Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dragon Orbs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kitira Gildragon Posted - 24 Feb 2003 : 16:11:11
Do we know where any of the Dragon Orbs are and who has them?
29   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beowulf Posted - 03 Jul 2004 : 17:21:44
Well met Sage!

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

A very interesting attempt Beowulf .

It reads as though you've drawn some elements from established material, namely Lord of the Rings and Dragonlance. I'd like to hear more about how this campaign developed, if you're interested in doing so?

I'd be willing to expound at considerable length actually! Of course, with respect to the limits of mortal patience, much of what is going on is the responsibility of a certain diviner from the Cormyrean town of Wheloon (hail Sarp!). His name, Hector Sirus.

When Hector began his career he spoke much of Elminster and heroism, and what a great and heroic mage he aspired to be. A diviner.

So, it so happened that the band of scholars and mercs. he hooked up with were in the employ of a merchant who had them tracking down stolen property. After going to the eastern reaches of the Hullack Forest to the depths of the Farsea Marsh for this merchant (killing a couple of Harpers and a Purple Dragon along the way), it was at last revealed that this merchant was indeed an agent of a foreign doomsday cult, the Cult of Tiamat to be specific. And of course, the Cult now knew the fate of Sammaster's phylactery and remains.

And so it was that Hector led the way continuing the association with the cult. Afterall, they offered free training, strong and beautiful companionship, transport to new and exotic locales, ie. Unther, and good pay.

Of the assembled Cormyreans and Daggerdalesmen, it was the ex-Zhentilar soldier, Tyros of Calaunt, that most opposed the continued association, but everybody was really choked at him at the time ... having only recently discovered his connection to the Zhents. That and he recently cut off three of Hector's fingers for screwing up on watch.

And so, the band followed the Cult out to Unther. During the voyage both Hector and the disgruntled warrior Hrek of Daggerdale offically joined the cult. And not long after their arrival, a chance encounter with Gilgeam's warriors in the ruins of Uruk seperated the new members from Tyros, Harmoth of Immersea, Corwin of Wheloon, and the CoT agent Yolandra. This band made their way south across the mountians and then west to Innarlith, before at last striking northward through the Reach and at last arriving "home" in Sembia. There, they would rise to some degree of repute.

As for Hector and Hrek, after escaping the ruin and Gilgeam's men, they began a quest for an artifact called the Necronomicon. This ancient tome was penned during the fall of the Raurin empire by an author remembered only as the Lost. It contians the journal of the Lost, from his first meeting with an ancient, nameless evil to the atrocities he commited during the great westward migrations in the name of this evil, and all that. It allows even the unskilled some measure of ability in summoning lower planar creatures and raising undead. In the hands of one skilled in the Art ....

During the course of this quest, Hector sacrificed young children to beings of great evil in order to learn the dreaded tomes location, until at last it was tracked to a ruin in the most isolated reaches of the Eastern Shaar. It was here that Hector was nearly destroyed along with all of his companions, by a large pride of hearty displacer beasts. As the Cormyrean mage saw each of his companions fall to the sneaky fiends, he fled for his life (1 hp) into the long crumbled ruins. He found an old staircase spiralling down into darkness, and continued his flight ...... at last finding himself in the chilling prescence of the Lost.

Here, in exchange for greater power and continued life, Hector sold his soul and spent many months under the tutelage of the fiend.

Returning to the west, Hector soon ran into his old companions in the streets of Ordulin. There they undertook a mission to an old Sembian-Gondian prison camp known of old as the House of Toil and Sweat. There, the situiation conspired such that Hector killed his old "lover" Yolandra, who thought he was trying to betray the band (pulling up the rope leading to the second level and second line of defense) as they defended the lower levels of the prison from orcish incursion. He then had his bodyguard kill Corwin, who correctly thought he killed Yolandra.

In the end Hector fled back to Ordulin, where he provided the Church of Gond with the info. they required and collected the mission fee.

As for the others, of them all, only Tyros survived. He made his way back to Ordulin with Corwin's corpse, and also got in touch with the Church of Gond. Hehehehehehehehehehehehehe. So, you can imagine, and Hector quickly fled to the Sembian villa of his former CoT employer, and hooked up with them again. This led him back to the Ruins of the Lost on the Eastern Shaar, where a great battle was fought with the fiend's minions, and at length, the Necronomicon claimed by the cult.

