Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Shaar

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Draeden Posted - 19 Nov 2006 : 09:10:33
I was just wondering if anyone could direct me to information concerning the Shaar?

It seems to fall between the cracks, Empires of Sands and The Shining South.

I am interested in canon and noncanon information...equally.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Draeden Posted - 27 Nov 2006 : 14:45:55
Interesting ideas!

Thanks
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 22 Nov 2006 : 20:59:02
Remember though the danger of making fantasy peoples too close to real world ones.
ShadowJack Posted - 22 Nov 2006 : 12:54:35
I would agree with Bluenose. The Bantu of the African Savannah would be a good comparison. You would have the small fortified "family" groupings that are then part of a larger tribe. The other non-human groups could be either semi-nomadic or nomadic. I think it is Shining South that talks about the annual tribal meeting where the human groups come together to dicuss issues. I believe it also says that some non-humans attend as well. By having these cultures adopt this type of lifestyle you can avoid making them too similar to the Horse nomads north of the Lake of Steam. I cannot remember what they were called, they were detailed in Empires of the Shining Sea, they were loosely based on the Bedouin cultures of the Middle East.
Bluenose Posted - 22 Nov 2006 : 11:41:15
Personally I'd treat it as being more African savannah than Florida. It would still be hot but generally much drier, though you'd also get sudden heavy rainstorms. Migration would follow the rains, if there was a regular pattern, or be more random if there wasn't.

I don't really like the idea of more human nomads, especially not if they are going to be horse nomads like the Tuigan and others. Instead I'd look again at an African feel, with something perhaps like the Bantu. You'd have settled, fortified villages in areas with year round water, which would compete with each other over resources but unite against outsiders. Raiding would be a normal cultural activity, probably with some fairly strict rules about what you shouldn't do when you're dealing with your own culture, but which foreigners don't know or don't follow and which can therefore be broken when dealing with them.
Draeden Posted - 20 Nov 2006 : 19:01:35
What about the climate, does anyone have a feeling for what it is comparable to?

I was thinking that it would be a lot like Florida, hot, humid, ample rain, where the temperatures seldom fall below 50 degress F.

What do you think?
The Sage Posted - 20 Nov 2006 : 01:57:12
Yes, there are thri-kreen in the Shaar, and in other savanna-like regions, as noted most recently in 3e Shining South.

There are also thri-kreen in the Mindulgulph Mercenary Company which operates in the region, as noted in Gold & Glory.
Dhomal Posted - 20 Nov 2006 : 01:33:27
Hello-

I agree with the assessment of the possible raiders mentioned by dwarvenranger.

However - dont I remember correctly that there are Thri-Kreen in the Shaar also? If so - I would add them to the liste of raiders, along with the gnolls and humans.

Dhomal
dwarvenranger Posted - 20 Nov 2006 : 01:09:19
I would agree with idea that there is no central authority, although there can be alliances between the different nomadic groups, probably just over hunting range and the like though. I don't see the loxo, wemics or centaurs doing much raiding of settlements outside their traditional hunting areas, but the gnolls and humans I can see doing so.
Draeden Posted - 19 Nov 2006 : 23:47:50
Thank you ShadowJack and The Sage, I will look through those sources.

I was wondering though, do you get the feeling that the inhabitants of the Shaar are similar to the Tuigan of the Endless Wastes?

An by that I mean,

No central authority, nomadic hunters, raiding outlying civilazations for some of their luxury items, and so forth?
ShadowJack Posted - 19 Nov 2006 : 13:06:10
If you look at Ed's Border Kingdoms articles there are a few snippets about the Shaar... I believe Serpent Knigdoms also has a little lore on the Shaar. It is a case where you will have to read through many sources to get all the snippets that have been published on the area.
The Sage Posted - 19 Nov 2006 : 11:58:55
There isn't a lot of detail for the Shaar.

1e/2e FR boxed sets have a little. As does the 3e Shining South tome. Ed's Elminster Speaks articles at WotC provide a few tidbits about the region. Scott Bennie's Old Empires as well.

Also, Powers & Pantheons and 3e's Races of Faerun.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000