Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Reflex saves against lightning?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kyrene Posted - 28 Mar 2007 : 06:47:03
I know that since Toril has magic in abundance, physics is often superceded, but I still have a slight problem with the lightning generated by magic.

The five spells that I know of -- Call Lightning, Call Lightning Storm, Chain Lightning, Lightning Bolt and Storm of Vengeance -- that have a lightning component, all allow a reflex save for half damage. Surely, since lightning arcs from its origin to its target -- or next target in the case of Chain Lightning -- there is no way of "dodging" the arc with a reflex save. The origin might be magic, but after the bolt is generated, physics takes over. The arc is going to follow the target's movements, no matter how fast it tries to get out of the way.

Has it got something to do with the fact that real life lightning strikes doesn't always kill the target? If so, is it based on the conductivity of the target at the time of the strike? If that is the case -- or reason for the reflex save -- should anyone wearing metal (or conductive) armour or clothing be denied a save, or not?

Could someone better versed in physics and/or realmsian magic please explain the save for half damage that is allowed in these cases.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kaladorm Posted - 29 Mar 2007 : 12:02:10
Not necessarily the mage has control of the arc, short of pointing it in the right direction, but magic controls it's actions from there on in. Look at a magic missile, the mage chooses a target but he does not choose how the missiles reach their target, once he's let his spell fly, it's magic that causes them to seek out and strike their target.

I don't think you even need to think of the lightning as travelling down a filament. It's magical lightning, not real lightning, who says it has to obey the properties of naturally occuring phenomena?
Kyrene Posted - 29 Mar 2007 : 06:37:52
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm
Although the lightning bolts are from nature, they were still magically created and, like other spells, the magic in them calls to target a point or area. Physics would tell the lightning to move but the 'magic' constrains it.

So you're saying the mage in question actually has control of the path of the arc so to speak. Its like creating a thin metal filament from the origin to the target to force the lightning bolt down that particular path, only its magical in nature and there is no physical filament. That makes sense.

quote:
For a further explanation if you'd like, imagine standing stock still and the lightning hits you square in the chest. Or you manage to twist away and instead of striking your heart and grounding, the lightning travels through a limb instead, doing only some non-fatal damage

That also makes a lot of sense, but then what about metallic, or rather conductive, armour? Shouldn't a reflex save be denied in those instances? I mean, if you're encased in a metal shell and you get hit by lightning you're pretty much fried. I know this would make the rules even more complicated, but my mind tends to pick up on curiousities like that from time to time.

Thanks for the replies so far.
Kaladorm Posted - 28 Mar 2007 : 10:40:19
Reflex is just that, reflex, not necessarily a conscious action. The nimble rogue may have had anything such as a slight tingling in the air, a glimpse from the corner of his eye, or anything that made him dive for cover.

Although the lightning bolts are from nature, they were still magically created and, like other spells, the magic in them calls to target a point or area. Physics would tell the lightning to move but the 'magic' constrains it.

For a further explanation if you'd like, imagine standing stock still and the lightning hits you square in the chest. Or you manage to twist away and instead of striking your heart and grounding, the lightning travels through a limb instead, doing only some non-fatal damage
Dhomal Posted - 28 Mar 2007 : 06:55:08
Hello-

In its simplest of explanations - I assume it is somewhat a game ballance issue. All of the listed spells would be of a higher level if there was no save for 1/2 damage.

I also thought it was somewhat a 'luck' issue - not 'necessarilly' a reflexive dodge as it were. If you noticed what was going on, somewhat akin to a spellcraft check - you could move some - and thereby only get hit by a part of the bolt - hence the reduced damage.

Dhomal

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000