Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 An example of a marriage ceremony

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
RodOdom Posted - 07 Mar 2007 : 01:52:25
Anyone come across the description of a marriage ceremony in Realmslore? Thanks in advance :)
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Trace_Coburn Posted - 31 Mar 2007 : 14:50:06
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

Anyone come across the description of a marriage ceremony in Realmslore? Thanks in advance :)

ISTR that Beyond the High Road features Tanalasta and Rowen going through the 'Seed Ceremony', which appears to be the Chauntean marriage rite.
Walking in the Light Posted - 07 Mar 2007 : 05:47:11
THE SAGE
quote:
…there are a fair number of caravan merchants who have wives in various cities, usually without one knowing about the others, though a few even write back and forth, or journey with the merchant from time to time, to visit each other

Not to be picky, with a fellow respected scribe
Yet I do wish to add that female merchants, have the same opportunity, for more than one husband about

Not that I support such matrimony deception!

I just wish to keep FR an equal opportunity Realm for both sexes
Sian Posted - 07 Mar 2007 : 05:30:39
there is also as far as i remember a bit about dwarven marriages in Dwarves Deep :P
Dargoth Posted - 07 Mar 2007 : 02:05:20
Theres also abit of info in RA Salvatores novel Legacy
The Sage Posted - 07 Mar 2007 : 02:03:30
And here's another bit from Ed, taken from the FR Mailing List in Oct. '03 -

"[I]t depends on the faith and the individual church. Formal marriages (i.e. with written contracts and witnesses, as opposed to a simple private ceremony followed by a party if the couple want it/can afford it) are rare among those who don’t have significant wealth or land to pass on. Some faiths assume a marriage is forever (most of these have been amended to “until death,” to prevent undead terrorizing the living by insisting on returning to the house and climbing into bed with them), but most ARE, as you speculate, based on “for as long as love lasts.” In some places and faiths, this leads to a swinging lifestyle, but in most places, the public disapproves of those who abandon spouses without good moral reason (the only difference I see between most of the Heartlands of the Realms and the prevalent real-world modern Western society view is that in the Realms, short-term or seldom-consummated affairs aren’t seen as sufficient “moral reason” to end a marriage). Spouse-beating, however, IS. One is expected to remain with a spouse, and tend them in illness or dying. (And yes, there are a fair number of caravan merchants who have wives in various cities, usually without one knowing about the others, though a few even write back and forth, or journey with the merchant from time to time, to visit each other.)

Formal marriages always have SIMPLE clauses outlining what happens to lands and goods when a union ends, and many weddings involving nobility insist on both parties formally and in writing (with priests using magic to make sure the participants aren’t being magically compelled to act in a certain way, blackmailed, or coerced by drugs or other means) ending the marriage, not just one—so spouses who hate each other can keep each other bound in marriage (unless one manages to have the other killed, a risky proceeding because in Cormyr, Sembia, Waterdeep, Silverymoon, and most other “civilized” places, the slayer of a spouse forfeits all property to the government).

Again, there are faiths (those closely tied to nature in particular) who conduct and recognize both “forever” and “short-term” marriages (usually “two summers,” “three summers” or “ten summers”), which may of course be renewed. The clergy of Siamorphe from time to time conduct “overnight” marriages, allowing one-night stands to be legal and divinely approved, but always publicly renounce this practise when angry kin complain to governing authorities . . . only to quietly resume it again, elsewhen."

'Twas also included in the '04 compiled replies from Ed.
The Sage Posted - 07 Mar 2007 : 01:58:07
Unfortunately, wedding ceremonies are one of the many neglected ceremonies/rituals that Ed's never had much opportunity to detail, officially, through the Realmslore.

He did share with us partly detailed ceremonies involving the faiths of Sharess and Lliira. They're in his compiled replies here at Candlekeep.

And there is a Tymoran ceremony in Ed's Spellfire.
Dargoth Posted - 07 Mar 2007 : 01:55:44
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

I think Ed gave out some info on marriage ceremonys a while ago you might want to check out Kujes files

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000