Soon after their teleportation back to Ordulin, Hector would have a lapse of conscience and a falling out with the CoT, but now they had both Sammmaster's phylactery and the Necronomicon. And know they could resurrect the western prophet of their cult, and via the might of the Necronomicon, reunited him with his mother and god, Tiamat. Together, they would bring back the Time of Dragons as spoken of in the ancient fables of the elves and in the prophecies of Maglas.

I posted a timeline for the Sunset Vale a few days ago, which carries tells of what follows, but really, if you can stand it, feel free to ask!!

King of the Geats

The Sage Posted - 03 Jul 2004 : 05:53:47
A very interesting attempt Beowulf .

It reads as though you've drawn some elements from established material, namely Lord of the Rings and Dragonlance. I'd like to hear more about how this campaign developed, if you're interested in doing so?
Beowulf Posted - 30 Jun 2004 : 16:43:27
Well met!

Here is my attempt to insert the Orbs of Dragonkind (as per the 3rd edition) into my FR campaign ....

Little is known about the true origin of the Orbs of Dragonkind, but according to legend Corellon Larethian appeared to elfkind soon after they began to unlock the secrets of magic. He bequeathed upon the elves 5 orbs of great power that would give them the necessary might to throw of the yoke of wyrmkind and enable their culture to flourish. And so it was, with legend going on to tell how many an elfin knight used one orb or another to master and slay dragon after dragon, until at length legend became history and the great elfin civilizations of Aryvander, Illefarn, Meyeritar, Shantel Othreier, and Keltormir had emerged along the west coast of Faerun.

By this time, with the mastery of elfin magic and the great reduction in the might and numbers of dragonkind, the need for the orbs had diminished substantially. Nevertheless, they continued to hold symbolic value and so each of the great elfin civilization kept one orb within its greatest temple to Corellon.

Throughout the course of the Crown Wars (-12,000 DR to -9,000 DR) history began to lose track of the fabled orbs. It is believed that, at one time, the realm of Aryvander had come into possession of at least three of the orbs via it‘s conquests, while the dark elves of Ilythiir are known to have used enslaved dragons to destroy the realm of Shantel Othreier, and so might have come into possession of one themsleves.

As for the Green Orb, it is known to have been carried eastward in the wake of the Fifth Crown Wars to the great forest Arcorar, now known as Cormanthor. It was brought forth from the remains of Aryvander to help the pioneers deal with the great number of dragons that made their home in the verdant wood.

Eventually the great elfin realms of Rystall, Jhyrennstar, Uvaeren, Sembreholm sprung into being within Arcorar, and of these Uvaeren was the greatest. So rich in knowledge were the elves of Uvaeren, that their land became known as the Lorelands. Amongst their many fabled librariums, it is told that none rivalled that of Intevar‘s, for it is said to have contained the collective knowledge of all elves. And amongst its many grand temples, it is said that none rivalled that of Corellon Larethian, for it was here that the Green Orb was housed.

The glory of Uvaeren was brought to an abrupt end in the year -5,000 DR however, when a great meteor fell from the heavens and devastated the Lorelands. While it is unknown if the temple in any way survived this destruction, the remaining ruins were in the hands of the increasingly present Drow within 100 years, and they held them until at last forced out in the year -1,354 DR; roughly 2,600 years after the birth of the city of Cormanthor (-3983 DR).

Little mention is ever again made of the Green Orb, save one...

In the year -982 DR a green dragon of great power named Venominhandar began to rampage in the southeastern woods. Such was the potency and endurance of this wyrm that the elves of Cormanthyr quickly called for a quest, to the ruins of Corellon’s temple in old Uvaeren; there to find and retrieve the Orb. The questing elves however, never returned, and the might of Venom, as he came to be called, continued to wax.

For over 700 years Venom plagued the elves, destroying their communities, driving them out, and using his fell magic to twist and tangle the woods of the great domain he had claimed in the southeast. His personal power was unrivalled amongst dragonkind, and he commanded a veritable army of wyverns, black dragons and green dragons. Nevertheless, it was in the year -206 DR. that the elfin hero Jassin Aunglor, armed with a fabled moonblade, at last challenged Venom himself. This took place in the wyrm’s lair beneath Haptooth Hill, and it was here that both Venom and Jassin met their ends; as the cavern complex the wyrm inhabited collapsed in upon them.

