Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 I Have Something To Say!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Tyreal Nyquis Posted - 08 Dec 2002 : 05:21:49
These days, anyone with a steady hand, a greybeard, and a love of comfort can call himself a historian. They are our “wise” men, our consuls, and scribes, driven by duty (and in many cases boredom) to spend their lives scratching small ink glyphs onto dry parchment. Truth be told, most of these blokes know little of the events they record and even less of whose lives the chronicle. For them, their job is at the right hand of whatever powermonger happens to wield the biggest sword is prestige enough. Every word that glorifies their mortal gods means one day in a circle of the power that feeds their bellies and fills their purses. I chose this profession, the recorder of happenings, chronicler of histories, long before it was common for any drunken sod off the street to take up a quill and get a job as a scribe. In these sorry times, the greatest challenge for these imbeciles is whether to spell “knight” with a “k”. It was not this way before. Scribing was once a respected profession, and we actually had to learn to spell before we were hired. In those days, one sour word could and undoubtedly would mean the difference between a life of luxury and the end of life itself.

I long ago ceased to fear the “boundless” wrath of those whose pimply buttocks warm the purple and golden buttoned cushions of carved thrones, and believe me; it has gotten me into much trouble. I have been honored, threatened, gifted, tortured, comforted, imprisoned, rescued, and reviled by more monarchs in my day than most knights can claim in winters they have seen as living men. After writing a particularly glowing account of a minor duke’s prowess on the field of battle, he saw fit to give me the warmest tower in Daerskinnar for my chambers. After recording his crushing defeat the following spring, I found myself reduced to begging for coins on the cold and cobble paved streets of Waterdeep. Ah, truth hurts and I’ve been the brunt of that pain more times than I care to recall.

But after all of that, one thing shone through like a Mithril vein through the dust: words are the only true power. The wisest monarchs know this, the foolish and cowardly fear it. The gods themselves respect it, but they, too, however they might deny are not immune to the sting of a bitter truth unleashed. I do not shun truth, no matter how base and unflattering it may be. This most likely will someday get me killed, but for now I’ve managed (though sometimes only just barely) to avoid that fate.

So to honor of words and to the worship of the gods I do dedicate and offer my tales, my life’s work, a compendium of short tales as I’ve understood them. Do they contain substantial truth or pure fiction? That is yours to decide.

- Yours for forever and a day,

Tyreal Ny'quis

Sir Tyreal Ny'quis of Sigil
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Artalis Posted - 04 Jan 2003 : 05:59:39
::stopping briefly before walking to the door::

"Aye I will get the "bier" for you, m'lady, I do not mind a bit of fetch and carry, especially if the payment is worthwhile."
::sniffs the air::

"If that smell is any indication, the payment will be rich indeed."
::wide grin::

When Frey startles after calling him "sir" He smiles kindly and says;

"My dear lady, don't worry about calling me sir, my wish was not to place restrictions on how you address me, only to convey to you that you have my respect as a hard worker and good person, and that you may always address me as an equal, that's all. I'll brook no subservience from you, dear girl you've too great a heart and far too kind a spirit"

::Walks out the door and returns shortly with the large wooden tray like thing, walking over to Frey holding it up in his terribly burn-scarred hands::

Is this it?
Frey Posted - 03 Jan 2003 : 12:05:37
quote:
Originally posted by Artalis

::brow furrowed with thought::
"That m'lady you will have to describe to me how to do. With a blade, I can do anything. But actually cooking something, now that is a challenge indeed."

::chuckling and smiling sheepishly::

When Artalis frowns Frey stops her movement and wringles her lips. While he looks sheepishly Frey looks at him. Then her look moves to the mushroom and pork, glances at the maids who're busy nearby and eventually back at this smiling man again. "Nah, " she replies, while shaking her head. "Don't have time for that...".
quote:
Originally posted by Artalis
"I promise, I am a quick study though" One advantage to the scars I bear to, is I no longer feel heat on my hands, perhaps this is where I was meant to be?

::wry grin::

Again a smile surfaces in Frey's green eyes. While wiping her greasy hand off at the skirt on her hips she replies: "So ... you're easy to learn?" Frey looks down, trying to mask the growing smile.
Then she looks up to him again, mirth in her eyes, "No sir, I think you'd better ..." Calling him 'sir' startles Frey. She swallows. "Oops! ... sorry, Artalis, it's hard to quit a habbit, hope you don't take offence." The remorse in her eyes is genuine, be it not too deep.

