Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dwarven Exile

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Fellfire Posted - 27 May 2012 : 02:47:26
With the release of Pathfinder's latest adventure path, Skulls & Shackle and Pirates of the Caribbean being all over my television my thoughts turn to pirates. I had thought about a dwarven pirate captain, perhaps a follower of Abbathor. My question is this, what crime would preclude exile from any given dwarven kingdom? I assume murder would merit capital punishment, and simple theft might only require the chopping off of a hand (though that may tie nicely with traditional pirate tropes). So, any thoughts?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Markustay Posted - 27 May 2012 : 15:58:15
To a dwarf, there is no greater dishonor then to hold one's valuables (including close family members) above the clan.

For instance, if a Dwarf (mother or father) knew a war was brewing - a war that would be very hard and one they may not win - and they sent their son away to live with relatives in a distant hold, that would be dishonorable. I also think that if a mother did this behind the father's back, the father would take the blame and exile upon himself, rather then let his mate be punished for loving her children too much (and fertile females are a valuable commodity to dwarves).

Anything else - greed, hording, even unfair business practices (like sabotaging a rival's work), etc... would all be consider dishonorable by dwarves, more so because these things are buried deep within their nature, and to give in to such base desires would make them like the Duergar.

There is also self-exile (and punishment): A dwarf may hold himself accountable if he failed to properly protect his lord (this is something they share with elves).

They are rigidly structured society, based upon untold millenia of dealing with adversity (and foes much larger and more powerful then themselves). They have learned through harsh experience that through unity there is strength - any deviation from that unity would be considered both criminal and immoral.

How many of you have seen the (excellent) movie Happy Feet? Now picture the Emperor Penguins as Dwarves... surprising how well it works, eh? Right down to the Scottish accent of the elders.

Oh... and the little penguins are gnomes.
Ayrik Posted - 27 May 2012 : 15:23:21
If the clan/society is particularly rigid and totalitarian, even speaking out against Authoritah or failing to pay your taxes could be seen as the most serious crime, treated (in legal terms) as being more heinous than even murder and rape. The laws passed by judges and magistrates (who are, after all, appointed in large part through their political or popular connections) might be a constant compromise between "justice" demanded by the population snd "justice" demanded by the political leadership.

So, your dwarven pirate's "crime" might be something most people (outside the clan) would view as morally and ethically acceptable behaviour - he could have simply challenged the authority of a tyrant, and failed.

On the other side of the coin, he might be an incorrigible rogue with a history of exploiting people (and a few angry or vengeful victims) at every port. Sort of a darker dwarven version of Jack Sparrow, always bumping into problems from his past.
Fellfire Posted - 27 May 2012 : 05:46:01
Graverobbing. That could work. It fits with the insatiable greed theme I'm going for. Perhaps even a branding, on the face, an indelible mark known to all dwarves coupled with exile. That might be enough to drive a dwarf out to sea and into a life of piracy.
sfdragon Posted - 27 May 2012 : 05:20:35
in the realms. let goblins enter and run a muck in the clan hold. relief one self in the dwarven holy water., descecrate a dwarven temple of one of the dwarf gods.
or there is self imposed exile for whatever reason.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 May 2012 : 04:49:02
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Let's not forget self-exiled dwarves. A family member who "blemishes" the reputation of the whole family/clan might be put to death or sentenced to life imprisonment; and some members of the family, though are still allowed to stay, choose to leave the kingdom. Who wouldn't, when almost all the people outside your family circle throw you an accusing look?

I'm thinking expatriate, myself.

It could be something much simpler, like wanting to marry outside the clan and being forbidden to do so, or being the losing one of two dwarven lads competing for the same dwarven maid.

It could be a dwarf like Elaine's character Ebenezer, in Thornhold: someone who is simply too afflicted by wanderlust to want to stay cooped up underground.

Or you could do something really off the wall: the dwarf was originally a human, and was slain. He was reincarnated by a sea druid, and came back as a dwarf!
Dennis Posted - 27 May 2012 : 03:34:03

Grave theft. For instance, stealing an heirloom from the royal family. That's blatant disrespect to the royal family. In other words, intolerable. Depending on the king's mercy, the sentence could be life imprisonment, death, or exile.

Let's not forget self-exiled dwarves. A family member who "blemishes" the reputation of the whole family/clan might be put to death or sentenced to life imprisonment; and some members of the family, though are still allowed to stay, choose to leave the kingdom. Who wouldn't, when almost all the people outside your family circle throw you an accusing look?
Lord Karsus Posted - 27 May 2012 : 03:20:36
-Dishonor and bringing shame to the clan/nation, where a crime isn't necessarily committed. For example, perhaps cowardice in battle? Actions that weren't necessarily criminal or illegal in nature, but led to events that were ultimately very bad for the clan/nation and can be traced to poor judgement on part of the Dwarf? Being a societal pariah?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000