Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Cliche Night (GenCon '07)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 19 Jul 2007 : 16:35:37
Hey all,

I am running a game at GenCon called Cliché Night, which is based around fantasy's best (and worst) clichés. What I need to acquire are favorite clichés and ways in which to work them into my story in fashions both clever and ridiculous.

And I figured, why should I have all the fun coming up with this--and why shouldn't I open it up to all the wonderful minds here? So that's what I'm doing.

Here's the basic description of the event, so you can see what I'm up to:

“That’s right – the princess has been captured by the fire-breathing dragon. Again. Perhaps the witches with the glass eye know something about it. Or the mischievous fairy dragon. Or the troll under the bridge. Or the shadowy man in the corner. Come play in a game rife with fantasy’s best (and worst) clichés – use them against your foes, or jump right into the old and familiar.

Come join us on a merry romp through fantasy's best and worst cliches. Use them against your foes--the fire breathing dragon who's addicted to kidnapping princesses, the mischievous fairy dragon, the troll under the bridge, the shadowy man in the corner who-may-or-may-not aid the party -- or play right along.

This game will be very role-playing intensive--your skills will be tested more as to how you talk your way out of dire situations and your cleverness in applying your cliche/word-smithing/punning skills. This is very important when the dominantly 1st level party goes up against, say, a mature adult red dragon.”

So. Ideas?

Think Shrek. Think Lord of the Rings parody. Munchkin. Order of the Stick. Monty Python. Star Wars. Think of the jokes you tell around the gaming table, which are often times even better than the game.

I need character concepts, villain concepts, encounter concepts, the works--any idea you've got, lay it on me.

Here’s a couple of the sorts of things I mean:

- The farmboy who awakens awesome magical talent and is destined to save the world--or destroy it.
- The princess in disguise who's grown bored of the royal life and wants to put her white magic--ahem, divine abilities to better use.
- The simple-minded, heavily armed barbarian/knight with inner nobility.
- The ruthless thief with the heart of gold.
- The statue-esque warrior-woman who embodies feminist ideals.
- The shadowy creature who has rebelled against his evil kin and lashes out with twin-scimitar fury.

If you have any ideas, feel free to lay them on me.

Cheers
24   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Markustay Posted - 26 Jul 2007 : 22:34:33
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I was really looking for a site I found awhile back that listed all the things "I promise I won't do when I'm a super-villain". but couldn't find it. The only one I remember is "I WILL NOT dress my minions in uniforms that cover their faces, thereby allowing heroes to sneak into my fortress". The wqhole list was great, I wish I could find it.

Your search fu is weak!

http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

Yup, that's the one! Thanks, I'll bookmark it this time.

Its probably too late for more contributions, but don't forget to dress all of the parties henchmen in redshirts before they die.
Matthus Posted - 22 Jul 2007 : 19:12:19
The masses of Monsters naturally won't leave their single room where they where confined for some hundreds of years after the players opened the door – just come back whenever you like, however long it takes...

Nobody will react to the fighting noise next door – see above

The weather is always good, why have you bought the waterproofed tent…

Jorkens Posted - 22 Jul 2007 : 08:19:15
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

Oh and don't forget the damsel in distress who turns out to be a succubus. Anything that is obviously innocuous, isn't. And those statues in the next room... they are coming to life as soon as you enter.

It seems you have played Journey to the Rock recently.

Oh, and I forget, remember that crypts are another words for storage-rooms where one puts zombies and other relatives intending to make inheritance cases troublesome. Or to storage family heirlooms until a distant relative proves worthy of course. The rumour that this has something to do with burials is bs.

Let us not forget that all dragons have a secret desire to be ridden by heroes into suicide missions.

Xysma Posted - 22 Jul 2007 : 05:05:27
Oh and don't forget the damsel in distress who turns out to be a succubus. Anything that is obviously innocuous, isn't. And those statues in the next room... they are coming to life as soon as you enter.
Calrond Posted - 21 Jul 2007 : 06:34:09
There will be a dungeon with four creature-filled rooms, each dedicated to one of the four elements.
Only NPCs die.
All jailers fall asleep near the cell bars, leaving the keys within easy reach.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 21 Jul 2007 : 04:02:19
quote:

I can't believe no one mentioned "The Prophesy" - ya know, where one of the PCs is 'the chosen one' or whatever from legend. You have to have a few good cryptic prophesies that nobody gets until after it happens.

