Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 5e Realms Wishlist

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Arcanamach Posted - 07 Jun 2014 : 08:49:35
Just asking fellow scribes, Now that the Sundering novels have all hit the shelves...what is YOUR wishlist for the 5e iteration of the Realms?

Mine are:
1. Cheesy as it may be but I want Khelben to return OR a similar Chosen to show up somewhere. Kel was my favorite among Mystra's Chosen so I was rather peeved when he was removed from the setting.

2. Candlekeep's wards and Myth Drannor's mythal. Candlekeep I suppose could remain as-is but it wouldn't make sense to me. Myth Drannor, though, is iconic for it's mythal and needs to be restored...even if it's broken.

3. The Simbul needs to exist in some form (she was my 2nd favorite of the Chosen). I honestly don't care if Dove, Quilue, or Sylune return/exist in some form.

4. Larloch should return soon, as should the Srinshee. Just because.

5. Halruaa, Nimbral, Luiren, Mulhorand, Unther need to be revived in some form. It needs to be credible though, not just hand-waved.

6. Likewise, Thay needs to be revised with the return of some of the zulkirs.

If you can't tell, I'm somewhat of a grognard (I actually wanted a complete reset of the timeline to pre-ToT). But, this is just my wish list, what is yours?
28   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Aytros Posted - 09 Jun 2014 : 17:53:19
1) Totally agree that they need to develop the rest of the Realms! It is a huge setting and they need to take advantage of it. Not much else needs to be said about this.

2) I don't mind the established heroes whether it be Drizzt or Elminster or whoever. For me this ties into the first problem. People get sick of them and they seem to be handling every little crisis that pops up because currently thats all WotC prints. But the Realms is a big place . I think that if they started paying attention to the places outside of the North or Cormyr it would really reinforce this and the Heroes would begin to seem not so large.

3) Keep the Chosen around but limit them. 7-10 chosen for one deity is a bit much. Keep it at one or two, three at the absolute most.

Aytros Posted - 09 Jun 2014 : 17:51:58
1) Totally agree that they need to develop the rest of the Realms! It is a huge setting and they need to take advantage of it. Not much else needs to be said about this.

2) I don't mind the established heroes whether it be Drizzt or Elminster or whoever. For me this ties into the first problem. People get sick of them and they seem to be handling every little crisis that pops up because currently thats all WotC prints. But the Realms is a big place . I think that if they started paying attention to the places outside of the North or Cormyr it would really reinforce this and the Heroes would begin to seem not so large.

3) Keep the Chosen around but limit them. 7-10 chosen for one deity is a bit much. Keep it at one or two, three at the absolute most.

hashimashadoo Posted - 09 Jun 2014 : 12:28:09
* I don't mind if Eilistraee and Vhaeraun come back or not - I'd prefer it if they did however - but if they do I would prefer that they play much smaller roles. I got fed up of all the rebellious drow in 4e. I'm not saying at all that there should only be Lolth loyalists, but there shouldn't be the impression that the rebels are outnumbering the loyalists, which is the one I got for the duration of 3.5.
* Shadovar are fine with me, I just don't want the Netherese cropping up EVERYWHERE. Keep them as a threat that everyone is worried about in Cormyr, the Dalelands and Sembia but restrict their main activities to those regions. Now that Thultanthar and Sakkors are gone they shouldn't have the resources to send small armies all over the continent. Maybe one lone archwizard and a bodyguard or two at most.

