Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Where to get out of print D&D books?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ardashir Posted - 26 Feb 2009 : 18:11:49
I hope this thread belongs here.

Anyone got any pointers on where to go and look for OOP D&D books? I just recently tried to get a copy of the Green Ronin book Aasimars & Tieflings through my usual bookstore, Borders, and was informed that there was one copy available for the low, low price of more than $200. I'd like to get a copy... but not that badly. I've seen similar prices in the past for Realms books, even recent ones.

Can anyone reading this give a fellow some help?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dalor Darden Posted - 25 Jul 2010 : 10:06:36
You all can reach me easily at: dalor_darden@yahoo.com

Thanks!
Thauramarth Posted - 25 Jul 2010 : 09:50:31
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

[Dalor Darden casts Rez Scroll]

Ok all, a horrible thing has happened.

My wife and I recently took custody of her sisters four children; bringing my happy home to a family of NINE. Counting the two live in Nanny's we have just hired, that brought my home to a whopping 11 people in the house...good thing I moved into this here 8 bedroom!

Anyway...horrible thing: The Nanny's damnable dog ATE into my D&D box in the garage before I had a chance to store it away safely...my 1st Edition Player's Handbook, Unearthed Arcana and (BIGGEST HORROR) original Cthullu Mythos Deities and Demi-Gods is now torn all to hell!

Yes...the little floppy eared son of a bitch is still alive...for now.

Sooo...do any of you have a copy of one of these books you would like to sell before I go on an internet search.

Dalor, I just moved house, and brought together (for the first time in more than six years) all my stuff, including my 1E and 2E stuff that I have not sold yet. I think (but am not certain) that I may have UA and PHB still in possession. I'll check (but first I need to figure out which of the 40 boxes they may or may not be in). I'll be in touch.
Jorkens Posted - 25 Jul 2010 : 08:04:54
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

My wife and I recently took custody of her sisters four children; bringing my happy home to a family of NINE. Counting the two live in Nanny's we have just hired, that brought my home to a whopping 11 people in the house...good thing I moved into this here 8 bedroom!

Anyway...horrible thing: The Nanny's damnable dog ATE into my D&D box in the garage before I had a chance to store it away safely...my 1st Edition Player's Handbook, Unearthed Arcana and (BIGGEST HORROR) original Cthullu Mythos Deities and Demi-Gods is now torn all to hell!

Sooo...do any of you have a copy of one of these books you would like to sell before I go on an internet search.

I suck at searching on the net...suck bad I might mention. I'm honestly just not that good at that sort of stuff. Computers in general are ok...I just lack the ability to interface with them.

More importantly, I know I'm not going to be able to replace the Deities and Demi-Gods...I just don't have the money for it...at least with the Cthullu included.

Any other copy would be good.

Thanks for any help...even pointing me in a good direction!

With distance and postage being what it is its not very practical for me to send you the couple of duplicates I own. But for finding things on the internet, go to Noble Knight Games. You might get lucky with the prices other places (I hate auctions so myself), but this shop has great customer service, the products are usually in even better shape than the add says and the selection is great.
Dalor Darden Posted - 25 Jul 2010 : 04:37:59

I suck at searching on the net...suck bad I might mention. I'm honestly just not that good at that sort of stuff. Computers in general are ok...I just lack the ability to interface with them.

More importantly, I know I'm not going to be able to replace the Deities and Demi-Gods...I just don't have the money for it...at least with the Cthullu included.

Any other copy would be good.

Thanks for any help...even pointing me in a good direction!
Ardashir Posted - 22 Aug 2009 : 17:51:34
quote:
Originally posted by freyar

Check out Green Ronin's 3rd Era line. It's a re-release of (I think) all GR's 3.x products in PDF with the d20 logo stuff removed. They have Aasimars & Tieflings for $10. IIRC, they also have a Lulu storefront for these books if you prefer hardcover (but I can't seem to find it). Might save you a little.

Thanks again for this link, if I forgot to say it before. Now that I have discovered prepaid debit cards, I can actually get some of these books...
Drew Posted - 05 Mar 2009 : 03:19:53
Half price books... I've found 1st ed stuff there
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Mar 2009 : 06:38:09
Okay, I think the topic of shipping to and from Canada has been adequately covered. We don't need any more comments that verge into political areas.
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 03 Mar 2009 : 04:05:41
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Shipping anything to or from Canada can be really slow... I can get stuff from New York or Maine in half of the time it takes to get something from Canada. I've received packages from a lot of places, and the ones from Canada were often the slowest.