She takes two frying pans, puts a fat chump of pork in each and placess them on the fire. "You could collect the ... well, we call it 'the bier', but it's just for carying food to the diner room. It's in the shed just outside that door. Would you?"
Then Frey grabs with both hands a load of mushroom pieces and carefully scatters them into the frying pans.
Stealthly she throws a glance at the scars at Artalis' hands.
Artalis Posted - 03 Jan 2003 : 03:58:16
quote:
Originally posted by Frey

-=[ OOC ]=-

• Hmm, hoped to have diner ready for Christmas, that won't happen I guess
  • One should have a look there
  • Artalis, I think you'd have to consider parting in a PBeM-game. I myself might be joining my second soon and I must say it is great fun and in a way simular to what we're doing here.
    Just look what we've done here: no monster beaten, no world saved and yet it is fun to do (IMHO of course )

PS: An IC-reaction might follow later

Frey

I can't argue with you on anything you have said...

Working on the PBeM thing. I thank you for the fun we have had here I am always checking the "Active Topics" looking for anything you have posted. Damn I sound like a f*****g groupie.

Oh well, I await your IC reaction with baited breath.
Frey Posted - 01 Jan 2003 : 22:24:04
-=[ OOC ]=-

• Hmm, hoped to have diner ready for Christmas, that won't happen I guess
  • One should have a look there
  • Artalis, I think you'd have to consider parting in a PBeM-game. I myself might be joining my second soon and I must say it is great fun and in a way simular to what we're doing here.
    Just look what we've done here: no monster beaten, no world saved and yet it is fun to do (IMHO of course )

PS: An IC-reaction might follow later

Frey
Artalis Posted - 31 Dec 2002 : 20:59:22

"That m'lady you will have to describe to me how to do. With a blade, I can do anything. But actually cooking something, now that is a challenge indeed."

::chuckling and smiling sheepishly::

"I promise, I am a quick study though" One advantage to the scars I bear to, is I no longer feel heat on my hands, perhaps this is where I was meant to be?

::wry grin::

Frey Posted - 31 Dec 2002 : 08:56:34
"I don't own any wine over here, but I'll see what I can do," Frey answers light hearted. She looks out of the window to estimate the hour of the day. Tinkingly she tightens her lips. "perhaps even tonight, but first things first," she adds, while continuing cutting chumps of pork, putting them on plates.
Everytime she has filled a plate she puts it next to Artalis and walks back to get another.

When Artalis answers her remark about his sensitive side she interrupts the cutting and looks at him, trying to sense the meaning behind his words and his probable blush. She lowers her left eyebrow, squeezing one eye, for a moment.
Then she bows and resumes her work, saying with a smile: "now this sounds intruiging... Now I will find you that wine!". For a while nothing can be heard in the kitchen, apart from the sound of kitchen tools and some fague chitchat from other workers.

When she brings another plate to the table next to Artalis she sees he's ready cutting all the mushrooms. "Done this before have you? Well you can finish these off by baking these slices along with the mushrooms with a few of those frying-pans. I'm nearly done with this cutting ... that is to say ... you know how to do that?" There's something in her look and the tone of her voice ... a challenge perhaps?
Artalis Posted - 30 Dec 2002 : 00:50:37
::Artalis walks briskly over to the wall where Frey had gotten her blade and selects a medium size slim knife. Checking it's edge absent-mindedly he flips it end over end and catches it neatly, barely paying attention as he does it, while walking towards the basket of mushrooms.

"I'll be happy to relate the sordid tales of my ill-concieved ventures with you anytime, though it'll cost you a bottle of wine or two to hear them." ::chuckling softly::

The scars were worth the price I assure you, my dear. In answer to your jest, about my sensitive side though, I think you are wrong, that is the one thing I should be afraid of ::blushing slightly::

::Artalis then sets to work on the mushrooms with the speed and skill of a master bladesman, one who has held and used knives for many scores of years, and before long the entire basket is finished::

"What's next m'lady"
Exilion Posted - 29 Dec 2002 : 11:45:09
After walking out of the small wooden building, Exilion looks back and winks at Artalis and Frey, who are cleaning up after the small 'party'. "Nice cookies. I'll have to come back and have some more one of the days, they're delish!" he says, and walks on, out of the garden, laughing.
Frey Posted - 28 Dec 2002 : 17:08:28
Frey has just tucked up her sleeves on her way to the ovens. Bending in front of some doors she hesitates as Artalis speaks. 'Hmm, wait a moment please' she says. Then she opens -one by one- the three large ovens at the south wall of the kitchen, loosening more sweet odours and inspecting whatever is inside, nodding approvingly and then closing them again.

