Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What Exactly Is the Sundering? (Conjectures)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dennis Posted - 17 Mar 2013 : 07:15:39

A few months from now, we would know the answer to this question. While waiting (impatiently), let’s thrown in our conjectures and discuss pertinent issues about this yet another RSE.

The blurbs of the first three novels of the six-book Sundering series all allude to the involvement of Shade. Will Shade Enclave then play a key role in this event? Or Shar? Perhaps a Shadowstorm in whole new level?

Given that Ed is given the honor and privilege to take the helm in this project, I’m having a feeling Mystra will again play a heavy-handed part. But in what manner? Maybe the destruction of the Weave and Mystra’s death have disrupted the time stream or space-time continuum to the point that all timelines now co-exist at the same time. It will make sense, especially if the authors wish to write in different centuries (or editions). It’s sort of an unending time travel or time shift, but unlike in many books that utilize this concept, the characters have less control in what century they’d be implanted in. In a way, it will also “undo” the deaths of several lost gods.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CorellonsDevout Posted - 08 Apr 2013 : 23:36:33
According to the Grand History of the Realms:

17600:
Hundreds of High Mages assemble in the heartland of Faerun at the Gathering Place. Ignoring the lesson learned from the destruction of Tintageer centuries earlier [-24500], they cast a spell of elven High Magic deisgned to create a glorious elf homeland. On the Day of Birthing, the magic reaches its apex as the spell extends both back and forward in the mists of time. Faerun, the one land, is sundered apart by the unbridled force of the Sundering. As a result, hundreds of cities are washed away, thousands of elves lie dead, and the face of Toril is changed forever. The name Faerun, no longer the One Land, is given to the largest continent. Surrounded by vast expanses of water, the island of Evermeet [-9800], thought to be a piece of Arvandor and a bridge between worlds, breaks the surface of the Trackless Sea [-675]. Blessed by the goddess Angharradh, verdant forests and wildlife soon flourish across the island. Corellon Larethian wards Evermeet against Lolth, Malar, and the other powers of the anti-Seldarine and entrusts a unique seed to the Fair Folk of the isle...

Elaine Cunningham's Evermeet: Island of Elves probably has some info too, but it's been years since I've read it.
Aryalómë Posted - 07 Apr 2013 : 20:09:51
There seems to be a lot of conflicting information about the creation of Evermeet and The Sundering. In earlier editions, I don't recall ever reading anything about The Sundering and Evermeet. If I recall correctly, Evermeet was a gift to the Elves from The Seldarine (or something along those lines) and was first founded by the Gold Elves of Aryvandaar.
Arcanus Posted - 07 Apr 2013 : 10:07:23
quote:
Originally posted by Ze

Guys, I'm not sure whether this was already clarified before - I'not into 4e Realmslore at all - but is it just coincidence that this RSE is called just like the Sundering occurred on -17600 DR?
As far as I understand that event affected time itself, so it would be consistent with the "reboot" option mention above in this scroll... Although in this case I'd expect more of a time-loop connecting past to present, which would give to players the option to choose the time setting of their campaigns (yeah I know we don't actually need them to tell us we can do that, but still...).
In my mind, this would fit in well with the intention of 5e to appeal to players both old and new.

I know it sounds confusing, sorry. :)

The earlier sundering was named so when the elves created Evermeet. If i recall correctly then the shockwaves moved forwards in time destroying Ao's work in creating the barrier between the worlds of Abeir and Toril.
Aryalómë Posted - 06 Apr 2013 : 14:07:17
When the deities return, can they have god like powers instead of being super powered (im)mortals?
Ze Posted - 06 Apr 2013 : 13:29:35
Guys, I'm not sure whether this was already clarified before - I'not into 4e Realmslore at all - but is it just coincidence that this RSE is called just like the Sundering occurred on -17600 DR?
As far as I understand that event affected time itself, so it would be consistent with the "reboot" option mention above in this scroll... Although in this case I'd expect more of a time-loop connecting past to present, which would give to players the option to choose the time setting of their campaigns (yeah I know we don't actually need them to tell us we can do that, but still...).
In my mind, this would fit in well with the intention of 5e to appeal to players both old and new.

I know it sounds confusing, sorry. :)
sleyvas Posted - 05 Apr 2013 : 20:46:03
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

@Sleyvas your right that is some wild conjecture. Interesting, but wild.

