Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Obould chosen of Grumussh (sp?)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Grandmaster Kane Posted - 22 Jan 2007 : 12:10:46
Doe anybody have any idea of Obulds stat, Gear (Besides his +!Flaming greatsword.) or Chosen one ablilities?

He seem to be alot tougher than he was originally so im adding 10/1 dag reduction
He seem much stronger and swifter so +4 str and +4 Dex (Bull str & cat grace)
He also seems alot smarter so + 6 intl (at least)

- 10/1 damage reduction
- +4 Str
- +4 Dex
- +6 Intel

Is this even close? doe anybody know? If so post here.

(All stats are risen from his base stats in Fr capaingn(sp?) setting)
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alisttair Posted - 09 May 2008 : 15:48:18
Wish I could go to the wizards forums to check that out, but unfortunately, that cannot be done because the bulk of my computer time is at work and the WotC website is blocked from my job computer.
ShadezofDis Posted - 09 May 2008 : 15:30:24
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Indeed.

I'm pretty certain that the version of Obould in the FRCS technically exists after The Orc King in terms of where it falls on the timeline. Keep in mind that the RAS novels have, for a while now at least, been behind the official "current year" on the FR timeline.

Also consider that RAS has never been one to be too concerned about official stats.

Yep, which you'll also find copious amounts of discussion about on the wizards boards.

I do really suggest checking them out, Oboulds been talked to death on those boards.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 09 May 2008 : 14:34:09
Indeed.

I'm pretty certain that the version of Obould in the FRCS technically exists after The Orc King in terms of where it falls on the timeline. Keep in mind that the RAS novels have, for a while now at least, been behind the official "current year" on the FR timeline.

Also consider that RAS has never been one to be too concerned about official stats.
ShadezofDis Posted - 08 May 2008 : 14:49:44
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

The version in the FRCS

Do a search on the Wizards forums, there have been a legion of threads about Obould and what his stats should be, etc.
Alisttair Posted - 08 May 2008 : 14:40:21
The version in the FRCS
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 07 May 2008 : 14:42:29
Is Obould more powerful (as far as his CR goes) after The Orc King? I don't think we have any way of knowing that. More powerful than which version of him? The version in The Two Swords?
Lord Donnachie Posted - 07 May 2008 : 14:35:17
worth more exps
Alisttair Posted - 07 May 2008 : 14:10:45
quote:

quote:

Would most of us agree he is more powerfull now after the Orc King?

Define "powerful."

And more influence
Alisttair Posted - 07 May 2008 : 14:10:01
quote:

quote:

Define "powerful."

Higher Challenge Rating
sfdragon Posted - 07 May 2008 : 09:43:11
, well id ditch the fighter lvls for orc warlord myself......

after the ritual, yeah id say add the max effect of those 3 spells to his stats.
however it was a ritual, so it might be +8 to those stats as well......
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 06 May 2008 : 17:15:26
quote:

Define "powerful."
Alisttair Posted - 06 May 2008 : 16:35:44
Aravine Posted - 06 May 2008 : 16:25:30
The thing about gods, and this is all my opinion, which I'm entitled to, is that all the panteonic dieties MUST reflect the people that call on them. That is, let's just say the Elves, being chaotic inclined are freer with their sexuality(hypothetically), than the Dieties should be the same. Zeus reflected the Greeks "freedom". In other words, the Gods are a reflection of the people that worship them. Since the ability to attract followers dictates how powerful a diety is, It would only make sense that they would "cater" to the mainstream followers. so back to the Elves, if they elves are freer with their sexuality than humans, and the dieties do not follow that, than the Elves would be disinclined to follow that particular diety. it is essentially like a presidential race. more people will vote for a canidate who follows their set of "values". the man(or woman) with more votes gets the powerful job, in this case the presidency. In Faerun it works in a similar way. It says somewhere in the FRCS that people will choose a diety that most directly impacts thier life. All Elves venerate the Elven pantheon, But what makes an Individual choose one over the other? If it happens to be their sexuality, that hypothetical elf will choose the one most like itself, promoting that diety, and that diety gets a little more power.

