Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Prestige Classes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kaladorm Posted - 28 Jun 2004 : 13:43:34
Does anyone spend time making their own prestige classes? Was wondering if there's anywhere to post them and get soem feedback. Bear in mind these two were made for 3.0 so might not be entirely balanced, would appreciate any feedback on them, or new ideas to try. Also it would be nice if people could post their creations here to.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
raptor Posted - 04 Jul 2004 : 16:21:06
"Prestige classes are purelly optional and always under the purview of the DM. We encourage you, as the DM, to tightly limit the prestige classes available in your campaign. The example prestige classes are certainly not all encompassing or definitive. They might not even be appropriate for your campaign. The best prestige classes for your campaign are the ones you tailor make yourself." -DMG

AKA, its in the eye of the DM.

personally i do not allow players to become prestige classes, neither do i use them for npcs or similar. i rather let a player or npc get a special power, or advantage that reminds of. most of the prestige classes listed in most sources i have seen (for example DMG), like for example Arcane archer and dragon disciple, is just so beyond reason (even within a fantasy realm) i cannot accept it. however cetain "classical titles" such as Archmage and asassin i might use eventually, as they are very open, and more of a title. I could easilly call a level 10 rouge for an asassin. or a level 15 wizard for archmage, without them having a level in the prestige class.

btw, dragon disciple, shouldnt that be a "race" related and not "class" related ?
Capn Charlie Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 18:46:14
Wel then, I guess it's good that wizads will have a fan base to selll books to for some time to come then.

Seriously, I( mean, the agent PrC alone has applications in a hundred places. Why should he write a fluff article to go with it making it a Sembian agent, and thus make people looking for something alonmg these lines for Chondath turn away?

THE closest I have seen to something like this is the lackluster at best spymaster, so it isn't exactly like it is somethng falling out of the wooodworks. YOu just find a spot in your game that nees them, and then add the fluff yourself. Heck, anyore I rarely use any prc as written, tinkering with it abit to make it work for my game, and sometimes just using it as inspiration.

But then I really enjoy sitting aaround and tinkering with the rules, rounding off edges so things will fit. What I love about 3e is the do it yourself nature of so much of the rules now.
martynq Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 12:08:44
Personally, I would probably not use any unofficial PrCs unless I could see a definite campaign specific role for them. There are more than enough official ones out there that I haven't had time to decide which I permit and which I don't... let alone getting on to consider non-official ones. What I am most interested in is stuff that makes the game world interesting - generic PrCs are just too plentiful now to be interesting (IMNSHO). Sorry...

Martyn
Kaladorm Posted - 28 Jun 2004 : 16:32:42
I don't suppose I considered making them realms specific, since all I really know is the realms :) I adventure in the realms (P&P and PbEM), all the novels I've read are in the realms (bar dragonlanec chronicles and legends), even most of the D&D computer games I've played were set in the realms (except possibly that one that was on the SNES, eye of the beholder possibly? can't remember, fun though).
To be honest I didn't want to create a character, just a type of character. To make it too specific or a memeber of an organisation or something, like for example the purple dragon knight, I think would have made the class limited, though possibly with a bit more flavour.
What I was trying to do was think about possibilities a base class could be. There are numerous types of fighter you can think of, loads of rangers (wood lovers, defenders of the good, hermits, animal lovers, urban ranger the list goes on). I wanted to just spice up or modify some of the current prestige classes or give access to a route in which might best fit someones character concept but might not be possible or viable using the standard multi classing.
I'd also be interested to know how people feel about using 'unofficial' prestige classes among other house rules (do people use their own feats in game). As Capn Charlie said you might even want to use them as NPCs. I'm sure it would be a nice surprise for a party to meet an Arisen clad in bones, and suddenly see it summon a load of undead, or better yet wonder why it was getting weaker and not running out of spells. Surely it's more interesting than 'oh look a spellcaster.....it just cast bless must be a cleric....lvl 8 I think?' You can still play in character but you can't stop people thinking out of character :)
Yes there are lots of places to discuss prestige classes but I thought it would be nice to do it here being a member of the community and try and share what I'd thought up, hopefully someone might like to use it, modify it, or come up with their own ideas to make things a bit different or more interesting.
SiriusBlack Posted - 28 Jun 2004 : 15:40:51
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Does anyone spend time making their own prestige classes? Was wondering if there's anywhere to post them and get soem feedback.

