Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Abeiran Rock Trolls and Gargoyles

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 19 Apr 2020 : 23:45:33
So, about a year or two back, I was watching some kids show on Netflix about some hidden "trolls" in the USA (forget he name of the show, but it was by Guillermo Del Toro (spelling?)). I also started looking at Disney+ since I've watched all of the Mandalorian and the last season of Clone Wars... and I noticed there was the old Disney Gargoyles tv series that I used to love.

So, that reminded me of an idea I had kind of discussed here that I felt might fit for a good racial/monster concept for Abeir. Specifically, I pictured a race that followed the good old classic rules that "when the sun hits it, it turns to stone". However, that can be VERY limiting in an aboveground game. So, for a moment, I wanted to just plug you guys for some ideas for mechanics.

I pictured there being 2 different races of beings. One being size medium but with wings (i.e. Abeiran gargoyles) and the other being size large (Abeiran trolls). Both are "big" creatures with bonuses to say str and con for the trolls, and maybe str and dex for the gargoyles. Both should have some kind of ties to the earth, such that when in contact with it they gain a bonus (like possibly regeneration). They should have some kind of natural armor due to their tough hides. Maybe they have horns and some kind of head butt and/or claw attacks. But, the question comes down to how to handle the sunlight hitting them

What if the "turning to stone" via natural light is MUCH slower. I'm picturing something wherein every hour they lose say 10 feet of movement per round from natural light (this should start immediately, such that after an hour they're moving 20 feet slower). That might give them say 2 hours to reach safety. Meanwhile, if they get hit by radiant damage or a spell that says it duplicate sunlight, then perhaps they have to make a save or immediately become petrified until the setting of the sun or somesuch. Is there a better mechanic to simulate this?

BTW, I fully get that this would make clerics of particular danger to them, since most clerics will have a cantrip that does radiant damage. That's part of the "story" I picture with these beings, is that radiant damage wasn't something exceptionally common in Abeiran magics, and then some Torilians get transferred over along with some of their gods in "lesser avatar" form. This makes these beings particularly disturbed by the followers of gods and encourages conflict. While in Abeir, I picture all former clerics having to work using the rules in the DMs Guild product "Priestess Ancient World Divine Class", which SEVERELY hampers a priests spellcasting and requires a lot more devotion and sacrifice. However, they do still get cantrips.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 19 May 2020 : 15:52:11
Been thinking more on this. I'm thinking the change should occur in say ten minutes. That should be enough time for them in desperation to find someplace. So, its not the 6 seconds from the show, but its not "forever". Radiant damage should remove minutes from this time based on a percentage of the creature's hit points (say if they take 1/4 damage, they enter stonesleep, and maybe at 1/10 damage they are slowed and start to lose flight capability).

3d model created for the gargoyle. Let me know if you like it. Please read the summary too and give feedback.
Abeiran Gargoyle (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4377425) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
sleyvas Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 21:06:57
Not sure how to adapt to 4e rules, as I was entirely thinking 5e. However, I had been considering the idea that radiant damage might shorten the clock. Maybe every point of damager shortens the clock by 10 minutes (and thus, 12 points would make it 2 hours). It would make it enough that radiant damage may not kill them immediately, and maybe they'd have to get hit by 2 or 3 cantrip blasts to be stopped.... but the second they start seeing light blasts from sacred flame they flip out and start fleeing.
Delnyn Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 17:26:10
How about radiant damage shortens the clock the trolls and gargoyles have before petrification? Saving throw means either no damage (clock time does not shorten) or less damage (time does not shorten as much). Clerics in Abeir have piddly cantrips so the time won't shorten by much. How about 1 minute lost per hit point radiant damage? Maybe every 5 points of damage slows the creature's movement further.
Sorry about the vagueness but I need to repurchase some of my old 4e core books.
Derulbaskul Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 16:38:19
I like it.

I still run both the 4E rules and the 4E version of FR and have been looking up to increase my "imports" from Abeir - weird monsters and the like. These may very well get a guernsey; thanks!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000