Of Venom’s offspring, only the terrible wyrm named Sessrellastrin (aka Manastorm) is known to have outlived her father. Here lair is thought to have been located somewhere south of her sires, but she was last seen bathing in a river in the year 0 DR, and both her fate and the location of her lair are unknown.

Some scholars believe that Venom’s initial rampages were strategically aimed at forcing the elves to reveal the location of the Green Orb. They believe that the band of elves sent to locate and retrieve the orb were somehow followed by agents of the wyrm, and eventually slaughtered by them. With their murder, or so the theories go, these agents brought the orb back to Venom, who then used it’s power to raise and command his draconic army. Other scholars have denounced such theories as overly speculative, and say that Venom was more likely a mere throw back to the fearsome dragons of the elder age.

As for the Orb, the more conservative scholars believe that it was destroyed when the meteor hit. Others still argue that it was borne off into the Underdark during the 4,000 years that the Drow controlled the ruins.

-------

Unbeknownst to history, the Orb was indeed stolen away by agents of Venominhandur, who used it’s power in combination with his charisma to control all lesser wyrms.

When the terrible wyrm at last began to feel old age and weakness beginning to creep into his bones, he placed the Orb in the safe keeping of his mightiest offspring ... the green wyrm Sessrellastrin or Manastorm. It was not long after that Venom and the elfin champion slew each other in the wyrm’s lair beneath Haptooth Hill.

For along time Manastorm held the Orb as a part of her horde, fearful of curse that it was said to carry ... as demonstrated in the death of her father and mother. In time, she was lured to a meeting with an old companion and potential mate, the green wyrm Shan’thantros, and ambushed by a number of black and green dragons. The battle was ferocious, with Sessrellastrin tearing the throat from at least three wyrms, Shan’thantros amongst them, but in the end the daughter of Venom was slain. Each of the survivors claimed the Orb as it‘s own, offering various reasons to back their claims, but in the
end reason failed and a general melee erupted. When all was said and done, all were slain .... save for the wiley young black Dragon known as Zarlandris. The black wyrm had shrunk from the onslaught of the battle, only to emerge following it’s climax to claim the final victory.

Thus, was the Orb carried to Zarlandris' lair in Glaun Bog

In later years the descendent of Venom known as Dretchroyaster would rampage across the Dales in search of both the Orb and vengence, never to find the latter.

Ultimately, I have the Orb winding up in possession of Crom the Fallen ... a unique being of great power who lives atop a mountian in the NW Greyspeak Mountains, and who has long been worhsipped as a god by the barbarian tribe of the adjacent forest.

Offspring of Gaut

The Sage Posted - 24 Jul 2003 : 04:50:57
Mournblade said -
quote:
Especially Sage, I would like to hear why you think the US government is better than autralia. You know many americans think Australia is an island near... Canada?

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I did not mean to say that the US government is better than the Australian. I understand that the US government and the country has it's problems (don't they all ), what I meant by that post was that my decision (at that particular point of time) to move was purely motivated by easier access to gaming materials. In retrospect I can see how that mistake of interpretation can be made. I apologise if I incorrectly stated my opinion.

And, since this current topic has the potential to cause problems (basically of the 'my country is better than your country' type), I will simply close by saying that if I had the choice (which I do), I will most likely remain here for a long time to come.

Bookwyrm Posted - 24 Jul 2003 : 00:53:05
I do believe we've talked about this subject before. Myself? I haven't faught for the country. And I won't. I'll fight for the people, if I have to. And that's why I (personally) am staying. I believe this country can be made better. That's one of the reasons I want to be a teacher (besides the fact that I just plain like helping people learn new things). That's the sort of fight I'll gladly join in.
Mournblade Posted - 23 Jul 2003 : 21:30:36
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Yes, I know. But when it comes to source material releases, here in Australia we normally have to wait at least another month after it's release in the US, for it to be released here. It's one of the many reasons (the others being government, and several other issues outside the scope of this scroll) I have seriously considered moving to the US some time soon.

Oh sage! HAH! Yeah the government of the United States is better than Autralia! WHATEVER! The USA system is so BROKE it needs to be radically rebuilt. The popular vote can't even get the president we want, and as a first world country our education and health system is terrible. Wait the extra month sage... I certainly would.