If you just wish a place for general PrCs, I know I've encountered a few online sites where PrCs could be posted. I think a past thread or two might have some of the URLs for these sites. If you wish, try a search function to see if you can find these past threads. If you have no luck let me know and I'll see if I can find any of the sites again.
Capn Charlie Posted - 28 Jun 2004 : 14:57:11
Never one for spoon feeding Kaladorm has taken an admirable stance on PrCs, using them as one would any rule.

They are a nugget of crunch: insert it where you see fit. An agent could be associated with or working for any group I decide to attach them to. For me, I might use an NPC agent as a Cormyrian inflitrator into my party.

The arisen could see use as a Velsharonite Death priestess I had hopes of using wwith my group as an enemy.

The uses, background and posibilites for a good prc are not bound too tightly to any single concept, but should be like a modular lego, and be able to be placed most anywhere appropriate in your game. It is a sign of a good designer to not let their creation be pigeon holed into a single over specialized niche.

I know I for one have never had need to stat out a evereskan tomb guardian, and am quite unlikely to change that record. However, a more generic sacred guardian class like I modified it to is seeing action as the protectors of a temple in the north already and I might make a mummy/monk one to guard a Mulhorandi tomb complex.

Remember, a fighter is a fighter, so too can be a Asassin.
martynq Posted - 28 Jun 2004 : 14:48:06
I hope you don't mind my asking, Kaladorm, but what exactly are the points behind your two PrCs that you have posted? You don't list what their roles in a Forgotten Realms campaign are... and since this is a FR specific forum I would have thought here was a place where you didn't need to be very general but could actually make them FR-specific.

(I always prefer that aspect of a PrC, namely where it creates something specific for the campaign world... strangely so unlike the majority of the PrCs out there.)

Martyn
Lady Kazandra Posted - 28 Jun 2004 : 14:20:33
I suggest you use the search function. This question has been asked numerous times, and several scribes have already posted PrCs of their own design.

Here's a brief listing of scribes who have posted PrCs:
  • Arivia
  • Zimeros
  • The Sage
Kaladorm Posted - 28 Jun 2004 : 13:46:18
Arisen

An Arisen is someone who has first hand experienced the horrors of death, and undeath, and come back to this world stronger for it. By willingly giving up their life to a mass of undead creatures (usually incorporeal), the Arisen upon being resurrected gains a greater understanding of the divide between life and unlife, and can manipulate the powers of both to greater effect.

Hit Die: D4

Requirements
Alignment: Any non-good

Feats: Augment Summoning
Spell Focus: Necromancy
Greater Spell Focus: Necromancy

Skills: Knowledge (arcane) 8 Ranks
Knowledge (religion) 8 Ranks

Spells: Ability to cast 3rd level Necromancy or Death Domain Spells.

Special: If the caster has a familiar it must be undead (to get better acquainted with the dead’s way of seeing things). I.e. an undead toad provides the same benefit as a regular toad.
To become an Arisen, the character must have given up his life willingly to undead and been Resurrected.

Class Skills
Alchemy (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge Arcana (Int), Knowledge Religion (Int), Profession (Wis), Scry (Int), Spellcraft (Int)
Skill points per level: 2 + int modifier

Spontaneous Casting
The Arisen can sacrifice any memorised spell to cast a Summon Undead spell of the appropriate level. Summon Undead 1-3 works as Animate Dead, Summon Undead lvl 4-6 acts as Create Undead, Summon Undead lvl 7-9 acts as Create Greater Undead

Level BAB FortSave RefSave Will Save Abilities Spell
1 +0 0 0 2 Deaths Embrace +1 level of existing class
2 +1 0 0 3 Bonemail + 1 +1 level of existing class
3 +1 1 1 3 Rebuke Undead +1 level of existing class
4 +2 1 1 4 +1 level of existing class
5 +2 1 1 4 Bonemail +2 +1 level of existing class
6 +3 2 2 5 Zone of Desecration +1 level of existing class
7 +3 2 2 5 +1 level of existing class
8 +4 2 2 6 Bonemail +3 +1 level of existing class
9 +4 3 3 6 +1 level of existing class
10 +5 3 3 7 Bonemail +4, Corpse Mastery +1 level of existing class

Deaths Embrace
The Arisen can sacrifice some of his health, bringing him closer to the realm of the dead, in return for greater spell casting flexibility.
The Arisen can sacrifice d10 hp per spell level to recast a previously memorised spell.