Continuing the off-topic bit, it is quite slow to get something to Canada from the US, as well. Much of the time, it comes through quite quickly (and mail within Canada is quite fast), but other times it might not come at all. I honestly think it's more to do with customs than the post, though; it seems like all my Paizo shipments get delayed (one Pathfinder even vanished!), but I don't have any other problems except with magazines. Go figure.

On topic: glad the 3rd Era stuff helped! I hope you can find the lulu storefront.

Freyar's right. Blame the bloody customs, and the stupid border we share with the US. US/Canada customs/borders should be a freaggin' sign off the side of the road. But no!!! let's check my grandma's car piece by piece with a machinegun stuck to her head, in case she's one of those weedy grandma's that like to cross over to the US for a wonderful weekend of dealin' on the streets...
Brimstone Posted - 02 Mar 2009 : 08:33:50
-Thanks guys for showing me Nobleknight,com. I just spent 2 hours drooling on the keyboard here at work.

-I just ordered some 1E Realms goodness.

BRIMSTONE
Markustay Posted - 02 Mar 2009 : 04:28:30
Well, on that first one I mentioned, wherein the (British) guy refused delivery because they wanted something like $75 for tariffs (because it was insured for $500), the miniature - actually one painted by a 'Golden Demon Winner' (for any of you who know about miniatures and GamesWorkshop) - disappeared aftert that. If was supposed to be part of a large charity auction (an entire pro-painted Ogre Kingdoms army for Tsunami Relief), and the artist in Britain got stuck buying a mini to replace it and painting it himself.

SIX MONTHS LATER, the thing turned-up at the original sender's door in California. The only thing worse then sending something, it seems, it having to send it back the other way.

The worst part was, because of that and various other hold-ups, the auction was run very late. All donations to the Tsunami Relief were to be sent to the Red Cross, but by the time we got the money out to them (just over $10,000 IIRC), they had already started collecting money for another cause - Hurricane Katrina.

There was such an uproar amongst the community (that all that money went to 'Rich America'), that all future charity auctions were cancelled.

I can't blame the whole fiasco on the postal service, since there were other factors involved, but it sure as hell didn't help matters any.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Mar 2009 : 03:35:56
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

That's still better when than when a $10,000 server -- the biggest and heaviest of three boxes headed to the same spot, from the same spot, sent at the same time -- first goes off in an odd direction, and then disappears entirely. The box weighed like 70 pounds, was like 5 feet by 3 feet by 2 feet, and FedEx sent it to the wrong state and then lost it. And then they gave me the run around on paying the insurance on it!
Paying the insurance!?! Are you kidding me? After all that, I'd expect some level of compensation for my inconvenience.

They finally did pay it, but I had to keep chasing them on it. What really pissed me off is when they promised me on a Tuesday that they'd cut the check on Friday, and told me to call back the following Monday to confirm it. When I did so, they told me the check hadn't been cut yet, because they were doing another search for the server -- it was "standard procedure". So we were going to have to wait another week before they'd cut the check. I got flat out hostile with the woman, since they'd told me otherwise just a week before, and had totally failed to mention this standard procedure.

We hadn't even realized the server wasn't delivered until a month after we sent it. And it took another month after that before FedEx finally refunded the money and paid the insurance claim.
The Sage Posted - 02 Mar 2009 : 03:18:44
quote:

That's still better when than when a $10,000 server -- the biggest and heaviest of three boxes headed to the same spot, from the same spot, sent at the same time -- first goes off in an odd direction, and then disappears entirely. The box weighed like 70 pounds, was like 5 feet by 3 feet by 2 feet, and FedEx sent it to the wrong state and then lost it. And then they gave me the run around on paying the insurance on it!
Paying the insurance!?! Are you kidding me? After all that, I'd expect some level of compensation for my inconvenience.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Mar 2009 : 01:52:17
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

That's not so bad. I'm still waiting, after two years, for a book Sage sent me. He says it made it here but after that, we have no idea where it went. I still think it's sitting in Customs somewhere but I don't know how to go about trying to find it because I'm not sure what port it came in on.
Indeed. I might check with my UPS friend again re: what she found out about the mail journey of that book.

The Sage Posted - 01 Mar 2009 : 23:25:33
quote:

That's not so bad. I'm still waiting, after two years, for a book Sage sent me. He says it made it here but after that, we have no idea where it went. I still think it's sitting in Customs somewhere but I don't know how to go about trying to find it because I'm not sure what port it came in on.
Indeed. I might check with my UPS friend again re: what she found out about the mail journey of that book.
Kuje Posted - 01 Mar 2009 : 18:04:08
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Also, I was amazed by the differences in postal services - while Britain's is pretty bad, there are places your package may NEVER arrive at all. I got a package from Aussie in a week (with a cleverly hidden beer in it ), and a seperate one from Canada - a country that physically touches the state I live in - in six weeks!