I understand that they're not likely to get rid of those looking for Xinlenal but they should have that force for the most part separated from the core shadovar force.
* I never 'got' the Abolethic Sovereignty. Seemed to me they were trying to be Lovecraftian without actually being Lovecraftian and failing. I'm glad that they seem to be going away.
* The Chosen were a tool for DMs to rein in troublemaking players in my mind (there's always a more powerful NPC). But good-aligned uber-NPCs have their own stories to tell and they are frequently well-told tales. This is a case of 'Don't hate the game, hate the player'. It not the Realms' fault that the Chosen are overused. The Chosen are a resource, it's up to the people who play the game whether they get used or not.
* Lantan can come back, again, I'm not too bothered. Steampunk is cool but I never thought it felt very 'Realmsian'. If it comes back though, it'd be a neat sandbox to play with steampunk toys, trying to reclaim the waterlogged land.
* I agree wholeheartedly with Diffan on making the gods shut up. They became far too in-your-face even before they had the excuse of the Sundering. Unless there's a crisis that threatens the gods themselves they should be STRICTLY background characters and even then, they should be working through powerful mortal or outsider servants. The appearance of a god or its avatar should be a momentous event, not something that every PC with levels in the high teens should be expecting to encounter.
* Eladrin are extraplanar beings. Turning moon and sun elves into eladrin is just confusing. As for Genasi, they should only be descended from elemental creatures who are capable of sexual reproduction with a mortal like genies and azer. Having a type of genasi for every quasi- and para-elemental plane is ridiculous unless there's a tonne of humanoid elementals with traditional genitals that nobody ever talks about.
* I definitely want to see EVERY region get its own book that goes into as much detail as is appropriate. We are in desperate need of new lore.
* Most of all: MOST OF ALL: Any and all changes must be made in a way that makes narrative sense. Don't just dump stuff in there with little-to no explanation or with the flimsy excuse of "It was always there. You just didn't know about it 'til this happened".

I DO NOT want a retcon to the late 1300s. I want the timeline to progress, not get turned back. You can't just wish the bad memories away, you gotta find a way to reconcile them and move on.
Regcod Posted - 09 Jun 2014 : 08:42:44
You all already wrote what I wanted :P

I can just only add little things:

1) I Love and play nowaday yet the history until 1372 DR, and will not include event after that, but some events of spellplagues intrigue me. I hate draconic character (I don't need them, if I want to play with that I'll change setting to Dragonlance) and the reduced selection for subraces (no Eladrin thanks, I love to see Moon elves, Sun elves and so on like any dwarven or halfling subraces!).

2) I want back all the regions mentioned before (Evermeet and Lantan are a must and should came back some as before).

3) Eilistraee and Vhaeraun not only must be brought back, but as a raising power not a lesser one. Vhaeraun was the male response for evil drow that wanted to live to surface to Lolth, can't be cut off this way. For Eilistraee there is nothing to add than also the Harper were helping to diffuse the knowledge on the realms about her...
Same other drow gods must came back, there couldn't be only Lolth as evil power.
I would have also someone that replace them all but the same sphere of influence and alignment, because these kind of 'figure' are missing in the 4th edition for the realms.

4) Mask and Helm couldn't be missing anymore, and the confusion about Lathander/Amaunator must be solved.

5) I completely agree that all the rest of realms land must be developed, because look like that only a portion is really living...
Drustan Dwnhaedan Posted - 09 Jun 2014 : 01:02:24
I don't really see much point in making a wishlist, since there's really only one thing that I want. (And, since it's something I seem to mention in every other post, I'm not going to bother mentioning it for the nth time here.)
BenN Posted - 08 Jun 2014 : 22:49:34
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan
reading the "Ask Ed" thread has at least given me some hope as he said basically not all the city was destroyed and that it's going to take some serious cleaning up. This means that it's possible for elves to establish out-posts and staging areas for people (such as Player Characters) to go in and find and/or fix things to make it possible to live in again. So while it's not the pinnacle of heightened elven society it was striving to be before The Herald, it's possible we can get adventures that make it so, or at least a good detailed description of the city for people to change in their home games.

Exactly. This is my thinking too.
Diffan Posted - 08 Jun 2014 : 20:48:15
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by BenN

A lot of people complained about the epilogue of Final Gate, and now there's gnashing of teeth about The Herald, for opposite reasons. Damned if you do........

I've not read the Sundering books, yet... In fact, I've not even bought them all, yet... That said, I've heard about the ending of The Herald, and I'm perhaps the single most vocal critic of the epilogue of Final Gate...

But what I've heard about The Herald doesn't bother me. I think Myth Drannor is most effective as ruins, and my main complaint about the Last Mythal was that they removed a lot of roleplaying potential with the city's swift reclamation.

