Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 D&D Starter Adventure - Set in the Realms?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
George Krashos Posted - 10 Jun 2014 : 02:54:23
I've just seen Mike Mearls' latest "Legend Lore" column, which talks about the adventure in the upcoming D&D Starter Set being a return to B2 "Keep on the Borderlands". The adventure is by Rich Baker and is called "Lost Mine of Phandelver". The local village is Phandalin, which as you will know is a place located north of Leilon in the Realms.

Is this adventure set in the Realms? Can we assume that the Realms is once again the "default setting" for the Core? What do people think about that if it is?

-- George Krashos
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kentinal Posted - 14 Jun 2014 : 00:29:09
*mutters* B2 was set in the Known World, Basic D&D and had nothing to do with Forgotten Realms.

So has Isle of Dread (X1) also moved to the Realms?
The Hooded One Posted - 14 Jun 2014 : 00:23:51
George, to answer your question re. the setting of the adventure: a certain long-bearded and not so little birdee tells me "Yes." So, the Lost Mine IS set in the Realms, and the locale is almost certainly as you surmise.
love,
THO
Markustay Posted - 13 Jun 2014 : 14:03:19
I think this is a great thing, but at the same time, I think a lot of 'old school' (GH and perhaps even Mystara) adventures are now going to get relocated. I personally have NO problem with that - I've been doing it for years. I think, however, that many die-hard grognards will piss & moan over it.

But thats okay, every edition has its complainers, so we may as well give them something to complain about and get it over with.

Once again, I am very much looking forward to to 5e, and am hoping this brings The Forgotten Realms back into the limelight. I still get a lot of map-requests, so I know the interest is still there. If they using the Sundering to do a sort-of 'unifying the settings' thing (at least where mosules are concerned0, it may be a bit jarring at first, but I think in the end they will have a MUCH broader array of great lore to choose from, making FR that much better in the long-run.

C'mon... who amongst us hasn't wanted to see Ed's Five Shires ported into the Realms... officially?
Faraer Posted - 10 Jun 2014 : 04:03:11
First, I'd be careful with the term 'core'. For instance, through habit they've talked about the PH, DMG and MM as 'core rulebooks', but they've also indicated than in a way Basic D&D is the core, with those books presenting options.

Yes, Mearls had already said the Starter Set adventure was set in the Realms, if that's not clear enough from the latest column. (Well, he said 'It is FR', but I digress.)

The Realms is not the default setting in any overall, formal way, but they seem to be turning to it a lot instead of a 'generic' setting (that is, a new setting no one knows anything about). It's the basis of the general art direction (via Jon Schindehette's development project), and the setting for the Starter Set adventure and the other two scheduled non-Realms-branded adventure books, and, at this point, for the D&D Adventurers League public play system. Examples in the three rulebooks, though, will use various different D&D worlds, not only the Realms.

The Starter Set scenario seems very positive news (as I've said) -- surely not Realms-in-name-only as with the Introduction to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons set (the one set in 'Freedale'), and introducing many new players to the setting. My feelings at this point towards Tyranny of Dragons are mainly negative: yet one more top-down high-concept storyline imposed on the Realms from without, and if it shows any more sensitivity to how the Realms works (e.g. not resolving something that would unfold over years or decades of manipulations by a series of one band's direct confrontations) I'll be pleasantly surprised. And the precedent for more such use of the Realms as a playground for the designers' latest bright ideas is not what we'd been led to hope by the talk of the Sundering as the last RSE.
Irennan Posted - 10 Jun 2014 : 03:06:59
Mike Mearls explicitly said that FR is going to be the core setting.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/tabletop/11554-Inside-the-Launch-of-the-New-Dungeons-Dragons-With-Designer-Mike-Mearls.5
Right under the picture.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000