Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ear-rings (earrings)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 03 Jul 2005 : 04:58:48
I was just perusing Stefan's Floriligeum (a God-send for harried folks who want to learn about all things Medieval and Renaissance for historical re-enacting, but also a great boon to gamemasters and players, too) and I happened across the page on ear-rings (http://www.florilegium.org/files/ACCESS/ear-rings-msg.html). The DMG doesn't make allowances for wearing ear-rings when assigning limits to the number of magic items which may be worn, but I was wondering in which lands on Toril ear-rings are de riguer, anyway? I don't recall seeing any illustrations of men or women of the Realms wearing ear-rings. Would those with knowledge about this subject please share?

I would imagine that somewhere south of Maztica there is a Mayan-type country in which enormous earlobe plugs are worn, but what about lands on the "main" continent (Faerun-Zakhara-Kara Tur)? I have a Waterdhavian character who has Craft (Jeweler), so the matter of crafting a pair (or a singlet) might actually come up at some point, particularly given that it was European sailors who made fancied them originally.

The discussion at Stefan's Florilegium mentions a fascinating custom in which sailors would wear gold coins as ear-rings so that if they were wrecked at sea and washed ashore they could posthumously pay for a "good Christian burial" for themselves. That seems to me to be a custom which might easily be reflected in the Realms, given Umberlee's temper. It might also make for an interesting adventure hook: body is washed ashore, greedy locals don't use its ear-ring coin to pay for a proper burial, dead sailor comes back as vengeful ghost or undead.

14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 22 Jul 2005 : 03:10:29
I add a specific instance: in the novel Tantras, Mikkel, fisherman of Shadowdale (the guy who fails his saving throw on Blackfeather Bridge), wears a single, prism-shaped earring.
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 07 Jul 2005 : 10:10:44
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Well met!

I have always assumed that it is not "exotic" for the both sexes in FR to wear earrings, and thus several of my characters and NPCs of all races have worn them in our campaigns.

In fact, I vaguely recall that Miklos Selkirk wears golden earrings in the illustration in FRCS? It would imply that it may be a common habit in Sembia, if not elsewhere.

Ah, yes! You are quite right. Smack in the middle of Faerūn, the Sembians could inspire people from all over Faerūn with the earring fashion, if they didn't already have it.

I consider my question well and truly answered. Thank ye, sages and scholars!
warlockco Posted - 07 Jul 2005 : 01:47:58
quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

For the creation of Earrings, I just give them the cost modifier for not taking up a magic item slot (x2).

I do the exact same thing. And since the cost is doubled, I allow as many ear rings (or other piercings) as the character wants to shove through their flesh.

Yep
Jindael Posted - 05 Jul 2005 : 12:42:59
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

For the creation of Earrings, I just give them the cost modifier for not taking up a magic item slot (x2).

I do the exact same thing. And since the cost is doubled, I allow as many ear rings (or other piercings) as the character wants to shove through their flesh.
The Sage Posted - 05 Jul 2005 : 02:30:05
quote:

Well met!

I have always assumed that it is not "exotic" for the both sexes in FR to wear earrings, and thus several of my characters and NPCs of all races have worn them in our campaigns.

In fact, I vaguely recall that Miklos Selkirk wears golden earrings in the illustration in FRCS? It would imply that it may be a common habit in Sembia, if not elsewhere.

While I do agree that some FR illustrations are not completely accurate, I do also believe that your comment about the wearing of earrings in Sembia is a valid one.

I look to the relative geographical position of Sembia, and the important position it maintains in most cross-Faerun trade routes. The Land of Merchants will likely see a greater deal of foreign objects and trinkets, as well as odd customs and strange cultural practices pass through its cities and ports every hour of every day.
The Sage Posted - 05 Jul 2005 : 02:23:00
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't think that illustrations are a good basis for assuming anything... After all, the illustrations have a very bad habit of not being anything like the description.
Indeed.

If nothing else, some of the new illustrations in the now released City of Splendors tome make Wooly's comment more than evident.
warlockco Posted - 04 Jul 2005 : 19:14:07
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Jul 2005 : 17:53:45
quote:

Well met!

I don't think that illustrations are a good basis for assuming anything... After all, the illustrations have a very bad habit of not being anything like the description.
Asgetrion Posted - 04 Jul 2005 : 15:34:53
Well met!

The Sage Posted - 04 Jul 2005 : 02:32:05
quote:
Originally posted by Thureen Buroch

Since Mulhorand is modeled after ancient Egypt, and ancient Egyptians were known to wear earings, I would imagine that the inhabitants of Mulhorand would wear earings, the higher your social class, the larger the earings.

That's a fair assumption.

And to some degree, mostly as the result of the extensive trade network at play across Faerun, we can assume that at some point, travelling merchants (in search of the new and the exotic) have recognised the potential value of these curious accessories in regions were they are sold extensively. They've most likely made efforts to procure such items, with the intention of taking them to markets in regions of the Realms which don't usually display such a level of personal dress.
Thureen Buroch Posted - 03 Jul 2005 : 17:29:59
Since Mulhorand is modeled after ancient Egypt, and ancient Egyptians were known to wear earings, I would imagine that the inhabitants of Mulhorand would wear earings, the higher your social class, the larger the earings.
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 03 Jul 2005 : 11:25:09
Hokey smokes! Thanks. Keep those references coming, folks!
The Sage Posted - 03 Jul 2005 : 06:21:18
- 'Korbus's Jewels and Fine Ornaments' in Daggerford is said to handle many of the latest fashions, including earrings.

- Members of the Emerald Enclave are known to wear green earrings which symbolise their connection to that particular order of druids.

- The Tabaxi Clans of Chult adorn themselves with many different types of earrings in order to identify themselves.

- The Kiam of the Iulutiuns wear tiny earrings which are believed to be made from the skulls of immature fish. They are known as "uwa".

- Earrings were fashionable during the days of Netheril. 'Karmandon's Finery' was a shop with a well-earned reputation for fantastic and exotic accessories.

- The Maztica boxed set lists earrings on the equipment tables contained with the expansion.

- Jade is often used to craft earrings in Shou Lung.

- Southern dwarves are known to wear gold earrings, as well as toerings.

- Wild dwarves carve the earrings they wear from bone.

- Wild elves also decorate themselves with earrings made from a variety of materials.

- The priesthoods of Hanali regularly adorn themselves with fine and exotic earrings.

- The giiraegisir (brooches of guardianship) of the noblewomen of Cormanthyr can be fashioned into earrings.

- Earrings are a standard fashion accessory among both males and females in Calimport.
The Sage Posted - 03 Jul 2005 : 05:58:02
Volo's Guide to All Things Magical mentions several types of earrings, all crafted from various materials.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000