Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dwarf Subrace accents?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Galuf the Dwarf Posted - 04 Mar 2022 : 16:21:48
Obviously, your standard Shield Dwarf in the Realms seems to have the archetypal Scottish accent. Recently, however, the Black Pits campaign for Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition showcased Duergar (whose subrace appears to be pronounced "DUR-GAR" rather than what I interpreted as "DWAIR-GAR") seemed to have a Scandinavian or Eastern European accent (can't tell which). Is such canon? Also, what about other subraces, namely Gold Dwarves, Urdunnir/Orecutter Dwarves and Wild Dwarves?

Note: Like usual for me, I'm looking for facts, not opinions.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TheIriaeban Posted - 04 Mar 2022 : 19:18:00
Ed had this to say about dwarven voices on page 7 of So Sayeth Ed - Part 17:

"Hi. You're quite right to say that on an individual basis, any stereotype of dwarven voices breaks down. However, there IS an accurate stereotype, which is as follows:
Dwarves DO tend to have deeper voices than humans. And more "gravelly" (rough) ones. So Barry White isn't all that far off the mark. :}

They also tend to be terse, and sound grim. That is, when speaking Common and when not in the company of only dwarves (or only dwarves and gnomes), they tend to say the words they need to say - - and no more. (Therefore: terse.) In short, flatly declarative sentences. In those deep voices, and NEVER letting their voices rise in pitch at the end of a sentence, even when asking a question. To human ears, this comes across as "being grim."

Dwarven females tend to have voices just as deep, but far smoother and more "liquid" rather than raw or rough or gravelly.

Here's the kicker, though: many dwarves are darned good mimics. Even of high, light voices. Moreover, if they're traveling traders or adventurers, or dwell in a multi-racial city, they know how the voices of other races sound when asking questions, sharpening into anger, sounding astonished or purring provocatively, and so on. They can feign (both subtly, to deceive) and very broadly (for sarcastic or comic effect) an elf of either gender trying to seduce someone, or a human trying to wheedle, or a halfling fast-talking his way out of a tight situation.

Among their own kind or in front of gnomes, dwarves aren't terse; they joke far more (most dwarves NEVER sing - - except when drunk - - in front of non-dwarves and gnomes, and only make sarcastic jests), delight in aptly describing the characters of persons in a few words (e.g. "He's so rich that the gods owe HIM money, and he sneers at their altars every morning to wag his finger and not let them forget it" or "He's as hungry for her as a frog with its tongue just too short to reach a fly"), and speak in a lovely, rolling rhythm, not in clipped, terse sentences. When they do speak that way to another dwarf, it means they're very upset. As in angry, afraid, grieving, or despairing.

In general, though, your dwarf adventurer is going to "growl" his words, or perhaps "grunt" or "snarl" them, even "rumble" them if he's a large-chested or large-bellied dwarf. most dwarves say "aye" and "look ye" and end questions with "yes?" or "no?" (E.g. "Hard trail ahead, no?" or "You've had better days, yes?").

Again, this is all a generalization. Some dwarves have high, fluting voices, and almost avoid speaking at all (except when with other dwarves, or gnomes) because of it.
Hope this helps."

Nothing specific about an accent but plenty of other information.

Edit: I should probably add that even though Ed mentions dwarves use "aye" and "ye", that doesn't necessarily mean they have a Scottish-type accent. I use "howdy" and "y'all" but I do not have a Southern US accent.
TomCosta Posted - 04 Mar 2022 : 18:40:52
There are no real canonical accents in the Realms. I suggested a bunch for the human languages way back when in my Dragon Magazine article on Realms languages that has more or less stuck with us in some form since.

That said, Ed has said that his dwarves didn't have Scottish accents, but most people (including myself) use a Scottish accent. Given that, urdunnir, who are descended from shield dwarves probably have one as well. And that said, I played a gold dwarf with a bad Aussie accent because he was from Down Under. One of my favorite characters.

In the history I'm trying to sort out of the dwarves, I see wild dwarves as a mix of korobokuru and shield dwarves, but they've been very isolated. They presumably use a lot of natural sounding vocalizations for signaling and that might also play into their speaking too. They probably have a very unique sound, which is hard to imagine frankly, but maybe you could go with an almost unintelligible Cockney accent.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000