Rebuke Undead
The Arisen can cast Rebuke Undead (like an evil cleric) three times per day + stat modifier. For the purposes of turning the Arisen may choose to use his int or cha modifier.

Bonemail
The Arisen has an instinctive feel for bone, and can craft necromantic armour composed of interlocking bones. His appreciation for all things dead allows him to wear the bonemail like a second skin that is, natural armour, which does not interfere with arcane spellcasting. Only Arisens and Pale Masters gain any benefit to armour class from wearing bonemail. The Arisen is not as used to using bonemail as a Pale Master, and as such gains less benefit from it.
At 2nd level the bonemail grants a +1 natural armour bonus to it’s wearer. At 5th level the Arisen’s mastery over this unusual medium allows him to move more naturally within the armour, granting him a +2 armour bonus. At 8th level the Arisen’s proficiency grows granting a +3 armour bonus. Finally at 10th level the Arisen becomes a true death artisan, receiving a +4 natural armour bonus from the bonemail.

Zone of Desecration
At 6th level the Arisen begins to assert his authority over undead. As a supernatural ability he is surrounded by a 20-foot radius of negative energy identical to the spell desecrate. The Arisen can do this 5 times per day, lasting 2 hours per level.

Corpse Mastery
The spirits which inhabited the Arisens body when he was killed manifest themselves, once the Arisen willingly gives over to their power. He becomes like the undead in that he is immune to critical hits, stun, paralysation, disease and poison.

Spells: To cast a spell the Arisen must have an Intelligence score of at least 10 + the spells level, so an Arisen with an Intelligence score of 10 or lower cannot cast these spells. Arisen bonus spells are based on Intelligence, and saving throws against these spells have a DC of 10 + spell level + the Arisen’s Intelligence modifier (if any). An Arisen prepares and casts spells just as a wizard does.
When a new level of Arisen is gained the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in the spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class. He does not however gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If a character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming an Arisen he must choose to which class he adds the new level for the purpose of determining spells per day.

The Arisen may treat the following spells as if they were in the school of Necromancy for the purposes of scribing, memorising and casting:

Level Spells
1 Detect Undead, Death Watch
2 Death Knell, Desecrate
3 Speak With Dead
4 Death Ward
5 Unhallow
6 Antilife Shell
7 Blasphemy
8 Unholy Aura, Trap the Soul
9 Soul Bind

Kaladorm Posted - 28 Jun 2004 : 13:45:11
Agent

Whilst the majority of rogues work for themselves and themselves alone, Agents can be found employed by many different people, from merchants to royalty, from the town militia to a bandit group. An Agent does not leave his cash flow to chance, he takes it into his own hands by accepting missions or quests from employers.
Often Agents can be seen, (or not as the case may be), gathering information, following a rival’s movements, being a third party in trades, or acting as a hired killer, or ‘acquiring’ items for his current employer. They are loyal as far as payment goes, and an Agent will happily double-cross their employer for a better deal.
Should an Agent be seen in his mission when he does not want to be, he has some basic magical knowledge with which he can divert attention from himself or trick his way out of a situation.
Rogues are the most suited to becoming Agents. Rangers and Monks also occasionally become Agents.

Hit Die: D6

Requirements

Alignment: Generally, Chaotic Agents cannot stay focused on a job long enough to become proficient or succeed in their training

Feats: Dodge, Weapon Finesse: Rapier
Skills: Move Silently : 8 ranks
Hide : 8 ranks
Bluff : 8 ranks
Forgery : 4 ranks
Disguise : 4 ranks

Class Skills

The Agents class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are:
Appraise (int), Balance (dex), Bluff (cha), Climb (str), Craft (int), Decipher Script (int), Diplomacy (cha), Disable Device (int), Disguise (cha), Escape Artist (dex), Forgery (int), Gather Information (cha), Hide (dex), Innuendo (wis), Jump (str), Listen (wis), Move Silently (dex), Open Lock (dex), Pick Pocket (dex), Read Lips (int), Search (int), Sense Motive (wis), Spot (wis), Swim (str), Tumble (dex), Use Magic Device (cha, exclusive skill), Use Rope (dex),
Skill points per level: 4 + Intelligence modifier

Class Features

Weapon and Armour Proficiency
An Agents weapon training focuses on weapons suitable for stealth and sneak attacks. Agents are proficient with the crossbow (hand, light or heavy), dagger (any type), dart, sap, rapier, shortbow (normal and composite), and short sword. Agents are proficient with light armour but not shields. Note that armour check penalties for armour heavier than leather apply to the skills Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Pick Pocket, and Tumble, and that carrying heavy gear imposes a penalty on Swim checks.

