Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Healer of Ilmater and Celestial Companion

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
KnightErrantJR Posted - 26 Mar 2007 : 04:19:35
It doesn't quite apply the way it used to, but my original concept for my Ilmater worshiper was to have him as a Healer. As I was looking at the class (from the Miniatures Handbook), and the only thing that didn't work well for my concept of the character was the celestial unicorn companion that they get to summon at 8th level. It just didn't seem like an Ilmater "thing," to have as a companion.

So I was looking at some of the creatures associated with Ilmater in Faiths and Avatars, and came up with doves, field mice, donkeys, and sparrows, or else its solars and planetars and hollyphants, which are way more powerful than a celestial CR 3 creatures.

So, does anyone have any idea about creatures that would make sense as a celestial "something" as a companion that would makes sense for a healer dedicated to Ilmater?
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
EytanBernstein Posted - 27 Mar 2007 : 10:00:39
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Thanks Eytan, I'll have to look into that.

Oh, it's in the Planar Handbook.
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 27 Mar 2007 : 05:25:56
Dargoth: take a look at the ghost rothe from the FRCS (or surface rothe). They're all white and evoke an image of sturdiness and endurance to hardship and pain, which would fit Ilmater nicely. Moreover, if your Ilmater healer is from the Monastery of the Yellow Rose, the semi-arctic mountainous climate would fit that beast nicely...
KnightErrantJR Posted - 26 Mar 2007 : 21:23:30
Thanks Eytan, I'll have to look into that.
EytanBernstein Posted - 26 Mar 2007 : 20:33:15
On second thought, I agree that a unicorn does seem a bit out of place, especially for a Calishite. The phoenix fits because of the whole "born from the ashes" thing, but it is definitely too powerful. I'd go with some sort of large celestial animal or perhaps suggest taking a look at the variants in Unearthed Arcana that allow you to exchange animal companions for other features. They weren't exactly designed with this in mind, but it might help with creating a house rule.

The Elysian Thrush might make a better companion. It only has a single d10, but its song speeds healing. They come in flocks of 8-32, so perhaps some sort of flock of elysian thrushes might be good. I know it's a bit out there, but it seemed like a cool idea.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 26 Mar 2007 : 16:34:13
I was thinking of those, but I couldn't remember the name of them, and since I'm at work right now, I couldn't look them up. Thanks Dargoth.
Dargoth Posted - 26 Mar 2007 : 14:52:45
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja

I also think that the unicorn angle is a little out of place. Unicorn mythology is one of the last vestiges of High Fantasy in the realms, and I'm not inclined to start passing them out a 8th level. Unicorns only choosing human or elf females for companions is a tradition that goes back to first edition. On top of which, in FR, the Unicorn is tied so strongly with Lurue and Mielikki that I would be very surprised if other deities infringed upon that motif.

I know the CR is out of whack, but a pheonix fits the healing motif as well, though I wouldn't utilize that beyond Lathander's faith.

Id be inclined to give Healers of Lathander Phoeras from Monster manual 3
KnightErrantJR Posted - 26 Mar 2007 : 14:11:36
quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja

I also think that the unicorn angle is a little out of place. Unicorn mythology is one of the last vestiges of High Fantasy in the realms, and I'm not inclined to start passing them out a 8th level. Unicorns only choosing human or elf females for companions is a tradition that goes back to first edition. On top of which, in FR, the Unicorn is tied so strongly with Lurue and Mielikki that I would be very surprised if other deities infringed upon that motif.

I know the CR is out of whack, but a pheonix fits the healing motif as well, though I wouldn't utilize that beyond Lathander's faith.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 26 Mar 2007 : 14:09:44
The other reason I was looking at an alternative is due to the fact that the Ilmatari in question is a Calishite, and for some reason unicorns just don't feel "southern" to me, as far as Faerun goes.

On the other hand, I can see healers of the Seldarine or Mieliekki or Lurue having this feature no problem. I am looking forward to your article on this Eytan, as I have enjoyed them so far, just so see how you picture healers fitting into the overall structure of Faerun and its gods.
WalkerNinja Posted - 26 Mar 2007 : 13:34:20
Ergdusch Posted - 26 Mar 2007 : 13:16:50
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

I do discuss healers of Ilmater (and other healers) in an upcoming article, though I don't think I cover whether or not they choose companions. I think the unicorn works just fine. I don't see anything wrong with using the unicorn as it is. Individual members of a given church are still people with great variety. You don't need to limit yourself to field mice and sparrows.

Didnt I read a rule somewhere that Unicorns will only accept Female riders?

You remember rightly so. As the MM I states: "tamed and ridden only by human or elven maidens of pure heart." (p. 181)

Ergdusch

Dargoth Posted - 26 Mar 2007 : 11:37:15
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

I do discuss healers of Ilmater (and other healers) in an upcoming article, though I don't think I cover whether or not they choose companions. I think the unicorn works just fine. I don't see anything wrong with using the unicorn as it is. Individual members of a given church are still people with great variety. You don't need to limit yourself to field mice and sparrows.

Didnt I read a rule somewhere that Unicorns will only accept Female riders?
EytanBernstein Posted - 26 Mar 2007 : 10:58:13
Dargoth Posted - 26 Mar 2007 : 05:30:08
I dont think Doves have ever bee stated but you could always base it on an Advanced Eagle and just remove most of the attacks or you could give the character a Giant Owl
KnightErrantJR Posted - 26 Mar 2007 : 05:26:20
Don't forget "celestial," . . . celestial large advanced dove . . .

Dargoth Posted - 26 Mar 2007 : 05:24:19
Your other option is to create a Large Advanced Dove
KnightErrantJR Posted - 26 Mar 2007 : 05:02:12
I like that, because I thought the mouse was the least likely one to figure out some angle on. On the other hand, Mustevals don't seem to have anything that suggests "healing" or "mercy." Then again, perhaps a Musteval with a level of healer (since they are only CR 2)?

I kind of like that, but its not quite perfect . . . great idea though.
Dargoth Posted - 26 Mar 2007 : 04:49:39
How about a Musteval from BOED?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000