Then she erects and looks at the muscled man. "Ehm" her eyebrows raise shortly in admiration, before she discovers Exilion sitting on the wooden bench. "Hey, didn't see you coming in." she smiles at the desire in the mans eyes and smiles in a maternal way, "There's plenty of cookies over there," she says, pointing at the plates on the table near the bench, "but please don't eat too many so close to diner, you wouldn't want to loose your appetite do you?"
Then she turns to Artalis, moving closer. "So you're willing to lent a hand! Great, lets see ... ehm ... hey, what's this?" Frey looks at the scarred skin at his arms and frowns. "This must have hurt badly!" gently she strokes her hand against his upper arm, some compassion is visible in her eyes. "perhaps you can tell me later about this injury, but let's get some work done first," she says, while looking around. Then she gestures at a table near the window and continues, "ah well, ... you can start over there. There is a basket with mushrooms, which need to be cut in tiny slices." In thought some wrinkles appear on her nose. "Then I ... yes, I can start cutting some pork."

Frey walks to the wall and collects a large chopper from the collection hanging there. Over her shoulder she addresses Artalis again: "Don't be afraid of being soft. For one you might need more muscle than you would expect and secondly ... don't be afraid of your sensitive side." There's a teasing tone in her voice and some of the maids turn to them, giggling softly.
But Frey carries on, getting a plate and she starts chopping large greasy pieces of the pigs -each with a crispy golden crust- and puts them on the plate. Soon she puts the plate on the table and continous with a second.
Exilion Posted - 27 Dec 2002 : 16:19:20
Artalis walks up and sits besides Frey, nad everyone can sense that she has once more baked some of her wonderously delicious cookies. The vapoura arise, and as soon as they are placed on the wooden bench, he lunges forward to get a plate of them.
Artalis Posted - 27 Dec 2002 : 04:49:45
::rolling up sleeves, revealing powerfully muscled arms also scarred from some great fire::

I am no stranger to labor or the kitchen, m'lady, I've not got the heart to sit and watch while others do the work. If I'll not be in the way, I would gladly assist your staff in any way I can. At the very least I can fetch and carry for you...

::then, as an aside jokingly::
I'm afraid I may be going soft, reading all these tomes and eating your divine cookies.

This is your realm now I'm in, you have but to say "do this", and I will do it.
Exilion Posted - 25 Dec 2002 : 16:01:58
Frey,

I've heard that you make wonderously fantastic cookies.
Pleeeeze give me some, I'm hungry!!!!
Frey Posted - 25 Dec 2002 : 14:51:14
Frey slowly shakes her head. 'no, Artalis, there's nothing I need just now.' She looks him in the eye with a friendly look. 'but when I need some information I'll ask you. Thanks for your offer'.
She opens a large door and a warm and sweet odour fills their noses. It's a rich smell of several things at the same time. There's the smell of batter and fresh biscuits, mingled with the fat smoke of roasted pork and several other odours.
Inside the room one can see about a dozen people busy with several activities, all concentrated around food. And in the center of all this, above the central fire there are two pigs on a spit, roasted upto a shiny golden brown colour.
'O, I'm sorry Artalis,' Freys says when she sees the bustle, 'I seem to have forgotten the progress of time. It's nearly dinner and I'll be needed here right now' She quickly looks around and points at a wooden bench. 'You can sit here and watch us work', she adds with a smile, 'in the meantime have some cake'. Frey makes an elegant gesture in the direction of the table next to the bench, where 4 different cakes are, some of them cut.
Exilion Posted - 21 Dec 2002 : 11:12:13
Tyril Nyquis,

I must say that I totally agree with you. Words are but the only power that man can appreciate totally, and for that we need to be responsive in what we say and what we do. You must be fantastically responsive so that the realms of Faerun survuve these sayings and doings. Live at peace my friend.

Exilion
Artalis Posted - 17 Dec 2002 : 15:19:41
Oh I nearly forgot... I have a moderate personal collection of scrolls that I would be more than willing to share with you Frey.

Let me know if you are looking for anything in particular...
Artalis Posted - 16 Dec 2002 : 21:10:19
::taking the last three of the cookies, Artalis smiles at Frey with a genuine warmth::

M'lady I hope you find whatever answers you seek, and If ever I may assist in even the smallest way do not hesitate to ask.