Sneak Attack: If an agent can catch an opponent when she is unable to defend herself effectively from his attack, he can strike a vital spot for extra damage. Basically, any time the target would be denied her Dexterity bonus to AC (whether she actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), the agents attack deals +1d6 points of damage. This damage increases by +1d6 every other level ( +2d6 at 3rd level, +3d6 at 5th level, and so on). Should the agent score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.
It takes precision and penetration to hit a vital spot, so ranged attacks can only count as sneak attacks if the target is 30 feet away or less.
With a sap or an unarmed strike, the agent can make a sneak attack that deals subdual damage instead of normal damage. He cannot use a weapon that deals normal damage to deal subdual damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual –4 penalty, because he must make optimal use of his weapon in order to execute the sneak attack.
An agent can only sneak attack living creatures with discernible anatomies – undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Additionally, any creature immune to critical hits is similarly immune to sneak attacks. Also, the agent must also be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach a vital spot. The agent cannot sneak attack while striking at a creature with concealment or by striking limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

Spells: Beginning at first level, an agent gains the ability to cast a small number of arcane spells. To cast a spell the agent must have an Intelligence score of at least 10 + the spells level, so an agent with an Intelligence score of 10 or lower cannot cast these spells. Agent bonus spells are based on Intelligence, and saving throws against these spells have a DC of 10 + spell level + the agent’s Intelligence modifier (if any). When the agent gets 0 spells of a given level, such as 0 1st-level spells at 1st level, the agent gets only bonus spells. An agent without a bonus spell for that level cannot yet cast a spell of that level. The agent’s spell list appears below. An agent prepares and casts spells just as a wizard does.

Uncanny Dodge: Starting at 2nd level, the agent gains the extraordinary ability to react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to even be aware of it. At 2nd level and above, he retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) regardless of being caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. (He still loses his Dexterity bonus to Ac if immobilized.)
At 5th level, the agent can no longer be flanked, since he can react to opponents on opposite sides of him as easily as he can react to a single attacker. This defense denies rogues the ability to use flank attacks to sneak attack the agent. The exception to this defense is that a rogue at least four levels higher than the agent can flank him (and thus sneak attack him).
At 10th level the agent gains an intuitive sense that alerts him to danger from traps, giving him a +1 bonus to Reflex saves made to avoid traps.
If the agent has another class that grants the uncanny dodge ability, add together all the class levels of the classes that grant the ability and determine the characters uncanny dodge ability on that basis.

Improved Feint: At 1st level the agents training in this technique means that they can feint as a move equivalent action rather than a standard action. A successful bluff check against the enemy’s sense motive check results in the enemy being denied their dexterity bonus as normal.

Infiltration – After 3rd level, when unarmored or wearing light armor while using Move Silently or Hide, the Agent can move his normal speed without suffering a penalty to those skills.

Con-Artist: The agent is skilled in deception, at 8th level he gains a +2 bonus to Bluff and sense motive checks.

Level BAB Fortitude Save Reflex Save Will Save Abilities
1 0 0 2 0 Sneak Attack: 1d6, Improved Feint
2 1 0 3 0 Uncanny Dodge
3 2 1 3 1 Sneak Attack : 2d6, Infiltration
4 3 1 4 1
5 3 1 4 1 Sneak Attack : 3d6, Uncanny Dodge, Weapon Focus: Rapier
6 4 2 5 2
7 5 2 5 2 Sneak Attack : 4d6
8 6 2 6 2 Con-Artist
9 6 3 6 3 Sneak Attack : 5d6
10 7 3 7 3 Uncanny Dodge

-------------------------------------Spells per day-----------------------------------
Level 1 2 3 4
1 0 - - -
2 1 - - -
3 1 0 - -
4 1 1 - -
5 1 1 0 -
6 1 1 1 -
7 2 1 1 0
8 2 1 1 1
9 2 2 1 1
10 2 2 2 1
Agent Spell List
1st Level: Change Self, Charm Person, True Strike, Obscuring Mist, Colour Spray
2nd Level: Alter Self, Darkness, Pass without trace, Blur
3rd Level: Scare, Invisibility, Displacement, Tongues, Clairaudience/Clairvoyance
4th Level: Dimension Door, Polymorph Self, Improved Invisibility, Confusion

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000