Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Shallain Freehold

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Francius Posted - 22 Jan 2007 : 21:36:14
Hey fellow woody merrymen.

I 'd like some pointing out regarding info about this installment called "Shallain Freehold".
It's located right to the east from Shadowdale(approximately 50 miles).
As I recall from reading somewhere,the Freehold must be some sort of a small farm-ring with those farms situated near to one another.Less than a small community or even a village,thus.

Can anyone pinpoint me a book reference or source with specific "Shallain Freehold" info?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Reefy Posted - 23 Jan 2007 : 22:33:59
*pines for SM or CoS:W style regional sourcebooks for the Dales and Cormyr*
Jorkens Posted - 23 Jan 2007 : 06:44:23
Well, Dalelands may not be the best realms product, but I do believe its far better than the Cormyr book. There are some interesting bits in the Dalelands, but with Volo's guide to the area, one got a superior source.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 23 Jan 2007 : 00:46:19
Sorry about that, I see what you are talking about now. Up to the northeast of Shadowdale proper, almost in Daggerdale . . . got you . . . and nope, I got nothing. Sorry about the misunderstanding.
Faraer Posted - 23 Jan 2007 : 00:45:34
I'm not so fond of it, or of the follow-up Cormyr book. For the page count, they don't have all that much information beyond what's in the 1993 campaign set, and not being written by Ed they inevitably don't convey the feel of the Realms anything like as well as the Volo's Guides and aren't nearly as dense. Still, there's some good stuff there, and I'm glad to have them as an additional resource.
Francius Posted - 23 Jan 2007 : 00:05:59
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Page 42. They're family-run farmsteads of no more than a few dozen inhabitants. In Shadowdale they swear fealty to the local lord, but maintain much autonomy. In the Dales they're often remote, and the land is peppered with abandoned freeholds that fell to monster or brigand attacks.

Very clear,thanks.

Man,that Dalelands book is a piece of written art:
Well written,excellent format,easy to pore through and well mapped.It should be an example of how good resource books ought to be printed.
Wish there was more material like it even in the 3.5 era...
Faraer Posted - 22 Jan 2007 : 23:51:08
Page 42. They're family-run farmsteads of no more than a few dozen inhabitants. In Shadowdale they swear fealty to the local lord, but maintain much autonomy. In the Dales they're often remote, and the land is peppered with abandoned freeholds that fell to monster or brigand attacks.
Francius Posted - 22 Jan 2007 : 23:37:27
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

We know what freeholds are in general, but there are only a few references to the Shallain Hold in particular, such as in FRS1 The Dalelands, and no substantial information. It's of many freeholds in the Dales, and may have made it onto maps through featuring in Ed's campaign.

Then can you give me a brief about freeholds and the page of The Dalelands book in which Shallain Freehold info appears?
Francius Posted - 22 Jan 2007 : 23:33:52
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Do you mean the Sharin Freehold? Its actually part of Mistledale, to the northwest of the dwarven villege of Glen, if this is the place you are refering to.

Thanks for the Sharin Freehold info,but no dude,that is not the place I was referring to.

It's actually called Shallain Freehold and as I said before it's located 50 miles east of the Shadowdale plateau in the Shadowdale area.
You can look it up in the 2nd edition map of the FRCS as it seems that in 3rd edition the maps are in a larger scale and thus less detailed concerning the small settlements and villages.

Anyhow,can anyone provide me with feedback about Shallain Freehold?
Faraer Posted - 22 Jan 2007 : 23:29:24
We know what freeholds are in general, but there are only a few references to the Shallain Hold in particular, such as in FRS1 The Dalelands, and no substantial information. It's of many freeholds in the Dales, and may have made it onto maps through featuring in Ed's campaign.
Victor_ograygor Posted - 22 Jan 2007 : 22:41:29
(See Volo's Guide to the Dalelands, p. 79.)
KnightErrantJR Posted - 22 Jan 2007 : 21:57:43
Do you mean the Sharin Freehold? Its actually part of Mistledale, to the northwest of the dwarven villege of Glen, if this is the place you are refering to.

Ulwen Sharin is one of the Councilors of Mistledale, the council that serves under the High Councilor in the dales. Ulwen Sharin, according to the 2nd Edition Dalelands accessories, is the owner of the wealthy and successful Sharin Freehold, a large farm in eastern Mistledale. In the sourcebook it says that she is a regal gentlelady and land owner, and she is the representative of the eastern Mistledale citizens.

Other than the owner of the farm, we don't really know much about them.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000