I was a big fan of the Final Gate and though it did well to distinguish the over all attitude of Forgotten Realms elves to that of Tolkien elves because the parallels were just far too close for my liking prior to that series. The fact that Myth Drannor was starting to be reclaimed gave me hope that we'd see more products about it in the future. Sadly none of that came to pass due to 4E's (IMO stupid)2-3 sourcebook and done design.

But even in the heyday of 4E, Myth Drannor was only really "established" on the outside. In the novel Avenger (or perhaps it was Corsair, i can't remember) by Richard Baker the protagonist has to break into the upper catacombs of the city to get something pivotal to the plot but they're heavily warded due to the significant amount of monsters still trapped beneath. This shows that the reclamation is a slow-going process and that there are still TONS of room for adventure. But it's never really shown much in the FRCG or articles thereafter so it gets overlooked. I would've loved to have a fun adventure planned for clearing out parts of the city in an attempt to help the elves reclaim more.

So moving to The Herald, yea I was initially really mad that they had a stupid city fall on top of Myth Drannor, yet again making it a place that now will probably never be "fixed". However, reading the "Ask Ed" thread has at least given me some hope as he said basically not all the city was destroyed and that it's going to take some serious cleaning up. This means that it's possible for elves to establish out-posts and staging areas for people (such as Player Characters) to go in and find and/or fix things to make it possible to live in again. So while it's not the pinnacle of heightened elven society it was striving to be before The Herald, it's possible we can get adventures that make it so, or at least a good detailed description of the city for people to change in their home games.
Plaguescarred Posted - 08 Jun 2014 : 09:25:05
My 5e Realms Wishlist has been mostly fulfilled already but is what i wanted;

1. Move story forward (no retcon as it suck for 4E Realms fan to erase this history)
2. Bring back dead or disappeared dieties (Mask, Helm, Lathander, Eilistraee etc..)
3. Bring back power groups to the forefronts (The Harpers, Zhentarim, lord's Alliance, Cult of the Dragon etc...)
4. Dispel (most) Spellplague lingering effects on people and land.
5. Bring back dead and wild magic zones. (Always fun playing with these!)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Jun 2014 : 04:58:58
quote:

A lot of people complained about the epilogue of Final Gate, and now there's gnashing of teeth about The Herald, for opposite reasons. Damned if you do........

I've not read the Sundering books, yet... In fact, I've not even bought them all, yet... That said, I've heard about the ending of The Herald, and I'm perhaps the single most vocal critic of the epilogue of Final Gate...

But what I've heard about The Herald doesn't bother me. I think Myth Drannor is most effective as ruins, and my main complaint about the Last Mythal was that they removed a lot of roleplaying potential with the city's swift reclamation.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Jun 2014 : 04:53:18
My main wishes are to make the Realms resemble what it once did... While I'd love to see them roll back the clock and handwave the 4E era (and some of the 3E era) out of existence, that's not going to happen... So I want the geography back the way it was (especially with the Great Rift and the Shining South)*, and I want the sense of wonder to be back.

I also want to see multiple bad guys again. The 3E era ushered in an era of "all Shade and Shar, ALL THE TIME!" and that was a huge turnoff for me. I want to see other bad guys, and I want to see evil plots happen that don't involve Shar, the Shades, or both.

And to echo eeorey, I want my mostly-human-but-not-quite genasi (and other planetouched) to be back. I hated the glow-in-the-dark nounsoul schtick, and want to go back to the 2E/3E planetouched who looked mostly normal, except for one or two minor differences.