In my wanderings I have found out some things that may be of interest and use to you. One of them is that as anyone who is truly wise will tell you, The more you know, the more you will find there is to know.

So as far a knowing little as you attribute to yourself, remember it is a condition shared by all mortals, and will be forever. So long as you know more today than you did yesterday you are on the path to wisdom. Make no mistake dear lady, wisdom is a journey not a destination.

I have known many wise people in my day, though I wouldn't dare to call myself one of them, I've learned a thing or two. And let me tell you M'lady Frey, :: smiling even more broadly, with a twinkle in his eye:: not one of them could make a cookie like this.
Frey Posted - 16 Dec 2002 : 20:46:34
There's still mirth in Frey's eyes as she wanders through the long dark corridors, leading Artalis the way. Her dress sounds 'shhh, ... shhh' in the clam rhythm of her footsteps.

'Yes', she replies with a smile -and is there a blush? it's hard to say in this dim light-, 'I think I know what you mean. I've been living a simple live in a little corner of a tiny country up North for almost all my life, ... untill I left it not so long ago." She nods to indicate to turn left at another side-passage. 'I found out I knew so little."
She stops and turns to the man, offering him the last three biscuits.

While she waits for him to take them she says, 'I came here looking for some answers. I ended up finding some friends.' There's true happiness in her eyes when she turns to continue their walk.
Artalis Posted - 14 Dec 2002 : 23:14:58
::grinning at Frey while chewing on yet another cookie::

Nay young lady, ya wouldn't know my face. I am not only new to Candlekeep but new to the Realms. I have met a few kind folks who have explained a bit about these amazing lands you call home. But I come from a savage land with much less magic on hand than here.

I have tired of my wandering ways, and I wish to focus on more... scholarly pursuits. And what better place to learn than here in the company of such knowledgeable scholars and such a kind and talented young lady as yourself?

((OOC NOTE: Which is not to say that Frey is not a hell of a scholar!! ))

I must say I feel quite at home here. Though I don't remember anyone giveing me permission to stay... ::chuckling:: I just sort of wandered in and forgot to leave I suppose.

Frey Posted - 14 Dec 2002 : 20:58:02
Mirth bubbles up in Frey's eyes as she hears the enthousiasm in with Artalis treats the biscuits (not to mention him talking with his mouth filled).
When they walk into a dark corridor Frey slows down her pace a bit. "So, are you new here? Or a guest?" She stops near a torch to watch him again. "I don't seem to recall your face..."

Frey resumes walking, odouring the air with a sweet smell of cookies. "To the right here," she says when they reach a junktion.
Artalis Posted - 12 Dec 2002 : 21:28:37
::mumbling thru mouth full of cookie::
cake? pork?

Ye gods they'll have to roll me out of here!! ::Smiling and munching on another cookie while trotting after Frey::

(OOC: Thank you for your kind words as far as topic goes I don't think Tyreal minds too much he hasn't responded to anything we have said, methinks all of his anger has worn him out and he now sleeps the sleep of the Righteously Enraged.)

Frey Posted - 12 Dec 2002 : 19:30:07
While she first tries to roll her eyes to keep lookig down, Frey soon gives up this resistance and looks Artalis in his eyes. He can see heartache in her eyes, but mainly warmth.
"You can take more if you like, seh ..." Nearly have said a forbidden word she giggles, which gives a new gloss in her green eyes. She makes a brief curtsy, still looking deeply in the warmhearted man's eyes.
"And if you're real hungry, ... I could check whether there's some cake left?" She gently takes one of his hands and moves it away from her face, leaving it somewhere floating between them. "Or you could follow me to the kitchen and try how the pork's evolving."

After giving him enough time to take all the biscuits she makes a second curtsy. First then her look lets go off Artalis's eyes and her hand lets go with his, when she slowly walks towards the kitchen, providing him every opporunity to catch up on her.

In case he doesn't follow her, she'll look over her shoulder, throwing him another deep smile.

(out of character: nice post Artalis, but I fear we're running off topic a bit or two )
Artalis Posted - 12 Dec 2002 : 18:36:47
::Reaching out with a large burn-scarred hand and ever so gently lifting Frey’s face so that there eyes meet.::

My child, ::with a broad and kindly smile:: no one calls me sir. You need never be humble in my presence. Your wonderful little kindnesses earn you more respect with me than most who walk these hallowed halls will ever receive.