Yeah I have heard the if you don't like it get out. Then I tell them did you fight for the country? No? I have. so I can say whatever I want about it

Sorry I digress from the scroll.

In order to preserve this scroll feel free to send me email. Especially Sage, I would like to hear why you think the US government is better than autralia. You know many americans think Australia is an island near... Canada?

our lack of global education here really bothers me sorry.

The Sage Posted - 23 Jul 2003 : 08:38:54
Anyway, getting back to topic...well sort of..., zemd if you are still interested in stats for the Dragonorbs in 3e Dragonlance, I now have officially published stats. Just let me now, and I will send them by ethereal mail, or if you have a copy of the Dungeon Magazine adventure Anvil of Time, by Tracy Hickman, that's were I found them.

I know some of you don't like double posting, but it has been nearly twenty four hours since the last post...

The Sage Posted - 22 Jul 2003 : 09:49:47
Thanks Bookwyrm. I really was just to lazy to check the stock sites here in Australia.

Bookwyrm Posted - 22 Jul 2003 : 09:45:45
Hmm, I just realized. Now I'm not the only one who's held a 'conversation' with Sage!
Bookwyrm Posted - 22 Jul 2003 : 09:42:09
As of 20 minutes ago, the exchange rates were:

1 US Dollar = 1.531 Australian Dollars, or 0.8806 Euros.
1 Australian Dollar = 0.575 Euros.

So, $80.00 Australian is E45.98, or $52.24 American.

See, this is why I liked the idea of the Euro. No need for all this math . . . .
The Sage Posted - 22 Jul 2003 : 09:23:14
Well in Australian dollars, I can expect the DLCS to cost around $80.00. I don't have access at the moment to US or France monetary conversion rates so I can't tell you how much it would cost elsewhere. Although considering the AUS$ in regards to the US$, I would say around $30.00-$45.00 maybe, but this is a rough conversion based on the exchange rates I saw this morning.

zemd Posted - 22 Jul 2003 : 09:13:27
Worst than in France!!! We just have to wait a few days and sometimes we have it before US. Is the price higher?
The Sage Posted - 22 Jul 2003 : 08:56:06
Yes, I know. But when it comes to source material releases, here in Australia we normally have to wait at least another month after it's release in the US, for it to be released here. It's one of the many reasons (the others being government, and several other issues outside the scope of this scroll) I have seriously considered moving to the US some time soon.

zemd Posted - 22 Jul 2003 : 08:47:50
Oops, i didn't know it had this name. But you won't have to wait until september, it'll be released in August... I think
The Sage Posted - 22 Jul 2003 : 08:45:19
That's what I was talking about. I have a friend in the US, who I talk to regularly who purchased a signed copy from Margaret Weis when she 'released' 100 pre-release copies early this month from her website. Unfortunately he was unable to secure a second copy and send it over here for me, so that I would not have to wait until September.

zemd Posted - 22 Jul 2003 : 08:41:01
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Actually I don't think it does, however I will have another check. Perhaps they will be detailed in the War of the Lance sourcebook due out next year, as I doubt they will be detailed in the Age of Mortals accessory.

Or in the DLCS that will be released next month
The Sage Posted - 22 Jul 2003 : 07:22:16
Yes, that is the 3e D&D general 'Orb of Dragonkind'.

zemd said -
quote:
I am not currently sure where any remaining are in the fifth age, but now with the Return of the gods, we will probably see them surfacing or at least the locations revealed with the Dragonlance Campaign Setting coming out this summer.
Actually I don't think it does, however I will have another check. Perhaps they will be detailed in the War of the Lance sourcebook due out next year, as I doubt they will be detailed in the Age of Mortals accessory.

Also, for those that have access to the 3.5 DMG, did the Orb of Dragonkind, undergo any changes?. If so, what were they?.

Bookwyrm Posted - 22 Jul 2003 : 06:10:49
I found this in the DMG:

The Orbs of Dragonkind

Each contains the essence and personality of an ancient dragon of a different variety (one for each of the major ten different chromatic and metallic dragons). The bearer of an Orb can dominate dragons of its particular variety within 500 feet (as dominate monster), the dragon being forced to make a Will save (DC 25) to resist. (Spell resistance has no power against this effect.)

