Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Waterdeep's Navy

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Feb 2006 : 06:50:57
I wanted to see if there was any info out there before I queried Ed... I'm not recalling having read any anywhere.

We know Waterdeep has a navy. Do we know how many ships, or their names? I've seen some ships listed before, but I believe it was all non-canon stuff.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Feb 2006 : 17:06:48
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well, that's about 55 ships, then... But we still don't have any names.
I did a quick scan of the PDFs for both Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast and Volo's Guide to Waterdeep in the hopes of finding some particular names for ships in and around Waterdeep, but found little.

I think it's time to go to Ed, or even Steven.

I'll ping Steven, first, before I add to Ed's load of questions... I"ve already got two outstanding requests in his pile already!
The Sage Posted - 27 Feb 2006 : 16:19:00
quote:

I did a quick scan of the PDFs for both Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast and Volo's Guide to Waterdeep in the hopes of finding some particular names for ships in and around Waterdeep, but found little.

I think it's time to go to Ed, or even Steven.
Volo Posted - 27 Feb 2006 : 11:08:52
Unfortunately, the only sources I know of for ship names, namely Pirates of the Fallen Stars and Sea of Fallen Stars, don't deal with the Sword Coast. But they may have one or two references in there. Good luck!
Dargoth Posted - 26 Feb 2006 : 22:02:56
There might be at least one ship name in the 2nd novel of Elaine Cuninghams Liriel serie
ericlboyd Posted - 26 Feb 2006 : 20:07:05
Sorry, not much in the way of cut Realmslore on Waterdeep's navy. I believe there might be some ship names in the rumors section of FR1 or FR5 or possibly City of Splendors [2e], but that's about it.

Here's one little tidbit of crunch. If you have Arms & Equipment Guide, this will make sense.

Raker: Colossal vehicle; Profession (sailor) +4; Spd wind x 25 ft. (nautical average), oars 20 ft. (nautical good); Overall AC –3; Section hp 60 (hardness 5); Section AC 3; Rigging 80 hp (hardness 0), AC 1; Ram 12d6; Face 80 ft. by 20 ft.; Height 10 ft. (draft 10 ft.); SA Ramming prow; Crew 120 (36 rowers, 70 marines); Cargo 5 tons; Cost 20,000 gp.
A raker can accommodate one heavy catapult, two light catapults, or two ballistas. Two launchesAEG are used as lifeboats and troop transports (not included in the price).
Striker: Gargantuan vehicle; Profession (sailor) +2; Spd wind x 15 ft. (nautical average), oars 10 ft. (nautical good); Overall AC –1; Section hp 40 (hardness 5); Section AC 3; Rigging 40 hp (hardness 0), AC 3; Ram 8d6; Face 60 ft. by 20 ft.; Height 10 ft. (draft 5 ft.); SA Ramming prow; Crew 36 (15 rowers, 15 marines); Cargo 5 tons; Cost 5,000 gp.
A striker can accommodate a single light catapult or ballista mounted on deck.
Transport: Colossal vehicle; Profession (sailor) –2; Spd wind x 15 ft. (nautical poor), oars 20 ft. (nautical average); Overall AC –3; Section hp 80 (hardness 5); Section AC 3; Rigging 160 hp (hardness 0), AC 1; Ram 18d6; Face 130 ft. by 20 ft.; Height 20 ft. (draft 15 ft.); SA Ramming prow; Crew 200 (160 rowers) (plus 200 passengers); Cargo 50 tons; Cost 30,000 gp.
A transport has enough flat deck space to accommodate three heavy catapults or six ballistas or light catapults. Twelve launchesAEG are used as lifeboats and troop transports (not included in the price).

--Eric
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Feb 2006 : 19:10:55
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Wooly,

check this site of waterdeeps ship registry. it has quite a few ships with about 5 navy vessals, with names and captain.

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/waterdeep-locations.htm#ships

not sure if it is cannon though

Yeah, I've seen that site, but I, too, am unsure of how canon it is.
scererar Posted - 26 Feb 2006 : 18:05:26
Wooly,

check this site of waterdeeps ship registry. it has quite a few ships with about 5 navy vessals, with names and captain.

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/waterdeep-locations.htm#ships

not sure if it is cannon though
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Feb 2006 : 16:12:07
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

I wanted to see if there was any info out there before I queried Ed... I'm not recalling having read any anywhere.

We know Waterdeep has a navy. Do we know how many ships, or their names? I've seen some ships listed before, but I believe it was all non-canon stuff.

Wooly Wooly Wooly

See page 34-35 of City of Splendors (The new one)

Dargoth Posted - 26 Feb 2006 : 13:50:23
quote:

Wooly Wooly Wooly

See page 34-35 of City of Splendors (The new one)
Lady Kazandra Posted - 26 Feb 2006 : 07:49:25
Maybe Steven or Eric have the occasional snippet of info sitting somewhere on there HDs that they could share...

I'd at least wait to hear from either of them before asking Ed.
Kuje Posted - 26 Feb 2006 : 07:47:11
I can't recall much, if anything, about it.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000