LOL, yeah, I'm kind of having fun coming up with just wild ideas on this thread. I know I'll never predict what's really going on. Here's another. By the way, when I say Mystra the second, I mean the one after Mystryl.

Larloch was creating the blueflame magic items as a means of consolidating the magical energies left behind by the destruction of Mystra (the 2nd). He was using his liches to power it because the magic that had been used to create their phylacteries was internalized and was purely of the weave when Mystra (the 2nd) was in control. The individuals captured in the blueflame items contained a mortal soul, which can actually naturally hold more deific energy than an undead. However, the individuals so entrapped became insane due to the rage of Mystra (the 2nd) from being torn apart during the ToT (i.e. her mind is shattered and therefore instilling them with her energy fractured their own minds).

Larloch's attempt to use his liches to corrupt a portion of the weave in 1374 DR also played into this creation of the blueflame items, but how isn't quite revealed as yet.
The Madmage Posted - 05 Apr 2013 : 17:25:28
quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus

I don't like the whole premise of the shadow weave, never have.

I didn't mind it... had they not included it in the same chapter of the 3E FRCS along with all the other player stuff. I'd have preferred it obscured in the DM sections to allow DMs to surprise players with it.

Gyor Posted - 05 Apr 2013 : 16:30:17
@Sleyvas your right that is some wild conjecture. Interesting, but wild.

Dennis Posted - 05 Apr 2013 : 13:53:58

Could we have something where the gods are just in the background, instead of playing heavy-handed roles?
sleyvas Posted - 05 Apr 2013 : 13:38:16
Wild conjecture time again:

the vestiges of Mystra (the second) and Mystryl will both return and try to take over the weave. One of her halves will be subsumed by Leira. The other aspect will seize the newly returning goddess Isis and god Thoth and force them to aid and submit to her.
Madpig Posted - 05 Apr 2013 : 11:36:44
quote:
Originally posted by Euranna

You know, I think the Crystal Shard might actually be in the plane of Shadow. So, this might make sense. I could be wrong though. I know it was on another plane that bumped up against the Prime Material (well, pre 4e cosmology anyway).

This might also spell the return of Cadderly. Cause Ghost King was imprisoned by him. And i think that Cadderly never really died. But this is just my dream, as Cadderly was one of my faovorite characters.
see Posted - 05 Apr 2013 : 09:36:14
quote:
Originally posted by Apex

Is it possible that we get a "reset" to the grey box through the Sundering?

I doubt it. It looks to me like the latest set of new guys are going to take their turns hitting FR with a sledgehammer.
Dennis Posted - 30 Mar 2013 : 08:28:10

Not really a fan of pirates. But I've encountered pirates in other settings and I didn’t find most of them boring or annoying, so, yes, while this is not the usual protagonist that Richard writes, I might still give the book a try. Most especially, I should note, that he’s included some Red Wizards (who are, hopefully, competent and not the Zola type).
Gyor Posted - 29 Mar 2013 : 20:57:46
Some nations on the Sea of Fallen Stars both past and present Mulhorand, Unther, Cormyr, Sembia, Akanul, Thesk, Algorand, Chessenta, Chondath, Nathlan, Turmish, Westgate. While Netheril proper doesn't share a border, Shade controls Sembia and sometimes sends the City of Sakkor to keep an eye on things. also Seroes under the waves and The Abolethic Soveriegnty floating above it, makes for all kinds of interesting opportunities for the novel The Reaver. The hero himself is Turmish I believe.
Gyor Posted - 29 Mar 2013 : 20:22:58
I am curious about what important events within the Sundering each of the books cover. The Reaver for example is set around the Sea of Fallen Stars so something important is going to happen in that region.
Dennis Posted - 29 Mar 2013 : 15:04:55
quote:

I have a feeling Shar's going to try and pull Abier and Toril into the Shadowfell, trapping everyone in that dark realm forever. Mawhahahaha.;D
Try, yes. Succeed, no.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Mar 2013 : 14:50:08
quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus

Ditto. I don't see that it does anything for the setting other than make Shar more prominent and to focus on the previously non-existent war between Shar and Mystra. It also elevates Shade to the position of über-baddies, at the expense of many other groups previously detailed in Realmslore.
Gyor Posted - 29 Mar 2013 : 14:24:41
I have a feeling Shar's going to try and pull Abier and Toril into the Shadowfell, trapping everyone in that dark realm forever. Mawhahahaha. ;D
Arcanus Posted - 29 Mar 2013 : 09:51:19
Dennis Posted - 29 Mar 2013 : 04:33:24

Not just the Weave, but the Shadow Weave as well (which also collapsed during the Spellplague). That's probably what Shade is trying to do (as hinted in the blurb of The Adversary)—kidnapping the Chosen of several gods to siphon their magic and knowledge and help Shar reconstruct the Shadow Weave.
The Sage Posted - 29 Mar 2013 : 01:27:10
quote:
Originally posted by Euranna

Without giving too much away, Mystra's Return predates The Sundering I believe.
Yes, as part of the "Sage of Shadowdale" saga.
quote:
Perhaps her reclaiming of the Weave may play a part?
I'd expect it would be something more akin to the restoration of the [New] Weave -- rather than a reclamation, and toward a re-establishment of a more vibrantly fortified Realms-Weave connection that would never again suffer from the whims of both mortals-who-should-know-better and mad gods.
Gyor Posted - 29 Mar 2013 : 01:11:25
Perhaps return is the wrong word. Perhaps rebuilding would be better.
Euranna Posted - 29 Mar 2013 : 00:36:28
Without giving too much away, Mystra's Return predates The Sundering I believe. Perhaps her reclaiming of the Weave may play a part?
The Sage Posted - 28 Mar 2013 : 23:33:38
quote:

So so far what we know about the Sundering is:

[...]

Mystra is returning.

[...]
I don't think it's simply a matter of saying "Mystra is returning" in an event referred to as 'The Sundering.' The return of Mystra would be more appropriately tied to something like 'The Reunification,' for example.

It just sounds far too incongruous for me to believe it's that easy. I get that you're just listing what we can expect from this event, but I also don't believe Mystra's return will be anything but an event it and of itself.
Euranna Posted - 28 Mar 2013 : 19:12:59
You know, I think the Crystal Shard might actually be in the plane of Shadow. So, this might make sense. I could be wrong though. I know it was on another plane that bumped up against the Prime Material (well, pre 4e cosmology anyway).
Gyor Posted - 28 Mar 2013 : 18:02:25
Just noticed but the second Sundering adventure is called Legacy of the Crystal Shard.

Not much is said in the Blurb, but RA Salvatore is one of the authors so its obviously a reference to the Cystal Shard from his books. How the shard impacts on the Sundering I don't know.
Gyor Posted - 28 Mar 2013 : 16:53:36
Anyways back on topic in addition to the novels thier is an adventure with mini setting called Murder in Baldur's Gate, Sundering Adventure 1 one coming out.

I appears to be happening and related to the events of the Sundering. An ancient evil thought slain is rising again.

They call it an adventure, but it seems more, not only does it have a 32 page adventure book, its got 64 page setting book on Baldur's Gate! And a four paneled DM screen.

Not sure if that clears anything up abit about the Sundering or not yet.

So so far what we know about the Sundering is:

Abier and Toril are splitting up.

The Pantheon will be repaired aka AO is recreating the tablets of fate

Their will be war.

Shade has a hint of what's coming thanks to prophecies.

Shade is capturing Chosen on Shar's behalf for a Dastardly plot.

Mystra is returning.

Drizzt may be the Chosen of Mialiki (sorry for miss spelling that)

The Powers of Hell are invovled and in play in at least two of the novels The Godborn and the Advesary.

The Geographic and most likely the political dynamic will be changing.

While it Mulhorandi and other areas are likely returning, some stuff from Abier will stay and there will be portals between Abier and Toril.

A murder in Baldur's Gate will happen and it will be related to a evil thought slain.

Its will tie into 5e.

They are trying to return to a feel closer to the Realms roots.

The Red Walker Posted - 28 Mar 2013 : 15:59:01
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

Like, "Elminster thinks gay marriage is ok" ? :p

Wow...that's random..... Was that meant for another scroll?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Mar 2013 : 15:20:01
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

I'm afraid I'm not seeing how this comment relates to the discussion at hand...
Caladan Brood Posted - 28 Mar 2013 : 14:34:54

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000