Dang! That one is so obvious, so ubitquitous, I forgot about it!

Another thing: have the villain talk to himself about his evil plans, or go over them again and again with his minions.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Jul 2007 : 03:46:58
quote:

I was really looking for a site I found awhile back that listed all the things "I promise I won't do when I'm a super-villain". but couldn't find it. The only one I remember is "I WILL NOT dress my minions in uniforms that cover their faces, thereby allowing heroes to sneak into my fortress". The wqhole list was great, I wish I could find it.

Your search fu is weak!

http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

Markustay Posted - 21 Jul 2007 : 02:29:35
I can't believe no one mentioned "The Prophesy" - ya know, where one of the PCs is 'the chosen one' or whatever from legend. You have to have a few good cryptic prophesies that nobody gets until after it happens.

Jorkens used my cliche' "Super-villain" speach, that he makes in lieu of actually killing the good guys. For a list of Bad-guy cliches see here -

http://www.sandstorming.com/2006/10/9-reasons-to-become-an-evil-super-villain/

Other good cliche's would include the 'jailers' who argue and allow the characters to escape somehow, and the roguish swordsmen and his over-sized barbarian companion who are constantly on each other with good-natured ribbing.

And of course if your thinking Shrek - the misunderstood monster who just needs a friend.
Matthus Posted - 20 Jul 2007 : 18:50:50
I forgot,

the cliche says that the story should be told here about three days before the con ,

but I hope at least you will give us the best details some three days after .

I already reget that I won't have the chance to participate.
Jorkens Posted - 20 Jul 2007 : 15:56:59
Well, the befuddled wizard should be more of a hedge wizard (think Egg Shen) to be a real cliche.

What ever you do Erik, don't forget to have the evil wizard tell them every point of his insane plot whilst having them dangling over some deadly contraption; sadistically trying to bore them to death.

All quiet places should have tentacles coming out of them within four seconds if they are mentioned.

If the elves invite you to their dwelling you are in REAL trouble. The villain must have a maniacal cackle for use while trying to kill the heroes.

There should be no children, pregnancies, logical food sources or ecology's in a fantasy world.

All good heroes have a theme music. What do you think bards are really in the game for?

Saddle sores, toilet problems, or quickies are no problem, no matter how the armor is designed.

Mirrors, like hearts are made to be broken. How else will you get your soul back or kill the evil demon.

Castle walls are easily climbed and guards hear nothing. The princess or the treasure can be found in the tower to the right.

Inns are either meeting places when you need companions or the place where the enemy spy awaits. If you go to an inn after meeting your friends it will contain spies.

A wizard can only ever polymorph you into a frog.

That person cursed to beast-form is probably your mother.

In a real fantasy world arrows grow on trees and there is no such thing as a whetstone. weapons are nice, shiny and ready for use. Their shape should of course be more or less inspired by molten glass.
Matthus Posted - 20 Jul 2007 : 14:12:04
quote:
Fizban was from the Dragginglance Chronicles trilogy. Zifnab was in the Death's Gate Cycle, by the same authors. Zifnab acted the same (if not nuttier!), and even referenced the Chronicles a couple of times ("Berlin. 1948. Tanis Half-Elven was taking a shower, when..."), but wasn't a god (and he also mentioned things like the Millenium Falcon, nuclear power, and Gandalf the Grey. His dragon mentioned Pern!).

Thanks for clarification – I always assumed that Fizban and Zifnab were one and the same – just hopping in different worlds and times. And I think that Fizban in the Chronicles was an avatar – right? Hasn’t Fizban a short entrance in Tymora’s Luck? Well maybe I’m still just confused, but maybe someone can give me just a little bit more info’s

(*Sorry Erik – your topic isn’t forgotten, but if I missed about the most wonderful befuddled, doddery and funny wizard in my view – I have to see some light at the end of the tunnel *)

Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Jul 2007 : 12:34:41
quote:
Originally posted by Matthus

I like Zifnaf or what was my name – the avatar who doesn’t seem to get his feet in the same direction but saves the party with his magic nonetheless.