However nothing, no angel of the heavens, nor demon of the pits could stand between me and those wonderful little delights of your making, fair one ::mischevious smile::

My thanks to you

::takes a handful of cookies and bows the deepest and most courtly of bows::
Frey Posted - 12 Dec 2002 : 13:20:53
Someone taps at Artalis' shoulder. When he turns he'll look right into the warm smile of Frey. If he does she'll humbly look down, presenting him the plate of cookies she's holding in front of her chest.
With a hoarse voice she says softly, "Please take a few ... sir"
Artalis Posted - 11 Dec 2002 : 22:58:36
Excuse me

::pokes his head in thru the door::

Do I smell cookies? I missed the cake at Mumadar's party, I suppose one who walks slowly goes hungry in these parts.

My but that nice young lady, Frey certainly can bake. The smell alone makes my well traveled knees weak. Ah well I suppose I've missed them again...

Tyreal I sense some bitterness in your speech, mayhap you should spend some time here among the gentle scholars and scribes and you may see indeed that not all are as you seem to think.

Now, where did the lovely girl with the cookies go.....

::wandering away aimlessly (in the opposite direction of the kitchen)::
Frey Posted - 10 Dec 2002 : 21:38:14
Frey leaves some dozen of cookies on Alaundo's desk and smiles at his implicit compliment. When she leaves for the kitchen she turns her head and winks at Mumadar.

Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 09 Dec 2002 : 10:56:01
Well met Sir Ny'quis,

Not all of the scribes at Candlekeep fit the description you've provided, and though you have seen more sunsets on Toril then I have, I'm sure you mean no disrespect to the current generation of scribes. After all, time moves on, and one cannot always linger on the discussion whether or not to write 'knight' with or without a 'k'.

As to those who came before the scribes, I hold even more respect, the bards and skalds of this world, who for generations handed down the history and knowledge in their best oral traditions often accompanied by music and song. That was, and still is the way my tribe in the desert sands of the Aunaroch passes on the tribal lore.

You're knowlegde and scribe expertise is much welcomed in the walls of this grand place of knowledge.

May the sun's warmth keep you through the darkness of the night and may the crystal clear water from the oasis keep you going to the next step in life's journey.
Alaundo Posted - 08 Dec 2002 : 19:26:53
Well Met

Ahhhh about time too Frey, I was just looking down at the stale froth in my mug and wondered where you had got to! ...and you can leave some of those splendid cookies here too!

::stomach rumbles::
Frey Posted - 08 Dec 2002 : 12:59:55
quote:
Originally posted by The Defence Minister
Yeah but Frey bakes those cookies pretty damn well

Frey turns to the minister, humbly looking at the floor between them. Glad you like 'em sir! Her green eyes flicker as she dares to look him in the eye for a brief moment.
When she sees him wink she smiles, blushes and winks back (, , and ).

Then she turns and leaves for the kitchen.

Some time later she returns with an big jug of stout. Admiringly she pours Tyreal a mug first, then she refills Alaundo's -which is to be refilled every so often, reading the dusty tomes is thirsty work-. Then she turns to TDM again, asking And you, sir? some more of this? There's a challenging look in her eyes as she lingers beside him, looking down at the sitting man.
The Defence Minister Posted - 08 Dec 2002 : 11:19:48
quote:
Originally posted by Frey

Frey -one of the folk up here who don't bother with the books too much, but take care of more material thinks, like baking cookies- looks at you with admiration.

Yeah but Frey bakes those cookies pretty damn well

Greeting and welcome to the wonderful Library of Candlekeep.

My name is, for obvious reasons , The Defence Minister and I am one of those 'common drunken sods' you speak of who decided to become a Scribe to get more money for drink and to get into Candlekeep and see if Alaundo really was as evil as he is rumoured to be down in Cormyr

I hope you enjoy your stay, if there's anything you need please do not hesitate to ask me.

May you live long and prosper (I saw you used that phrase in one of the other welcome threads but I used it first )

Yours,

TDM
Alaundo Posted - 08 Dec 2002 : 10:18:20
Well Met Tyreal Nyquis, Welcome to Candlekeep, the greatest library in all the Realms!

Your tales and background intrigue me, fellow scribe. Please take a seat and present me your journals and scrolls, im sure your stay here will be of great value.

As you can see, we have many tomes here.... many I have no doubt will be of great interest to one such as yourself.

Enjoy your stay in the library...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000