Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Pro and Semi-Pro Designers come here....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
althen artren Posted - 09 Dec 2012 : 20:33:06
A friend of mine has recently gotten a publisher
for his game world, and has asked me to be
a module writer/designer. I have all ready asked
Ed, now I seek everybody imput. What makes for good design?
What should I avoid, and what should I do? Don't hold
anything back, as someday I would maybe like to make
some money in the future doing this. I will be going
over some of the old modules later tonight to see what was
done.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Matt James Posted - 10 Dec 2012 : 23:16:32
For adventure design, give the reader exactly what they need to present the world around them. Think of an adventure as a toolbox. You're providing the storyteller what they need to present a compelling and interesting situation. Learning the basics of what makes a story can only help. Every story has a compelling hook. Next, focus on how things might resolve (resolution). The smart adventure designers conceal any hard-coded solutions/resolutions. The players need to feel/know that their decisions allowed for the conclusion. Note: It takes time to craft adventures/stories where failure is a granted and acceptable resolution. Avoid trying to be clever with twists. Keep it simple and focus on the story (can I repeat that enough?).

Capture the attention the players the right way, and it can really lead to a memorable experience.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 10 Dec 2012 : 21:03:34
Structure.

An adventure is a story, and it should feel like one. An adventure should start with a surprise, go down a notch to let the heroes catch their breath, then steadily increase back up in tension until the climax. Follow the stress-relief-stress-climax model of a good story.

Also, good design is two things: accessible (whether that's because it's simple or just extremely intuitive) and memorable.

Players should be able to figure out the core of the adventure you're on without trying too hard--sure, there might be surprises and twists along the way, but the core is always clear to them: do something about the dragon; find the powerful treasure; save the cheerleader, save the world; etc.

Also, you should try to design to be just as accessible to people who are VERY familiar with your world (i.e. will pick up on all kinds of little clues and hints about the Realms, for instance) as those who haven't even heard of it before. Ask yourself what is timeless and iconic about your story--what will anyone be able to relate to, regardless of background?

Players need to be excited going through the adventure--really driven to accomplish their goals and really, really hating the bad guy. And when it comes time for the big bad to show himself and the final battle to commence, pull out all the stops and go big (or go home). Take no prisoners and make it cool.

Cheers
Markustay Posted - 10 Dec 2012 : 15:23:53
Time.

I often find that 'awesome' ideas I have (at the time) aren't so awesome down the road. I've looked back on threads where I talked about concepts I was positively in love with at the time, and a year later I was like, "what was I thinking?!" Don't think of RPG design as a 'mill' where you need to just keep cranking-out material on short notice. Thats how you wind-up with stuff like 'The Headless Zhent'. Give yourself time to mull-over everything you write - let it ferment for a bit, and see what others think. Sometimes you have to toss ideas out, but more often you figure-out better ways to spin things.

Avoid things that are "Too Cute". This is a piece of advice I got while I was working with a beloved FR designer recently on a 'secret project' (not really so secret), and I kept having those 'kewl ideas' (and drove him a little nuts). Fortunately I had someone who had a monumental amount of REAL design experience behind me to nudge me back in the right direction. What I realized is that things that would annoy you if others did them (puns, RW names worked into the lore, etc) you yourself would be prone to do, because you don't hold yourself to the same standards you hold others (at least, I didn't). You have to look at everything you wrote and try to put yourself in someone else's shoes and ask yourself, "if I were reading this for the first time and didn't know the person writing it, how would I feel about it?"

I guess what I am driving at is that way too often we see bits and pieces of people's 'home games' work their way into the published Realms, and I don't care who that person is (other then Ed), that stuff was designed with your friends in mind. Every group is different, and what one group would love another group might ask "What the fudge?!"

So avoid lore that actually sounds homebrew... even though technically, it ALL is. Keep it 'mature', and keep the 'inside jokes' out of it as much as possible. Also, derivations are okay if they are more like homages, rather then direct C&P. So an Egypt-like culture is good; one that actually IS ancient Egyptians (who still worship Egyptian gods) is NOT.

And Ed's number one piece of advice to other designers (and words to live by) - for every 'loose end' or plothook you use up, create three new ones.
sleyvas Posted - 10 Dec 2012 : 04:00:26
I loved the "Eye of Myrkul" dungeon adventure. I was so interested in it that I wanted to know what was happening that same night in other areas of the realms.
George Krashos Posted - 09 Dec 2012 : 22:58:13
I think that adventures have moved very much away from the linear "You are sitting in the [insert generic name here] tavern and are approached by ..."-trope. Cool adventures in my view have a fleshed out backdrop and background and provide a mini-campaign and setting from which the adventure can be played and used to create other adventures.

The adventure should be structured such that there is more than one way to "skin the dragon" (i.e. multiple paths to the grand climax) and there should be rewards for roleplaying, doing things a certain way (e.g. negotiating a way past the monster instead of just killing it) as well as killing the baddie and taking his stuff. The best adventures in my view have a unique mechanic to them which builds with the adventurers' actions (in the Realms, Eric Boyd is the master of this - see his "Eye of Myrkul" DUNGEON adventure or his "Shadowdale" one). Their actions or inactions have consequences and shape how the adventure pans out. I also think it's good to showcase new monsters, items and magic in adventures so at the most basic level, someone can get something more than a simple play session or sessions out of it.

Best of luck with your writing endeavours!

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000