Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Generic Tyr in the Norse Panthon

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dargoth Posted - 07 Jul 2005 : 13:35:23

Correct me if Im wrong but does Tyr (the Generic Tyr in Deities and Demi Gods) have the War Portfolio? (As oppose to the War Domain which the FR Tyr has)
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Asgetrion Posted - 09 Jul 2005 : 19:01:42
Well met!

Perhaps this is a bit like what Roger Zelazny wrote in his fantastic 'Amber'-series? Maybe Tyr in FR is but one of the shadows/reflections/aspects of himself. I do not mean there is 'the Real Tyr' somewhere in the multiverse, just that there are countless variations of each being (especially a divine being) in each material plane?
The Sage Posted - 09 Jul 2005 : 04:09:13
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I choose to believe the multispheric approach to deities, too. So if a Realms deity has the same name and a strong similarity to an Earth deity, I say they're one being.
Indeed. Same deity, merely different aspects on each Prime. This works in most settings. DL's changing cosmology caused problems of course, but the 3e work-up clearly creates a new and stable basis for the various gods of Krynn.

quote:
There is actually evidence of this... Tyche was a Greek deity. As Kuje has often pointed out, in On Hallowed Ground, it mentions that Tyche's realm in Olympus is fading and the other Olympians are trying to figure out what happened to her. They don't know that she was on Toril and split into two deities.

Of course, that is 2E, when we still had that possibility (Curse you, Great Tree!).

And remains much the same in my campaigns at least. Tyche's name is still venerated in places around the Realms... an example that the split has never been completely forgotten.
Dargoth Posted - 09 Jul 2005 : 00:01:52
Hmm there actually isnt much of similarity at all

According to Sage Generic Tyr has the following portfolios courage, trust, strategy, tactics, and writing.

In the FR his only portfolio is Justice

Writing he couldnt keep in the FR because of Oghma and Deneir

Tactics and War are taken by the Red Knight
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Jul 2005 : 17:38:28
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

I think that the Faerunic "maimed god" is Tyr, that lost his hand in a trick to chain Kezef, the Chaos Hound (with put him more in contact with the Norse Tyr.
And, counting the fact that Tyr (Faerunic) is an interloper deity, I personally believe that the two gods are the same entity.

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

I think that the Faerunic "maimed god" is Tyr, that lost his hand in a trick to chain Kezef, the Chaos Hound (with put him more in contact with the Norse Tyr.
And, counting the fact that Tyr (Faerunic) is an interloper deity, I personally believe that the two gods are the same entity.

I choose to believe the multispheric approach to deities, too. So if a Realms deity has the same name and a strong similarity to an Earth deity, I say they're one being.

There is actually evidence of this... Tyche was a Greek deity. As Kuje has often pointed out, in On Hallowed Ground, it mentions that Tyche's realm in Olympus is fading and the other Olympians are trying to figure out what happened to her. They don't know that she was on Toril and split into two deities.

Of course, that is 2E, when we still had that possibility (Curse you, Great Tree!).
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 08 Jul 2005 : 12:40:51
Vangelor Posted - 08 Jul 2005 : 01:13:48
The RL Tyr also had Justice, however. And RL mythology isn't a matter of one god only to a portfolio. Odin is also a war god. So is Thor.

In Greek myth, the War portfolio is shared by Ares and Athena - two extremely different deities!

Tyr sacrificed his hand by letting Fenris Wolf devour it, so that the beast-spawn of Loki would allow itself to be chained. So there is an element of the "maimed god" there too, which overlaps with Faerūnic Ilmatar (not to be confused with the Ilmatar in the Finnish Kalevala, who is a daughter of the Air, and mother of the hero Vainamoinen, and never sustained any hand-related injuries that I know of.)

Dargoth Posted - 08 Jul 2005 : 00:34:18
Sounds like Tyrs more the Red Knight than a Tempus like god of War
The Sage Posted - 07 Jul 2005 : 14:48:39
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Correct me if Im wrong but does Tyr (the Generic Tyr in Deities and Demi Gods) have the War Portfolio? (As oppose to the War Domain which the FR Tyr has)

Yes, he does. The D&DG (Norse) version of Tyr has the Law, Protection, and War domains. His portfolios are courage, trust, strategy, tactics, and writing.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000