Fizban was from the Dragginglance Chronicles trilogy. Zifnab was in the Death's Gate Cycle, by the same authors. Zifnab acted the same (if not nuttier!), and even referenced the Chronicles a couple of times ("Berlin. 1948. Tanis Half-Elven was taking a shower, when..."), but wasn't a god (and he also mentioned things like the Millenium Falcon, nuclear power, and Gandalf the Grey. His dragon mentioned Pern!).
Matthus Posted - 20 Jul 2007 : 11:30:41
Whats missing?

Not too much but I can think of:

The Damsel in mistress should get the romance with the kidnapping monster - think King Kong.
The prince in disguise is looking for some saucy wenches to doodle in the hay – neglecting the need for saving the fatherland.
Demons/Devils should sprout fire like spittle, even having flaming beards, red eyes, and reek of sulphur – the Cliché Night shouldn’t make differences between them – aren’t they the same?
Adventuring companies are always singing when marching, fighting, camping….
The sage who stumbles about, thick glasses on his nose, scribbling in his notebook, looking for the butterfly without noticing the approaching orc, but knocking him senseless with his inkwell – just being “heroic” without noting it.
I like Zifnaf or what was my name – the avatar who doesn’t seem to get his feet in the same direction but saves the party with his magic nonetheless.
The broom of the witch moves without aid – sweeping dust in thick clouds.
The eyes of the mage should reflect some golden hourglasses or at the fighter should have some golden wolf-eyes.
The elves should be to overwhelming beautiful, they blend the eyes of the mortals and let the males dripping spittle from gapping mouths, the females moaning...

EvilKnight Posted - 20 Jul 2007 : 03:12:25
How about the halfling thief that just seems to end up with what anyone needs at any particular moment in his pouches (even when it belongs to the person looking for it).

Oh, the orphan king should have the Purple Pimpernel birthmark on his butt cheek. And everyone that meets him wants him to prove he is the rightful heir by constantly showing it (embarrassing him). And every lady and wench in the place needs to stop what they are doing and come over to stare every time. And he should have a constant companion, the court jester, that breaks into song (ala Danny Kay in the movie The Court Jester).

"The King, The King
Yes, the rightful heir
Just by looking
You can see it bare."

Midgets... lots of midgets (or halflings). A full compliment acrobatic troop.

In fact you all should watch The Court Jester for plenty more cliches.

EvilKnight
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 20 Jul 2007 : 01:34:17
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
- The princess in disguise who's grown bored of the royal life and wants to put her white magic--ahem, divine abilities to better use.

Here's a similar one: princess (or rich girl) is a leather-clad (tight leather!) thief by night, and she pilfers stuff from the mansions of her wealthy peers.

You need to have romance, too! It's love at first sight for the romantic hopefuls (usually a heterosexual couple), but they don't realize it yet. They'll probably bicker a lot, but under the surface they'll want each other. Finally, they'll sleep together, and one (or both) of them will be a virgin. In spite of a lack of experience, with each other at least, the sex will be perfect. They'll realize they were made for each other, that they could never possibly love anyone else, and they'll marry, have children, live together forever, blah blah blah...

You get the idea. Also, make sure at least ONE character has eyes that can "see into someone's soul"--that's all important.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Jul 2007 : 22:50:34
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

If you are important you have a bluish light behind you.

And/or a convenient gust of wind to billow your hair and your cloak when you gaze into the distance... This even happens indoors...

Edit: Good, I got to the "clock" typo before anyone could catch it!
Jorkens Posted - 19 Jul 2007 : 22:25:38
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

You mean it sings Beatles songs?

Cheers

Nope, that's the dwarves weapon, the legendary Maxwells silver hammer. Happiness is a warm pun.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 19 Jul 2007 : 21:40:40
Perfect, guys! Perfect!

quote:
Originally posted by Ladejarl

quote:
And one of the women, prolly the warrior woman, has to be wearing a chain mail bikini.