Shipping anything to or from Canada can be really slow... I can get stuff from New York or Maine in half of the time it takes to get something from Canada. I've received packages from a lot of places, and the ones from Canada were often the slowest.

freyar Posted - 01 Mar 2009 : 16:44:33
quote:

Continuing the off-topic bit, it is quite slow to get something to Canada from the US, as well. Much of the time, it comes through quite quickly (and mail within Canada is quite fast), but other times it might not come at all. I honestly think it's more to do with customs than the post, though; it seems like all my Paizo shipments get delayed (one Pathfinder even vanished!), but I don't have any other problems except with magazines. Go figure.

On topic: glad the 3rd Era stuff helped! I hope you can find the lulu storefront.
Markustay Posted - 01 Mar 2009 : 02:43:42
The best time I saw was on a miniature I mailed to California (to the same GW Gameday award winner) - I mailed it on a Wednesday afternoon, and the guy had it in his hands at 9AM Friday. 3500 miles in a day and a half, and it was just regular ground-shipping.

Since the mini-thing I used to run was a timed affair (you had 8 weeks to get a mini and fully paint it), a 6-week wait was brutal. The mini was nice though; I think I still have it up on my CMON page.

Anyhow, to get this a little more on-topic (though not quite), I just got back from that discount bookstore... this thread got me in the mood.

I haven't been there in over a month, and they said they were trying to organize stuff better. It used to be where most of the books were all just mixed together warehouse-style (although they did try to keep them alphabetical by author). The Comic & Gaming material was the only stuff that had its own section, so that's pretty-much the only placed I looked (the rest was just too large to find anything, unles you got really lucky).

Well, now they have a Sci-Fi and Fantasy section, and I got the first two books of the Knights of Myth Drannor and Spellfire - none of which I ever had - for $25 - all hardcover!

The 'Knights' books were $10 each, and Spellfire was just $5 - they even had a copy of the Anotated Elminster there! (but I already own that)

I'm going back next week for The Orc King - I was going to wait for the paperback, but for $10, what the hell.

I actually went there for the last three FR sourcebooks I needed to complete my 3e collection - CoR, CoV, and Dragons of Faerūn. They had all three, but with them selling Ed-books so cheap, its gonna be awhile before I get back to those.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Feb 2009 : 21:01:37
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Also, I was amazed by the differences in postal services - while Britain's is pretty bad, there are places your package may NEVER arrive at all. I got a package from Aussie in a week (with a cleverly hidden beer in it ), and a seperate one from Canada - a country that physically touches the state I live in - in six weeks!

I once ordered a book from Amazon, and a CD from Japan, at the same time. I took the standard shipping option on both. The CD left Tokyo and was in my hands in less than 48 hours. The book from Amazon took three days to get from Jacksonville to my house -- and I can drive from here to Jacksonville in two hours!
Ardashir Posted - 28 Feb 2009 : 18:41:57
quote:

Check out Green Ronin's 3rd Era line. It's a re-release of (I think) all GR's 3.x products in PDF with the d20 logo stuff removed. They have Aasimars & Tieflings for $10. IIRC, they also have a Lulu storefront for these books if you prefer hardcover (but I can't seem to find it). Might save you a little.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll look into it.
Markustay Posted - 28 Feb 2009 : 17:42:46
Somewhat off-topic...

My wife sold my comic collection some years ago on E-Bay (with my teary-eyed permission), and I was amazed at what some folks considered 'bad condition' (or good, for that matter).

ALL of mine were at least in good (having been 'bag & boarded' from day 1), and I had one guy (turns out he owned a comic shop) returned ones he said "weren't in good condition", because of some slight discoloration around the staples... the book was over thrity years old.

It takes all kinds...

I had another guy who got his mutilated (the Spanish Postal system doesn't comprehend 'Handle with Care' - even when written in Spanish). They actually folded the books in half to stuff them in his box! I had another buyer (the other guy I just mentioned) reject a shipment, so I forwarded them to the Spanish buyer (at my cost) to make it up to him (he was a GOOD customer).

Also, while I did a stint running the Intenational Mini-Exchange over at CMON, we figured out a few things when shipping internationally - ALWAYS write 'Gift' and 'Toys' on the packaging label (it avoids a LOT of hassels, and tariffs), and NEVER insure it. I know that sounds stupid, but we had one guy reject a miniature (from an award winner) because the sender had insured it for $500, and the British Gov't wanted tariffs (taxes) on a $500 item!

I could have drove to that guys house in about nine hours and picked it up personally.

Anyway, I found the whole 'International Entepreneur' thing very eye-opening, and I'll never, EVER make fun of the EXCELLENT US postal service.

