Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 [DM only] Starting an adventure in the Dalelands

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Azar Posted - 05 May 2020 : 18:17:47
Hello everyone!

I will be DMing a Forgotten Realms campaign in the near future; this will be my first AD&D 2e campaign and first Forgotten Realms adventure in general. The reason I am here is to get the opinions of Realms veterans concerning the ideal starting point of this story. While I do not mind reshaping the landscape to fit my requirements, I would rather work with established lore first before putting my own touch on any material. Now...let's see what we can hammer out, shall we?

Our heroes are located in the Dalelands. What I have in mind is a former silver mine; its deposits dried up several years ago, but it was repurposed into a town which is now finally beginning to thrive. This geographical uniqueness places it near (or at least relatively near to) mountainous terrain. In addition, I would like to see it within ten miles or less of a tributary large enough to support a few "Giant" variety of fish such as the Giant Catfish and Giant Gar. Finally, if wetlands can be found about as far from the town as the aforementioned waterway is, even better.

Above all, this town should be situated in a region that is developing while still very much in the heart of wilderness. My preference is to avoid the more populous dales such as Archendale, Scarsdale and Tasseldale, but I am not opposed to considering any of them should they be a perfect fit. Thus far, I have determined that most of the remaining dales that are still standing are potential candidates.

• Deepingdale - There's part of the Dun Hills in addition to the Glaemril and the Glaun Bog.

• Battledale - There are a few hills and the Three Rivers Land.

• Daggerdale - There's the Desertmouth Mountain range and three rivers (the Tesh River, Dagger River and the Ashaba)

• Featherdale - There's the Dun Hills and the river Ashaba.

• High Dale - There are plenty of hills, at least one mountain, a river to the northwest and the Vast Swamp.

• Shadowdale - There's the Dagger Hills and the river Ashaba.

Arguments for or against any of these dales are welcome! Additional suggestions are also welcome.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
George Krashos Posted - 21 May 2020 : 02:35:10
On the fringes of Archendale in the Thunder Peaks.

-- George Krashos
Azar Posted - 19 May 2020 : 01:54:26
Hm...no other takers? Color me surprised; I thought the Dalelands was one of the more popular stomping grounds of Forgotten Realms DMs.
Kentinal Posted - 11 May 2020 : 23:47:09
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

If the mine is no longer producing silver, why would the town remain? That's a rather important question... Logistically, it's easier to have an abandoned mine without a town at all, or the ruins of a town that's long since been abandoned.

Many Towns can out last the reason they were founded. In part the support for mining industries are varied. Smiths to make the mining tools, farmers to grow food and teamsters to move goods all are examples.
As the prime industry, in this case a mine, winds down many people do leave. There however are the farmers who need smiths for their tools remain, farmers can not just move their farmland. A trade route to some extent could also have been established.
Certainly the Town would suffer population decease as mining deceased, however there can be a core of people that remain for generations later.
Azar Posted - 11 May 2020 : 21:19:02
quote:

If the mine is no longer producing silver, why would the town remain? That's a rather important question... Logistically, it's easier to have an abandoned mine without a town at all, or the ruins of a town that's long since been abandoned.

At one point, the ownership of the mine was turned over to a man much more even-handed and far less avaricious. Conditions were rough, but this new fellow came to love the land and became invested in it beyond the single source of revenue he was tasked with managing. When it become clear that the ore was drying up, he started to reach out for solutions to keep the town afloat for those who had settled down: families, yes, but also adventurers who, for one reason or another, preferred the solitude of open land over the bustling cities. There is farmland close enough to provide some economic incentive to stick around, but he also started building a "hero economy". Note that I had mentioned the gigantic variety of certain edible fish in a neighboring tributary; there is an individual in town that is able to go out and catch them...no easy feat for most independent fisherman and not a worthwhile investment for most fishing outfits (even if they were aware of the location). Other examples of highly capable adventurers working substantially lucrative odd jobs exist, but I think you get the gist of how this place operates.

Finally, there is another reason why the town persists despite the fact that its former raison d'etre no longer exists, but I do not want to go into here on the off chance this thread spoils the surprise.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 May 2020 : 03:07:58
Azar Posted - 10 May 2020 : 23:54:15
quote:

Shadowdale and Daggerdale have the most coverage, if you're wanting lots of detailed information.

I've a fondness for Deepingdale, myself. I like the flavor of the place; the fact that it's one of the few places where elves and humans coexist without issue.

The Darkwatch, where a chunk of Moander remains, not-so-dormant, is near there, too, so there's a bit of potential adventuring right there.

Greetings, Sir Wooly (or do you prefer Sir Rupert?).

In your esteemed opinion, which of the six bullet-pointed Dales can feature a remote and now exhausted silver mine with accompanying town that doesn't attract a plethora of attention? Some may question as to why it hadn't been overrun by opportunistic financiers or an especially cutthroat brigand with the twinkle of lordship in his eyes. As for an explanation, most of the burden will no doubt fall on me, but my job will be considerably easier if I situate this hub of adventure in a favorable location.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 May 2020 : 19:07:35
Shadowdale and Daggerdale have the most coverage, if you're wanting lots of detailed information.

I've a fondness for Deepingdale, myself. I like the flavor of the place; the fact that it's one of the few places where elves and humans coexist without issue.

The Darkwatch, where a chunk of Moander remains, not-so-dormant, is near there, too, so there's a bit of potential adventuring right there.
Azar Posted - 05 May 2020 : 19:03:55
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

Do you have an idea of what year you are looking to set this in because that can have a substantial effect on your setting. For example, Randal Morn didn't reclaim control of Daggerdale until 1369. Previous to that, it was under Zhent control (starting in 1336). Even after he took it back, there were quite a few wondering bands of monsters there (sent by the Zhents). Throughout that period, traders tended to avoid the area unless VERY well armed/protected.

Ah yes, the date...the date...the date is presently something of a moving target. Because I come from a D&D 3e/3.5e background, my instinct is to favor either 1371 or 1372 D.R.
TheIriaeban Posted - 05 May 2020 : 18:34:31
Do you have an idea of what year you are looking to set this in because that can have a substantial effect on your setting. For example, Randal Morn didn't reclaim control of Daggerdale until 1369. Previous to that, it was under Zhent control (starting in 1336). Even after he took it back, there were quite a few wondering bands of monsters there (sent by the Zhents). Throughout that period, traders tended to avoid the area unless VERY well armed/protected.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000