Enchanted mail bikini.

Enchanted mail bikini . . . with SPIKES.

quote:
Originally posted by Chyron

The singing sword. (but the songs this one sings are actually backwardly masking demonic names, thus each song has a chance to summon something nasty...yikes).

You mean it sings Beatles songs?

Cheers
Jorkens Posted - 19 Jul 2007 : 19:45:00
You need:
A depressed character with a sword, an albino would work.
A wizard with an unpronounceable name of X's and Z's.
A lady in distress that faints and screams. A lot.
Don't forget that a lair contains only male warriors, no women or children.
A small comic sidekick with a strange voice or dialect.
Animals will talk.Talking wolves are good.
Your dead mother/father has advice for you, bluish ghosts are important.
Armor is not as important as muscles for protection.
Heroes fight better with more or less naked women at their feet (ask Boris and Frazetta).
If you are important you have a bluish light behind you.
If he has a long beard he is a wizard. women with highly cut black dresses are usually wizards
Gods are not do be trusted, but they can be killed.
No one but the heroes can use their weapons, except for the main bad-guy, who will fall of a cliff.
You can tumble in heavy armour.

I will think of more later.
Victor_ograygor Posted - 19 Jul 2007 : 19:07:00
I were thinking of some Forgotten Realms Cliche´s

The dungeon below the big city were a mysterious insane mage lives

The infamous (multiusing) wand wielding dragon, that loves to eat dragon eggs

There are many more but haven’t time to find more at the moment

One last thing… What about last famous words ore AD&D Comedy.. Don't you hate it when...

List of Famous Last Words / AD&D Comedy.. Don't you hate it when...
http://www.123hjemmeside.dk/Drakul/3357492

Imagine a dragon writing all the last famous words down from heroes visiting his / hers dungeon, and letting heroes read in the book before they met each other.

Top Ten Things Your Berserker Would Never Say / Top Ten Signs You Just Met the Main Bad Guy / Top Ten Signs You Pissed Off the Villagers / Top Ten Spells That Never Made It / Top Ten Signs Your DM is Too Easy / Top Ten Signs Your DM is Too Hard / 10 Ways to Piss Off Your DM

http://www.123hjemmeside.dk/Drakul/3654143

I hope I have the time to see you all there.

Vic.
EytanBernstein Posted - 19 Jul 2007 : 18:25:08
- The elf and dwarf who compete at killing (insert nameless goons)
- The lady in the lake/fey spirit in the forest who helps (or gives information) to lost/confused heroes.
Chyron Posted - 19 Jul 2007 : 18:16:55
How about some racial profilling...

A dwarf with a scottish accent that use axes, but has lived underground in mines all his life with nery a tree in sight.

The elf that acts like (for lack of a better term) a vulcan (i.e emotionless and see humans as children).

A human orphan that is actually the rightful heir of the king of (insert kingdom here).

A gnome that actually likes wearing tall pointy red caps, looks a bit like Santa and likes standing outside homes on the grass.

The halfling who would rather be stealing pies and smoking pipes.

or some item variations

The singing sword. (but the songs this one sings are actually backwardly masking demonic names, thus each song has a chance to summon something nasty...yikes).

The flaming sword. (even the handle flames...flame on).

The wizards staff. (not magical...he really needs it to help him walk)

The sword in the stone. (pull it out and something happens....maybe the next king or maybe a geyser of endless water comes forth flooding all the lands for miles...way to go Arthur).

Pipes of summoning (summons rats...and kids....at the same time...soon followed by angry parents).

Ladejarl Posted - 19 Jul 2007 : 18:04:20
quote:
And one of the women, prolly the warrior woman, has to be wearing a chain mail bikini.

Enchanted mail bikini.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Jul 2007 : 17:05:57
Don't forget that the whole thing starts in an inn, when the shadowy person approaches them...

And what about the wizard, who, despite having long grey hair and an impressive beard, is still hale and hearty enough to adventure, and doesn't seem to mind hanging out with the younger characters?

Ooh, ooh, and the good guy with the mysterious/forgotten past, who turns out to be a former bad guy!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000