*Note: I did not find Laerakond objectionable; it certainly had more appeal to me than Maztica. That said, Maztica had long been a part of the published Realms, and Laerakond was part of a retcon. For that reason only, I'd prefer to see Maztica back.
sfdragon Posted - 08 Jun 2014 : 04:43:07
yeah, okay

then here is the master novel series list
Ed Greenwood presents: Cormyr
Ed Greenwood presents: Silverymoon
RAS presents : Icewind Dale
Steven Schend presents: Neverwinter
Ed Greenwood presents: Aglorand
one of the authors presents : Thay
author of choice presents: The Moonsea
authorof choice presents: Baldur's gate
Author of choice presents: Amn
Author of choice presents: Tales of The Uthgardt Barbarians
Author of Choice presents: Tales of the Zhents
Author of Choice presents: Tales of Cormyr's defenders
Author of choice presents: Tales of terror on the Sea of Swords( from pirates to privateers)
Ed Greenwod Presents: The Lost tales of Ancient Netheril

you get the idea....

anyway what I'd like to see in 5e is that Halruua is restored
The Arcanamach Posted - 08 Jun 2014 : 01:57:41
@sfdragon: I like your idea but those areas have been somewhat detailed before (especially Cormyr). I would like to expand that concept to include far more areas though. I really think they could release something like this every two months and it would make Wizbro good money. It's all about the content. If each installment includes content similar to the Volo's Guide series they would sell methinks. Especially if we get secrets, magic, and plot hooks in every book along with NPCs, local business establishments, info on temples, etc.
sfdragon Posted - 07 Jun 2014 : 23:21:28
everything that IO want taht I dont have time to post +
the following novel series.

Ed Greenwood presents: Cormyr
Ed Greenwood presents: Silverymoon
RAS presents : Icewind Dale
Steven Schend presents: Neverwinter....

the above way can easily bring in new characters like the waterdeep ones did, and we get to read more on other areas.

atleast we wont have Ed Greenwood presents: the life and times of Mirt.... you know I think i'd read that one.
Delwa Posted - 07 Jun 2014 : 16:22:47
I'm agreed with Diffan on detailing new areas. I still want blank areas on the map, places I can detail to "make the Realms my own," but I don't think we need more Waterdeep. However, I would like to see an update PDF, kind of like they did for the Core books between 3.0 and 3.5. Do a PDF for each "over done" area, giving a few plot hooks and updates for what's changed in the past few decades. Or do the same idea through Dungeon/Dragon articles.

Diffan Posted - 07 Jun 2014 : 15:42:38
Mine are:

1. Make Gods shut the hell up. I'm sick of them literally getting involved with crap on the prime material plane. Gods, for the most part, need to be distance because....they're GODS! They shouldn't be directly involved with every single little nuance that exists in the Realms. Have them be there and work though their mortal followers. I understand that it's sorta what happened in the last few books but there goes Mystra again doing her thing.....again. It's really dull and boring and formulaic.

2. I love Lantan to remain at the bottom of the Trackless Sea but keep it alive and well with a Steampunk / Bioshock vibe. And make it so they let people know they're there and maybe create an outpost on the surface of the Sea so that people and still conduct trade and what-not.

3. Make the evil powers actually evil. I get the feeling that once again Evil is going to be the silly, Saturday cartoon sort of evil I read a lot of in the early Realms projects. The Zhentarim need plans and they should involve slowly conquering areas of the Western Heartlands. Thay could have a Civil War, and that would be cool, but it should be messy and probably overlap into other areas. It'd be cool to see some of the remaining Zulkiers turn to Rasheman for help in controlling / removing Zass Tam from power (yet also have a sub-plot to destory the Hathrans).

4. Please keep the novels from this point out relatively minor, dealing with only localized areas of the world. I'm really sick of hearing events that span half the damn continent.

5. How about actually exploring other parts of the world? That'd be nice. Ya'know, like those other places that just have a name and literally nothing else? What goes on there? What sort of strange features or monsters or even government do they have? Further, how about we DON'T get a Waterdeep, Neverwinter, Baldur's Gate, Menzoberranzan book and instead get a place they haven't actually detailed to death.
Delwa Posted - 07 Jun 2014 : 14:36:56
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

1. Cheesy as it may be but I want Khelben to return OR a similar Chosen to show up somewhere. Kel was my favorite among Mystra's Chosen so I was rather peeved when he was removed from the setting.

Yes. I haven't read up on Khelben's spirit from 4E, but even if he became a ghost that fully manifests and inhabits the tower, something of a questgiver/wise ghost that advises a new, young, Hidden Lord of Waterdeep that is following in the Blackstaff's footsteps, I'd be ok.

quote:

2. Candlekeep's wards and Myth Drannor's mythal. Candlekeep I suppose could remain as-is but it wouldn't make sense to me. Myth Drannor, though, is iconic for it's mythal and needs to be restored...even if it's broken.