Each Orb of Dragonkind bestows upon the wielder the AC and saving throw bonuses of the dragon within. These values replace whatever values the character would otherwise have, regardless whether they are better or worse. These values cannot be modified by any means short of ridding the character of the Orb.

Further, a character possessing an Orb of Dragonkind is immune to the breath weapon - but only the breath weapon - of the dragon variety keyed to the Orb.

Finally, a character possessing an Orb can herself use the breath weapon of the dragon in the Orb three times per day.

All Orbs of Dragonkind can be used to communicate verbally and visually with the possessors of the other Orbs. The owner of an Orb knows whether there are dragons within ten miles at all times. For dragons of the Orb’s particular variety, the range is one hundred miles. If within one mile of a dragon of the Orb’s variety, the wielder can determine the exact location and age of the creature.

The bearer of one of these Orbs earns the enmity forever of all dragonkind for profiting by the enslavement of one of their kin, even if she later loses the item.

Each Orb also has an individual power that can be invoked once per round at 10th caster level:

• Black Dragon Orb: fly.

• Blue Dragon Orb: haste.

• Brass Dragon Orb: teleport.

• Bronze Dragon Orb: scrying.

• Copper Dragon Orb: suggestion.

• Gold Dragon Orb: Special. The owner of the gold Orb can call upon any power possessed by one of the other orbsincluding
the dominate and breath weapon abilities but not AC, saves or breath weapon immunity-but can only use an
individual power once per day. Further, she can dominate any other possessor of an Orb within one mile (DC 16).

• Green Dragon Orb: spectral force.

• Red Dragon Orb: wall of fire.

• Silver Dragon Orb: cure critical wounds.

• White Dragon Orb: protection from elements (cold only).
Mournblade Posted - 21 Jul 2003 : 23:01:22
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

Kitira, I'll try and answer your question...

By putting the Dragon Orbs in the DMG, WotC has made them kind general items for use in any campaign. DragonLance or not...

However, their origin is DragonLance and unless a DM has inserted them into his/her own FR campaign, the Orbs have no (canon) history in Faerun or anywhere on Toril.

That said, it is more or less impossible to answer your original question unless one is a DM as referred to above...

Sorry folks...

Orbs of Dragonkind was taken from the DM's GUIDE to use in Dragonlance. As per pages 159-160 of the 1st edition DM's GUIDE published in 1979 (ummmm lets see 6 years BEFORE dragonlance was published)

Orb of Dragonkind:

"It is written that when certain of the good deities conspired to devise means to easily control the evil dragons plaguing mankind, demon servants of evil changed the magical forces involved so as to include all dragonkind and then caused the ORBS fashioned to have inimical properties as well. In all, 8 globes of carven white jade were made, 1 each for each age of the dragon's lifespan. The smallest is but 3 inches in diameter, the largest is about 10 inches across. Each is covered with bas reliefs of entwined dragons of all sorts, the whole being of incredible hardness, and somehow imprisoning the very essence of all dragons. The 8 orbs are:

Orb of the hatchling
orb of the wyrmkin
orb of the dragonette
orb of the dragon orb of the great serpent
orb of the firedrake
orb of the elder wyrm
orb of the eternal dragon

These orbs can charm dragons of a specific age category, and are also HIGHLY evil, so good characters suffer ill effects. If you want to know more I will write the rest but I don't feel like it now:)

Faraer Posted - 21 Jul 2003 : 18:51:39
The orbs of dragonkind originated in the original Dungeon Masters Guide or maybe even Eldritch Wizardry. So they're loosely associated with the World of Greyhawk, and then Dragonlance created its own versions. There are no concrete references to the orbs in the Realms.
Tookey Posted - 19 Jul 2003 : 11:10:17
Just thought i'd ought too let you know i've encountered a Dragon Orb before. It was the Black Dragon Orb and for some strange reason it was in a dragon horde when the rest were in a sacred "channeling" room. We figured out that too get in you need to collect item's which i will not mention cause that will ruin it. My friend got in a different way though and he got the Green Dragon Orb. ANother abiltie of the orbs is too talk to the owners of the other orbs, so i talked too him and willed myself too go where he was using the Dragon Orb i had as a conductor of sorts. Anyway, when i got thier i quickly placed the Black Dragon Orb on the ground and ran towards the silver one, picked it up, and then somethign DAMN good happened. I'm not spoiling it im just informing you that it is well worth it to search for them. But unfortuanatly a God noticed us and stole the powers we gained, all we had left was an abilitie and the Black Dragon Orb. I will be glad too answer more questions but I won't tell you how too get in as it is ruining the entire expirience of finding them.
Kitira Gildragon Posted - 27 Feb 2003 : 12:39:41
Thanks. That explains why there were alot of things I didn't really understand in the DMG. *-_-
Echon Posted - 26 Feb 2003 : 20:55:40
quote:
Originally posted by Kitira Gildragon

