Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 A new comic series

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Apr 2010 : 00:07:49
The full article is at the link below, but the relevant part is quoted here.

C2E2: IDW Announces "Dungeons & Dragons" Series

quote:
IDW Publishing, under license from Hasbro, Inc. and Wizards of the Coast, will launch several all-new comic book series based on the many worlds of the hugely popular roleplaying game, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS. Following IDW’s previously established comics model, the first new series will begin with an introductory debut issue in August 2010, with new monthly comics and deluxe reprints of past series launching in November.

IDW’s Dungeons & Dragons series will each offer new stories and playable characters to existing game campaigns. The Dungeons & Dragons title will take place in the core world, as seen in the gaming supplements and upcoming novels, followed by a Dark Sun series starting in January 2011. Plans also include a series for the longtime fan-favorite Forgotten Realms setting. Each comic book will also be collected at intervals into graphic novels. The many planned projects will be distributed to a wide audience through comic book outlets, trade bookstores and mass retailers.

”We are delighted to partner with IDW,” said Liz Schuh, Brand Director for Dungeons & Dragons. “Together, we will bring great D&D stories to our fans, told through IDW’s high quality comics.”

IDW Publishing and Wizards of the Coast will work closely together to offer another layer of experience for Dungeons & Dragons. Acclaimed fantasy painter Wayne Reynolds will supply covers for the launch of the new series. Specific creative teams and information about each new series will be forthcoming.

“We are excited to expand our relationship with Hasbro and bring DUNGEONS & DRAGONS to comics,” said IDW CEO, Ted Adams. “Hasbro is a great company to work with, and we value our unique partnership with them.”

10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Halidan Posted - 21 Apr 2010 : 16:44:07
I've got the first two volumes of Forbidden Sands. It appears to me that they were taking the old Basic D&D module B4 - the Lost City and setting it in the Anauroch. In the second volume, the adventurers entered the "foreboding Cymidea Pyramids" - the same name for the lost civilization used in B4.

Personally, I liked the manga style used in the comic and was looking forard to the rest of the run. I suspect that slow sales and the expense of hard-back binding combined to kill the series.
The Sage Posted - 19 Apr 2010 : 11:43:23
I recall hearing about it during it's initial run. But at the time, my monthly comic subscription was kinda full... So I had to leave purchasing any issues until well after it went out of print.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Apr 2010 : 11:17:54
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

<snip> I'd still like to know what happened with the rest of Forbidden Sands of Anauroch (as in, why the rest of it never happened).

Weren't they printing each issue in hardback? That might account for the sudden demise of the book.

They were, but the price was still low.

Either way, there were 2 of 6 issues, and that was it. I never heard of or saw the comic until long after it was out of print, myself.
The Sage Posted - 19 Apr 2010 : 05:43:56
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

<snip> I'd still like to know what happened with the rest of Forbidden Sands of Anauroch (as in, why the rest of it never happened).

Weren't they printing each issue in hardback? That might account for the sudden demise of the book.

As I recall, that was never a definitive outcome. It kinda just fizzled out after that point.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 19 Apr 2010 : 05:42:15
quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Apr 2010 : 04:55:50
Upon reflection, I've decided that I will at least look into these comics. However, if there are too many 4E elements in them, then I'll pass. I really don't like the way genasi and tieflings were revamped, and seeing them in a story would really hamper it for me.

As for the FR-specific ones, I fear I won't be reading them -- I fully expect that these will be set in the 4E timeframe. If it's not set in that timeframe, I will most likely buy them.

I'm also a little cautious for the simple fact that the unions of D&D and comics don't seem to have the best longevity. Some of the original DC/TSR titles went a while, but all of them abruptly ended -- especially Spelljammer, which was finally getting into an interesting storyline. I'm not recalling the more recent Worlds of D&D title lasting all that long, either, and I'd still like to know what happened with the rest of Forbidden Sands of Anauroch (as in, why the rest of it never happened).
Brimstone Posted - 19 Apr 2010 : 03:46:45
Looks interesting. Will the FR ones be considered 4E Canon?
The Sage Posted - 19 Apr 2010 : 01:28:48
I'm really intrigued by those details about a DARK SUN series. Have to keep an eye out for that one.

And IDW have become such a terrific comics publisher these days, that I don't think this will be an easy one to avoid. I'm a particular fan of both their Transformers and Doctor Who series. So I expect about the same quality for these new D&D comics as well.
Tyranthraxus Posted - 19 Apr 2010 : 00:55:39
I really enjoyed the old AD&D/FR comics and the Drizzt graphic novels. I hope these are as good.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Apr 2010 : 00:10:25
I'm not sure how keen I am on this one... I've been out of comics for a long time, but it's also known that I loved the old DC/TSR comics, from back in the day. I'm concerned about the art and stories, because other than the DC/TSR stuff and Sojourn (gods, that one had some pretty art), a lot of fantasy comics I've read -- even some of the other ones WotC/TSR tried -- have been weak in the story and/or art departments.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000