I definitely want to see Myth Drannor rebuilt, I want the kingdom of Cormanthor to be reborn.

quote:

Yes.

quote:

5. Halruaa, Nimbral, Luiren, Mulhorand, Unther need to be revived in some form. It needs to be credible though, not just hand-waved.

I'd be saddened if it weren't done.

quote:

I couldn't agree more. Ye ole Tam has had his century of fame. I'm tired of him, and want some variety. He has a monopoly in Thay, and we need to break it

I'm not so sure about Evermeet. I want it back, but if it doesn't come back, wasn't there some newer Elven city in the far North that was kind of a retreat? I'd like to see that developed.
BenN Posted - 07 Jun 2014 : 14:33:54
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan
Yep, I did see that. But if WotC wanted something like that to be added to a novel, then you can bet that they did it for a reason that won't magically go away any time soon. In this case that reason was making Myth Drannor the dungeon crawl that it was in the past (which honestly I completely disagree with, but w/e).

I remain optimistic about this. Ed seems to be pretty clear about it, and I'm guessing that the reason its not made clear in The Herald is to allow a 'cliff-hanger' ending, and to set things up (but allow creative freedom) for future novels. In other words, kinda like the opposite of what happened at the end of Final Gate, with the jump 5 years into the future, Myth Drannor having been made safe, rebuilt, etc.

Delwa Posted - 07 Jun 2014 : 14:19:40
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Yes. I haven't read up on Khelben's spirit from 4E, but even if he became a ghost that fully manifests and inhabits the tower, something of a questgiver/wise ghost that advises a new, young, Hidden Lord of Waterdeep that is following in the Blackstaff's footsteps, I'd be ok.

quote:

I definitely want to see Myth Drannor rebuilt, I want the kingdom of Cormanthor to be reborn.

quote:

Yes.

quote:

I'd be saddened if it weren't done.

quote:

I couldn't agree more. Ye ole Tam has had his century of fame. I'm tired of him, and want some variety. He has a monopoly in Thay, and we need to break it

I'm not so sure about Evermeet. I want it back, but if it doesn't come back, wasn't there some newer Elven city in the far North that was kind of a retreat? I'd like to see that developed.
Irennan Posted - 07 Jun 2014 : 13:58:52
quote:

quote:
I want to see elves trying to rebuild Myth Drannor yet again, but nothing will probably be ever done about that, since what happened in the Herald makes it very clear that WotC sees the city as a huge dungeon crawl.

I disagree, and am hopeful about this. Have you read what Ed has to say about this in his "Questions for Ed" scroll?

Yep, I did see that. But if WotC wanted something like that to be added to a novel, then you can bet that they did it for a reason that won't magically go away any time soon. In this case that reason was making Myth Drannor the dungeon crawl that it was in the past (which honestly I completely disagree with, but w/e).
BenN Posted - 07 Jun 2014 : 13:52:51
quote:
I want to see elves trying to rebuild Myth Drannor yet again, but nothing will probably be ever done about that, since what happened in the Herald makes it very clear that WotC sees the city as a huge dungeon crawl.

I disagree, and am hopeful about this. Have you read what Ed has to say about this in his "Questions for Ed" scroll?

As for the future, I'd like to see:

1) Elminster & the current Chosen go into retirement. I'd be happy to see Amarune take over El's mantle, and even no replacement for the Chosen. They seem to be semi-immortal with demigod-like powers, and frankly its more interesting to read about characters with more flaws, and less chance of escaping death.

2) Similarly, Drizzt can retire. Doum'wielle can take over the reins; she's potentially a more interesting, complex character (being an equal mix of two races who absolutely hate each other).

3) Evermeet returning to Faerun. I get that it was it was felt that Evermeet was becoming too 'mundane', but effectively getting rid of it to the Feywild was a mistake IMHO.