And to bring this back on-topic, good luck with your search and purchases.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Feb 2009 : 15:39:44
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:

nobleknight.com, which I've used for years and Aaron has always taken care of me.

Another is dragonstrove.

Or amazon, sometimes.

Or if you know the company that made the book, go to their site. :)

But not sure how many of them accept money orders. I think nobleknight does.

I've ordered a bunch of books from Amazon.com -- including Volo's Guide to All Things Magical and Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast. All in all, I've probably ordered more than 40+ used books, and only one of them was in defective condition (and the seller had claimed it was in 'Very Good' condition). Some of those books were surprisingly cheap, and I got them for half the price (shipping costs included) they would have cost at my FLGS (if they were still in print, that is).

I actually had problems getting my hands on a copy of Volo's Guide to Waterdeep in good condition. I tried two or three times on Amazon, getting supposedly Very Good copies that weren't all that good. I had to get four copies before I got one in good enough condition to suit me. I sold two of them, kept one for my collection, and since one had some seriously crinkled pages, I decided to keep it in my car instead of trying to sell it. That way, it's handy for when my wife drags me to some place I don't want to be.

I've bought other used books from Amazon, though, without any problem.
Asgetrion Posted - 28 Feb 2009 : 15:23:41
quote:

nobleknight.com, which I've used for years and Aaron has always taken care of me.

Another is dragonstrove.

Or amazon, sometimes.

Or if you know the company that made the book, go to their site. :)

But not sure how many of them accept money orders. I think nobleknight does.

I've ordered a bunch of books from Amazon.com -- including Volo's Guide to All Things Magical and Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast. All in all, I've probably ordered more than 40+ used books, and only one of them was in defective condition (and the seller had claimed it was in 'Very Good' condition). Some of those books were surprisingly cheap, and I got them for half the price (shipping costs included) they would have cost at my FLGS (if they were still in print, that is).
freyar Posted - 28 Feb 2009 : 14:48:58
Markustay Posted - 28 Feb 2009 : 06:13:31
I can get ANY 3e FR sourcebook for $11.99 at the discount bookstore a couple of miles from my house. They don't have any 2e (or earlier), of course, but still, I take what I can get.

As for online, without Paypal or a credit card... thats rough.

I had the same problem with a Double-Diamond novel at Borders. I think they went for $1.99 originally, and they wanted $30 for the thing!

I explained to the saleperson exactly what they could do with it....
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 28 Feb 2009 : 05:25:49
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

Just to clarify, I'm stuck with using money orders right now. Sites that use only PayPal or checks or creidt cards are closed to me, unless I find someone willing to help.

Just ask eBay sellers if they'll take a money order. I've found very few who'll refuse, and they are usually housebound for one reason or another and can't go to the bank to cash them. U.S. Postal money orders can be cashed at any Post Office™ and they also have international money orders for a slight mark-up. I didn't ask, but I suppose a Wal-Mart money order can be cashed at any Wal-Mart, but verify that before promising it to someone else.

danbuter Posted - 28 Feb 2009 : 00:27:30
I've used NobleKnightGames a lot over the last 10 years. Never had a problem. Highly recommend them.
Ardashir Posted - 27 Feb 2009 : 18:38:31
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

My whole 2E, 3.0 and 3.5 collection is for sale, if anyone is interested. I owned all 3.5 books.

Cheers!

Do you have any OGL material from either Goodman Games or Green Ronin? Please PM me if so.
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 27 Feb 2009 : 01:12:14
My whole 2E, 3.0 and 3.5 collection is for sale, if anyone is interested. I owned all 3.5 books.

Cheers!
Ardashir Posted - 26 Feb 2009 : 19:10:02
Alisttair, Wooly, Hooded One, Kuje: thank you. I'll keep your advice in mind.
The Hooded One Posted - 26 Feb 2009 : 19:00:38
Or attend GenCon or any gaming convention with a large dealer's room (Origins). Some dealer's rooms at small conventions (Pentacon in Fort Wayne, Indiana and U-Con in Ann Arbor, Michigan, according to what Ed's told me) also have quite a few used or sometimes even new sourcebooks going for less than cover price, cover price, or slightly more, depending on condition, demand, rarity, and the contents. Ed once attended a tiny, now defunct convention where the local hobby shop brought down ALL of their RPG stuff, and said for about two hundred bucks he could have assembled an ENTIRE TSR-era all-flavors-and-settings of D&D library, from nothing to the back seat of the car loaded full of boxes. Things are rarely so cheap and the selection is rarely so good, these days, but still . . .
Every time I've attended GenCon I've seen lots of old sourcebooks for sale, at multiple dealers' stalls.
love,
THO

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000