Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Halruaa?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
poilbrun Posted - 19 Mar 2003 : 15:16:52
Hello all!

I'm actually thinking about making my players go on a little sidetreck in Halruaa (after all, a land where magic is common can only be fun!). However, there does not seem to be much information about this country. Could someone please point me in the right direction, whether it be to rpg books, novels, or website?

Thanks!
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dragon Cultist Posted - 04 Jan 2004 : 17:31:09
If you can get hold of it, the following 2nd Edition sourcebook holds at least a primer on Halruaa:

“The Shining South” (coded FR16). This accessory, published in 1993, has info (regrettably all bone-dry and not very inspiring to read- but Hey! It’s Realmslore) on
-Halruaa
-Dambrath
-Luiren
-Durpar, Var, & Estagund
-Ulgarth

...and also includes stats for two native monsters: Dark Trees and Laraken. Interestingly, the laraken returns in Elaine Cunningham’s “Counselors & Kings” trilogy.

Halruaan mages, as a character kit (2E predecessor of the prestige class, sort of), can be found in:
“Wizards and Rogues of the Realms” (1995).

There’s also some scattered tidbits of lore on Haluraa in:
“Pages from the Mages” (1995). Admittedly, you have to look very hard among the tales told about wizard spellbooks and all the characters involved.

All in all, it's quite a task to assemble anything substantial for Halruaa. I know, because one of my characters is a Halruaan mage (LG hm W5 by now) so I've been doing some extra research to aid roleplaying.
Lord Rad Posted - 20 Mar 2003 : 14:12:52
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

Three recent novels are also set in Halruaa, Magehound is one of them, I can't recall the titles of the other two...
And if I'm not mistaken, they're written by Elaine Cunningham...

The novels in question are the Councellors and Kings series:

Book 1 - The Magehound
Book 2 - The Floodgate
Book 3 - The Wizardwar

Quite an enjoyable series!
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 20 Mar 2003 : 09:45:17
Three recent novels are also set in Halruaa, Magehound is one of them, I can't recall the titles of the other two...
And if I'm not mistaken, they're written by Elaine Cunningham...
poilbrun Posted - 20 Mar 2003 : 07:45:16
I'll definitely go and check my 2nd edition books to see if I have the Shining South. Yes, the FRCS has a map of Halruaa, but not much information about the country itself. At least, not enough to my taste to set a campaign there!

Thanks!
Echon Posted - 19 Mar 2003 : 19:55:06
I also believe that the FRCS has a map. If not I can likely provide you with one.

-Echon
Bookwyrm Posted - 19 Mar 2003 : 18:35:57
There was also that Murder in Halruaa book, but I don't know if that's what you're looking for.
Lord Rad Posted - 19 Mar 2003 : 15:43:48
The 2nd edition product The Shining South has the most information on Halruaa. Also check out the novels in the Councellors and Kings series.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000