Now there are certain gods that I don't beleive should be interacting with mortals in this way. the Primal gods are some of these, namely, Shar and Selune, and I don't care what was written, Mystra, although this makes a little more sense, since magic is so pivitol to the Realms.

In my opinion, a Pantheon MUST be a represntation of the people that belong to the same name, in all their aspects.

Wow, talk about thread-jacked!
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 06 May 2008 : 15:57:39
quote:

So is there any new update to Obould's possible stats at this point??

Not that I've heard!
ShadezofDis Posted - 06 May 2008 : 13:21:16
Ummm. . . for 3.X? Because he probably isn't around in 4E.
Alisttair Posted - 06 May 2008 : 12:58:06
So is there any new update to Obould's possible stats at this point??
Aureus Posted - 28 Jan 2007 : 21:35:30
in Faerun, I imagine a god in itself as a bodiless being in the prime material who to interact directly with mortals compress some of their divine power into a powerful form, its avartar

I imagine the avartar as the (weaker) form the gods would have if the martals could see them in their divine form, on their level of existance and power
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 26 Jan 2007 : 22:56:30
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

That's a nice reply.

Thank you.

quote:
I wonder if there is a link between a deity and their avatar/s here? Maybe the higher in divine rank a deity is, the less removed they are from mortal feelings, emotions and motivations.

Actually, the higher in rank they are, the more removed from humanity they tend to be.

quote:
In the real world, some catholics identify more strongly with saints then with their god. Maybe this is the role of a specific pantheon's demi-gods or avatars in Faerūn, they're nearer to the mortal realm and have a greater empathy.

It has indeed been argued that the Catholic saints fulfill a similar role for some Christians in the way the pagan gods used to--much like true *gods* of other religions, the saints have specific areas of interest and are believed to take an interest in the affairs of mortals, as well as being inclined to intercede on their behalf.

At any rate I agree with Kuje's answer...heck, even when I was growing up I was told that one couldn't actually *see* God without dying as well, so I don't see why something similar couldn't apply in Faerun.
Kuje Posted - 26 Jan 2007 : 17:38:32
Well, avatars are part of the deity because if you, as a mortal, saw the real deity, it would drive you insane, or you would fall in love with it for the rest of your life, etc, because of the vast amounts of power that deities have. So, deities create lesser versions of themselves (i.e. avatars) to interact with mortals.
Kiaransalyn Posted - 26 Jan 2007 : 09:19:29
quote:

I think it partly depends on what the word "god" means to a person.

That's a nice reply.

I wonder if there is a link between a deity and their avatar/s here? Maybe the higher in divine rank a deity is, the less removed they are from mortal feelings, emotions and motivations. Maybe a deity itself doesn't make love but its avatar does?

In the real world, some catholics identify more strongly with saints then with their god. Maybe this is the role of a specific pantheon's demi-gods or avatars in Faerūn, they're nearer to the mortal realm and have a greater empathy.

I'll see if I can give my ideas more clarity. For example, the goddess Chauntea is concerned with agriculture in general and with summer. Maybe her avatars are concerned with specific regions (for example, areas that are said to be sacred to her), specific crops or with the finer details. Obviously, at the lowest level she has her clerics.

I'm sure someone has articulated this much better and much earlier than me. Also we've moved away somewhat from the original question raised in this scroll.

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 25 Jan 2007 : 23:39:07
I think it partly depends on what the word "god" means to a person.

If one believes that gods are all-powerful, all-knowing, beyond the comprehension of mankind, they (most likely) wouldn't feel the drive to reproduce or even have sex for pleasure the way humans and other animals do.