4) E & V return, even if much reduced in power. I think they add much to the drow.
Irennan Posted - 07 Jun 2014 : 12:51:35
quote:
Originally posted by eeorey

7 Lantan to be brought back as well, it was the one steampunkish place that we had why take it away?

Oh, I agree with this. But then again, they basically deleted the gnomes from the Realms...
eeorey Posted - 07 Jun 2014 : 12:36:30
1 Mulhorand and Unther, I really liked the mulan and having them go "puff they're gone" was like a kick in the crotch.

2 The Vilhon reach, my favorite place in the realms, I loved Chondath being this sort of italic city states, and the history of Jhaamdath. I liked the confrontation there with Sespech, and the yuan-ti city of Hlondeth. I really wanna see that part of the realms restored/developed my favorite novels were the "House of Serpents" and "Scions of Arrabar" trilogies.

3 No more Eladrin, they are Elves.

4 Genasi to be more like the old genasi not "500differentelementssoul-genasithatglowsinthedarkandisparttornadopartvolcano"

5 Eilistraee to be brought back.

6 Calimshan going back to the decadent, rich and powerful nation that it was not a war-torn desert with a couple of gladiator cities, and to be ruled by the calimshite not genasi.

7 Lantan to be brought back as well, it was the one steampunkish place that we had why take it away?

8 More stuff written about dwarves in general.

9 More stuff written about places that aren't in the north.
Gary Dallison Posted - 07 Jun 2014 : 11:09:25
What do I want fron 5e? I want 1371 dr.

I dont like nu coke its completely different to coca cola. While they keep making coca cola I will buy it. Same applies to FR. Nu FR is not the same as original FR, I dont like the taste of nu FR so im not buying something I dont like.

I also think the novels should only be a possibile version of major plot lines. Im fed up of the major plots being solved by munchkins. What happened to the old way of saying adventurers solved a certain problem and keeping the specifics vague.

I wanted to run the war in cormyr. I wanted to run the return of shade. I could do it way better than the Mary Sue novels. Write novels by all means, but dont force one writer's interpretation of characters on the rest of us.

Oh and gimme back 1371 or I never give another penny to DnD again, which is a shame because I love DnD and FR. I dont love having everything I ever knew about the place utterly destroyed.
Neo2151 Posted - 07 Jun 2014 : 11:01:19
I should clarify my 2nd point a bit. I let a little too much of my personal bias slip in there.

It's not so much that I'm against the current heroes. It's more than I wish there was more room for new heroes to grow. When the biggest names in the Realms are also semi-immortal and/or very young elves, they never really go away.
I'm not against WizBro making money off of popular characters - that's the name of the game, after all. What I'm against is super-focused attention on specific characters that doesn't allow for new and interesting characters to grow.

When was the last time Bob Salvatore got to introduce a new hero to the grand scheme? 1991 with Canticle?
And maybe I'm totally off-base here. Maybe Salvatore is totally happy and content writing nothing but Drizzt stories. But even if he wanted to break into something new, he couldn't, because anything new wouldn't be a Realms poster-boy.
The Arcanamach Posted - 07 Jun 2014 : 09:55:53
I agree about developing all of the Realms Demzer. I just wish the powers that be would get the message.

Separating the rules from the setting would be nice but can only be done so much. I get what you're saying though. Things like blowing Mystra to the Nine Hells every time a new iteration of the rules comes out is OLD.

I disagree with the Heroes of Yesterday though. For starters, you can't just get rid of Drizzt and Co. because they are money in the bank for Wizbro, and they have a right to make money. Second, and this ties in with the first point...people like to read about them. It wouldn't be right to to deny their fans the stories of their favorite heroes. Personally, I would like to see authors allowed to write in any era they wish in order to flesh out more of the lore and lift some of the NDAs that have existed for decades.

