and those small minded fools dare not come here, so it all seems good.
The Sage Posted - 22 May 2004 : 10:48:56
Oh... That sounds like a more perverse version of the Crystal Club from the Ravenloft setting.

I like it though . I'll post some of my ideas once the setting is released.
Capn Charlie Posted - 22 May 2004 : 10:36:40
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Besides, I already snagged the Shifter race for my game, and am likely going to convert more than a few of the "construction magic" stuff for use in poerhaps Thay or Halruaa, so it isn't all waste for me.

The 'Shifter' race was detailed in Dragon #317. I've started using them in a limited capacity for my FR campaigns, and as such, I would be interested to hear about your experiences with this race.

Perhaps once Eberron is released, I'll create a scroll where players and DMs can address certain issues from the new campaign and discuss how they fit them into their own FR games.

Well, I am using them in an extremely limited fashion. As in I saw them and said "this is just too cool to pass up, now wher can I sue it?" way.

It will likely end up being the results of third or fourth generation descendents of lycanthropes. So I am considering a remote village in the northern Nether Mountains, near the Moonwood and Cold wood.

I haven't decided whether said village will be a bunch of malar worshippers that will lure in travellers and then try to sacrifice/hunt them in a Malarite ritual in the night(and make for some seriously great and creepy fun!) in hopes of entreating Malar to elevate them to the status of true lycanthropes.

Or maybe a more benevolent place, that is essentially just heavily isolated and perhaps being persecuted by local settlers as being "were crieatures", and not fitr to live, despite their having been there for centuries.

Either way, I figure I can't go wrong. It all depends on whether it is teh bard's turn to shine, or the ranger's. But hten again I will likely err on the side of creepy and do both. Imagine the horror of the pcs as the people they protected decide to invoke some rite to give them all "the gift", in thanks.
The Sage Posted - 22 May 2004 : 10:16:53
quote:
Besides, I already snagged the Shifter race for my game, and am likely going to convert more than a few of the "construction magic" stuff for use in poerhaps Thay or Halruaa, so it isn't all waste for me.

The 'Shifter' race was detailed in Dragon #317. I've started using them in a limited capacity for my FR campaigns, and as such, I would be interested to hear about your experiences with this race.

Perhaps once Eberron is released, I'll create a scroll where players and DMs can address certain issues from the new campaign and discuss how they fit them into their own FR games.
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 22 May 2004 : 10:14:43
quote:

So why does Vin Diesel get a foreword in a collectors book for D&D!?!
Marketing reasons. Get an cool outsider to comment on how cool D&D is: not someone working in the industry that has devoted all of his/her life to the game... (can you say biased?)

Anyway, I'm REALLY glad Vin Diesel is doing this. He's not my favorite actor (Robin Williams, Sir Ian McKellen and Patrick Stuart are all at a close tie for this honor -- if X-Men 3 would hire Robin Williams, I would have my dream movie... ), but Vin Diesel has a wide appeal and has a long career ahead of him. Giving him the foreword of the retrospect book and implicating him in the industry like this could, little by little, have a suggestion or charm effect on the actor, who would then perhaps talk to some influent people on doing a D&D movie...

I'd love to see him as a FighterX/DivineChampionX of the Red Knight... a military commander of some sort, something dignified. Not some gladiator or rogue-like persona... and he MUST wield a Greatsword for sure!
Lord Rad Posted - 22 May 2004 : 10:09:29
Im really looking forward to picking this issue up, and cant wait for the 30th Anniversary book too

I knew quite some time ago that Vin Diesel (aka Mark Vincent) was a big D&D gamer. I've always liked him anyway from Pitch Black, Fast and Furious, xXx and since finding out about his D&D roots, he ranks up there with the best of 'em
Urlithani Posted - 22 May 2004 : 07:47:39
quote:
Guess they should have gotten Usher or Lindsay Lohan to write a forward as I think Vin is already dated.

Lindsay Lohan plays D&D? I...I...I have a new favorite actress!!!

I think it's really cool that Vin Diesel wrote the forward. I am gonna show it to my friends when I get the book and say, "Vin Diesel plays D&D too! Now do you understand just how COOL I am??"
Capn Charlie Posted - 22 May 2004 : 04:57:07
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack
What's this Eberron thing they are making such a fuss over in the magazine?

On the off chance that you are not joking, it is the latest Campaign Setting coming down the pipe. Looks new, different, and at least a little interesting. Some might claim it has too much "magitech" but such things amuse me, and this really seems different than what has come before to me.

My motto is "stealing is good, steal from whatever source that has anything that might enhance your game". THat and "beware the mouldy cheddar, it will be the end of all that is holy". But mostly the first one.
Dargoth Posted - 22 May 2004 : 04:41:17
quote:

So why does Vin Diesel get a foreword in a collectors book for D&D!?!

Personally I would have preferred Gygax, Greenwood, or the Hickmans who actually helped with the early development of the game rather than movie actor who is no more qualified to comment on it that anyone here on the boards. If they absolutely had to get someone from Hollywood, why not go for Peter Jackson or Sam Raimi or someone who has helped keep fantasy alive in entertainment?

My speculation

WOTC/HAsbro are trying to expand the D&D market as part of the 30 years of D&D campaign (they mentioned this at a Dinner covered by Gaming Report a couple of Months ago) anyway I suspect they used Vin Diesel because hes not your sterotypical D&D gamer.
The Hooded One Posted - 22 May 2004 : 04:28:56
I asked Ed if he had any involvement with the retrospective book, and he did the little whistling tune he does that means: "Ask me not, for I can tell you nothing..."
So, my guess is that he DOES have some small involvement with the book. Maybe just a mention, maybe a sidebar like in the DRAGON issue. I can't see him having TIME to do anything more.
THO

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000