However, if one believes that the gods are much more anthropomorphic than that, possess human feelings, needs, and desires (and are therefore imperfect and not all-powerful), and are interested in the affairs of mortals, there's no reason why they should be somehow beyond the things that mortals do. As it so happens, this is what the deities of Faerun are supposed to be like.
Kiaransalyn Posted - 25 Jan 2007 : 13:10:28
quote:
Originally posted by Weiser_Cain

*withdraws in disgust*

That's a shame.

My understanding of your point of view was that you disapprove of deities succumbing to mortal urges. Personally, I think deities are above such things but may use sex to advance their portfolio. (Zeus' actions could be explained as him taking his role as father of the gods a bit too literally.) In my campaigns, Kiaransalee torments her worshipper because she is evil.

As regards sex gods in general, I think the sex drive in most mortals is so strong and at times so unfathomable that many would need to call on a higher power to help them understand it.
Weiser_Cain Posted - 25 Jan 2007 : 12:52:26
*withdraws in disgust*
Grandmaster Kane Posted - 25 Jan 2007 : 11:58:01
Im more of a shar man myself but sune is nothing to scoff at
Aureus Posted - 24 Jan 2007 : 20:12:53
I imagine an avartar of Sune rewarding one of her priests for succending a important quest for her, now that would be a reward^^
Jorkens Posted - 24 Jan 2007 : 19:22:49
At least with the system of avatars, where the gods take a mortal shape of sorts, there would logically be physical relationships between mortals and some gods. From explaining strange powers to "epic" campaigns a la Gilgamesh, such happening can be used in many ways in a campaign.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Jan 2007 : 17:19:23
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

As for the gods having sex with mortals part. As this is a common happening in most mythologies I have no problem with this.

Indeed. Especially certain deities like Zeus... As godchecker.com says about him:

quote:
ZEUS is married to the long-suffering HERA, but spends most of his time lusting after Goddesses, mortals, animals, and indeed anything that will keep still long enough.

While that is an extreme example, I don't have a problem with a deity having sex with a mortal -- within reason. I wouldn't expect an avatar of Torm to pop into Suzail for a quickie, but I can see some high-powered, insanely special ritual of Sune's clergy involving some quality time with an avatar of the goddess.
Kiaransalyn Posted - 24 Jan 2007 : 15:06:58
I don't mind the idea of gods and mortals getting frisky. It does depend on the deity, of course.

With my main player character, Kiaransalee visits his dreams on a regular basis and makes her apparent charms and talents quite clear. Unfortunately, my character castrated himself as an act of devotion to her and in order to be accepted to her clergy. (She said she didn't accept males, so he decided to disqualify himself as a male.) Still, it serves him right for worshipping an evil diety.
Jorkens Posted - 24 Jan 2007 : 14:10:49
quote:

Originally posted by The Sage.
It's bad enough that nearly every major deity seems to have some form of Chosen in 3e. Gone are the days when Mystra's Chosen represented the only unique beings in FR with special abilities granted to them by a deity for a specific reason

I agree, and I personally still miss these days dearly. The gods arms-race is one of the things with the 3ed. that bothered me the most. That and the map changing of course.

As for the gods having sex with mortals part. As this is a common happening in most mythologies I have no problem with this.
Grandmaster Kane Posted - 24 Jan 2007 : 14:00:02
quote:
Originally posted by Weiser_Cain

quote:
Originally posted by Grandmaster Kane

Lol ^

Having sex with your god is the ultimate sign of being chosen (as in the case of Elminster)
so i would hate to see gruumsh and obould coupling *barfs in a corner*

I think they chould created an up to date Core rule book dictating the stat gains you get from being the chosen one of each specific god (bane and mystra which are in Frc could also be included) an have current chosen ones (epic or otherwise) included compendium style

I frown on the idea of gods that don't have sex in their portfolio having sex with a mortal and I frown on sex gods in general. I'd like to think the gods are beyond that.

Apperently gods need sex to (Read the elminster series)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000