I completely agree with points 3 and 4. For the record though, Manshoon was never the joke he was officially in Ed's home Realms. He's a real schemer and, if you read Elminster Presents the Forgotten Realms, their is a passage in it about one final clone of Manshoon who was awoken, realized what was happening with all of the other clones (during the 'clone wars') and used magic to go back into stasis and only be able to return when all other clones are destroyed. THAT Manshoon is the most dangerous of them, according to Ed, and I think will be a great villian once the others are out of the way. I have to hope that plans are already in the making to get rid of the last ones (I think there are only 2 or 3 left now).
Irennan Posted - 07 Jun 2014 : 09:42:51
After what happened in the Sundering:

1)I want Eilistraee and Vhaeraun to be back in action. They are my favourite characters -especially Eilistraee- and I feel very strongly about their removal from the Realms, particularly because Eilistraee's 'achievements' in those events were incoherent with her character, what she stands for and her goal. They are iconic to the realmsian drow, I wouldn't even care for this race, if it wasn't for them.
EDIT: Idc if they return as deities, as arch-whatever or even if they reincarnate in a couple of drow -I would like this even better, tbh- I just want those characters back in the 5E era FR.

2)
quote:
Halruaa, Nimbral, Luiren, Mulhorand, Unther need to be revived in some form. It needs to be credible though, not just hand-waved.

I want Halruaa back too. It's a region I have always liked and was very annoyed when they nuked it. I don't care much for Mulhorand/Unther, but I don't mind them either.

3)
quote:
Likewise, Thay needs to be revised with the return of some of the zulkirs.

I'd like that too.

4)
quote:

Candlekeep's wards and Myth Drannor's mythal. Candlekeep I suppose could remain as-is but it wouldn't make sense to me. Myth Drannor, though, is iconic for it's mythal and needs to be restored...even if it's broken.

5)I don't mind the chosen, but I'm not invested in them either. I like Qilue and Laeral, tho.

6)I want to see more about Liriel, Arilyn, Danilo, Elaith. In short, I want more stories about Elaine's characters.
Neo2151 Posted - 07 Jun 2014 : 09:30:02
I don't really have a list, per se, but just some general feelings:

1- Retcon away all the previous retconning that shattered fan faith in the setting.
Yes, I'm fully aware that they have no plans to retcon anything out, but dammit, divorce the setting from the Game Rules already, would you? Let D&D be D&D and Forgotten Realms be Forgotten Realms!

2- Let the heroes of yesterday stay gone.
Elminster dies off/retires/whatever. Drizzt finally faces a foe he can't defeat for once in his life. If ever there was a complaint about the Realms, it was that it was bloated with people who could already get the job done, leaving no room for personal adventures. You can still write amazing novels about amazing characters doing amazing things, but let's keep them small-scale and localized. The "hero of the Realms" should really go away so we can hear more about the "hero of [insert specific event/specific city/etc]."

3- Follow stories that make sense within the setting itself. Let the world breathe!
For example, it would be a great idea for Thay to have a serious civil war to recover it's identity. Not only do the fans want it, but do you really think the masters of the other seven schools of magic are just gonna sit back and let necromancy have it's way?
More of this type of thinking - logical, "a leads to b" kind of stuff, but on a very "national" and "historical" scale.

4- Keep the power shifting.
I'm so tired of hearing about Shade. I just am. We hardly ever got to hear about Thay before Szass Tam wrecked it. The Zhentarim was always a joke because (from what I understand) the editors wouldn't let their truly insidious side ever show in the writing (admit it, Manshoon has always been the biggest joke of realms villains, and we all agree on that don't we?)
Evil doesn't sit idly by while other evil dominates it. It's always searching for a way to be on top. I'd like to see those power struggles happening more (and if that means there's always a fresh villain for the reader/gamer to tackle, then all the better, right?)

Edit:
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer
2 - Develop all the Realms, not just Cormyr and Waterdeep.

Quoted for truth. Don't get me wrong; I'm super-glad that the Sword Coast has a very fleshed-out identity, but the Realms is more than just the Sword Coast, isn't it? I mean, it's been almost 30 years and most of the continent feels totally alien.
Demzer Posted - 07 Jun 2014 : 09:21:18
1 - Get Mr. Schend to fix the nonsensical pile of goo they turned the Lands of Intrigue into.
2 - Develop all the Realms, not just Cormyr and Waterdeep.
(Bonus) 3 - Nuke catfish city from orbit.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000