Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Question re Realmsian Culture Advancement

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Delzounblood Posted - 23 Mar 2007 : 11:16:29
First note to mods

Not sure where this post would be best posted Had thought Realmslore poss Q for Ed or in General Chat. Please move as you see fit.

Title space is a little short for the full question if needed please change.

Right here goes: Sorry for the long post!

For the past 5 years I have been off and on studying Ancient History and Lesser Known Theories of Mankind. (I know big subject!) I have been re-reading one of my favorite Non-fiction Books on this subject, and with a couple of points raised I wondered if anything simular had happened in the realms?

The book is Fingerprints of the Gods by Graham Hancock.

In the section I was reading the book discusses ancient Andean and Incan civilisations and their step up from Un-civilised Barbarians to the earliest know civilised cultures.

This seems to be the work of One man if you follow Andean legend or a group of men from the same culture.

In most places they named him Ticci Viracocha though he had many other names including Huaracocha, Con, Con Ticci or Kon Tiki, Thunupa etc.

This man or men came and taught the barbaric tribes Math, Writing, Agriculture and gave them all the skills needed for a cultured civilised life!

Then left and went forth into the sea....

Back to the realms!

Has there been any canon or anything hinted at that would reflect or in some way mirror the Andean Legend of this Foam of the Sea, Master of Science & Magic (as he is known) in early FR history?

Did the races of Faerun have divine influence that could incorprate this legend in any way?

I am thinking more of the Old Empires or maybe the Maztican Empire etc:

I know FR is not a reflection of RW but I always find some mirror of a legend able to fit and adapt to game terms.

Maybe a manifestation / avatar of one God or another shaping their favored race?

Or as per the books hinted but unknown

A super advanced race which for reasons unknown traveled around Toril on a civilising mission?

Your thoughts and any canon please.

PS for those of you interested in Pre-History or the Ancients this book is a must, But read with an open mind!

Delz

4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lemernis Posted - 28 Mar 2007 : 12:20:23
The myth of Ticci Viracocha sounds a lot like Quetzalcoatl to the north in Mexico and Central America, incidentally.

It's a fun question. Seems a good one to pose to Ed.
Asgetrion Posted - 28 Mar 2007 : 09:47:44
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

But I can't think offhand of any Realms examples of such...nevertheless they are probably there. I would not doubt that a flip through one of the deity-centered sourcebooks would reveal a similar legend about an FR god, or several.

Hmmm... the only reference I recall is when Gond taught mankind the secret of powder and firearms during/after the Time of Troubles. It would only seem natural that he would have done so before...

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 27 Mar 2007 : 00:34:26
I can think of more than one real world legend involving a god or one inspired by the gods teaching mankind Something Important (I'm thinking of Greek myths right now, namely those of Athena and Prometheus).

But I can't think offhand of any Realms examples of such...nevertheless they are probably there. I would not doubt that a flip through one of the deity-centered sourcebooks would reveal a similar legend about an FR god, or several.
Asgetrion Posted - 23 Mar 2007 : 17:01:17
Elves educated probably the humans of Netheril a lot. Ed has also said that many cultures during the course of history have invented such things as printing, for example. This knowledge has become lost time and time again as the cultures perished (although some may have passed on 'ancestral knowledge').

I have speculated with the idea that Netheril, during its prime, educated and enslaved "lesser" cultures, thus advancing them with their discoveries. It is also likely that the survivors from Netheril spread some minor aspects of their culture (inventions, ideas and innovations) as they fled to all corners of Faerūn.
I think that equally effective has been the fact that the legacies and artifacts of such cultures as Imaskar and Jhaamdath have resurfaced from time to time (due to all those nasty, greedy adventurers who seek such treasures ;)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000