Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Are the different Realms too generic?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Eladrinstar Posted - 09 May 2012 : 05:15:35
Because of the gaming environment, it sometimes feels like every region of Faerun has to have everything, and it feels like there isn't enough difference in the societies, peoples, and even monsters from country-to-country. It sometimes seems like the borders don't really mean anything.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 09 May 2012 : 23:36:39
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Or something would replace US. Why beholders haven't taken over the world is beyond me (they made much more sense when they were solitary).
Can beholders actually reproduce? I guess they can, though the I'd have to look in my Lords of Madness book for the mechanics.

The dispersion of fantasy races doesn't trouble me too much. It's probably mostly a question of numbers. Of the organized, disciplined races, humans reproduce the fastest, so they're able to dominate most of the land. Races like the elves, dwarves, etc., are able to hold their own through power and skill, and through treaties and diplomacy. Orcs are pests that haven't yet been exterminated (again, because of the numbers thing). The vast majority of "lesser races" exist as isolated tribes that adventurers can run across--we've seen countless kingdoms of so-called greater races fall into this kind of barbarism (Serpent Kingdoms, dragons, etc).

Also, magic is a great equalizer and a fulcrum around which the laws of competition and evolution get warped.

Cheers
Thauranil Posted - 09 May 2012 : 21:42:02
Frankly I would like too see more deciptions of the Shining lands, maybe a couple of novel series or something.
After all why should the fate of the realms always be decided on the Sword Coast?
Markustay Posted - 09 May 2012 : 20:27:06
My own opinion is more along the lines that everything in D&D is TOO MUCH for any one world - how many intelligent species could possibly all co-exist on a planet?

How could there be so many dragons, and entire regions aren't stripped bare? That sort of thing - things are badly out-of-balance. Its not so much a Realms-thing, as it is a D&D thing.

I think FR has a level of civilization much higher then its tech would indicate (because of the unnatural limitations placed on tech). It makes perfect sense for a world with magic, and numerous portals/gates, to be far more cosmopolitan then a typical Medieval-fantasy world. Think of our RW, and how high-speed travel has changed it. very few cultures are isolated any more.

As for the borders - the preponderance of non-human races, which do not compete for the same exact terrain humans do - would lead to a very different sort of national structure, so it makes some sense. Countries can exist within other countries in a fantasy world, without the same kind of problems we'd wind-up with here on earth.

With evolution (and the humans and normal animals DO evolve, whether you think others do or not) we see species diversify dependent upon available resources. On our world, humans are not limited by other races, and we evolve into to taking advantage of various terrains and locales. That would not have occurred (as prevalently) on a fantasy world, where elves violently kept you out of THEIR forests.

With the non-human races in decline, it makes sense that humans are now moving into these areas more and more. If the demi-humans are not in decline, the paradigm makes no sense - one race will attempt to annihilate another. If humans cannot get along with each other, how much worse would it be with 'aliens'?

The reason why 'fantasy creatures in decline' is such a popular trope is because IT MAKES SENSE. Humans would destroy orcs (and everyone else) just like Cro-magnon replaced Neanderthal.

Or something would replace US. Why beholders haven't taken over the world is beyond me (they made much more sense when they were solitary).
Lord Karsus Posted - 09 May 2012 : 19:09:35
-In terms of things like borders not meaning much, keep in mind that borders are political things. If you're comparing the differences between the people of Cormyr and Sembia, you're not going to find many differences, since they're culturally the same people. You're not going to find too many cultural differences between the people of the U.S. and Canada, either. The majority people are all, by and large, coming from the same cultural stock. Compare further, to people in Cormyr and people in Rasheman, and you get more cultural differences. Further contrast the people in Cormyr and the people in Wa, and you get plenty more cultural differences.
Eladrinstar Posted - 09 May 2012 : 18:48:40
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I had asked a question along these lines of Ed some time ago. I think I never got a proper answer.

Basically, I feel that the 'Everythingness' of the Reams curtails the ability of writers (and DMs) to tell compelling stories.

Not saying it can't be done, just saying it becomes epically hard to do so.

There is a reason Superman can't go near Kryptonite - everything needs limits. Right now, FR really doesn't have any. It becomes farcical, after a point.

You're saying it much better than I am.
Delwa Posted - 09 May 2012 : 17:59:09
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
The Realms has its own flavor, but it also depends on the flavor you give it as a DM or writer or designer. One of its biggest strengths (and weaknesses) is that it can be adapted to match whatever you want,

Agreed. I run mostly out of the 3E Campaign Guide and use 2E Lore when I want a little more flavor. A lot of making different regions unique is reading into the geography and seeing what types of monsters would fit the region.
It's a DM's decision ultimately, whether you find Black Dragons in the Vast Swamp or just Lizardmen.
The lack of detail makes it easy to be creative, but hard to just fall back on a book when you're out of ideas.
That's one reason Candlekeep is so helpful. I can search scrolls here and see what others have done if I'm at a loss for ideas.
Markustay Posted - 09 May 2012 : 17:55:24
I had asked a question along these lines of Ed some time ago. I think I never got a proper answer.

Basically, I feel that the 'Everythingness' of the Reams curtails the ability of writers (and DMs) to tell compelling stories.

Not saying it can't be done, just saying it becomes epically hard to do so.

There is a reason Superman can't go near Kryptonite - everything needs limits. Right now, FR really doesn't have any. It becomes farcical, after a point.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 09 May 2012 : 16:26:30
I think the drive has been to make the Realms really, really big to accomodate all kinds of play styles and stories, which is a good thing. On the flipside, in trying to wrap your head around all of it, it's easy to put the various regions and "Realms" into boxes that align with classic fantasy themes and tropes.

The Realms has its own flavor, but it also depends on the flavor you give it as a DM or writer or designer. One of its biggest strengths (and weaknesses) is that it can be adapted to match whatever you want, really.

Cheers
Eladrinstar Posted - 09 May 2012 : 07:11:52
Maybe there just hasn't been enough detail published on each Realm for players to get a feel for what it is like there. Too adventure oriented, which I guess makes sense from a gaming perspective.
Eladrinstar Posted - 09 May 2012 : 05:43:58
Nope. I didn't. That book just made the problem even worse.
Therise Posted - 09 May 2012 : 05:19:05
quote:
Originally posted by Eladrinstar

Because of the gaming environment, it sometimes feels like every region of Faerun has to have everything, and it feels like there isn't enough difference in the societies, peoples, and even monsters from country-to-country. It sometimes seems like the borders don't really mean anything.

You must have the 4th Edition Campaign Guide.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000