Echon, then why are the words Dungeons and Dragons printed on the top? Wouldn't they have used Dragonlance instead? *confused and annoyed*

Why would I know? I was just trying to point out what Mumadar said in his first post and expanded on in his final post.

-Echon
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 26 Feb 2003 : 17:08:19
Kitira, I'll try and answer your question...

By putting the Dragon Orbs in the DMG, WotC has made them kind general items for use in any campaign. DragonLance or not...

However, their origin is DragonLance and unless a DM has inserted them into his/her own FR campaign, the Orbs have no (canon) history in Faerun or anywhere on Toril.

That said, it is more or less impossible to answer your original question unless one is a DM as referred to above...
Kitira Gildragon Posted - 26 Feb 2003 : 16:27:14
Echon, then why are the words Dungeons and Dragons printed on the top? Wouldn't they have used Dragonlance instead? *confused and annoyed*
zemd Posted - 24 Feb 2003 : 19:24:47
Dragon Orbs:

The orbs of dragonkind, also called dragonorbs, are fragile, etched globes of crystal, 20" in diameter when in use. When not in use, the orbs shrink to a more manageable 10" diameter. The orbs expand when a mage speaks the command words carved in elven runes on the globes' surface. The five dragonorbs were created by the alliance of wizards during the Third Dragon War. These orbs were designed after the five godstones that imprisoned the original dragons of darkness during the First Dragon War. Because each orb contains the spirit of a mighty wyrm of evil, the orbs lured other dragons to their doom, much as moths are lured to a flame.
At least three dragonorbs survived before the war of the lance on Ansalon:
One in haunted Silvanesti, which ended up in Raistlin's end after the end of the Nightmare of Lorac.
Another one in the cold fastness of Icewall, that was taken by Sturm and the other knights which got destroyed by Tasslehoff during the Whitestone council.
The third somewhere in northern Solamnia, in the High Clerist's Tower or Palanthas.
Legends said that in pre-Cataclysm days, the orbs destroyed dragons. Unfortunately, these legends were terribly inaccurate. In fact, the orbs summon Evil dragons. Before the Cataclysm, powerful wizards used the orbs to summon Evil dragons, then destroy them with powerful spells. Any character attempting to use an orb must gaze into it and speak the command words. If hsi will is stronger than the dragon's will inside the orb, dragons froom the surrounding area will show up and destroy every person of good alignement. If unsuccessful, the person is charmed by the dragon orb and will further the goal of evil. Each orb has a variety of other magical powers that may be invoked. These powers vary from orb to orb. The best-known orb, the orb of Silvanesti has the following minor abilities, usable thrice daily: clairvoyance on anything within a 60 mile radius for up to three turns, invisibility, 10'radius if the caster concentrates, legend lore with a 25% chance of success, speak with dead, and water breathe cast on one creature for up to six minutes. The following major abilities function once per day: airy water with a duration of one day, heal one creature per day, control dragon, zhere the dragon attempts to pervert the given commands, and teleport without error to any location the orb or the caster knows. Each time the person tries to use the orb abilities, he or she must resist the dragon orb's will, or be charmed by the orb.

I am not currently sure where any remaining are in the fifth age, but now with the *SPOILERS*

Return of the gods, we will probably see them surfacing or at least the locations revealed with the Dragonlance Campaign Setting coming out this summer.
If you need any more information, just ask!
Echon Posted - 24 Feb 2003 : 17:25:49
But the Dungeon Master's Guide is not related to the Forgotten Realms.

-Echon
Kitira Gildragon Posted - 24 Feb 2003 : 16:27:41
:pokes her head around a book, glaring slightly at Mumadar:

I know it's Dragon Lance, but it is in the Dungeon Master Guide (pg, 240.) too!
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 24 Feb 2003 : 16:20:11
Ehm... wasn't that Dragon Lance

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000